As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chrono Trigger] The black wind howls...

• Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    CC is not a bad game taken on itself, but it's just not a proper follow up to a game as strong as CT. Once again, I think the writers just did not know what they were doing. There were WAY too many characters for one thing. I for one would only have included a brief few.
    Serge
    Kid
    Glenn
    Karsh
    Norris
    The robot cyborg guy
    Orlha
    Maybe another to act as a healer

Each of them would have more unique abilities and spells along with the elements.

I would not have killed Lucca (I still think she escaped and is somewhere in the timestream now) Do we have any actual proof she died?
    As for Crono and Marle, I don't know if I would have spared them. It could be an interesting twist. Plus if it really is Dalton who is now leading Porre, he would be a great end or near end boss.

I woud have cut out all the environmentalist crap, as that did absolutely NOTHING for the game at all.

It just feels like CT was the real thing while CC was semi-skilled fanfiction of the real thing.

Matthew on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    'Environmentalist crap'? What the fuck are you talking about? Aside from the destruction of the Hydra Marshes by man, which is an important plot point, there isn't much besides that. I think CC completely rapes CT plotwise, and I fucking love CT's storyline.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think CC completely rapes CT plotwise, and I fucking love CT's storyline.

I enjoyed CC a lot more then most people, but seriously...

Get out. Now.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »

Get out. Now.

onoopinions. I've played this game on here before, so I honestly don't mind if people harp on me for loving both games, one more than the other. Sorry it's not the original :P

I like how saying I love CT's plot still means people are gonna get all bitchy. That's wonderful.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Get out. Now.

onoopinions. I've played this game on here before, so I honestly don't mind if people harp on me for loving both games, one more than the other. Sorry it's not the original :P

I like how saying I love CT's plot still means people are gonna get all bitchy. That's wonderful.

I'm fine with you liking CC better overall, but saying CC has the better plot is just insane. CCs convoluted pile of shit of a plot doesn't measure up to CTs simple, clean, and well-written one. Also, the reason I get bitchy is you use words like "completely rapes" which implies CC's plot is leagues better than CTs, when its fucking worse.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm playing CT again, and still enjoying it quite a bit, but I am again reminded of the awkward "emotional" scenes.

Like, after getting Marle back at the end of the first visit to 600 A.D. The music suddenly switches to something that's supposed to be touching, and there's this stilted dialogue about how Crono really does care about her. It completely and utterly fails to inspire any emotional response.

The overall plot is quite interesting, but the dialogue(like all or most older RPGs I've played) isn't impressive. I cannot remember whether I thought the dialogue in CC was better.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Septus wrote: »
    I'm playing CT again, and still enjoying it quite a bit, but I am again reminded of the awkward "emotional" scenes.

Like, after getting Marle back at the end of the first visit to 600 A.D. The music suddenly switches to something that's supposed to be touching, and there's this stilted dialogue about how Crono really does care about her. It completely and utterly fails to inspire any emotional response.

The overall plot is quite interesting, but the dialogue(like all or most older RPGs I've played) isn't impressive. I cannot remember whether I thought the dialogue in CC was better.

Dialogue is a moot point in games where the protagonist is silent. It's those kind of games where you make up your own dialogue out of context.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Get out. Now.

I'm fine with you liking CC better overall, but saying CC has the better plot is just insane. CCs convoluted pile of shit of a plot doesn't measure up to CTs simple, clean, and well-written one. Also, the reason I get bitchy is you use words like "completely rapes" which implies CC's plot is leagues better than CTs, when its fucking worse.
    Uh, this is all your opinion, just as what Zephyr said was his. Sorry, but Chrono Trigger's plot isn't somehow objectively better than Cross's simply because you like it better.

Graviija on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    CT's dialogue and storyline also seem a lot better if you approach it in the same mindset as you would approach a saturday morning cartoon. It works like that. When I first played CT I had played CC first, and was expecting something other than that, and didn't quite like it as much. Playing it with a bit more of a carefree mind makes it a much better experience, and I can now say that CT is better than CC.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Graviija wrote: »

Get out. Now.

