As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bad Haircut

HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've been going to the same person to get my hair cut for about a 2 years, it isn't frequent (maybe once every 3-4 months) but it's still the same person. She's generally done a pretty good job and I've left happy every time until yesterday when for some reason she cut the front part of my hair to about 1/3 of the length of all the rest of it so that it looks like I'm trying to grow out bangs and comes down to the bottom of my nose.

It looks absolutely terrible and it's really really annoying because it keeps falling into my face and the only way to keep it back is to use pins, which makes me look like Bunsen Honeydew.

I guess maybe I shouldn't have tipped her the same amount I normally did, and maybe I should have said something, but I was feeling pretty angry and unhappy when I got my glasses back on and could see it, and I didn't want to be rude.

I don't know the etiquette for this, or if there's some kind of rationale for her doing it or what the normal thing to do at this point is. My bf suggested going to another hair cutting place and asking them to try to fix it, but I don't know if having them cut more of my hair off is really going to help.

The questions now are:

1) Should I have said something to this hairstylist?
2) Should I be going back to her? What she did until yesterday was fine, was that a fluke? I'm definitely mistrustful now but I liked what she was doing before, I just don't know.
3) If I go back, should I tell her that I really hated what she did last time and thought it was ass ugly? What's the proper way to do that? Is there one? Yesterday I had even told her that I really liked what she did last time and told her I wanted to repeat it, but then I ended up with retardo-cut, should I draw it for her next time or something?
4) What do I do in the meantime? Should I go to some other place and have them try to lessen the..."this hair is 1/3 the length of the other hair and looks a 3 year old just took scissors to the front, especially since it keeps falling in your face"-ishness? I wore a hat in to work this morning but I can't keep it on all the time. Do I just suck it up that for the next 2 months it's going to look stupid until it grows out? Should I go back to the same hairstylist and say, "This looks awful and is really annoying, can't you uh... fix it since it was your screw up?" This seems like a bad idea.

So yeah, I don't know what to do about this. Help?

Hypatia on

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Go back to your stylist and tell her she needs to fix those things. She should fix them free of charge because she messed up, and don't be shy about telling her that. Don't tip her for the fixes.

And just for the future, telling her "I liked what you did last time" wasn't the best idea. If she sees a lot of clients it would be very hard for her to remember exactly what she did to your hair even a few weeks ago. Always safer to take a picture with you, or be very specific about what sort of style you want.

Usagi on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The only way to 'fix' it would be to cut it even shorter, which would leave you in the same boat in another 2-3 months. "Same as last time" works fine if you see the person once or twice a month, but 4 months? Figuring she sees 8-10 people a day, that's a lot of people between now and 'last time' for her to remember what she did to your hair. I think you need to chalk it up to it not being explained well enough what you wanted. Go back to her, tell her you don't like it, ask if she has any ideas how to fix it. Tell her what you don't like about it, too. I doubt it's the first time someone didn't like their haircut. Maybe it's time for a style change too? Find a couple of pictures of hairstyles you like and bring them in, see if she has suggestions?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    In my experience (mostly Australian and Japanese places), most hairdressers offer a limited time frame in which you can come back and get your hair "fixed", if it turns out to not be what you wanted, or it settled very differently from how the hairdresser set it up in the actual location. Your situation is about the same, really! Call them up and say that you aren't satisfied with how your haircut turned out, and ask for a time to come in and get it fixed up. They should probably offer such a thing for free from the first part of that, though; hairdressers want repeat customers, they generally don't do anything to severely piss them off.

So, to answer your questions in order:

1) Yes, you should have said something at the time, if you really weren't satisfied at the end of the cut. But, that's the past and you can't change it; your best option is to go and ask them for a re-do.

2) If what she did this time was the first time she's done a bad cut for you, then you should mention it to her if and when she fixes your hair up. It's natural to feel mistrustful of her, but there might be mitigating circumstances that caused this one, fluke bad haircut.

3) Definitely explain what was wrong with the last thing she did. Just be polite, say that you didn't like how it settled down once you got home, etc. Don't draw it out, that'll make her feel retarded and probably pissy at you. Remember the old advice, "Never make someone who is holding sharp scissors near your unprotected neck angry." But yeah, explain your feelings about it changed, and what specifically you'd like fixed up.

4) Like I said before, call the same hairdresser and explain the situation. They should be happy to let you come in and have the cut fixed up, because you're being polite about the situation. I don't mean to be rude, but you seem to approaching this from two attitudes, where your only self-presented options are being a douchebag or sulking about it. They want your business, and if you're polite and explain what the problem is, they're going to do everything to try and fix up the situation for you.

Hope that helps!

simonwolf on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You're absolutely entitled to a touch up (may be the phrase you should use), but you may have to loose a lot more hair to get it to look right.
    Is it worth it?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you order dinner at a restaurant, and the waiter does not bring you the meal that you ordered, do you tell him that? Or do you meekly accept food that you don't actually want, eat it, and then reward his mistake with your hard earned money because you're worried about hurting his feelings?

Gotta bring that stuff up at the time. Any hairdresser interested in keeping your business will fall all over themselves either fixing it if possible or coming up with something new that will at least look good on you while covering their mistake.

I used to not say anything about how my hair was cut except for "oh.. yeah, that looks fine.." until I realized I was paying money to look like a twat. Now I get exactly what I want. Unfortunately I realized that it doesn't make a difference because I am, in fact, fuck-ugly, but at least I get what I want before I pay for it.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Erandus wrote: »
    If you order dinner at a restaurant, and the waiter does not bring you the meal that you ordered, do you tell him that? Or do you meekly accept food that you don't actually want, eat it, and then reward his mistake with your hard earned money because you're worried about hurting his feelings?

This. Thousand million times.

This goes for any situation where you are paying for a service and possibly tipping.

Do not be one of those pushovers who keep their mouths shut when something isn't right, only because they're afraid to speak up. The hair dresser/server/delivery guy/etc. want to know how they can fix it so that you don't leave unhappy. In this case, you even tipped your usual amount so the hair dresser had no idea you didn't like the cut.

Nothing pisses me off more than serving a table for an hour and a half and finding out when they pay the bill that they were unhappy. Guess what? You have many opportunities to express your dissatisfaction, and no one can do a damn thing about it until you do. No one can read your mind, so speak up!

Go back to the place and explain that you didn't notice the problem until you got home. They will fix it free of charge, and it's up to you whether or not you want to return there in the future.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I would just find another hairdresser to be honest. It's good to mix it up sometimes anyway never mind that she tried to make you look like Snape.

Casual on