As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Tabletop Tournaments

PucSpifoPucSpifo Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
Alright, I'm laying down the final plans for TT tournaments and this is where I turn to the community to get some input and do my best to make PAX more community driven. First of all, the tentative schedule:

Friday: Settlers of Catan, Munchkin

Saturday: Settlers of Catan, Puerto Rico

Sunday: Settlers of Catan, RoboRally

This is all subject to change, and the times are still being determined, but there is the rough plan. So now to all of you: What other Tabletop tournaments would you like to play in or see run?

signature.png
PucSpifo on

• crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    any chance for Last Night on Earth?

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • mostlyharmlessmostlyharmless Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ninja Burger

mostlyharmless on
  • CHEESUSCHEESUS Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    POGS

CHEESUS on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Carcassone? Dominion? Citadels? All of those seem quick enough that you could run a tourney of them.

SlickShughes on
  • CenturyCentury Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    I second the Dominion request!

Century on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Woooooooo, Munchkin. I'm interested.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Carcassone?

Please? It's the only reason my girlfriend is coming to PAX with me :P

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • lunacitelunacite Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is there any interest in Warhammer 40k/Fantasy tournaments?

lunacite on
    PAX Tabletop Enforcer
  • Brex123Brex123 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    lunacite wrote: »

I would be interested in a 40K tourney. The only thing I am worried about is transporting my pieces safely on the plane. If there were rental pieces, or pieces I could borrow, I would be there in a heartbeat.

Brex123 on
    edited June 2009
    Brex123 wrote: »
    lunacite wrote: »

I would be interested in a 40K tourney. The only thing I am worried about is transporting my pieces safely on the plane. If there were rental pieces, or pieces I could borrow, I would be there in a heartbeat.

What army do you play?

mostlyharmless on
    edited June 2009
    What army do you play?

I am a Tau guy. I may be able to transport some of my stuff, but I am worried about my Crisis Suits mostly.

Brex123 on
    edited June 2009
    What army do you play?

I am a Tau guy. I may be able to transport some of my stuff, but I am worried about my Crisis Suits mostly.

I've got you covered. I play Tau in addition to my Templars. I have pretty much anything you'll need. PM me, and I'll list what I have.

mostlyharmless on
  • Cyrus112Cyrus112 Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    Risk 2210!

Cyrus112 on
  • FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What army do you play?

I've got you covered. I play Tau in addition to my Templars. I have pretty much anything you'll need. PM me, and I'll list what I have.

Add me to the list for 40K tournament interest, preferably on Saturday.

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The 3 Ms:
    Mechwarrior! XD
    Mechaton! :D
    Munchkin! :)

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Frowbakk wrote: »
    What army do you play?

Add me to the list for 40K tournament interest, preferably on Saturday.

I'll play fantasy if you can tolerate a total noob

hamburger helper on
    statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
  • maxkool007maxkool007 Registered User new member
    edited July 2009
    Ill be bringin my 2500-3000 points of Black Templars down with me, and my buddy who is comming with me will be bringing his 3000+ points of Orky Goodness...

Both of us are interested in any 40K gaming/tourniments going on... hell its the main reason I wanna come this year after unmothballing my crusade....

maxkool007 on
  • darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Illuminati Deluxe Edition

I may run an un-official tourney otherwise.

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    PucSpifo wrote: »

3 days of Settlers of Catan? More variety, please.

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • PucSpifoPucSpifo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    darren66 wrote: »
    PucSpifo wrote: »

3 days of Settlers of Catan? More variety, please.

Settlers is very popular, and I have been asked pretty much every year to run more tourneys. We are also working on adding a 40K tourney right now, but my staff is stretched pretty thin, so I don't know if I'll be able to run more events than this. If there were some sort of group consensus on another tourney, I'd be happy to try it out, but we are rapidly running out of time to make things happen.

I'm also going with what I know has been popular in the past years and avoiding the longer more complex or newer games, as those have often been very poorly attended and received. Last year we ran 13 events, and of those 13, 5 were pretty low turnout and popularity (Battlestar Galactica, StarCraft, Anima, Mutant Chronicles Minis, and UFS), Zombies!!!, Citadels and Carcassonne were moderately popular, and if the demand arises, I will try to run one or two of them as well.

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well obviously those fantasy flight games take forever to play, but thee are a lot of other board games that would work well for tourneys. I personally think settlers is way too well known and also a little too random for my liking for a tournament.

ThePimpImp on
  • treyh37treyh37 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    any chance of a pokemon tcg tournament? I can help setup and judge if need be

treyh37 on
    later
    trey
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    sorry if this has been asked before but I haven't been on the forums for a while and I'm too lazy to search the thread...
    Is there gonna be any magic the gathering going on?
    Even just some fun play?

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • treyh37treyh37 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    yes serenity there is magic, but its being run by WotC and not the enforcers/pax staff which is what this thread is mostly about

treyh37 on
    later
    trey
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    We Didn't Playtest This At All tournament. Best 5 out of 9 games. :-P

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • mrcalcmanmrcalcman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I would love to sign up for any Carcassone, original Cattan and Illuminati. I have a wife coming with me and team events might be good also. Can't waitto be there!

mrcalcman on
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Serenity wrote: »
    sorry if this has been asked before but I haven't been on the forums for a while and I'm too lazy to search the thread...
    Even just some fun play?

