As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Glasses/clothes/shoes thread

• Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    wham, right in the T-Cells

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't think I've said that I love your avatar and sig Zero, but I do.

Hugs for Eric Carle.

Peen on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    All shall love the Very Hungry Caterpillar and despair

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is Shank still being a self-proclaimed fashion guru ITT?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So guys, I am redoing my wardrobe and cleaning out the various odds and ends. I am streamlining my stuff to A: Fewer/better brands, B: Less items which means doing less laundry but more often, and C: Keeping it all cost effective. No more expensive shit.

I've recently redone my jeans. I've gone from like 8 random pairs of jeans, to 3 pairs of Levis 514s in various washes from deep dark blue (which can actually work well in a casual/dressy ensemble), a more casual blue and a more worn/washed out blue. I'm still trying to hunt down a pair in black but it proves actually difficult. But that's it, 4 pairs and no more.

I'm kind of leaning to do the sort of same thing with teeshirts. Only I am having trouble finding good brands. Some shirts just don't hold up and change after each wash, some cotton just plain sucks to say the least. I've found some Lucky brand teeshirts at an outlett store, and $12 for a fairly decent shirt seems about right for me. They actually hold up a bit nicer than other brands I have found. What do you guys think?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    quality over quantity sucks.

ascot on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    some of my friends buy clothes whenever and have lots of things that i can't afford and i am sad

like they'll be like, oh i walked by this store and bought a few 50 dollar shirts and i'm like gaddamn

i need moneyyyy

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Like 40% of my wardrobe has been with me since high school.

I am 27.

Before I cleaned out my closet 2 years ago, I still had stuff from middle school. Fortunately, in middle school, I liked to wear my clothes very large, so they still fit (and still would if it wasn't for the holes and general fadedness of them).

One day I'll have money, and get rid of these shirts that are like old friends, and buy fancy new shirts.
    And I'll shed a single tear as I put them in the dumpster

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    my word

you must literally have

no money

FAQ on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My rent recently got lowered by $100.

It is now slightly under half my monthly income instead of slightly over!

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    To the dudes with little money and high desire for nice clothes: If you are reasonably in-shape/a skinny SOB, (pretty form fitting stuff), then I direct you here.

http://www.hm.com/us/

There is no online shop for 'Merika, but the storefronts are distributed through these United States.

Edit: Lucky, are you looking for screen-print design t-shirts or basic colors? There's a vendor on eBay who buys American Apparel in bulk and resells it at the price of normal clothes, and I love me some AA t-shirts. PM me and I shall deliver a link upon you.

Reckless on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    H&M is cheap shit.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    H&M is cheap shit.

Are you being positive or negative here? Because where you would say "cheap shit" I would say "inexpensive excellence."

Reckless on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Negative. Their stuff is cheaply made and it looks like it. You can get better quality clothes for cheap when other stores have sales.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Negative. Their stuff is cheaply made and it looks like it. You can get better quality clothes for cheap when other stores have sales.

I have to disagree. While I would recommend taking advantage of sales elsewhere while they're going on, I really like what H&M has to offer.

Then again I am a 20-year-old college kid so I'm not exactly a fashion connoisseur, I just like what I've gotten there and usually receive complements on my purchases. But, again, college, so anything above a t-shirt and jeans makes you stand out in the positive.

Reckless on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2009
    moocow wrote: »
    Like 40% of my wardrobe has been with me since high school.

I am 27.

Before I cleaned out my closet 2 years ago, I still had stuff from middle school. Fortunately, in middle school, I liked to wear my clothes very large, so they still fit (and still would if it wasn't for the holes and general fadedness of them).

One day I'll have money, and get rid of these shirts that are like old friends, and buy fancy new shirts.
    And I'll shed a single tear as I put them in the dumpster

Yeah, I have clothes from like 6th to 8th grade that still fit or are big on me

I grew like maybe 3 inches top since then and lost weight

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Reckless wrote: »

I have to disagree. While I would recommend taking advantage of sales elsewhere while they're going on, I really like what H&M has to offer.

