As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Board Games at PAX?

• apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    Moriveth wrote:
    Highfire wrote:
    Moriveth wrote:
    Zombies!!!, anyone?

I'd love to play that. Do you have it? Or dose some have a copy they can bring?

I have it and all the expansions up to Zombies!!! 4.

I'm thinking of bringing Frag, too.

And Chez Geek is a freaking must.

I'd encourage you to take notice that Steve Jackson Games makes lousy board games, and then charges entirely too much for them. How could you not notice the utterly attrocious component quality of frag?!

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited July 2005
    I should bring a crate of Cheapass Games.

Oh man, they are good.

Knob on
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Kill Dr. Lucky pwns. Same with Twilight Imperium, although that game is freaking long. It took us 4 hours to get through 1 turn of 6 player TI (mind you, we were still learning how to play it)

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Lazarus PlusLazarus Plus Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I'd encourage you to take notice that Steve Jackson Games makes lousy board games, and then charges entirely too much for them. How could you not notice the utterly attrocious component quality of frag?!

They make fantastic card games, though. But I do agree that they are overpriced.

Lazarus Plus on
  • BongoBongo Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Theres a thread about it over in G&T, how about Pirates of the Spanish Main?

Bongo on
    edited July 2005

They make fantastic card games, though. But I do agree that they are overpriced.

Name one.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Hey, I just found out that Robo Rally is being re-released July 15th.

Sounds like the perfect game for PAX, so I'm picking up a copy. Anyone else wanna play? I've got dibs on Hammerbot.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I'm bringing Guillotine.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
    edited July 2005
    apotheos wrote:

Name one.

Munchkin, for example. Or Illuminati, or Ninja Burger.

Lazarus Plus on
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Highfire wrote:
    Moriveth wrote:
    Zombies!!!, anyone?

I'd love to play that. Do you have it? Or dose some have a copy they can bring?

I have it and all the expansions up to Zombies!!! 4.

I'm thinking of bringing Frag, too.

And Chez Geek is a freaking must.

You're bringing Frag... You are a God! *bows down to your greatness*

Highfire on
    edited July 2005
    Well, I guess I understand now how Steve Jackson games stays afloat while churning out overpriced mediocre games.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited July 2005
    apotheos wrote:
    Well, I guess I understand now how Steve Jackson games stays afloat while churning out overpriced mediocre games.

Have you actually PLAYED these games or is this just a snap judgement off of your impressions of the games?

Lazarus Plus on
    edited July 2005
    apotheos wrote:

Have you actually PLAYED these games or is this just a snap judgement off of your impressions of the games?

I've played many, but not all, of them.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited July 2005
    apotheos wrote:
    apotheos wrote:

What's your basis for making these atrociously unbelieveable statements, my good sir?

Lazarus Plus on
    edited July 2005
    apotheos wrote:
    apotheos wrote:

What's your basis for making these atrociously unbelieveable statements, my good sir?

My opinion that they are mostly dull and uninspired, while also being violently overpriced, good sir. You'll find that the board gaming community at large doesn't hold them in much esteem, either.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • JinxJinx Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Yesterday I saw A Game of Thrones based on R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. Anyone know if it's any good?

Jinx on
    The Guitar Zeros << My friend's rad band that everyone should <3
    linkstick.gif
    edited July 2005
    Jinx FD wrote:
    Yesterday I saw A Game of Thrones based on R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. Anyone know if it's any good?

It quite good, if a little unbalanced in some cases.

You can read up on it here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/6472

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2005
    I must have that.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
    edited July 2005
    TDL wrote:
    I must have that.

This mentality made my wallet cry. Avoid it at all costs.

Instead, strongly desire this game. For if you develop a need for boardgames, forever will it dominate your destiny.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I enjoy Steve Jackson's games, whatever. I don't think they're incredibly complex or detailed, but they're entertaining enough for what they are.

Moriveth on
  • TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2005
    apotheos wrote:
    TDL wrote:
    I must have that.

This mentality made my wallet cry. Avoid it at all costs.

Instead, strongly desire this game. For if you develop a need for boardgames, forever will it dominate your destiny.

I. Must. Acquire. This. Game.

Seriously, I have nothing but disposable income after I make my car payment. I know this is a bad habit, but I love boardgames more than anything but books.