I'm bringing enough rav block packs for an 8 man draft. Strictly casual.

Drakmathus on
    edited August 2009
    treyh37 wrote: »

At this time, no, there isn't going to be an official Pokemon tournament, but you are more than welcome to try and get one together.

As for Magic, WotC will be running games and tournaments all weekend, but I do not have the details of their events yet.

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • XophXoph Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    Anyone know which Traditional RPGs are running at PAX this year? Is there a sign up page somewhere? I guess that WotC will run 4e. Is anyone else?

Xoph on
    edited August 2009
    Drakmathus wrote: »
    Even just some fun play?

I'm bringing enough rav block packs for an 8 man draft. Strictly casual.

Sweet!!! Count me in!
    Just started playing so I'll be a little slow, but I think I'm already addicted.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited August 2009
    Sweet!!! Count me in!
    Just started playing so I'll be a little slow, but I think I'm already addicted.

Same here! I just got my intro deck, and I've been buying packs like there was no tomorrow.

I challenge you to a duel... or whatever the battle is called.

Brex123 on
    edited August 2009
    To everyone - We would highly like to encourage everyone to run their own tournaments. If you can get together enough people to play a couple of rounds of a game, we'll do some sort of prizes for the win players in these impromptu tournaments. It may be a couple of prize points for the top players, or perhaps a random drawing from all the top players for a larger prize. We haven't decided exactly how we will award folks, but suffice to say the more you play and the better you do, the better your odds are of being rewarded for it.

PAX is a community run event, so all of you make PAX possible, and it is only fair to reward you is some small way for being a part of the community.

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
    edited August 2009
    Sweet!!! Count me in!

Same here! I just got my intro deck, and I've been buying packs like there was no tomorrow.

I accept! *slaps glove back at you*
    Yeah not sure what it's called, but know what you mean.
    I've been trying to avoid blowing all my money on cards before PAX but I should sooo totally make a special deck for PAX...

Hmm as for running our own events, are we able to run just a fun, no competetive magic draft?
    Would it interfere with the pro's events?

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited August 2009
    I've been trying to avoid blowing all my money on cards before PAX but I should sooo totally make a special deck for PAX...

I don't want to advocate towards making yourself poor, but I have a mythic rare cardsthat, the second it hits the table, I pretty much win. Hopefully you have something similar to that so it can be a fair fight. I also have a ton of extras, so before the battle I can let you borrow a few or trade.
    As for my ultimate card, it is the Darksteel Colossus, with a cost of 11 of any kind of mama. It has a power of 11 and a toughness of 11, along with trample. It also has indestructible. Good luck Serenity.
    darksteel_colossus.jpg

Brex123 on
    edited August 2009
    Sweet!!! Count me in!

Hmm as for running our own events, are we able to run just a fun, no competetive magic draft?
    Would it interfere with the pro's events?

Again, PAX is a community event and running your own games is totally ok. WotC will be doing lots of events and Magic tourneys of various sorts, so you may want to check that out, but holding your own event is fine.

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I don't want to advocate towards making yourself poor, but I have a mythic rare cardsthat, the second it hits the table, I pretty much win. Hopefully you have something similar to that so it can be a fair fight. I also have a ton of extras, so before the battle I can let you borrow a few or trade.
    As for my ultimate card, it is the Darksteel Colossus, with a cost of 11 of any kind of mama. It has a power of 11 and a toughness of 11, along with trample. It also has indestructible. Good luck Serenity.
    darksteel_colossus.jpg

pacifism.

edit: what you want to do is tooth & nail into a pair of composite golems to activate a door to nothingness.

Drakmathus on
  • S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    darksteel_colossus.jpg
    *Uses O-Ring on it* :P

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • BozkoBozko Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    treyh37 wrote: »

Hey id love to play in a Pokemon TCG tourney at PAX. i just got done with the Pre Release here in seattle.
    Id pitch in for a Draft even!!!!

Bozko on
    R.O.A.C.H. 's Aluminum Chef~
    SUPER VILLAINS UNITE!
    JOIN R.O.A.C.H. Today!
    The Destructive Kitchen
    R.O.A.C.H. Home Page
    edited August 2009
    S2000Gan wrote: »
    darksteel_colossus.jpg

Exactly my thoughts...
    Although still a sexy card...

So we can run our own community run draft if we want? Will you guys provide space for us?

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • BozkoBozko Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    S2000Gan wrote: »
    darksteel_colossus.jpg

Exactly my thoughts...
    Although still a sexy card...

So we can run our own community run draft if we want? Will you guys provide space for us?

hell ill join this tourney too. what series have been rotated out... i think the last set i played with was Shards of alaara or whatever

Bozko on
    R.O.A.C.H. 's Aluminum Chef~
    SUPER VILLAINS UNITE!
    JOIN R.O.A.C.H. Today!
    The Destructive Kitchen
    R.O.A.C.H. Home Page
This discussion has been closed.