As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wii Sports Resort! Out now most places

• eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    eobet wrote: »
    Ah, I get it know.

Unfortunately, that's swordplay 101. Anyone but me got over 1000 rank yet? I'd like to know if you also experienced swordless blocks and superfast double attacks from the opponents... I don't mind the fast attacks, except at that speed I find that your own transparent avatar is enough to obscure the attack direction, at least for me. The blocks without them actually blocking though, that's annoying.

Yeah, I've got up to 1100ish in swordfighting, the problem is that blocking seems very unreliable for me, and almost impenetrable for them. If they do an overhead slice, say, I need to hold my wiimote at arms length above and in front of me, simply holding it horizontally or slightly above and in front does nothing. And if they are blocking vertically, I can't break it if my attack is off by about 10 degrees either way. That's why I think I'm missing something here, the CPU blocks are so much more reliable than mine.

Right, that's what I'm talking about! Below 1000 rank, everything was fine. It was easy to see where his sword was, and it was easy to see where mine was, and they made contact the way you expected them to.

But as you say, above 1100, it seems that all he has to do is hold his sword in front of him, and no matter how you attack, he blocks it, and it is so fast that it is not clear at all that the swords made contact. And the same goes for the attacks. I swear I blocked some times, but still I get hit.

Above 1000-1100, it doesn't seem to matter if the swords connect or not anymore, or it's too fast to see what's really going on. I'm going to have to analyze replays more and see if the AI really is cheating at this level.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So ZP! reviewed Wii Sports Resort. Surprise surprise, he doesn't like it.

Being really cynical about video games was way more fun in 2008.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    This game is kicking ass, and Motion Plus is amazing, but I don't really like the Motion Plus device itself. I have it out of the sleeve, and it looks kind of tacky. I expected it to kind of fit the shape and sexiness of the Wii Remote a little better. It doesn't even have a Wii logo or anything on it. Just a blank white face. Picking nits, I guess, but still. Even the Wii Zapper shell has a nice svelte look to it.

tl;dr - The M+ aesthetics displease me.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

edited July 2009
    Question: I'm picking this up this weekend and I already have one M+ from Tiger Woods.

I'll have 2 remotes, 2 M+s, but only one nunchuck -- am I going to be missing out a lot by not picking up a second nunchuck? Money's a little tight and I wanted to get Excitebots from the Gamestop sale, but I am having people over to play Wii Sports on Saturday.

Are we going to want 2 nunchucks, or will 1 do the trick?

Hockey Johnston on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So ZP! reviewed Wii Sports Resort. Surprise surprise, he doesn't like it.

Meh, I watch him reviews because I just find them funny, I don't really take what he says to seriously since it's his job to make small issues into big issues for humor value.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Question: I'm picking this up this weekend and I already have one M+ from Tiger Woods.

I'll have 2 remotes, 2 M+s, but only one nunchuck -- am I going to be missing out a lot by not picking up a second nunchuck? Money's a little tight and I wanted to get Excitebots from the Gamestop sale, but I am having people over to play Wii Sports on Saturday.

The nunchuck is required for several sports - archery, wakeboarding (I think), biking, jet skiing, and canoeing. Archery is the only one worth playing extensively - the other are oddly controlled, or just not a lot of fun.

Also, I love flying around the island. I had no idea that would even be in the game - and it's awesome.

Graviija on
  • T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Graviija wrote: »

The nunchuck is required for several sports - archery, wakeboarding (I think), biking, jet skiing, and canoeing. Archery is the only one worth playing extensively - the other are oddly controlled, or just not a lot of fun.

Also, I love flying around the island. I had no idea that would even be in the game - and it's awesome.
    I'm pretty sure you don't need the nunchuk for wakeboarding or canoeing.

T-bolt on
  • george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That is correct, the 'chuk is only used for a few of the sports.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    T-bolt wrote: »

I'm pretty sure you don't need the nunchuk for wakeboarding or canoeing.
    Oh right.

Well, wakeboarding is actually ok, but canoeing is hard fucking work, nunchuck or not.

Graviija on
    edited July 2009
    Haha really? I haven't tried yet. My arms started to get a little tired from the wakeboarding, it was awesome though

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I played this at a friend's last night. We had fun with it, but I don't think I'll pick it up (or if I do, it'll mostly be for the Motion+ that's included).

Ping pong, sword fencing, and archery are all pretty fun, but the rest of the games don't really seem that appealing. The only exception might be power cruising, only because I didn't play it but figured it'd be fun. Most other games seemed like a '1 play and yer done' kind of games.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • ArcusArcus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

The other thing about Archery is that you take turns shooting anyways, so you could do that with only 1 wiimote + 1 nunchuck. I haven't tried multiplayer biking or wakeboarding yet, so I'm not sure if those are simultaneous play or not.

Arcus on
  • seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Biking has a Vs mode, and also a tandem bike race against the CPU (which we never really got the hang of -- I somehow kept making us pop a wheelie). Archery is definitely one at a time. Apparently power cruising has a Vs mode, but we didn't try that one (the slalom mode is one at a time).

So if you've only got one Nunchuck, you only really can't do two-person biking, or power cruising Vs.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
    edited July 2009
    Played this with a buddy yesterday - had a BLAST with basketball and swordfighting.

This game is quality

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I havent picked up any game for my Wii since ToS2 came out, 9 months ago... I loved Wii Sports so that sound like an interesting game for me.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I spent about 2 hours doing the flying game trying to get those island markers. Man they hid some of those well. Sword fighting is very well done - it does look like 1:1 motion. I can see myself losing many hours to this thing.

-Loki- on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Does the connector on the Motion+ wiggle a lot for anyone else? Mine seems like it is not even connected inside and can be pushed in or moved around. Wasn't sure if that was normal, but I haven't gotten to test it yet (just bought it and my Wii is at home and not getting home until Monday night).

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think mine're pretty snug. You may want to take a look at the connection.

Edit: Sporky sounds like he knows what he's talking about. I'd listen to him.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Does the connector on the Motion+ wiggle a lot for anyone else? Mine seems like it is not even connected inside and can be pushed in or moved around. Wasn't sure if that was normal, but I haven't gotten to test it yet (just bought it and my Wii is at home and not getting home until Monday night).

It's supposed to be like that. You can read the Iwata Asks column here where they talk about how they had problems if it was too snug, so they made it "float."

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I picked this up and it's tons of fun and whatnot but I'm wondering what other games use the motion plus?

I know of a few coming out soon but are there any now or in the very near future that use it?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Picked it up! Can't play until late tomorrow night though!

Sharp10r on
    edited August 2009
    I picked this up and it's tons of fun and whatnot but I'm wondering what other games use the motion plus?

I know of a few coming out soon but are there any now or in the very near future that use it?

Available Now
    -Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10
    -Grand Slam Tennis
    -Virtua Tennis 2009
    -Wii Sports Resort

Upcoming
    -Red Steel 2
    -Gladiator A.D.
    -The Grinder

That's cutting out shovelware. There are probably more, I'm no expert. Nintendo has also said they really want to have it in the next Zelda (imagine swordfighting) but that depends on people's reception to Motion Plus.

Tiger Woods 10 is awesome and well worth it, if you want another game that takes good advantage of it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I will also back that tiger woods 10 is absolutely amazing with it. My father, an avid golfer, beat me by four strokes his first time to play. I'm talking about a man who has never played a video game in his life and swore that it was actually impossible for him to attempt to try one. I mean, I freaking had to explain loading screens and button pushing to him before we started. Now he's absolutely addicted and forces me to play with him.

To make sure his success wasn't a case of the game being super easy to play I had my mom try, who actually enjoys wii and is a wii sports regular. She couldn't find the fairway to save her life. My fathers golfing skills actually translated into the game. Absolutely stunning.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    edited August 2009
    That's incredible. I also vouch for tiger woods, the 1:1 is very, very good. I'm making similar mistakes in the game as I do on the golf course! To me that's amazing

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Samurai Warriors 3 is supposed to have WM+ support as well, but there hasn't been any info on the game for almost a year. The series could definitely use it.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Grim SqueakerGrim Squeaker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    No More Heroes 2 is also going to use Motion Plus. It isn't certain in what way yet.

Grim Squeaker on
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Available Now
    -Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10
    -Grand Slam Tennis
    -Virtua Tennis 2009
    -Wii Sports Resort

Upcoming
    -Red Steel 2
    -Gladiator A.D.
    -The Grinder

Does anyone know how the Tennis games are? I'm looking to pick one up, but I don't know which one.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    edited August 2009
    Word on the street is that if you took the feature-sets in both tennis games and put them together, you'd have something pretty cool.

But that as-is, neither are mind blowingly good like Tiger is. Maybe next year.

Hockey Johnston on
    edited August 2009
    Pretty much, neither is perfect.

Strange, I'd heard around here that more people were enjoying Virtua Tennis, but Grand Slam has much better review scores (~80 opposed to ~70).

UncleSporky on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I had way more fun with grand slam tennis than tiger woods..of course the fact that i hate golf with an all consuming passion might have something to do with thatD: but that aside I do quite like grand slam

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited August 2009
    Finally got to play this, and now I need to go out and buy another Motion+ (sword duel!). I'm debating just buying 3 and getting the purchase done with so I have them for whatever I may need them for. Is there really a point in owning 4 of them yet?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Can anyone tell me how to play with a shoe instead of a racket in table tennis?
    It says on gamefaqs that you're supposed to press 1 at the 'loading screen' - which one is that and when exactly do I need to press the button?
    The 11-points-match is easy, because you have to hold down 2 - can't miss the timeframe there...

I need mah slippers!

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh hell yes, finally got my copy in. Snuck off to play an hour of it in my office's conference room. :D Petering around in the plane is really quite relaxing.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited August 2009
    11 point table tennis?! 2 player mode too? I need to look up this super extra stuff if they don't tell you about it anywhere.

I want an unlimited time flight mode.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    11 point table tennis?! 2 player mode too? I need to look up this super extra stuff if they don't tell you about it anywhere.

I want an unlimited time flight mode.

Yeah it's 11 points in single- and multiplayer.
    I'll just quote gamefaqs here:
    11 point table tennis game Press 2 at loading screen
    Advance Frisbee Golf Hold 2 at loading screen
    Advance Golf Hold 2 at loading screen
    Advanced Archery Press 2 at loading screen
    Play basketball at night hold 2 on the loading screen
    play swordplay during the evening hold 2 on the loading screen
    Shoe/Slipper Paddle Press 1 at loading screen

I haven't tried all of these yet, but Advanced Archery removes the aiming circle.

A free flight w/o time limit as well as the possibility to walk around the island with your Mii are two features I really miss :\
    On the other hand, maybe there is another Pilotwings on the way...

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

edited August 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Oh hell yes, finally got my copy in. Snuck off to play an hour of it in my office's conference room. :D Petering around in the plane is really quite relaxing.

Isn't it?? There's so much to find, too. I love that minigame

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My friend and I made it our mission to find all of the secret targets in Archery. Several hundred points later (and that's not counting restarted attempts), I'm now the owner of the "A Secret to Everyone" stamp. Those shots are bitches to actually make!

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    george-x wrote: »
    Lunker wrote: »

Isn't it?? There's so much to find, too. I love that minigame

It's a lot more engaging than I thought it would be. When they decided to add all of those info points, along with all of the stamps for every event, it was a brilliant move—adds a lot of nice incentive to replay beyond just driving up your own ranking. It has the same function that well-designed Achievements/Trophies add.

I only had the chance to play an hour last night, so I kind of had one or two passes through almost every event. Archery and Swordplay are probably my favorites, and Basketball is so, so much more fun to play than it looked like during that crappy E3 stage demo. I unconsciously found myself hopping up on my toes to shoot, and I have no idea how someone could get all of those stamps, because it looks crazy to sink all of the balls within 20 seconds. D: And the power-cruising is cool, but I feel like the twisting to get the speed boost is going to give me RSI by the end of two rounds.

I turned the Sensor Bar assist off and I think it fixed any calibration problems I was having; with Sword Showdown and the Return part of Table Tennis, my MotionPlus kept going crazy, but turning off the assist fixed most of that right up.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My only gripe with Archery is, as far as I can tell, you don't draw it like a real bow. You just hold a button to draw it. Though it makes sense in that a. there's a short fucking cable between the nunchuck and the wiimote and b. it would be hard as fuck to get it to work properly, I still would prefer to have to draw the arrow.

-Loki- on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    you can still do the drawing motion - it makes it go faster

SaraLuna on