As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] Canadian Supertrip 2009 : Goin' to Seattle, eh?

• Options
    k3rnelpanick3rnelpanic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for the tip AbsintheMinded. I'll have to check with my cell provider. I didn't realize that texting might cost me in the US.

k3rnelpanic on
  • Options
    RomulasRomulas Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    not Canadian, im a brit/american hybrid; but i live in bellingham, and may need a ride... anyone opposed to that idea?

Romulas on
  • Options
    ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    GREYHOUND UPDATE: One week left to get the 21-Day Advance Ticket deal.

ACC3SS on
  • Options
    elmayoelmayo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hello fellow PAX goers.

I have a mini caravan "a minivan" if you will, consisting of 2 cars containing me and some friends. We would very much like to join your epic caravan of awesomeness to PAX09! The Vancouver to Seattle Route to be specific.

Group Leader: Best people to contact would be either me or Kao Atlantis (contacts below).
    Location: My groups member are all located in and around the Surrey/Langley area of BC
    Starting Waypoint: The easiest meetup point for us would be "Chevron Station, junction of Hwy. 99 & Hwy 10" which I believe you are departing at 8:15am :D.
    Vehicle: 2 Cars, 2009 Hyundai and a 2008 Nissan Versa
    Riders: 9 Confirmed
    Unconfirmed Riders: 1 Unconfirmed
    Space Available: Unfortunately we have no extra space in our vehicles but we would very much like to make the drive with you guys.
    Elmayo(Russ)
    Email: russ.melbourne@gmail.com
    MSN: badaman45@hotmail.com
    Twitter: @russem

Kao Atlantis (Patrick)
    Email: me@pcdoyle.com
    MSN: kaoatlantis@hotmail.com
    Twitter: @pcdoyle

elmayo on
  • Options
    Kao AtlantisKao Atlantis Surrey, BCRegistered User new member
    edited August 2009
    elmayo wrote: »
    Hello fellow PAX goers.

I have a mini caravan "a minivan" if you will, consisting of 2 cars containing me and some friends. We would very much like to join your epic caravan of awesomeness to PAX09! The Vancouver to Seattle Route to be specific.

Group Leader: Best people to contact would be either me or Kao Atlantis (contacts below).
    Location: My groups member are all located in and around the Surrey/Langley area of BC
    Starting Waypoint: The easiest meetup point for us would be "Chevron Station, junction of Hwy. 99 & Hwy 10" which I believe you are departing at 8:15am :D.
    Vehicle: 2 Cars, 2009 Hyundai and a 2008 Nissan Versa
    Riders: 9 Confirmed
    Unconfirmed Riders: 1 Unconfirmed
    Space Available: Unfortunately we have no extra space in our vehicles but we would very much like to make the drive with you guys.
    Elmayo(Russ)
    Email: russ.melbourne@gmail.com
    MSN: badaman45@hotmail.com
    Twitter: @russem

Kao Atlantis (Patrick)
    Email: me@pcdoyle.com
    MSN: kaoatlantis@hotmail.com
    Twitter: @pcdoyle

I approve this message. Lol.

- Kao Atlantis

Kao Atlantis on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    In addition if you wanted to get into Seattle earlier on Thursday, you could fly into Vancouver on Wednesday morning, book a hotel room for that night, join in the Pre-PAX festivities that day, spend about $100 on drinks and Wings that night, bus out with the CST Thursday morning.... and you'd STILL be saving money. :P

You could also probably convince a nice Vancouverite to let you sleep on his floor and save the hotel cost for wednesday night

This is what I'll be doing so it'd be nice if I could find a bit of floor from one of you nice people.
    For all the CSTers a quick reminder to give a call to your cell phone provider's customer service department to let them know about your trip dates and see what they have available for roaming features.

When I originally got my phone from Telus they said they'd be able to do this. I've since then emailed them with no response. I'll probably have to go to the store. I'm not sure what gets charged though. When I was in the states last month I took a couple of few second phone calls, used the internet a little bit, and text messaged a fucktonne (and received an equal amount). My bill was only an extra $20 or so, but I'm not sure where it's coming from. If I have unlimited texting to North America does that mean I don't get charged for the texts but still for the roaming? It's all very confusing. I'm not sure if it's worth it if I'll mostly be using text messages.