Uh, this is all your opinion, just as what Zephyr said was his. Sorry, but Chrono Trigger's plot isn't somehow objectively better than Cross's simply because you like it better.

Well, I think CT's plot is superior simply because CC's plot wouldn't exist without CT.

Can I has cheezburger?

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Get out. Now.

Except that CC's plot is objectively worse because its a convoluted mess with terrible characters to push said convoluted plot along.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Get out. Now.

There is such a thing as objectively better writing. There are very few people who would say that, for instance, Ian Fleming was a better writer than William Faulkner, and there's a reason for it.

With video games it's a little bit muddier because there are elements to take into consideration other than simply writing. For me, in the Chrono series, it boils down to this: CT has a few moderately developed characters, and a consistent, tightly-written storyline. CC has dozens of poorly-developed characters, a meandering plot that's constantly throwing wrenches in on itself for no good reason. Does this mean that CT's writing is objectively "better" than CC, the way Faulkner is objectively "better" than Fleming?

Well, maybe, maybe not. CT certainly adheres more to traditional narrative techniques as far as its construction goes. This is not to say that CC is a bad game - I probably logged about 200 hours on it, myself - but the writing certainly seems inferior to me. I actually thought that Radical Dreamers was a much better written game than CC, albeit nowhere near as enjoyable... but I guess when it's a text-only game the writing needs to be pretty damn good.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Get out. Now.

Except that CC's plot is objectively worse because its a convoluted mess with terrible characters to push said convoluted plot along.
    You know, I can think of a more efficient way to frame this 'debate'.

I'll stand over here, and loudly yell, "OPINIONS"
    You stand over there, and loudly yell, "OPINIONS"

I think we've saved a lot of time here.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well look at what duffel said then, since he explained it much better than I did.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You know, I can think of a more efficient way to frame this 'debate'.

I'll stand over here, and loudly yell, "OPINIONS"
    You stand over there, and loudly yell, "OPINIONS"

I think we've saved a lot of time here.

You understand the definition of a debate? It's not attempting to prove yourself right. Instead, the goal is to make your opponent seem wrong, whether he is right or not.

I love Thank You for Smoking.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well, I'd say the point of a debate is ostensibly to get the person on the other side of the issue to agree with you.

But videogame nerds such as we are loathe to change our meaningless opinions.

Graviija on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    VIDEO GAME STORIES ALL SUCK AHUAHUAHUAHUAHUA

...Where were we? Oh, yeah, Chrono Trigger. It's a heck of a lot better paced than Cross. There's never a stretch (or at least never a big one) where you're wondering, 'What the heck am I going with this, anyway?'

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well, I'd say the point of a debate is ostensibly to get the person on the other side of the issue to agree with you.

But videogame nerds such as we are loathe to change our meaningless opinions.

LIES

ALL video gamer opinions are based on FACTS...

...that we found on teh intarwebz.

I am playing through CT, this time on the DS. I don't like it as much, but I think that's because I pretty much remember the entire script from the SNES version, and they've changed a LOT of the script. Sure, some was to clear up any vague points, but I LIKE my obscurity! It leaves more to the imagination.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    At least they cleaned up the massacre that was Frog's speech patterns. For that alone CTDS stands as the definitive version.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Duffel wrote: »

Get out. Now.

There is such a thing as objectively better writing. There are very few people who would say that, for instance, Ian Fleming was a better writer than William Faulkner, and there's a reason for it.

With video games it's a little bit muddier because there are elements to take into consideration other than simply writing. For me, in the Chrono series, it boils down to this: CT has a few moderately developed characters, and a consistent, tightly-written storyline. CC has dozens of poorly-developed characters, a meandering plot that's constantly throwing wrenches in on itself for no good reason. Does this mean that CT's writing is objectively "better" than CC, the way Faulkner is objectively "better" than Fleming?

Well, maybe, maybe not. CT certainly adheres more to traditional narrative techniques as far as its construction goes. This is not to say that CC is a bad game - I probably logged about 200 hours on it, myself - but the writing certainly seems inferior to me. I actually thought that Radical Dreamers was a much better written game than CC, albeit nowhere near as enjoyable... but I guess when it's a text-only game the writing needs to be pretty damn good.

Ian Fleming IS a better writer than William I'm going to go off in a tangent that makes no sense i'll call it stream of consciousness oh god oh god i won't use proper grammar either but thousands of college professors will call me intellectual and I'll become and american institution my mother is a fish Faulkner.

(Don't get me started, I hate the guy).

Anyway, I've never played CC, but what I like about CT's plot is that it's very fast-paced. It's the first RPG that I've played that I didn't get to a point where I just put it away for a few months and then come back to finish it by blowing through it with a strategy guide. Honestly, I really do think the pace of the game has more to do with what makes it a good game than the writing itself.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Get out. Now.

Ian Fleming IS a better writer than William I'm going to go off in a tangent that makes no sense i'll call it stream of consciousness oh god oh god i won't use proper grammar either but thousands of college professors will call me intellectual and I'll become and american institution my mother is a fish Faulkner.

(Don't get me started, I hate the guy).

Anyway, I've never played CC, but what I like about CT's plot is that it's very fast-paced. It's the first RPG that I've played that I didn't get to a point where I just put it away for a few months and then come back to finish it by blowing through it with a strategy guide. Honestly, I really do think the pace of the game has more to do with what makes it a good game than the writing itself.

Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

If you seriously think Fleming's rather blatant misogyny, silly plotting, manichean worldview and interchangeable characters are actually superior to Faulkner I encourage you to do your dissertation over it and prove it.

Yes, college professors who make their living studying and teaching literature tend to like faulkner. This is your evidence that it's not good? That's like saying that mechanics and automotive enthusiasts who view one car as being vastly more high-performance than another (say, a Viper vs. a Yugo) are wrong because you threw a spoiler on the Yugo that you like.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

If you seriously think Fleming's rather blatant misogyny, silly plotting, manichean worldview and interchangeable characters are actually superior to Faulkner I encourage you to do your dissertation over it and prove it.

Yes, college professors who make their living studying and teaching literature tend to like faulkner. This is your evidence that it's not good? That's like saying that mechanics and automotive enthusiasts who view one car as being vastly more high-performance than another (say, a Viper vs. a Yugo) are wrong because you threw a spoiler on the Yugo that you like.

Chrono Trigger has Vipers and Yugos?

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It has the Epoch.

The Epoch, in turn, has awesome music.

Pureauthor on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I was kind of making a joke. I simply don't like Faulkner's style. Of course he's technically a better writer than Fleming. But does that make him a better writer overall? All I know is that I found "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" much more enjoyable than "The Sound and the Fury" or "As I Lay Dying." But you know, that's like, my opinion, man. These questions are better suited for a literary criticism class...not a discussion on Chrono Trigger.

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I was kind of making a joke. I simply don't like Faulkner's style. Of course he's technically a better writer than Fleming. But does that make him a better writer overall? All I know is that I found "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" much more enjoyable than "The Sound and the Fury" or "As I Lay Dying." But you know, that's like, my opinion, man. These questions are better suited for a literary criticism class...not a discussion on Chrono Trigger.

Well, not liking his style is an entirely different beast than saying he's an objectively worse writer (and the point I was making just used those two authors as an illustrative example that some writing is simply better than others for various reasons - character development, believable plotlines, or simple prose and presentation - which, if it can't exactly be quantified, can usually be more or less agreed upon).

But yeah, it is off-topic.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I enjoyed the complexity of CC's issues -- and while it only had few developed characters of a massive cast, the ones who were developed were a lot more interesting and far more appealing to me than CT's cast (which, for the most part, are simply given a few lines of backstory and then shoveled to the sidelines). The Chrono series in general deals more with its world and concepts than the development of its characters, which is why I went into Chrono Cross not expecting it to change the paradigm. Instead, it delved in the complexities of time itself, the paradoxes of time travel, and the existence of alternate dimensions. The beauty of Chrono Cross's plot was not its lack of character development, or its characters in general, but the rich and vibrant world and the foundation which it was built upon (which are all, for better or worse, repercussions of the time traveling in Chrono Trigger).

I fucking love Faulkner's writing. The metaphorical verbosity of "As I Lay Dying" is hard to top, and I highly doubt that Fleming's work is of any comparable literary value. Hell, Faulker is considered part of the canon of Western literature itself. I don't believe Fleming is. Of course, I have not read Fleming, I am simply expressing disgust towards the unnecessary and uncalled-for Faulker-bashing.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've never really felt that CT's cast was very well developed.

Again, it's all about the interesting, fast-paced, and generally tightly-written plot that's good about it. Plus all the nifty gameplay decisions for the time period.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Septus wrote: »
    I've never really felt that CT's cast was very well developed.

Again, it's all about the interesting, fast-paced, and generally tightly-written plot that's good about it. Plus all the nifty gameplay decisions for the time period.

CT's characters are stock characters but they're well-done stock characters. Marle is the rebellious princess, Lucca is the teen genius, Frog is the military guy trying to regain his honor, Robo is the robot that's compassionate toward humans, Ayla is the crazy cave girl.

None of these are original characters, but they play off of each other in an interesting and believable way. By the end of the game you feel like they actually know each other and have bonded over the course of the journey. It's not literature, but it's very well-done entertainment. A well-handled stock character is much better than trying to attempt something original and failing at it, which a lot of game protagonists end up being.

For instance, I thought Fei Fong Wong was basically a huge and overcomplicated clusterfuck of a character and that the most interesting people in that game were the ones that got less screen time. Billy and his dad were particularly interesting, but we barely saw anything of them after you got through with the Stone/Stein subplot.

Duffel on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    VIDEO GAME STORIES ALL SUCK AHUAHUAHUAHUAHUA

...Where were we? Oh, yeah, Chrono Trigger. It's a heck of a lot better paced than Cross. There's never a stretch (or at least never a big one) where you're wondering, 'What the heck am I going with this, anyway?'

I have to agree here. Revisiting CT DS was a breeze.

I'm having quite a hard time revisiting CC, and I also enjoy the story. That much, at least, has held up very well.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    At least they cleaned up the massacre that was Frog's speech patterns. For that alone CTDS stands as the definitive version.

CTDS also has the Dimensional Vortex and the Lost Sanctum.
    As well as the shitty new ending.

I think the original wins.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I <3 CTDS's new ending. Ties everything up nice and tidy, and affirms a lot of current theories.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I really need to go back and get all the endings. I think I had four so far on a New Game+

Cameron_Talley on
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I prefer the DS version of CT but that Dreamseeker sword is flat-out overkill.

Also the Master's Crown plus Prism Specs makes an unending wall of pain.

YggiDee on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The new ending is messed up.

Just like most of Chrono Cross!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

STFU :(

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

STFU :(

Hey, I love Chrono Cross, don't get me wrong.

But bright and cheery it isn't.
    Lucca burning to death in an orphange? That's just mean.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I bought CT a few weeks ago since I've never played it before

This game nearly destroyed my life

Green on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    GET ALL THE ENDINGS

PLAY MORE

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait...was that Lucca thing ever confirmed? I remember something about a time distortion or some crap.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Green wrote: »
    I bought CT a few weeks ago since I've never played it before

This game nearly destroyed my life

How so?

Cameron_Talley on