As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Wizardry Renaissance: Labyrinth of Lost Souls PSN! And also the Apple store!(!?)

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Games and Technology
w.jpg

http://wizardry.acquire.co.jp/

wizardps3.jpg

The Renaissance has come in three waves so far:

On the DS.

image-thumb30.png

And the PS3!

image60.png

It's a two-pack of the PSN Wizardry titles: Dungeon of Imprisoned Souls/Town of Imprisoned Spirits.

Coming to the US sometime soon! Hopefully!

Opening With Epic BGM

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    oh man

oh man

this needs an english menu option so bad. make it so acquire. i will play the shit out of this.

Ah_Pook on
  • RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Same people that did Class of Heroes which I am currently addicted too... Mmmmmmmmm

Roxtar on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kind of the wrong market for it, I would think.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ooh, I'll import this so hard, even if it means that I have to use a translation FAQ that I print out

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

care to elaborate?

Ah_Pook on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I miss Sir-Tech. :(

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

care to elaborate?

It's not on the Wii, duh.

UnbreakableVow on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The last Wizardry released in the US was on the PS2, so this seems like natural to me.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

care to elaborate?

It's not on the Wii, duh.

Are you kidding me? The Japanese fucking LOVE Wizardry, unless he's talking about PS3 owners in America. That's a valid concern though, all the American PS3 owners want is the next Madden game and the next Killzone*

*not true

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The fact that Wizardry is so popular and influential in Japan amuses me greatly.

Its one of those rare cases where a game developed on this side of the pacific makes it big over there.

Then again, it does have fantasy spaceships, playable fairies, and samurai cat-people.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The PS2 had several Wizardry games that were released after the one we got, and none of them came over here. So yeah, translation unlikely.

Saddler on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I didn't play the one on the PS2, but my brother did and he swore by it. So if this comes around to the PS3, I might pick it up to give the series a shake.

Henroid on
  • Gar kingGar king Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    is this from the wizardry alternative series, if so I guess I'm getting a ps3

Gar king on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    zel999.png
  • MagitekMagitek Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It makes me sad we have to constantly rely on atlus to translate every good japanese game that comes out.. unfortunately there's about ten too many at the moment..

Magitek on
    edited August 2009
    I wish Sir-Tech would come back and give us a 9th Wizardry game. :(

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The last Wizardry released in the US was on the PS2, so this seems like natural to me.

The PS3 really isn't shaping up to be an RPG console, though.

jothki on
    edited August 2009
    jothki wrote: »

...So it needs all that it can get.

Though honestly, none of the consoles seem to be shaping up to be RPG consoles this gen. Quite sad, really.

360 has a few, but aside from Mass Effect they're all shit. The few that are on PS3 are shit as well, Folklore is decent but that's it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Though honestly, none of the consoles seem to be shaping up to be RPG consoles this gen. Quite sad, really.

360 has a few, but aside from Mass Effect they're all shit. The few that are on PS3 are shit as well, Folklore is decent but that's it.

Hey. Hey. Valkyria Chronicles is some kind of RPG, Mister, and it's still wonderful. (I know, I know, you keep forgetting about it. :P)

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    edited August 2009
    I count it as strat-RPG.

But seriously, for JRPGs, this generation has been fucking abysmal.

For Western RPGs, it's a different story though. 360 has Mass Effect and is about to get Mass Effect 2 soon, but luckily both systems are getting Dragon Age and Alpha Protocol in October, so that's very nice indeed.

UnbreakableVow on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Lost Odyssey was awesome you heathen.

Zerokku on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »

Awesome if you liked generic games.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »

Awesome if you liked generic games.

The Thousand Years of Dreams sequences were incredibly compelling, and far from generic.

The rest of the game... was good enough to play through, although it did drag at times. Still better than pretty much any other console JRPG this gen outside of Valkyria Chronicles. Which isn't saying much, but still.

Zerokku on
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Better late then never?

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Better late then never?

Well, the N64 has like 2 RPGs, and I remember Ogre Battle 64 better than 99% of the 10 billion RPGs on the playstation.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I remember reading about some details about this whole Wizardry Renaissance project on GAF: I believe this is a PSN title, and there's also a DS game coming, Pledge of Life, along with a PC title and a manga. 1up writeup on the Famitsu details.

I hate to push things further OT, but everyone confused about the PS3 not really being the JRPG beast that the PS2 was really needs to take a look at today's gaming landscape in Japan. Considering there's something like 13 handhelds for every one home console sold, it's really no surprise the DS and PSP are getting the lion's share of JRPGs.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This really is a full fledged revival.

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/08/04/wizardry-crawling-to-ds-too/

There's also a Wizardry headed to the DS, which I should've expected.

Wizardry: Pledge of Life, being made by Genterprise(?), and sold exclusively through Amazon JP(:( ). At least it'll be import friendly if it doesn't get released here, but I bet it will.

image-thumb30.png

The PS3 game is called 'Dungeon of Imprisoned Souls', I was way off. :P

Partially beated. I would like to know more about the PC game.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is awesome. Wizardry is awesome.

urahonky on
  • RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Dumb argument is dumb.