Asiina on
  • Options
    AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Asiina wrote: »
    When I originally got my phone from Telus they said they'd be able to do this. I've since then emailed them with no response. I'll probably have to go to the store. I'm not sure what gets charged though. When I was in the states last month I took a couple of few second phone calls, used the internet a little bit, and text messaged a fucktonne (and received an equal amount). My bill was only an extra $20 or so, but I'm not sure where it's coming from. If I have unlimited texting to North America does that mean I don't get charged for the texts but still for the roaming? It's all very confusing. I'm not sure if it's worth it if I'll mostly be using text messages.

The roaming charges you get happen as soon as you get picked up by a US tower. The US provider charges your provider for you leeching off their network, and your provider passes the charges on to you. That being said if they offer a service that covers your texting within the US then that would mean they are paying the cost for you. All Canadian providers offer texting to the US at no extra charge. Long distance is different than roaming, so verify the wording of your plan.

The rates are based off whatever cross-border roaming agreement your provider has with the US carriers that pick up your signal. The Canadian providers all used to have different agreements, now Bell and Rogers are pretty much identical, Telus is a little different, no clue on SaskTel or NWTel. Once the new 4G Belus network is in place in Jan/Feb you'll probably see Telus' agreement move closer to Bell's so in your case remember to check again next year as it may be different than this year.

From what I understand Telus still has a cross-border texting agreement with their US cohorts, so you can get away with texting as long as your Telus plan covers it. I've heard their roaming voice and data rates may not be as good as the other providers accordingly, so call their customer support line to verify the rates. Try *611 from your cellphone for any of the Canadian carriers.

Bell and Rogers have almost identical cross-border agreements and similar pricing for roaming, they both charge 0.60 per sent text but charge the regular rate for incoming (so if you have a text package you're covered for incoming). Once again check with your provider for pricing on airtime as that can change based on your plan.

Just an extra warning for you trendy Rogers iPhone folks, or anyone using a data phone (Blackberry, iPhone, HTC, Palm, ect). You might want to turn your data functions off in the US. Any Rogers or Bell (not sure about Telus' rate) data phone gets charged a pleasant 0.03/Kb for US data roaming. That's Kb, not Mb. As we all know there's 1024 Kb in a Mb (we all know that right? I assume such things on this forum) so that's $30.72/Mb. This of course means that nifty 2.4Mb mp3 you decide to download from iTunes while in line at PAX will actually cost you about $70.00 .... plus the data charges for loading the iTunes webpage.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but when it comes to giving advice that relates to peoples money, its good to be specific.

Here's the Coles Notes version for people who don't want to read everything above this:
    Texting while in the US with a plan that incudes roaming texts = :mrgreen:
    Texting while in the US with a plan that does not incude roaming texts = o_O
    Making regular voice calls in US without a roaming package = :cry:
    Using any form of data (browser, e-mail, PINing) while in the US = :shock::!!:

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    ArcaetalArcaetal Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I wish to join this Great Canadian Convoy.
    I'll be driving down from Fort McMurray, AB. I plan on driving down to Edmonton on the 1st and staying overnight.

Group Leader: Arcaetal
    Starting Waypoint: Edmonton, AB
    Vehicle: 2007 VW GTI
    Riders: 0
    Unconfirmed Riders: 1
    Space Available: 1-2

My car is a hatchback, but is actually fairly roomy. It's built for Germans, after all.:P
    I'm saying 1-2 extra spaces because the return trip might be a bit cramped with swag. It's all up to the person's comfort level. We can make frequent leg stretch stops though.
    Also, my car runs on premium, so gas will be slightly more expensive. It'll be about $5-$10 more per fill up.

Arcaetal on
    One man's brain plus one other will produce one half as many ideas as one man would have produced alone. These two plus two more will produce half again as many ideas. These four plus four more begin to represent a creative meeting, and the ratio changes to one quarter as many ... - Anthony Chevins
    This explains the internet.
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ok sooo basically you wanna get a roaming plan before you get down there otherwise it will cost you a shit ton of money? Cuz I think I can speak for most paxers and say that texting is a big part of organizing meetups whilst at the con.

Also, I'm not sure how desperate people are for rides down there from the Vancouver/BC area but I have one spot available in my hatchback:

Group Leader: Serenity
    Starting Waypoint: Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Yaris 4-door hatchback
    Riders: 3

The one unconfirmed rider is me oddly enough... I have a motorcycle I'm thinking of riding down. The deciding factor would be if someone needs a ride down... In which case my friend would drive my car.
    Gas'll be cheap. It takes regular and it's a 4 cylinder. I'm guessing no more than $30/person including parking ($15/day)
    Getting there on the 3rd leaving mid-day on the 7th.