Then again I am a 20-year-old college kid so I'm not exactly a fashion connoisseur, I just like what I've gotten there and usually receive complements on my purchases. But, again, college, so anything above a t-shirt and jeans makes you stand out in the positive.

the only thing H&M sells other than t-shirts and jeans is ugly jackets, sweaters, and shoes in funny colors. They make you look less classy than just jeans & a t-shirt

they are, as we speak, focusing their "Style Guide" for men on how to look more like Kurt fucking Cobain

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    how to look more like Kurt fucking Cobain

Step 1: Don't wash your hair
    Step 2: Wear old, ripped jeans
    Step 3: Apply shotgun to face

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »

the only thing H&M sells other than t-shirts and jeans is ugly jackets, sweaters, and shoes in funny colors. They make you look less classy than just jeans & a t-shirt

they are, as we speak, focusing their "Style Guide" for men on how to look more like Kurt fucking Cobain
    ooh, they sell guns now?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    He's not joking though. That "style guide" is nothing but a blueprint for how to look like a complete shitheel.

Butters on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    H&M sells nice, inexpensive button-ups. And some decent dress pants. But if you follow their style-guide you will look hipster as fuuuuck.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    H&M sells nice, inexpensive button-ups. And some decent dress pants. But if you follow their style-guide you will look hipster as fuuuuck.

This. I agree that their style guide is absolutely ridiculous. However, I'm pretty confident in my ability to dress myself in ways other than in the exact wardrobe a shop's magazine suggests I should.

Most store style guides reduce their models to stereotypes and caricatures anyway. They're good for ideas, but mimicking them absolutely is an express train to the loss of your originality and character.

Reckless on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Most store style guides reduce their models to stereotypes and caricatures anyway. They're good for ideas, but mimicking them absolutely is an express train to the loss of your originality and character.

H&M have nice clothes, just a long as you don't put them together like they do on the mannequins then you'll look fine. They seem to think that everyone works in fashion and that its okay to wear bright and patterned shirts/tops to work, but for a lot the dress code is just plain black :(

The only trouble I have with H&M is that I can't buy their jeans/trousers as they're too tall for me.

Liiya on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you want to look like your clothes came from Wal-Mart ten years ago, H&M is great.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    got a lot of fuckin' snobs around here

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If you want to look like your clothes came from Wal-Mart ten years ago, H&M is great.

Ha ha ha ha ha! Exactly.

Butters on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is this like H&M in America or are you also talking about Europe?

Because, man, I buy a lot of expensive clothes online and so on but I also own a ton of H&M stuff because I can buy like, 5 shirts for 100€, that are well made, look great and no one can ever tell that they are from H&M.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    Is this like H&M in America or are you also talking about Europe?

Because, man, I buy a lot of expensive clothes online and so on but I also own a ton of H&M stuff because I can buy like, 5 shirts for 100€, that are well made, look great and no one can ever tell that they are from H&M.

This is what I was thinking, the stuff I buy doesn't look cheap from H&M. Maybe the stores differ, I don't know.

Liiya on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited August 2009
    I think maybe H&M in the US is terrible

Because H&M in Europe has had lines by Karl Lagerfeld

And you can't exactly say that looks like crap

bongi on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    i bought these and like them

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited August 2009
    Plus I mean you shouldn't really ever take Butters' word on fashion seriously I'm pretty sure he is the kind of guy who wears a button up short sleeve shirt and khaki shorts and thinks it looks great

bongi on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    got a lot of fuckin' snobs around here

For real. I'm wearing a $15 polo shirt and $16 Dockers khakis (clearance rack woo!) I got at Kohl's. Then again, I'm already married and work at an engineering firm, so no one cares what I wear anyway :P

a5ehren on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    bongi wrote: »
    Plus I mean you shouldn't really ever take Butters' word on fashion seriously I'm pretty sure he is the kind of guy who wears a button up short sleeve shirt and khaki shorts and thinks it looks great

I own no button-ups with short sleeves or khaki anything. I have not worn khakis since junior fucking prom.

Butters on
  • Options
    Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Plus you have a number name. 8-)

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited August 2009
    bongi wrote: »

I own no button-ups with short sleeves or khaki anything. I have not worn khakis since junior fucking prom.
    I can see straight through your lies

bongi on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I am very fortunate to work for a company that has no dress code. I wear jeans every day.

Butters on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    but very high quality jeans specifically tailored for your bony whitebread ass

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I wish I could jazz up my work clothes a bit, black top, black jumper, black trousers, black apron, black shoes. Its a bit depressing.

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ok i guess i'll lock dis thread

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    feel free to move clothing discussion to the shopping thread

Orikaeshigitae on
This discussion has been closed.