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2005
    I would love to play board games. I will play Settlers, or really any other game. Settlers is the only non-mainstream board game I have experience with besides A&A, but I would love to play Diplomacy if a game started up. I hear the rules are fairly simple

Unknown User on
  • victorixvictorix Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Hey everyone! I would to know what you people want to see for

A. Board game demos

and

B. Board game tournaments?

Post here and let me know!

--Rae

victorix on
    "It seems I came to leave..."
  • futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2005
    candyland?

futility on
  • MegapuppyMegapuppy Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I just put a bid down on ebay for this game, Cosmic Encounter

It's a really fun, really old game.

Anyone else here ever even heard of it?

Megapuppy on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2005
    I'm going to bring Apples to Apples, which is pretty danged fun.

Moriveth on
    edited July 2005
    I'm heading across the water (I live in Kitsap County, a 30 min/1 hour ferry ride from Seattle) to spend most of the day Saturday. I hadn't planned on bringing anything with me, but I can load up on some games if people are interested.

Game of Thrones w/ Clash of Kings
    Twilight Imperium
    Wallenstien
    Shadows of Camelot
    War of the Ring
    Ticket to Ride & Ticket to Ride Europe!
    Europe Engulfed (Just in case someone else has played it and wants another chance, so hard to get another person or two to actual play this one)
    Wizard Kings
    Struggle of Empires
    BANG! w/ Dodge City
    and a bunch of small games I can't remember off-hand.

Unknown User on
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited July 2005
    Megapuppy wrote:
    I just put a bid down on ebay for this game, Cosmic Encounter

It's a really fun, really old game.

Anyone else here ever even heard of it?

My old champions group from high school would play that some afternoons. Very funny game. If I recall it's unfortunate story it started off well enough, then they made some changes to it which made it suck, and after that it just disappeared into obscurity (which is easy to do since these kind of board games don't have a mainstream appeal).

I think I will drag my Civs set (with Advanced Civilization) just in case Sarah doesn't make it with hers (or if she's reading this, just to take 10 pounds off her impressive mound of out of print board games). Be fun to actually start and finish a game this year, but I am not counting on it unless we get all civ veterans who don't need the game explained to them.

Wish I knew what happened to my Titan set.

Yoshua on
    edited August 2005
    Come on guys!!! 3 pages and NO ONE MENTIONS RISK???? Sure it will be a long game, but not as long as Diplomacy. I have regular and Lord of the Rings Risk that I will be bringing. Anyone up for an all-nighter at Doubletree???

Unknown User on
    edited August 2005
    Come on guys!!! 3 pages and NO ONE MENTIONS RISK???? Sure it will be a long game, but not as long as Diplomacy. I have regular and Lord of the Rings Risk that I will be bringing. Anyone up for an all-nighter at Doubletree???

I retired from Risk. Played the best game of Risk at a con in high school, and well, I just don't see topping it.

I brought my Risk board to an RPG con on a whim. Didn't really expect to play it, but my friend thought it was a good idea. And it turns out it was. There weren't any games going on when we got there that we wanted to hop into, so we setup the Risk board and soon had a full game (to my surprise).

Game was pretty steady, players were getting knocked off now and again. There was one douche though that everyone knocked out early because he was annoying. He decided it would be cute to come back to the table and rain those little popper things on to us, a threat to call security got him to leave us alone finally.

Anyways, 8 hours into the game, it's me and the last guy. He has me down to two countries, he has the rest of the board but is spread very thin (one army in each aside two with 10). Looking grim for me, I only have 10 armies in each of my countries. He whittles down the army in one then moves on to the next. It's a 10 on 10 here. However he was getting crummmy roles, so he decides to let me go ahead and have a last turn. What he didn't know was I had a turn in for 108 armies. So after crushing his largest armies, he resigned.

But yeah, Risk isn't a bad game. But generally only something I'd bring to include non-gamer types into things, I'd personally rather play stuff that I don't get to play often or at all.

Yoshua on
  • super...super... __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2005
    Hey guys I will have a few prototype games there if any one wants to play test. Other than that I have a huge collection of board games and I’m bringing most of them so look at the list and tell me what you want to play http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewcollection.php3?username=super...&own=1&startletter=ALL
    I would love to play some cosmic but I don’t want to hazard bringing my 100$+ games

super... on
    edited August 2005
    I'll play it if you bring it. Course was thinking of doing a little more electronic gaming than I did last year (I played one game of Super Smash Bros and that was about it).

Be awesome if you brung your Cosmic Encounter set, but I can understand why you wouldn't wanna risk it. Having the same dilemna myself with my Neo Geo system. Be cool to bring it along, but it's kind of a hard item to replace if it's damaged or stolen. Plus I have no idea what the rules are regarding bringing such things, PAX officials might not actually want us bringing systems from home.

Yoshua on
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    someone bring that game of thrones game, I played it once at a lanparty and it was damn fun.

Aridhol on
  • CheesechickCheesechick Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Megapuppy wrote:
    Cosmic Encounters.

Someone please tell me I'm not insane and I'm not the only person who has heard of this game.

YES!

It's my favorite game. <3 I'll definitely be up for that.
    Ceyan wrote:
    I'm heading across the water (I live in Kitsap County, a 30 min/1 hour ferry ride from Seattle) to spend most of the day Saturday. I hadn't planned on bringing anything with me, but I can load up on some games if people are interested.

Game of Thrones w/ Clash of Kings
    Twilight Imperium
    Wallenstien
    Shadows of Camelot
    War of the Ring
    Ticket to Ride & Ticket to Ride Europe!
    Europe Engulfed (Just in case someone else has played it and wants another chance, so hard to get another person or two to actual play this one)
    Wizard Kings
    Struggle of Empires
    BANG! w/ Dodge City
    and a bunch of small games I can't remember off-hand.

I would so be down for some Twilight Imperium, Bang!, and Shadows over Camelot.

We'll probably bring a couple small things... not really sure what yet, but we can't fit much on the plane so probably just a couple little card games.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mike FehlauerMike Fehlauer Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    You guys saw the "A Cavern of PAX Delights" announcement, right?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/news.php?date=2005-08-19

24-hour gaming space available in the Bellefield ballroom, downstairs at the Doubletree, starting Thursday night (for the Supertrip guys and other early arrivals). You can game there all the time, day or night, until 5pm Sunday.

-Mike

Mike Fehlauer on
  • super...super... __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2005
    i plan on useing that room for some war of the ring some samuri swords and possibly some cosmic encounter (i own them all)

super... on
    edited August 2005
    I would be very interested in War of the Ring or Twilight Imperium, especially in the downtime between PAX sessions.

I'm picking up a copy of Chinatown Friday morning, but you'll have to wash your hands before we play it. I'll drag Taj Mahal along in tow as its getting a reprint and I don't mind if it gets fucked up.

I can't really bring larger games as my car space is limited.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
    edited August 2005
    I'll be bringing a heap of games, and I hope to find a few people to join me (probably in the Doubletree Ballroom, since that's where I'm staying). This is assuming I actually get some free time between everything else I plan on doing. Some of the games I plan on bringing:

Carcasonne
    Robo Rally (2nd edition, with all of the expansions except Grand Prix)
    Give Me the Brain
    Lunch Money (A few games of this would make my weekend)
    Fluxx
    Talisman (orignal edition, but it's a borrowed copy, and I need to check with the owner and make sure he doesn't mind me taking it)

Sweet jebus, I'm not going to get any sleep.

Unknown User on
    edited August 2005
    I'd bring Stoner Fluxx, but your government would throw me in the clink.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • NonamnonNonamnon Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Apotheos,

I know we have talked on the Geek, but if you allow me to play Chinatown this weekend, the whole trip will be worth it. I will bring my latex gloves, I swear. :)

Also,
    I have decided to bring my copy of Twilight Imperium. I am bringing one other experienced player with me, so let's see if we can't get a few more interested parties.

I think I may also bring Maharaja.

Nonamnon on
    I hate the maggots most of all...
    edited August 2005
    I've only played a few games of TI3, but would definitly be interested in more of it. I'm up to Boards n Bits's warehouse Friday AM to grab Chinatown, so the only other PAX-lite times to play would be in the wee hours over at the Doubletree. If we're going to play during PAX-heavy times we should perhaps plan it out, as I'd hate to miss some keen events as TI3 can go FOREVER.

Maharaja is definitly a great idea.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
This discussion has been closed.