Roxtar on
    edited August 2009
    The PS3 has potential as an RPG console, which is good enough for me. But yeah, it's an argument that'll go nowhere. The PS2 still has enough to keep everyone tied over until next-gen gets going.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The fact that Wizardry is so popular and influential in Japan amuses me greatly.

Its one of those rare cases where a game developed on this side of the pacific makes it big over there.

Then again, it does have fantasy spaceships, playable fairies, and samurai cat-people.

The Ultima series seems like it's singlehandedly responsible for a lot of the conventions of JRPGs. I took a quick look at the wiki entry, and sure enough the games apparently hit it off well back in the day:
    Console versions of Ultima have allowed further exposure to the series, especially in Japan where the games have been bestsellers and were accompanied by several tie-in products including Ultima manga. In most cases, gameplay and graphics have been changed significantly.

# Ultima: The Savage Empire (SNES) — A graphical update using the Black Gate engine for the SNES. Japan only, cancelled in the US.
    # Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (PlayStation) — Uses 3D models rather than the 2D sprites of the original. Released only in Japan.

Man what.
    Manga

* Ultima: EXODUS No Kyoufu (The Terror of EXODUS)
    * Ultima: Quest of the Avatar
    * Ultima: Magincia no Metsubou (The Fall of Magincia)
    Other Ultima merchandise

In Japan an Ultima soundtrack CD, two kinds of wrist watches, a tape dispenser, a pencil holder, a board game, a jacket, and a beach towel were released. There was also an Ultima cartoon.

Orogogus on
    edited August 2009
    I'll take a moment to shill not just my favorite Wizardry game, but one of the best RPGs period:

762484-wizardry_large.jpg

Also made in Japan, but you can hardly tell by the art design.

wiza_16_640w.jpgwiza_15_640w.jpg
    wiza_14_640w.jpgwiza_13_640w.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'll take a moment to shill not just my favorite Wizardry game, but one of the best RPGs period:

762484-wizardry_large.jpg

Also made in Japan, but you can hardly tell by the art design.

wiza_16_640w.jpgwiza_15_640w.jpg
    wiza_14_640w.jpgwiza_13_640w.jpg

I get a Record of the Lodoss Wars/Rune Soldier Louis vibe from the elves actually. I'm pretty sure I've only seen that angle for the ears used in Japanese art.

As for the DS game, apparently it's only going to be sold on Amazon Japan. So we're talking about a rather limited release.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • smallfry14smallfry14 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is awesome news and I recently finished my Let's Play of Wizardry Tale of the Forsaken Land! I use to buy japanese versions of RPGs in the past and can't wait when this gets it's release date. Only thing I'm worried about are the new developers. I loved the Tenchu series but Aqcuire have got alot of work to do if thiey want this new game stand up against all the other RPGs in Japan.

Also I haven't been impressed with the latest RPGs out on next gen so this is a huge boost for veteran RPG fans. I hope this game appeals to new gamers not familiar with old school dungeon crawls :p

smallfry14 on
    edited August 2009
    smallfry14 wrote: »
    Also I haven't been impressed with the latest RPGs out on next gen so this is a huge boost for veteran RPG fans. I hope this game appeals to new gamers not familiar with old school dungeon crawls :p

I doubt it, try getting new gamers to play any sort of game that is retro or old-school. They'll talk for hours about how much it sucks, it's too hard, the graphics are shitty, etc.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Wizardry has a huge (HUGE) following in Japan. Unfortunately the series forked in Japan before 6, so they still use the original small group of classes and races.

Edit: I forget the details, but doesn't some Japanese company have an unlimited license to make new Wizardry games at will? Something SirTech did back in the day and is the reason the series out-lasted them?

KiTA on
    edited August 2009
    DS Screens:

001_2.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1226462_1407.html

Looks hot.

s214_WZ5R7Z999hDq8hT1l7Xej82I2w1nYUBH.jpg

I will play this to death.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    For the love of god, I hope Atlus localizes this. Wizardry is where I come from, baby.

My DS needs this.

Drake on
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DS Screens:

Wow, that looks really awesome. First time since Nanashi No Game that I've been tempted to import something.

Looks like no animation on the enemies, though. The poses on the mummy and the ghoul are too weird to move.

Saddler on
  • smallfry14smallfry14 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Getting a DS i for xmas then :p Looks great!

smallfry14 on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Drake wrote: »
    For the love of god, I hope Atlus localizes this. Wizardry is where I come from, baby.

My DS needs this.

What the hell is the status of the license in the US anyway? I know some company picked up the rights to Jagged Alliance since there's a new one being worked on, but did anyone pick up the Wizardry license? If not, that could be one less barrier to get some of the Japanese games licensed. If so, why the hell aren't they making us a new one already?

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772