As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Witcher] [The Witcher II: Assassins of Kings trailer | 2011 release

• SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    Robman wrote: »
    If you're a really cheap bastard you can order the regular edition from NewEgg for $15 and download the extra patches/content while it ships. :P

I can't buy The Witcher at 7:30 am before hoofing it to work and come home at 5:30 and have it sitting there ready for some monster killing and wench fucking awesomeness. All patched and done.

Convenience is awesome. I mean, I'm sure you've ordered a pizza rather then getting a frozen pizza and cooking it in your oven. That's probably about a $10 difference right there.

Nope, never ordered a pizza in my life, herp derp derr.

Yes I know it's about the convenience and awesomeness of being able to go hey I want that and getting it instantly, but I was just offering an alternative for the hardcore cheap bastards out there in the crowd.

Those bastards, not supporting Steam and instead saving money in these hard times.
    It's easier to ask Steam to kindly fuck itself when you are european.

Silpheed on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    Do you have to sleep with people in this game?

Do you have to see titties?

I really don't want to do either, but I'm kind of interested in the overall game.
    You really don't have to, you can deny all sex offers. You might accidentally get yourself in a sex scene if you suck at innuendo, though.

So it's like real life, basically.

Aldo on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Some creatures like Dryads run around naked, but if you install the NA version (Steam) and DON'T install The Director's Cut (you can still install 1.5 fine) they'll be censored (with strategically placed long strands of hair).

Even then, those creatures sporting their bare bosoms in-game are rather rare (I think like, 2 or 3 in total + some sort of vampire creatures in crypts).

Alegis on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you're a really cheap bastard you can order the regular edition from NewEgg for $15 and download the extra patches/content while it ships. :P

I can't buy The Witcher at 7:30 am before hoofing it to work and come home at 5:30 and have it sitting there ready for some monster killing and wench fucking awesomeness. All patched and done.

Convenience is awesome. I mean, I'm sure you've ordered a pizza rather then getting a frozen pizza and cooking it in your oven. That's probably about a $10 difference right there.

Yes I know it's about the convenience and awesomeness of being able to go hey I want that and getting it instantly, but I was just offering an alternative for the hardcore cheap bastards out there in the crowd.

I was just pointing out that disc vs steam is about the same as frozen pizza vs papa marios

Robman on
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Alegis wrote: »

Some creatures like Dryads run around naked, but if you install the NA version (Steam) and DON'T install The Director's Cut (you can still install 1.5 fine) they'll be censored (with strategically placed long strands of hair).

Even then, those creatures sporting their bare bosoms in-game are rather rare (I think like, 2 or 3 in total + some sort of vampire creatures in crypts).

I don't really give a shit about that... I just don't really care for sex scenes in video games for the most part.

Thank you so much guys for the answers... I'll probably end up picking this up today, since I could go for a solid PC RPG to hold me over until Dragon Age: Origins comes out.

The Sneak! on
  • McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This game should have more sex scenes. It would sell faster than the latest Japanese Hentai Rape game.

McAllen on
    edited August 2009
    I don't think consensual sex in a fantasy setting would draw in the sick fuck crowd who buys those games.

Seriously people who buy those rape sims should have a serious fucking head exam

Robman on
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    McAllen wrote: »
    This game should have more sex scenes. It would sell faster than the latest Japanese Hentai Rape game.
    Man, I got laid 3 times within 3 hours of starting the game. And that was before I got to Vizima, with it's sweet, sweet hookers.

...yeah, so, uh, this game is fun.

Graviija on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Graviija wrote: »
    McAllen wrote: »
    Man, I got laid 3 times within 3 hours of starting the game. And that was before I got to Vizima, with it's sweet, sweet hookers.

...yeah, so, uh, this game is fun.

When you're this badass:

ve16vc.jpg

It's just that easy.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
    edited August 2009
    Not to mention infertile and immune to diseases.

