As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How do I Solaris 10? Now with more Sun micro madness.

ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the swordhttp://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
So I'm mucking about with this ultra 5 station and I can't get the dumb system to format for me. I'm starting from scratch on unix but I have a general idea of what needs to go on. So my main question is

How the hell do I get this thing to format properly for me?

And yes, I've googled it. No. It hasn't worked. Some reason the commands they list don't seem to work.

THIS!

This is awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGIwg6ye1gE&feature=related

Viscountalpha on

• MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Disclaimer: My last Solaris install was on a old sparcstation, about 10 years ago.

Need more specifics on the commands not working -

My first guess would be you are getting a command not found error, probably because whatever shell are you in does not have the path setup to include the directory where the binaries are located.

Browse around on the installation disks for binary directories ex.
    /usr/bin
    /bin
    /usr/sbin
    /usr/local/bin

See if one of those contain the binaries mentioned in whatever install guide you are reading.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • noweatnoweat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    if you're using an actual sparc machine instead of solarisos on a x86, you'll have to jump through multiple layers of the terminal. much like a cisco ios, different levels accept different commands.

its been awhile, ~3 years w/ solaris 8. but i believe if you're starting from scratch you need to run commands from a term connection(serial port) first. then the os stuff later from the normal console

noweat on
    steam_sig.png
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ya, I'm running an ultra 5 sparc station. Looks like I wasn't booting it properly. I swear this sun hardware is a completely different ball game entirely. Still fighting with / learning with this older but unique tech.

I swear this ultra 5 will NOT boot into the solaris DVD at all. It's really frustrating when I'm really trying at this.

I'm pretty much stuck trying to figure out ZFS with this ass backwards sun documentation. I know its supposed to be through and expect me to understand some basic unix commands but I don't.

Viscountalpha on
  • darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    noweat wrote: »
    if you're using an actual sparc machine instead of solarisos on a x86, you'll have to jump through multiple layers of the terminal. much like a cisco ios, different levels accept different commands.

No idea what you're talking about here. Are you talking about interacting with the OpenBoot prompt (BIOS)first, then booting into the OS?

A STOP-A to get into the OpenBoot prompt, followed by a "boot cdrom" (without the quotes) ought to boot from a disc fine. If it doesn't there's a couple of possibilities:
    • You don't have a SPARC DVD (you're trying to boot a SPARC off of a x86 disc)
    • Your Ultra 5 doesn't have a DVD drive (it's a CD-ROM), or the drive is bad
    • Someone has really mucked with the OpenBoot defaults
    noweat wrote: »
    its been awhile, ~3 years w/ solaris 8. but i believe if you're starting from scratch you need to run commands from a term connection(serial port) first. then the os stuff later from the normal console

No, you can install from scratch from either. I've done both.

I have an Ultra 2 SPARC at home running Solaris 9, it's capable of running 10, but last time I attempted to upgrade, I had to back out because I was having pretty significant problems resolving library and binary dependencies for the tools I needed to compile, and I got too frustrated. I didn't run into any significant problems booting or installing the OS though (it takes quite a long time to do the install, BTW).

Be aware that there are some obscure limitiations on partitioning and partition size that I can't recall at the moment... If you tried to install everything to one big partition, that doesn't work IIRC.

darkgrue on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    darkgrue wrote: »

A STOP-A to gett into the OpenBoot prompt, followed by a "boot cd" (without the quotes) ought to boot from a disc fine. If it doesn't there's a couple of possibilities:
    • You don't have a SPARC DVD (you're trying to boot a SPARC off of a x86 disc)
    • Your Ultra 5 doesn't have a DVD drive (it's a CD-ROM), or the drive is bad
    • Someone has really mucked with the OpenBoot defaults

I've gotten it to partially boot but it still won't let me partition it properly. Essentially I don't understand how to path out zpool or where that command is to view the IO bus to show me where to start making this partition.

That is, unless Solaris 10 is supposed to make the partition for me. That's where I'm stuck. I don't see how to pull the proper path out for the hard disk to create a partition with zpool and I don't know what I'm really doing. Sun's online documentation doesn't make sense at all to me, I'm trying. Really trying to get this.

Its possible my optical drive is bad and I may just need to get another one. I know my dvd is for the sparc solaris 10. I know part of my issue is this IDE hard drive. Its 150gb but That shouldn't really factor into this directly. The problem I'm having is just getting zfs/zpool to let me make a partition and start this whole install process.

*EDIT*

FINALLY GOT THE DUMB FUCKING U5 TO BOOT!

*edit part deux*

The apparently my hard drive isn't formatted and there was a hardware error somewhere. My friend was suggesting I use the command "boot cdrom -s" But that just keeps booting me out.

Oh and why the hell does my backspace key not work? That's such bullshit.

ok, finally got this to work- Used the 80gb hard drive instead of the non-functional seagate 8.9gb ide pos.
    I think. We will see if the SOB hardware actually boots or not.

