As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TLB's Secret Community Project - Finally Revealed

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    see317 wrote: »
    Alternatively, an ambulance driver hauling a victim to the hospital for emergency treatment. Hard to ask the near-death person to just be patient for a while because a satellite is asking you to go get your ass kicked by a supervillian for a while.

This, of course, is another possible hook: a villain is villaining it up near an ambulance, everyone in it except the near-death patient gets killed/knocked out, near-death patient is selected for Sentry duty, so now he's ripping out the IV and such because he's got super-health, nega-breath, and flight-vision, or whatever.

Extra credit question: if he selects super-healing, and whatever ails him is fixed, will his body deteriorate again when he beats the villain and loses his powers?

Bonus hook: Man commits massive crimes with his terminally-ill brother nearby so that said brother is chosen for Sentry duty and can pick a healing power to fix himself.

Delduwath on
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I have been thinking about the pitch, and it seems to me that the Sentry Duty would not be goverment operated. At least not a first. If the goverment had the power to create temp superheroes, they would use it on the soldiers instead of civilians. The dangers of corruption of the system is too great. Not to say it can happen later on, but as a baseline it wouldn't work story wise.

So that leads me to think,"who would make such a system"? And the answer is obvious: we don't know yet. We know there are sattelites orbiting the earth that gives people superpowers. We think they are human made, based on the design, but any attempt to examine them closely has fail. Shuttle missions see them evade docking. While superHeroes/Villains discover that the Sentries empower someone to stop them.

So why where they set up? Simple in a superhero world people without powers fill only one niche: victims. The system is in place to even the odds between normals and powers(Metas, Posthumans, Mutants and whatever). A central theme would be to stop people being passive observers in their own world, and empower them to do something. A effect would also be to make people change in their normal life afterwards.

To go from victims to heroes to better people?

PS, what about nonpowered villains? would the system intervene to stop them? Disasters?

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    this is an awesome idea. **gets to thinking**

valiance on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    So I have been thinking about the pitch, and it seems to me that the Sentry Duty would not be goverment operated. At least not a first. If the goverment had the power to create temp superheroes, they would use it on the soldiers instead of civilians. The dangers of corruption of the system is too great. Not to say it can happen later on, but as a baseline it wouldn't work story wise.

So that leads me to think,"who would make such a system"? And the answer is obvious: we don't know yet. We know there are sattelites orbiting the earth that gives people superpowers. We think they are human made, based on the design, but any attempt to examine them closely has fail. Shuttle missions see them evade docking. While superHeroes/Villains discover that the Sentries empower someone to stop them.

So why where they set up? Simple in a superhero world people without powers fill only one niche: victims. The system is in place to even the odds between normals and powers(Metas, Posthumans, Mutants and whatever). A central theme would be to stop people being passive observers in their own world, and empower them to do something. A effect would also be to make people change in their normal life afterwards.

PS, what about nonpowered villains? would the system intervene to stop them? Disasters?

I have a pitch that addresses why the military isn't fielding armies of super soldiers. The gist of it is that they did try it before with the first version of the superhuman project, but it failed because the soldiers were uncontrollable. Drunk on their power, the soldiers eventually went off the reservation, becoming the vanguard of sorts for the explosion of super villainry that is now being dealt with by the civilian satellite project.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »

I have a pitch that addresses why the military isn't fielding armies of super soldiers. The gist of it is that they did try it before with the first version of the superhuman project, but it failed because the soldiers were uncontrollable. Drunk on their power, the soldiers eventually went off the reservation, becoming the vanguard of sorts for the explosion of super villainry that is now being dealt with by the civilian satellite project.

I have to feel that, if trained soldiers were that corruptible, the layperson wouldn't be any better.

mattharvest on
    edited August 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »

I have to feel that, if trained soldiers were that corruptible, the layperson wouldn't be any better.

True enough, hence the restriction on how long you have the power and that the power can be snatched away if you don't do your job. The soldiers who were experimented on weren't the shining examples of morality in the first place, but the experiment also gave them permanent super powers. The civvie project is almost a reaction to the military project and implements the lessons they learned.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    look if you can write a story that works with that, send me an outline

my only qualms with bringing the military in it is that this story is fantastical in nature

adding too many real world scenarios and overthinking it could take away the soul of the idea

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009
    One aspect of this idea is that it's basically a way to introduce a big group of super powered villains. I understand this is a fantastical story, but a lot of my pitches so far are springing from questions that try to make sense of the concept in a nominally realistic world. Anyway, I'll turn my paragraph into a proper outline and get it to you soon, TLB.

wwtMask on
    edited August 2009
    see this isn't a realistic world

there are regular super heroes around too so keep that in mind

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009
    We'll hash it out after I get you the outline. I'm assuming that the government of the USA is going to be something like in DC or Marvel?

wwtMask on
    edited August 2009
    these are short stories, so I doubt even seeing the government will happen in 90% of them, but I picture it being like Marvel's with the group controlling the satellite being very S.H.I.E.L.D.-like

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TLB if you need an assistant editor, or someone to occasionally slap some bitches, I'm your man.