Alegis on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Alegis wrote: »
    Not to mention infertile and immune to diseases.
    That's always a plus too.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • ArasenArasen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Directors Cut patch restores the nude sex cards, the dryad, and adds back in the blood effects that were cut from the NA release. Also think some of the execution animations were missing before the patch as well, unless they were added back in through a previous patch.

Arasen on
    [SIGPIC]steam_sig.png[/SIGPIC]
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I was just pointing out that disc vs steam is about the same as frozen pizza vs papa marios

Except the quality does not differ drastically between retail and digital. Its the exact same product, unlike a frozen pizza vs a fresh baked pizza.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited August 2009
    And the best part about the frozen pizza is that you can heat up part of it now, and if you find someone later who wants the rest, you can give it to them.

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited August 2009
    It's just a casual fucking analogy and a deep dish frozen pizza for 10 bucks beats a 20 dollar shit pizza every time

Fuck I want some three cheese and spinach president's choice deep dish pizza now, god damn my lack of a proper oven

Robman on
    edited August 2009
    Analogies involving casual fucking definitely belong in a Witcher thread, because Geralt pulls the Middle Ages bitches like whoa

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited August 2009
    Everyone wanted as much ass as possible in the middle ages. You were pretty much assured to be dead by 30 and life was horrible, might as well enjoy the good times while you're still breathing. I mean fuck, they drank beer because drinking water was too dangerous.

One thing though, pretty much nobody was clean, ever. That detail is often ignored in games and movies from the period. Maybe these guys have magic soap.

Robman on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just noticed the witcher enhanced edition directors cut is on steam for 28 dollarydoos.

is the game worth it?

is the directors cut additional shit or is it different from some other version?

Buttcleft on
    edited August 2009
    I'm buying it when I get home tonight. From what I've heard it's like Fallout meets NWN with more amusing dialogue and hotter chicks to fuck.

Robman on
    edited August 2009
    Everyone wanted as much ass as possible in the middle ages. You were pretty much assured to be dead by 30 and life was horrible, might as well enjoy the good times while you're still breathing. I mean fuck, they drank beer because drinking water was too dangerous.

One thing though, pretty much nobody was clean, ever. That detail is often ignored in games and movies from the period. Maybe these guys have magic soap.

My concern is with the ... uh ... forested areas. I mean, when did the razor start to see use below the proverbial Mason-Dixon? D:

PeregrineFalcon on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

My concern is with the ... uh ... forested areas. I mean, when did the razor start to see use below the proverbial Mason-Dixon? D:

Warning, contains NSFW language:

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am going to die.

Oh gosh.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I wonder things like that all the time. "who decided that (insert whatever here) was a good idea and tried it?"

But yours is one for all times.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • RavenpoeRavenpoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, based on this awesome thread, I decided to pick up The Witcher: Enhanced to try on my brand new upgraded gaming PC.

The good news is it looks beautiful. And so far is pretty fun to play.

The bad news is that even after registering, I can't seem to download the 1.5 patch. The official website just takes me to a blank page, and since I'm on dialup, downloading 300+ megs over fileplanet is... less than ideal.

Would someone mind pointing me to a torrent* of the 1.5 patch, since they're the easiest way for me to download large files? The boobies patch would also be appreciated.

*note: probably shouldn't have to say this, but legal torrents only. I just need the patch, no ISO's or anything crazy like that.

Ravenpoe on
  • capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ravenpoe wrote: »
    So, based on this awesome thread, I decided to pick up The Witcher: Enhanced to try on my brand new upgraded gaming PC.

The good news is it looks beautiful. And so far is pretty fun to play.

The bad news is that even after registering, I can't seem to download the 1.5 patch. The official website just takes me to a blank page, and since I'm on dialup, downloading 300+ megs over fileplanet is... less than ideal.

Would someone mind pointing me to a torrent* of the 1.5 patch, since they're the easiest way for me to download large files? The boobies patch would also be appreciated.

*note: probably shouldn't have to say this, but legal torrents only. I just need the patch, no ISO's or anything crazy like that.