*final edit* I don't know why this wouldn't work initally but I swear it was like pulling teeth every step of the way. From the proprietary keyboards to the not letting me run solaris 10 with 256mb of memory.

This all better be worth it.

Viscountalpha on
    edited August 2009

Be aware that there are some obscure limitiations on partitioning and partition size that I can't recall at the moment... If you tried to install everything to one big partition, that doesn't work IIRC.

The ultra 5 station I'm running has a 127 gb partition limit. I've been told its 40 bit addressable bus. I decided to get this 80gb running and set the first partition for 12 as a start and go and do the rest when the install is done.

Viscountalpha on
    edited August 2009

The ultra 5 station I'm running has a 127 gb partition limit. I've been told its 40 bit addressable bus. I decided to get this 80gb running and set the first partition for 12 as a start and go and do the rest when the install is done.

IIRC, the symptom of an oversized root partition was something like on the reboot, the system would complain of a missing kernel or something along those lines. The root partition offset limitations are based on PROM version, not system architecture. OK, found it in the FAQ:
    5.58) I installed Solaris on a big disk, but now booting fails.

Due to limitations in Openboot PROMs, you can't boot any of the 32bit SPARCs (sun4c, sun4m, sun4d) from a root partition that has parts lying beyond the 2GB mark on a SCSI disk.

On systems with really old PROMs (revision 2.5 or less) you need to make the root partition smaller than 1GB.

The Ultra PROMs are capable of this, but Solaris prior to version 2.6 also has a bug which effectively prevents Ultras from booting from large root partitions too. Patch 103640-08 or later fixes this for Solaris 2.5.1, so later 2.5.1 HW releases should be OK too.

So,

PROM versions 1.0-2.6: 1GB
    PROM versions 2.6-2.99: 2GB
    PROM versions >= 3.0: No practical limit

Might not affect you, but I've ran into it in the past.

darkgrue on
    edited August 2009
    I keep getting the "fast data access mmu miss" error. I think I have another screwed up system.

Viscountalpha on
    edited August 2009
    I keep getting the "fast data access mmu miss" error. I think I have another screwed up system.

I've never seen that error, so I can't advise, but some quick Googling suggests that this is a catch-all error when the system interacts with OpenBoot in some way.

Could be indicative of a hardware error, but you may want to just try resetting OBP (Don't type the #-comments):
    setenv auto-boot? false # so you can reset-all without booting
    reset-all
    set-defaults # will reset to factory settings
    probe-scsi-all # probe for the new disks
    setenv boot-device disk # previous set-defaults sets it to net
    setenv auto-boot? true
    boot cdrom # boot solaris cd

You might also want to check if there is a new firmware available for your model and update the OpenBoot code. Or maybe look at the "test-all" command.

Good luck!

darkgrue on
  • logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    *final edit* I don't know why this wouldn't work initally but I swear it was like pulling teeth every step of the way. From the proprietary keyboards to the not letting me run solaris 10 with 256mb of memory.

This all better be worth it.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's probably NOT worth it.

I had an Ultra10 Creator 3D machine with a 440MHz UltraSPARC IIi processor (faster than what's available for the Ultra5 IIRC). The last time I did a fresh install of Solaris 10 on it, I had 1GB of RAM in it and installed it on a 40GB hard drive.

It ran as slow as a turtle trying to shit molasses.

Nothing I did made it any faster either. Screen redraw was so pathetic with the 3D card installed, I yanked it out and let the thing run with just the on-board ATi Mach64/Rage chip... which didn't make it any better so I reinstalled the 3D card.

What got this thing moving acceptably was rolling back to Solaris 9. When I bought it, it had Solaris 8 installed and I used that for a bit and jumped right into Solaris 10 instead of stopping at 9.

Right now, if I decide to pick up another Sun box, it'll have to be a Blade 100 or better... Much better...

... I'd prefer a nice SGI O2 to be honest. I once had an Indy R5000/150 and loved it. Irix > Solaris all day.

logic7 on
  • logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BTW, check to see if your Ultra 5 uses the same RAM as an Ultra10 (I believe it does). If it does, I still have a pair of 256MB sticks left over from my old machine.

logic7 on
    edited August 2009
    logic7 wrote: »
    BTW, check to see if your Ultra 5 uses the same RAM as an Ultra10 (I believe it does). If it does, I still have a pair of 256MB sticks left over from my old machine.

I appreciate the offer. I may take you up on that since I have other sun projects that could use it. I'll make it worth it to ship it to me.

Viscountalpha on
    edited August 2009
    I bought a Sun blade 1500 (red) for solaris 10 since this ultra 5 is ridiculously slow.

RIDICULOUSLY.... SLOW. I've heard people call it slowlaris. The IDE bus does NOT help too.

Viscountalpha on