As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Unusually slow request times?

2»

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I really appreciate that you guys respond to Circus of Bug Reports and User Issues threads like this.

You two rock.

Not you tube.

Never you.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Been pretty smooth the past few minutes, but I have been having trouble the past couple of days.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2009
    Things are significantly zippier after the downtime.

Nice work.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's been pretty slow, with frequent but sort of random, timeouts. Using Firefox 3.5 current.
    (I'm sure everyone else noticed this too, and probably sent a billion PMs or whatever)

DouglasDanger on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Request times are taking forever today. For me, at least.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I keep on timing out while posting.

Brolo on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Recently I've been having an odd problem, seems to have crept up during all this weird slowness.

When I check my subscribed threads, one of the little buttons/lights that tells you if there's a new post (blue dot!) will not load. Instead it will just display the mouse-over alt text stuff instead of the image. Which makes the column extra wide, and everything looks weird. It seems to be just one of the dots, randomly...not like all the orange with blue don't load, or all the gray with blue. It will be just one random dot/pic.

Edit : Does the same with the 'skip to last post' little file/tab pic.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Recently I've been having an odd problem, seems to have crept up during all this weird slowness.

When I check my subscribed threads, one of the little buttons/lights that tells you if there's a new post (blue dot!) will not load. Instead it will just display the mouse-over alt text stuff instead of the image. Which makes the column extra wide, and everything looks weird. It seems to be just one of the dots, randomly...not like all the orange with blue don't load, or all the gray with blue. It will be just one random dot/pic.

I've been getting that too. If I mouse over it, the image will appear.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Thirded. I thought it was just me!

Brolo on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The load times have been picking up again this week. Sometimes I just plain ol' timeout. And often when making posts I'll time out but the post goes through anyway.

Henroid on
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just timed out for 5 minutes but my post went through.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's taking me at least 30-60 seconds per page, if they load at all.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    It's taking me at least 30-60 seconds per page, if they load at all.

Same for me. They've been timing out for the past 3-4 days, and it was pretty slow before that.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Getting bad for me again too. It's taking 2-3 minutes to load a thread.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rolo wrote: »

Thirded. I thought it was just me!

This happens to me, too!

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just wanted people to know that I am still working on this bug.

I put in a fix about 24 hours ago that seems to be helping.

Tech Details:
    We seem to be IO bound on our database server. I'm going to order some additional memory and move some services around to give the forums more space.

The tweaks I put in increased the maximum packet size for MySQL, increased the maximum buffer size for FreeBSD sockets, and added additional dedicated space to table indices.

Älphämönkëy on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Tech Details:
    We seem to be IO bound on our database server. I'm going to order some additional memory and move some services around to give the forums more space.

The tweaks I put in increased the maximum packet size for MySQL, increased the maximum buffer size for FreeBSD sockets, and added additional dedicated space to table indices.

I have no idea what those technical details mean, but I'm sure you'll find a way to reverse the polarity in time. Keep up the good work. :^:

PaperLuigi44 on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Tech Details:

I have no idea what those technical details mean, but I'm sure you'll find a way to reverse the polarity in time. Keep up the good work. :^:

Big memory, packets, and buffer good.

Small memory, packets, and buffer bad.

MKR on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    MKR wrote: »

Tech Details:

Big memory, packets, and buffer good.

Small memory, packets, and buffer bad.

The_More_You_Know.png

PaperLuigi44 on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I still seem to be having issues. Not getting quite so many time-outs that throw the "this page cannot be found", but still tons of slowdown

ronzo on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Had a stretch of five minutes of Database Error.

Sheep on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ronzo wrote: »
    I still seem to be having issues. Not getting quite so many time-outs that throw the "this page cannot be found", but still tons of slowdown

Yeah, I've been having significant slowdown today, on the order of some pages taking almost a minute to load, but unlike before, I haven't actually had any errors

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Having really slow request times tonight. Tried switching over to IE 8 from Firefox 3.0.13 to no avail.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    so exactly how much money would it take for you to fix these problems for good?

I think if we all band together we can keep laying down jacksons until they get fixed.....

Ludious on
    edited August 2009
    Ludious wrote: »
    so exactly how much money would it take for you to fix these problems for good?

I think if we all band together we can keep laying down jacksons until they get fixed.....

I'm assuming our benevolent benefactors provide all the needed funding.

MKR on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Slow right now - 30 seconds to post message.

(Firefox 3.5, Ubuntu 9.4)

MichaelLC on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I got the new gear in. I'll have to pull down the forums for a few hours sometime this weekend to make the jump.

Älphämönkëy on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanks alpha

urahonky on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've been getting sporadic "database error" pages, but this morning was super-bad for slowdown. I opened up three threads in different tabs, and it took at least 120 seconds to get them loaded in.

Thanks for listening to us whine, alphamonkey!

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm curious, what does IO bound mean? Is it that we have too much daily traffic for the server to keep up with so we're always hitting the maximum that it can handle?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited August 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    I'm curious, what does IO bound mean? Is it that we have too much daily traffic for the server to keep up with so we're always hitting the maximum that it can handle?

From what alpha said, I get the impression he means there's not enough memory to hold everything, so it has to swap to the hard drive a lot.

Hard drives are the Model Ts. Memory is the rocket car.

MKR on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    To extend/modify the car analogy, I'd say that, since you analogy implies different tech (modernity?) levels.
    Hard drives are the superfreighter. Huge, but take a while to load and unload, don't exactly fly.
    RAM would be Semi, or perhaps a freight train. Much less capacity, but goes a lot faster.
    Cache would be a ballistic missile. Very little space, but super fast.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    To extend/modify the car analogy, I'd say that, since you analogy implies different tech (modernity?) levels.
    Hard drives are the superfreighter. Huge, but take a while to load and unload, don't exactly fly.
    RAM would be Semi, or perhaps a freight train. Much less capacity, but goes a lot faster.
    Cache would be a ballistic missile. Very little space, but super fast.

Does that mean that CPU registers are a series of tubes?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tubes with rockets.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Roman candles?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG