As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OMEGATHON THREAD! (Bow down before your OMEGA-MASTERS)

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Should I show my GGaHT guitar GS picture now or wait a bit to intimidate people?

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Should I show my GGaHT guitar GS picture now or wait a bit to intimidate people?

How high of a GS? I've almost broken 510,000 before.

Still haven't 5* or GS'd Caprici di Diablo yet. I need to get on that.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Brex123Brex123 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

It's OK, you have intimidated me enough already. I have only beaten it once, and I see that as an accomplishment in and of itself.

Also, if I play any Bang Camaro, be prepared to weep. No matter how high they say the difficulty is, I always do very well (around 98% on expert) on those songs, especially the solos.

Brex123 on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If they are doing Rock Band again then it will probably be the The Beatles game. Might want to brush up on your singing abilities.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just want to see more JENGA!

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

How high of a GS? I've almost broken 510,000 before.

Still haven't 5* or GS'd Caprici di Diablo yet. I need to get on that.

478k is my high (damn outro and inability to combo the first solo). Still, not a chump score, since I don't need solo #2 bonus to get a GS. Came so damn close to a Caprici 5* once (one of the very small handful of songs I can't 5*).

<shameless plug>

whypick1 on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2009
    Qs23 wrote: »
    YES!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    YES!

This:
    giant-jenga-3.jpg

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    LTAcosta wrote: »
    YES!

This:
    giant-jenga-3.jpg

That's the kind of lady who looooooooooves her cats! :D

And the Rock Band round should definitely be no fail, just to keep the entertainment value, but contestants should know that if you really suck at hard, you can get higher scores on medium through streaks, so as not to have them miss most notes and sound awful.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i never understood the rock band rounds, in the idea that if one person sucks on your team then your whole team gets axed. It just goes against the whole 'best gamer evar' bit because youre simultaneously removing talented people who do a good job at coordination but lose because of someone else.

it seems unfair to the team. (granted, i suck at those games so im clearly biased)

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2009
    The Omegathon isn't about the "best gamer evar". If it was, it wouldn't be a random selection of pre-registrants.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Joey GekoJoey Geko Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I lost a decade to that goddamn game....

You people have no idea....

I get nervous, still! Heart races, palms start to sweat, hands shake. It's brutal... And I know how it ends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EGGeMYJyhk

Joey Geko on
    Douche-Bag, Intellectual, Elitist Scum, Well-read Traveler, Nabob, Member of the Class of Omeganaut '08. The Omeganaut.
  • Options
    crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Omegathon isn't about the "best gamer evar". If it was, it wouldn't be a random selection of pre-registrants.

right, but its the only round where you aren't necessarily judged by your merits. I, personally, wouldnt want to be the one responsible for my team not making it through.

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That's why you must train, train, train! And if all else fails, volunteer to be the singer. =) I've found that getting a high score in Rock Band on singing doesn't take singing talent as much as it does a willingness to not be afraid to embarrass yourself publicly: if you don't mind humming off-pitch until you find the right note quickly, you can ace it (of course, knowing the song and having singing talent help: but I've seen people who can't sing a note to save their life get high scores on Rock Band singing).

Even the Bass and Guitar can be improvised to decent effect without disasterous results on most songs (at least on Easy/Medium... though in Medium there's definitely a larger set of songs which could still lead to disaster for the inexperienced player)... I think the only one that truly requires a player who's played before would be the drums. There's a lot of stuff going on with the drums, even at the easiest level.

I wonder... would it be legal in the Omegathon to have one person both do guitar and sing, and have two people split drum duties? That could be an advanced technique if you find yourself on an inexperienced team... a good guitarist that knows the tricks of singing in rock band (or has a naturally good singing talent) could hold those off while two less skilled people split the glut of complex tasks that come with drums... like one person's on foot pedal duty or something. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    split the glut of complex tasks that come with drums... like one person's on foot pedal duty or something. =)

DUDE!

that is not a terrible idea!

(thankfully i can sing quite a few songs in rockband on expert. :D )

(I really suck at guitar & drums though :()

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That's okay! It actually presents an alternative:

* One person on guitar
    * One person on bass
    * One person doing the actual drums
    * One person doing the footpedal + singing

That could work too =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That's okay! It actually presents an alternative:

* One person on guitar
    * One person on bass
    * One person doing the actual drums
    * One person doing the footpedal + singing

That could work too =)

jeez vt, when did you get so damn smart?! seriously, that's a great idea!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    Brex123Brex123 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Will I be able to change my contact # for this call? I just realized that I may not be at home all that day, and want to change it to my cel #.

Brex123 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Brex123 wrote: »
    Will I be able to change my contact # for this call? I just realized that I may not be at home all that day, and want to change it to my cel #.
    I changed my phone number (in the event I get chosen for the Omegathon) this way:

Found the confirmation e-mail
    Hit the "Click if you did not print tickets" link
    Hit the help button in the top right
    Last radio button, next
    Filled out form, sent in, got reply in about 2 days

whypick1 on
  • Options
    shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I had a dream last night that I was picked as an Omeganaut, and that the final round was "lightning round Scrabble" where each contestant had approximately 10 seconds to lay down a word. Tiles were flying into the crowd as we violently, bouncing off of the board as we threw our letters down trying to beat our time limit.

