As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battle Fleet Gothic: Or How I Learned to Stop Hating and Love the Space Squig!

18910111214»

• Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I will play [terribly] in the tournement.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    We've got three people on board for the tournament so far. The best way to learn a game is by playing, and for those who haven't used Vassal before, it's pretty much drag and drop, point and click, with an integrated dice roller.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Ok so why don't salvation and thebog contact me on msn? I'm willing to play, not like I have much else going on.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Why don't Salvation and Bog get in on the tourney game? We barely have enough to make a good storyline for why so many fleets are converging on one spot to BtS out of each other.

Anyways, twelve hours from this post is the deadline for getting your fleets in, so let's have some more captains log in.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    But I'm so confuuusseeed! Not only have I never tried Vassal, I've never played BFG. I'll have to message leaf to learn the basics of both.

TheBog on
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hmmm. I've got a horrible track record for participating in online shit (I'm forgetful. :() and I haven't downloaded Vassal yet, but if you need the players I could give it a go.

Can I still get Vassal and the appropriate mods, or is it too late?

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm sure they're still floating around the internet in myriad locations. I think the author might've even mentioned a couple before the page went down. Weren't they hosted on one of those file-hosting sites? Is it possible to search and find a file that's not directly linked?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Alrighty, I've got a little Vassal action going on. I'll get a 750 point list going shortly.

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    All right, here we go.
    If you need Vassal itself, get it here. If you don't have them, the BFG mods can be downloaded from here. You need the Armada 110, BFG 113, and Terrain files.

For the step by step fool proof guide to play, start up Vassal, click 'Open Module' and then select the BFG113 file. Then right click on that, click 'add extensions' and select the armada and terrain files. Finally, click on V Battlefleet Gothic and choose 'open module.' Choose 'load save game' and select the BFG map I've made for this.

Mission type will be determined by rolling 1d6 on the 'Raids' table.

Board Terrain will be determined by the mission rules, and 'Setting Up Celestial Phenomena: Method 2.

Any rule disputes that cannot be resolved during the course of the game will be resolved via rolling a d6. Afterwards, post the dispute here, where the resolution that will be used for the rest of the tournament will be decided on by a majority vote.

Participants are:
    Ein - Orks
    Count of Midget Fisto - IN
    leaf - Eldar
    Gabriel Pitt - Tyranids

Valenhaath, a glittering jewel in the night, one of the eldar maiden worlds. When an Iyaden battle group discovered it lay in the path of a tyranid splinter fleet, they made haste to warn and aid their cousins against the ravening menance. To their horror, they discovered that in the centuries since they had passed that way last, humans had discovered the planet, and wiped the exodites out so that they could exploit the maiden world's resources for themselves. Meanwhile, trailing in the splinter fleet's wake were a small group of ork vessels, watching and waiting for the right time in the coming chaos to swoop in to loot and plunder.

1st round:
    IN vs Tyranids - as the hive fleet enters the Machurian (nee Valenhaath) system, the Imperial Navy picket moves to intercept.

Eldar vs Orks - Wot's dat? Some pointy-eared light riders is trying to make a move on our gubbinez! Let's krump 'em good!

Doom is coming.
    bfg041.jpg

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You guys should post in here when you play games so people can watch. I've never played BFG, but I'd love to watch a few games.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You know, I'd love for nothing more than to upload a big rar of all the BFG stuff, if only I knew where to host such a file . . . HINT HINT.

(Woo! First post from my new laptop)

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2009
    Asher wrote: »
    I saved a lot of the old BFG stuff. Any articles in particular people are looking for? If yes, where should I upload things?

The fleet I'm looking for was called Spewtari.

Googling for it leads to... my posts earlier in this thread where I complain about that article being gone. :x

Echo on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You know, I'd love for nothing more than to upload a big rar of all the BFG stuff, if only I knew where to host such a file . . . HINT HINT.

Send me an email and I'll host it.

I have directory listing turned on, so we can put them up as separate rars/zips/pdfs and we can view them like this: http://shiftedmatrix.com/downloads/

Maybe even link to them all in a post.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fuck, I haven't played BFG in a longggg time - but I could definitely be into this. If I can get a fleet put together in a reasonable amount of time I'd like to play. I've always played the Imperium (sometimes Space Marines, but I think 750pts is too low for them) or Chaos.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Blargh. Sorry I couldn't make it in on time. Sucks being busy on mondays/sundays. :P I'm still up for casual games to learn the damn program if anyone cares.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If there's one thing Vassal is good for, it's laying a basis for a battle report. I'll write the one for my first fight, although all that needs to be reported is who one (and probably by how much is good too).

Count, I'm in San Diego right now on a business trip, and it turns out I don't have wireless access in my hotel room, and my wired adapter has chosen this time to go belly up. Is Wednesday night going to work for you for our fight? Around 7 pm e.s.t ?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    are the 750pt fleet lists posted up anywhere yet?

krylon666 on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »

Send me an email and I'll host it.

I have directory listing turned on, so we can put them up as separate rars/zips/pdfs and we can view them like this: http://shiftedmatrix.com/downloads/

Maybe even link to them all in a post.

Thanks a lot Sharpe. I'll get back to you after I finish Uni today.
    I will say it is rather incomplete, but there's still a lot of useful stuff there, like my personal favourite, the expanded appeals table.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Krump is possibly the best verb ever.

Verr on
  • Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If there's one thing Vassal is good for, it's laying a basis for a battle report. I'll write the one for my first fight, although all that needs to be reported is who one (and probably by how much is good too).

Count, I'm in San Diego right now on a business trip, and it turns out I don't have wireless access in my hotel room, and my wired adapter has chosen this time to go belly up. Is Wednesday night going to work for you for our fight? Around 7 pm e.s.t ?

yeah that sounds good.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Wouldn't the spit on that hiveship be going every which way because there's no real gravity to pull it down?

I'm trying to figure out vassal, I got a bit done but I'm kinda wasted and I'll check the rest in the morning

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Obviously that's not spit, but extruded bio-acid storage sacs.
    krylon666 wrote: »
    are the 750pt fleet lists posted up anywhere yet?
    I haven't put the lists themselves up - the actual fleet composition the players will be placing will be unknown until the first battle starts.

Gabriel_Pitt on