If you're getting directed to the skjjkljfgdljlkj.pl site, then try browsing to the main directory of the site and from there going to their links. Alternatively, all the patches you need are available from Filefront or Fileplanet.

Dehumanized on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Should mention this is 30% off in Steam in the title.

Kelor on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Someone should mention you can get if for half the Steam Price from Newegg.

tofu on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hygiene is definitely an argument against time travel. I would only go as far back a the 1930s.

Krathoon on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    Someone should mention you can get if for half the Steam Price from Newegg.
    But that is the original version, I am not sure what the difference is, is it worth paying more for the enhanced?

Fizban140 on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The original Witcher can be fully patched to the Enhanced Director's edition free of all charge.

Dehumanized on
    edited August 2009
    I bought the Enhanced Edition new from stores so eh...whatever. I like it and feel it has been worth it. The casing is pretty damn cool and I get a nice few goodies.

mastrius on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just think of the boxed EE version of the game as the "collector's edition" that are so in vogue nowadays. Same exact game, just with some bonus goodies in the box. Except in Witcher's case, all but one of the goodies (the short story) can actually be downloaded for free.

Zxerol on
    edited August 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Just think of the boxed EE version of the game as the "collector's edition" that are so in vogue nowadays. Same exact game, just with some bonus goodies in the box. Except in Witcher's case, all but one of the goodies (the short story) can actually be downloaded for free.

Yes but I like physical goodies. I like to buy something and be like "well shit, look at that. Fucking sweet."

Its like when I buy Batman. Ill get that awesome Batarang. Would you be happy if they just sent a picture or 3D model of it instead for you to look at on the PC since you downloaded the Limited Edition online or something? Probably not. Im just a huge physical item whore and I love having the goodies on hand and able to be looked at and stuff.

Having a big ass map of the world I can hang on a wall or something in my house or pop open and look at while in-game is cool as fuck, while if you just download everything you need to pause the game and open it up and look at it then go back to the game and blah blah.

Nonetheless. This is why I dont like buying digitally. I like to see what Ive collected and feel good about it. It just makes me feel like my hard earned money is really being put to use when I can see everything I have.

But to people who dont give a shit. A lot easier to simply buy the original and download the patch. Cheaper too. But if youd like to support a great company, go for the EE.

mastrius on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh, no doubt. I like tangible shit too. I seriously considered rebuying the EE version of the game, in fact. That is the beauty of the release: hey, if you don't have the game already, buy this and get all this shit, and if you do, fuck it, here's some free shit.

Totally better than paying $150 for a version of a game that comes with night-vision goggles. Or not, I'm not sure.

Zxerol on
    edited August 2009
    Combat system in this game is weird. The tutorial is pretty bad as well, no instruction on how to parry attacks or other shit like that.

Oh well, the character models are great and the women have hilariously bouncy tits.

Robman on
    edited August 2009
    If you don't like the combat you can give this mod a shot
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/full-combat-rebalance1

Though I liked it on highest difficulty, drinking potion after potion after potion.

Alegis on
    edited August 2009
    The click-wait-click-wait-click-wait-click system feels odd. It pulls you out of the combat to focus on waiting for your cursor to light up, and distracts you from your surroundings.

Robman on
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah that's the only drawback for me. It sort of pulls you out of the game watching for your cursor to light up.
    So far I am enjoying this game immensely though.
    First village I ever visit and I get to kill all the residents? Hells yeah

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The click-wait-click-wait-click-wait-click system feels odd. It pulls you out of the combat to focus on waiting for your cursor to light up, and distracts you from your surroundings.

I'm playing on hard and the cursor doesn't light up. Really you don't need it, all you need to do is pay attention to when Geralt finishes his move, the timing's very lax (not like DMC4 or something). He'll twirl his sword around making a "swish-swish" noise, and it'll have a flame effect on it. Just click during that point to get the next part of the combo.

Once you know the pattern, doing it's easy, and you can just watch Garret kick monsters in the stomach in between flashy twirly sword moves.

subedii on