I want so badly for that dream to become true. =)

lightning round scrabble would be awesome lol

I had a dream that the first round wasn't announced until the day of, and it turned out to be chess, but with no pawns... o_O It made sense in my dream somehow

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, noticed the phone number on my pre-reg was my home number, but I am scheduled to work on Wednesday.

So, like any good potential Omeganaut, I duped a co-worker into covering my shift. The phone shall not leave my hand from the time I get up untill I pass out from exhaustion or explode with joy if the call comes.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    CougRonCougRon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, noticed the phone number on my pre-reg was my home number, but I am scheduled to work on Wednesday.

So, like any good potential Omeganaut, I duped a co-worker into covering my shift. The phone shall not leave my hand from the time I get up untill I pass out from exhaustion or explode with joy if the call comes.

Do we have to be home when they call in order to be selected?

CougRon on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    CougRon wrote: »

You have to answer the phone, yeah.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    CougRon wrote: »

Correct. Gabe/Tycho (and maybe others) will call the phone number you used to register with (so it damn well better not be a fake one) to ask you if you want to be an Omeganaut. They will *NOT* call back if you don't answer, so it's best to stand directly under your nearest cell phone tower with your phone grafted onto the side of your skull to be sure you get the call, if they do call you.

whypick1 on
  • Options
    mavrick88mavrick88 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just had a good idea for the Final round, 1 vs 1 Modern Warfare 2

mavrick88 on
    I was driving some out-of-towner friends around, and I kept complaining about being blinded. They responded with "You see, where we come from, people tend to wear Sunglasses." I retorted with a simple "You people tend to have sun."
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    mavrick88 wrote: »

1vs1 in a large FPS would make for a super boring round.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    LoxlyLoxly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Them's the breaks.

Bummer. Understandable that no matter what day they'd call, someone would probably be at work or unable to take said call, but I still expected that they'd not pick a traditional work day. Ah well.

I'm in CST and they called me after five last year I was just getting out of the car from the drive home. Unfortunately, I had to tell them no since we had to cut Sunday short (for our honeymoon, but still). My husband still teases me. <Cue Ghostbuster Voice> When someone asks you if you are an Omeganaut, you say YES.

Bah, good luck to you! (and me, I've been instructed to say YES)

Loxly on
  • Options
    Zotron000Zotron000 Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    Does the time they called Loxly ring true for most? Is the call usually in the evening time?

Zotron000 on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I imagine that's heavily time zone dependent.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    zombiebotzombiebot Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zotron000 wrote: »
    Does the time they called Loxly ring true for most? Is the call usually in the evening time?

I'm in CST and I got my call around 1 p.m. I was at work and flipped out. :)

zombiebot on
    Chelseabot, fell victim Quake III, aka "Girl Killer" in 2007.
  • Options
    mavrick88mavrick88 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    mavrick88 wrote: »

1vs1 in a large FPS would make for a super boring round.

That's what small maps like shipment in COD4 are for.

mavrick88 on
    I was driving some out-of-towner friends around, and I kept complaining about being blinded. They responded with "You see, where we come from, people tend to wear Sunglasses." I retorted with a simple "You people tend to have sun."
  • Options
    KyoutekiKyouteki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Final round needs to be lightcycles TO THE DEATH

Kyouteki on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think for Rock Band you should get bonus points for being awesome.

Like, if you're the singer and you really get the crowd pumped up ("HELLOOOOO SEATTLE!!") or you're a guitarist and you really rock out like Michael J. Fox in Back to the Future or something, you should get some bonus points.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    NopeNope Frankfort, KYRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    *Looks at phone* Ring.....ring....RING YOU PHONE!.....*sigh* this is gonna be a long day.

Nope on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nope wrote: »
    *Looks at phone* Ring.....ring....RING YOU PHONE!.....*sigh* this is gonna be a long day.
    You're telling me. I'm heading to a PC cafe for a good portion of the day, and then I'm meeting a lady friend at her place this evening. I'm on EST time right now, though, so I'll be informing her that anything we're, ah, engaged in, will have to be put on hold if my phone rings. :P

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    DeusTrinitasDeusTrinitas Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You're telling me. I'm heading to a PC cafe for a good portion of the day, and then I'm meeting a lady friend at her place this evening. I'm on EST time right now, though, so I'll be informing her that anything we're, ah, engaged in, will have to be put on hold if my phone rings. :P

Only a gamer would put sex on hold for something gaming-related. I thought gaming instead of sex was bad enough, but stopping in the middle of sex for something gaming-related?

DeusTrinitas on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Only a gamer would put sex on hold for something gaming-related. I thought gaming instead of sex was bad enough, but stopping in the middle of sex for something gaming-related?
    Man, the sex is going to last for like an hour or so, Omegathon is stretched out over three days.

Besides, we can always start up again after I tell Tycho/Gabe how fucking excited I am.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    after I tell Tycho/Gabe how fucking excited I am.

literally :D

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    zombiebot wrote: »
    Zotron000 wrote: »

I'm in CST and I got my call around 1 p.m. I was at work and flipped out. :)

Dammit, I'm in CST and I have a meeting at 1:30pm. I'm going to be so disappointed if I miss it!

Hypatia on
  • Options
    rdldrrdldr Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Why stop? I think it'd be a good story for them to tell if you didnt!

"No jerry, it's fine, my girlfriend is just REALLY excited for me"

rdldr on
This discussion has been closed.