As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New 120 GB XBox360 model confirmed in new Game Informer?

ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
The new (April) issue of Game Informer has started showing up in Gamestop stores, and has a very interesting lead news article.

Late April

Black Xbox 360 (pictured in the issue. Looks really nice)
-120GB HD
-HDMI Port
-HDMI Cables included

$479 (approx)

no HD-DVD included like some rumors had said.

Black Controllers/Accessories will also be sold seperately (assuming this means the 120gb HD too).

Well, unless this just turns out to be a April Fools Joke (not likely... but I suppose anything is possible), we now have confirmation of the new model system and a rough release date.

edit: well just saw there was a mention of this a page deep in the rumor control thread. ah well... news like this needs its own thread anyway.

ManetherenWolf on

• Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    before it gets shouted from the rooftops in regards to being the april issue

as opposed to hiding bits of information that could very well be mistaken for real throughout the magazine, Game informer has a special section called "Game InFarcer" where they put all their april fools jokes.

doesnt change the fact this could be a joke, but its not in the section clearly marked for april fools

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Seems like a large increase in price for what you get, but I guess it's worth it to some people.

Magus` on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    Seems like a large increase in price for what you get, but I guess it's worth it to some people.

$80 extra for 6 times the HDD space and HDMI output/cables?

That's not a lot at all

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    80 bucks for HDMI and another 100gigs of storage?

not too bad if you ask me.

Edit: ME AND KEITH TAG TEAMING UP IN HUUR.

Zephos on
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    comes with the actual cable

neat rumor

Ranced on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh, I forgot that the HDD in the X360 Premium package was so meager.

I want an X360 myself, but I'm waiting for a price drop on the 399 model. This would be interesting to get, but I don't want to spend extra money for an HDMI port I can't use.

Magus` on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    I just want it to come out so the other versions drop in price so the used one drops in price so I get it for even cheaper

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yesss

I have been waiting for this.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I personally dont intend to upgrade yet, unless they do a good trade-up deal for current 360 owners (I'd upgrade no question if it was only $100 or so to swap up).

I'd love to have the HD and the black system, but unless I get an HDTV soon (which is my next purchase I plan...), It will be quite awhile before I will need the HDMI port on the system.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    Robo BeatRobo Beat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Do we have pictures yet? I'm kind of curious as to how the black console looks. Personally, I'm inclined to believe the white casing looks better, but I'll reserve final judgment for when I see some pix.

Also: HDMI FTW

Robo Beat on
    This is not the greatest sig in the world.
    This is just a tribute.
  • Options
    HedgeHodgeHedgeHodge Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'll definitely trade in my old 360 a week or so before these come out, but I won't buy one flat out new

HedgeHodge on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Does this mean the Premium 360 is the new tard pack?

FreddyD on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Does this mean the Premium 360 is the new tard pack?

Not unless they give it a nice price break.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Robo Beat wrote: »
    Do we have pictures yet? I'm kind of curious as to how the black console looks. Personally, I'm inclined to believe the white casing looks better, but I'll reserve final judgment for when I see some pix.

Also: HDMI FTW

There is a big picture of it in the issue. I dont have a scanner though, (nor did I actually bring an issue from work TO scan... Im just waiting for it to show up in the mail).

There will probably be scans online within the next day or so anyway.

Basically its all a solid mat-black. I can imagine that many faceplates would actually look pretty good on it.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm calling April Fools for now.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So wait, they're not going to put the HDMI port on all the models? Lame. We know goddamn well that that connector cannot possibly cost more than a few cents, with another thirty cents per unit for the licensing fee.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh you mean the Zephyr? That thing we all knew about for about a few months now.

JJ on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't know about the logic of launching a console like this with such a close price point to the PS3.

Then again... the $500 PS3 models aren't exactly ubiquitous.

Hopefully this means a price drop will come for the premium console sometime this year.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If it is not indeed an April liers day 'joke' then this will be what forces me to get a 360.

Of course, that'll be in about 2/3 years time when I can actually afford one.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    If it is not indeed an April liers day 'joke' then this will be what forces me to get a 360.

If it is an April Fools joke then it will go down in history as the lamest joke ever.

"Oh shit guys we totally made them think theres going to be a 120 GB Xbox 360 and there really isn't! OH SNAP WE ARE AWESOME!"

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

If it is an April Fools joke then it will go down in history as the lamest joke ever.

"Oh shit guys we totally made them think theres going to be a 120 GB Xbox 360 and there really isn't! OH SNAP WE ARE AWESOME!"