Also, I'll probably meet up with the abby group as they pass through Maple Ridge (assuming you guys go that way?)

Now to check out roaming plans... hurray!

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    CgkyleCgkyle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Daedaleus wrote: »
    I'll be joining the trip again this year.

Group Leader: Daedaleus, alternate contact: CgKyle
    Starting Waypoint: Merrit info booth
    Vehicle: 1995 Chevrolet Suburban LT (Black)
    Riders: Myself, CgKyle, Stv, Steph, Nathan, Kit
    Unconfirmed Riders: 0
    Space Available: 0

I just wanted to update this as I am pretty sure Daedaleus has not checked this in a while, due to working on his truck as much as possible, as of right now Nathan and Kit are not going to Pax this year. The Vehicle that we are planning on taking has its engine currently in Pieces so it does not look like it will make it.. We are currently trying to figure out what we can take Either it be my Car or someones Suv that we can borrow... Or 2 different cars. When we have that figured out either Daedaleus or I will update this agian.

Cgkyle on
  • Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I welcome our new signups!

The rosters of all groups will be updated tonight, and I'll be e-mailing everyone I've got on file so we can confirm who'll be attending. If you know any more groups who will be totally sure on coming, they can still sign up!

I hope we're all getting nicely stoked for this epic journey!

b0wser on
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Alright...so I decided I was going to buy my bus ticket today because I've been procrastinating. When I go and look at the schedules, it has bus 6501 leaving at 8 am now, not 8:30. What's up with that?

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The bus decided to change the time? I dunno...

Oh and Bowser that reminds me, could you please take me off the bus list and add me to the road trip list? I got a couple friends going and we all are bringing our comps for BYOC so we have decided to drive.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Alright...so I decided I was going to buy my bus ticket today because I've been procrastinating. When I go and look at the schedules, it has bus 6501 leaving at 8 am now, not 8:30. What's up with that?

Looks like they added a short layover in Bellingham and had to change the schedule accordingly.

It was a direct trip leaving at 8:30 when I got my tickets (just double checked them, I already picked mine up).

There's a nice little disclaimer on the tickets that departure times are subject to change, but the bus number is what signifies which one you are leaving on. So anyone with tickets already just got shifted to 8:00am now.

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Stoked is the proper word. This will be my first PAX, and I've been looking forward to it all year.

Arcaetal on
    One man's brain plus one other will produce one half as many ideas as one man would have produced alone. These two plus two more will produce half again as many ideas. These four plus four more begin to represent a creative meeting, and the ratio changes to one quarter as many ... - Anthony Chevins
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Looks like they added a short layover in Bellingham and had to change the schedule accordingly.

It was a direct trip leaving at 8:30 when I got my tickets (just double checked them, I already picked mine up).

There's a nice little disclaimer on the tickets that departure times are subject to change, but the bus number is what signifies which one you are leaving on. So anyone with tickets already just got shifted to 8:00am now.

Cars don't come with little disclaimers about departure times.

(Figured I'd throw a little counter-propaganda out there :P )

Arcaetal on
  • Options
    HammyHammy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I couldn't grab the early bus anyways, so I'm selfishly hoping this will mean there will be a few more PAXers on the next bus down :)

Hammy on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hammy wrote: »
    I couldn't grab the early bus anyways, so I'm selfishly hoping this will mean there will be a few more PAXers on the next bus down :)

There might be a couple, but I'd wager most of the bus group either (like me) have their ticket already, or (like tr0tsky) will stubbornly still buy an 8:00am ticket because they'd rather leave a half hour earlier instead of missing things going on in Seattle by arriving a few hours later.

There tends to a be few people on every bus.... especially since the forum represents only a fraction of the actual PAX attendees coming from Vancouver.

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Arcaetal wrote: »

Cars don't come with little disclaimers about departure times.

(Figured I'd throw a little counter-propaganda out there :P )

Haha, I agree, no limits with cars... you can leave whenever you feel like it.
    They're also faster than buses if you drive them right.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    or (like tr0tsky) will stubbornly still buy an 8:00am ticket because they'd rather leave a half hour earlier instead of missing things going on on the bus with 10-15 other PAXers

fixed that for ya

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    or (like tr0tsky) will stubbornly still buy an 8:00am ticket because they'd rather leave a half hour earlier instead of missing things going on on the bus with 10-15 other PAXers

fixed that for ya

Awww, I didn't know you cared about us that much. :winky:

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Serenity wrote: »
    Haha, I agree, no limits with cars... you can leave whenever you feel like it.
    They're also faster than buses if you drive them right.

No you can't... you have to leave when b0wser tells you to! :P

Also if you can't drive faster than a bus you should have your liscence revoked.

You can have your speed and illusion of control, we'll take hanging out with a dozen other geeks and holding DS tournaments on the trip down. Howz that for propagandizing? :P

Also we're more environmentaly friendly. Unlike you car people we're doing our part to make up for all the harm that the E.T. game caused to our planet.

AbsintheMinded on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Also, I'll probably meet up with the abby group as they pass through Maple Ridge (assuming you guys go that way?)

We totally don't go that way, Serenity. Abbotsford is the last stop for the Eastern Branch, crossing directly into the US right after. There's only one other group listed on the Western Branch if you wanted to meet up with them in Delta, or you could come out to Abbotsford and join us.

b0wser on
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Special note to the fellow subjects of Her Majesty The Queen who are making their way south to the land where people threw a party involving something about tea and taxes around 230 years ago, and in the process ceased to be said subjects. The Forum Badges are to be in the care of X1Zero.. It he who will be distributing them so please do seek him out during your journey.

Wishing you the best of luck!

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    X1ZeroX1Zero Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    For those wondering for contacts, I can be reached right........here. :)

Remember to review the travel list in the OP. The locals around Vancouver can get the badges from me and the rest I will distribute when we meet at the Bow Hill Rest Area.

After that, badges can be picked up at the BYOC Desk as Krop has mentioned.

My Info:

Group Leader: X1Zero
    Starting Waypoint: My group and I are making a needed stop this year, so I will meet at the Bow Hill Rest Area.
    Vehicle: 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt SS-Supercharged (Metallic Blue)
    Riders: 4
    Unconfirmed Riders: 0

X1Zero on
    - X1Zero
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I found last year that we made it through the border crossing really quickly in comparison to the large block of time I allocated for it.

Does anyone think we should reduce those crossing times? I don't know how long the Western crossing will be, but it took us all maybe half an hour to get through in Abbotsford. If anyone has ideas, please share!

b0wser on
  • Options
    elmayoelmayo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have heard that the Aldergrove border crossing can be fairly quick and easy to get across but im not overly sure.
    I dont go to the States very often. Its the crossing we took last year with no issues :D, but they've implemented all the new rules since then.

Id say its better to leave the times longer to be safe. We can always wait and hang out at the next stop longer as opposed to chance being late and having to coordinate with anyone meeting us there.

Is there any chance we can get addys for all the meeting places for GPS trip planning purposes? More for the US stops than the Canada ones. If it helps I can see what I can do for this but if you happen to know them it would definately make my job easier :D

Also, I didnt realize there was only 1 West Coast group so far. If no more join on im sure I can get my guys to make the drive and meetup at Castle Fun Park. Its a little backtracking but its only like 30min or so from where we are.

-Elmayo

elmayo on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    X1Zero wrote: »

Remember to review the travel list in the OP. The locals around Vancouver can get the badges from me and the rest I will distribute when we meet at the Bow Hill Rest Area.

Are you going to be coming to any of the pre-pre-pax events? I would like to get a stack of those cards off you for the people taking the bus (since we won't be meeting up at Bow Hill).

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    b0wser wrote: »

We totally don't go that way, Serenity. Abbotsford is the last stop for the Eastern Branch, crossing directly into the US right after. There's only one other group listed on the Western Branch if you wanted to meet up with them in Delta, or you could come out to Abbotsford and join us.

Hellz no! I'm never crossing at Sumas again!
    I got pulled over twice for no apparent reason. The wait was long and the guards are always very suspicious.

I agree with elmayo. The guard at Aldergrove hardly looked at my passport before he let us cross. Only 5 cars in front of me too. Was over the border in probably 10 minutes once reaching the line.

I would like to meet up with you guys though... get to know my canadian chum a bit...
    I guess I'll meet up with you guys at either blaine or burlington.
    So how does this work? Does everyone wait up at the waypoint until everyone arrives?

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Serenity: This is a bit of an idea rant, I apologize.

We've got a "Western Branch" for people from Greater Vancouver and whatnot, which uses Pacific Crossing @ 176th St. The "Eastern Branch" starts in Edmonton and runs down to Abbotsford to cross. Being so close to Peach Arch & Pacific Crossing, it never made sense for these two groups to go the extra distances to merge in Canada. I've tried to get the timings as close as I could to reduce the amount of waiting during merges, while still allowing people to make it before we move on. The waypoints provide the long distance drivers a place to get out and stretch, or whatever they may need. If there's nobody meeting up, the time is reduced a lot. As much as I'd love to get some sleep the night before we head down, I stay up most of the night keeping track of where the group is.

Ideally we would have had more people coming down from Vancouver, but everyone seems to have jumped in with the bus group. If we had more groups on the Western Branch, we'd all be meeting up and merging into one group at the Bow Hill Rest Area, just south of Bellingham. Since we're a caravan, the idea is that we all get in a line and drive down as one large group.

When you head south from the Aldergrove crossing, you're on Guide Meridian Rd/WA-539. The Eastern Branch takes this road to get to Bellingham, since it's straight and easy to keep the group together. The West and East groups merge just south of Bellingham at Bow Hill. The Burlington stop was from the first year of the CST, because we had people coming in from the Anacortes ferry, which is west of Burlington. We conquer the shit out of a GameStop, make their employees jealous that we're all going to PAX, and then move on for the last stretch of the trip to Seattle.

b0wser on
  • Options
    SnoowySnoowy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Still to late to join up?
    I'm pretty sure my group will be joining up in Calgary.

Group Leader: Snoowy
    Starting Waypoint: Calgary AB
    Vehicle: GMC Envoy (Dunno what colour or year. Friend's grandma's vehicle. Only big thing we could get!)
    Riders: 4

Is it bad if we don't follow the stops that are listed? We will probably follow the same route but might need to make our own stops and such along the way. But count us in to tag along!

Snoowy on
    Snoowii.png
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2009
    Not making the listed stops kind of defeats the purpose of traveling in a caravan.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    SnoowySnoowy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yes. Yes it does. I will take back what I said and instead say that we may need to make additional stops besides the ones that are listed.
    Maybe that whole last part was useless.
    Anyhoo, we'll tag along.

Snoowy on
    Snoowii.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well, I would recommend that once you cross into the USA, to follow the steps listed in the OP. It is an efficient route and you will be able to meet with us. Also, you can get your forum badge early as well.

X1Zero on
    - X1Zero
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    X1Zero wrote: »

Are you going to be coming to any of the pre-pre-pax events? I would like to get a stack of those cards off you for the people taking the bus (since we won't be meeting up at Bow Hill).

My August is mostly heavy this year, but I may be able to make it out to PoMo to Jimz. If not, I can always meet you locally and give you a handful.

X1Zero on
    - X1Zero
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    errr a handful of what? :winky:
    ok thanks for that idea rant Bowser but I don't think any of it really applies to me as I am planning on meeting up with the group at the first stop (listed on the map) after the border...

Also, if anyone still needs a ride, let me knowwww, I've got one spot. I can pick anyone up on the way down if you get yourself to any of the scheduled CST stops.

And yeah as Moe so bluntly put it not making the scheduled stops kind of defeats the purpose of making scheduled stops, haha :P

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Booked my greyhound today... Apparently I have to call back on the 27th to get a wheelchair accessible bus, but knowing them, thats not going to happen anyways.

parabola on
  • Options
    CeldaCelda Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey guys, I went to PAX last year, roomed with ACC3SS and David (forgot his username). And met a few more people: Badlcuk, Trotsky, Sumi, and some others.

This year I am going to Bumbershoot instead of PAX (I know, I know). However, I need to leave on Sunday, since I need to be back in town by Monday morning. Is anyone driving and has an empty spot in the car? Of course I would be willing to chip in for gas.

Ideally, you'd be checking out Seattle until late Sunday night (Jason Mraz goes on stage Sunday night at 9:30pm) but of course I am flexible (after all, you are doing me a favour).

I live in Vancouver, so ideally you are heading back there, but it doesn't really matter where you live as long as you are passing Vancouver and can drop me off.

Please message me if you have a spot in your car! Thanks!

Celda on
  • Options
    k3rnelpanick3rnelpanic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So where are the Manitobians? I can't believe we're group that is the farthest east that is driving.

k3rnelpanic on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So where are the Manitobians? I can't believe we're group that is the farthest east that is driving.

Well if you think about it, anything farther east from Manitoba would probably fly.
    Wouldn't be worth it to drive that far for 3 days of awsome fun...

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
This discussion has been closed.