That describes most April Fools jokes.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm a bit curious at how much the 120gig HDD will cost seperately. If memory serves the 20gig costs $100, which is bullshit, so I can't imagine what something six times the size would cost.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

The lamest April fools joke ever is, and will always be, the stupid ninja thing that happened on these forums. Period.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    i dont remember that recoil, refresh me.

Zephos on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Zephos wrote: »

Not sure if it was last April Fool's, or the year before that, but basically, "ninjas" started "killing" forumers one by one.

You'd just login one day and find out that you were "killed". Once a forumer was "killed" by a "ninja", their sig would be replaced by a message saying so, and their posts would all appear as light grey text on an only slightly-darker-than-that grey background. > Essentially, impossible to read, kinda like this. <

There was no point beyond that. No punchline. Just the forums getting progressively harder and harder to read, and more and more of a pain in the ass to come to every day as more people were "killed" by "ninjas".

There was a huge uproar about it. Eventually, the only viable way to read the forums before the entire fiasco ended was to disable CSS on every page. (ie, in firefox: view > page style > no style)

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The fuck I've been here since '04 and I don't remember that shit at all.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm a bit curious at how much the 120gig HDD will cost seperately. If memory serves the 20gig costs $100, which is bullshit, so I can't imagine what something six times the size would cost.

I love my Xbox 360.

I fucking hate the proprietary hard drive. Now, if I want to enjoy a larger, beefier drive I get to shell out a Microsoft surcharge - even though I bought the premium pack to begin with? And would it be too much trouble to include HD-DVD? My 360 has a 90 degree tumor stuck to it as it stands.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    043 wrote: »
    The fuck I've been here since '04 and I don't remember that shit at all.

It was April 2004. I joined around the time that was going on.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If true, I don't think it's the best move for Microsoft. They should have the new model (if there is a new model) at $400 and move the current "premium" package down to $300.

bruin on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I knew that 20gb wasn't enough for a modern gaming system. Microsofts evil plan from the beginning. Well, at least they aren't making us pay for the upgrade via micropayments.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I knew that 20gb wasn't enough for a modern gaming system. Microsofts evil plan from the beginning. Well, at least they aren't making us pay for the upgrade via micropayments.
    As I understand it, 20GB is more than fine so long as you're okay with not keeping demos for ages on your machine and don't really have an interest in the movie/TV marketplace.

Count me as one of the people not terribly interested in this. Although this will mean a glut of "old" premium 360s on eBay!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Does HDMI even make much of a difference?

I mean, I'm one of those guys who can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080i.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

599 USA DOLLARS!

ben0207 on
  • Options
    suadeosuadeo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think it would be smart for MS to get rid of the core package, drop the price on the premium to $299 and make the 120g/HDMI one $399.

suadeo on
    Valseki.png
    My 360 is [strike]back[/strike] [strike]bricked[/strike] back! :D
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I don't think I'll bother upgrading (unless there's a decent way to transfer files 'tween hard drives) but a black controller sounds cool.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    suadeosuadeo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    I don't think I'll bother upgrading (unless there's a decent way to transfer files 'tween hard drives) but a black controller sounds cool.

I was wondering the same thing. What I would think MS should do is allow you to upload to a server and then download it onto your new 360. I think this would be the easiest way. Or, buy the new 512 meg memory card, that should hold a large chunk of your saves.

suadeo on
    Valseki.png
    My 360 is [strike]back[/strike] [strike]bricked[/strike] back! :D
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    You can read decent as "free" ;)

ben0207 on
  • Options
    AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Zephos wrote: »

Not sure if it was last April Fool's, or the year before that, but basically, "ninjas" started "killing" forumers one by one.

You'd just login one day and find out that you were "killed". Once a forumer was "killed" by a "ninja", their sig would be replaced by a message saying so, and their posts would all appear as light grey text on an only slightly-darker-than-that grey background. > Essentially, impossible to read, kinda like this. <

There was no point beyond that. No punchline. Just the forums getting progressively harder and harder to read, and more and more of a pain in the ass to come to every day as more people were "killed" by "ninjas".

There was a huge uproar about it. Eventually, the only viable way to read the forums before the entire fiasco ended was to disable CSS on every page. (ie, in firefox: view > page style > no style)

I'm pretty sure that was April '05. Anyway, you didn't have to disable CSS, I recall killing it by disabling javascript.

Andorien on