(I also have some story ideas of my own, but I'm sure you're overwhelmed with pitches so I can hold off for now and let other people go first).

Lucascraft on
    edited August 2009
    send me some pitches

trust me, I want as many pitches as possible because I know some chumps ain't gonna deliver

lookin' at you blank, keith, and sars

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2009
    I clicked on this thread to say that I don't read this thread

I'd write something but I think Anjin has my "Writing Comics" By Peter David book

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2009
    keith you horrible slacker

gonna give the idea you gave me to a lesser writer

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2009
    No you won't! I've got that shit timestamped and ready to sue

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2009
    gonna give it to a dude in hong kong so you can't sue

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Batman has no jurisdiction.

He'll find him, and he'll make him squeal.

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2009
    Batman is busy with real problems Keith

stop bothering him

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I had imagined that the sentry duty satellite(s) would be owned and operated by a non-political party, allowing them to operate in any country in the world, so long as they had permission from the current political leaders. Possibly do it on a subscription basis. If you're operating a country in a world where there are weekly super powered threats showing up to knock your shit down, why would you say "No" to dropping a few million a year to insure that you have a ready supply of super powered agents available to combat it? Could explain why military service exempts one from sentry duty, you're already serving your countries interests in a different way against a different enemy.

Of course, it's not my setting or idea so I could be way off base here. But patching plotholes is an enjoyable way to pass some time.

Granted, if you're running a dictatorial regime and engaging in genocide against half the population of your country you might not want to risk the chance that one of them is going to get sentry-duty and decide to end you before taking out the super-villian, but other then that...

see317 on
    edited August 2009
    see my thing is:

what does it matter who runs the satellite?

it's a bunch of short stories.

you don't have time to worry about these things.

I have ideas for who runs it as I've said before, but that is it.

the idea is for stories along the veins of WHAT IF X TYPE OF PERSON HAD TO BE A SUPERHERO.

it is about examining characters not setting.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    do we really need to give this fun whacky thing the post-watchmen "comics for 'mature people' suck the fun whimsical whackyness out of it treatment?

DouglasDanger on
    edited August 2009
    douglas you my dogg

you get it

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    douglas you my dogg

you get it

I need to think of something that doesn't involve a luchador, as that would be too similar to the thing I work on intermittently and hope one day to turn into a thing.

DouglasDanger on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, why couldn't you have used the word "luchador" three days ago? As soon as I saw it, some weird word association thing put "matador" into my head, which gave me an idea for a Silver Age-style hero that I could have put into the contest if I thought of it in time. Anyway, Steve Estevez is a young, meek boy dreaming of greatness, until a brush with destiny turns him into El Magnifico, the Mysterious Matador from Madrid (dude's from Brooklyn).

Delduwath on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Maybe all the "established heroes" could be caricatures of former Charlton characters who are all so wrapped up in being mature and pushing envelopes and questioning themselves that they're functionally inept when it comes to superheroing.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Man, why couldn't you have used the word "luchador" three days ago? As soon as I saw it, some weird word association thing put "matador" into my head, which gave me an idea for a Silver Age-style hero that I could have put into the contest if I thought of it in time. Anyway, Steve Estevez is a young, meek boy dreaming of greatness, until a brush with destiny turns him into El Magnifico, the Mysterious Matador from Madrid (dude's from Brooklyn).

He should sing.

"Magnifico beats up the BANK ROB-BERS! Magnifico saves all the PRE-TTY GIRLS! Magnifico stops all the CRIME IN TOWN! Magnifico coming to SAVE THE WOR-" ::brzt::

And then your last panel is some kid from Brooklyn dancing around like an idiot because he doesn't realize that he just went off duty.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    143999 wrote: »
    Maybe all the "established heroes" could be caricatures of former Charlton characters who are all so wrapped up in being mature and pushing envelopes and questioning themselves that they're functionally inept when it comes to superheroing.

I like that a lot.

But that could describe most supers from DC/Marvel right now.

Crimsondude on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    10 pages. I'm lazy. Are there any drawings in this motherfucker yet?

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited August 2009
    The only art is the little logo I designed which can be found on page 8.

Lucascraft on
    edited August 2009
    10 pages. I'm lazy. Are there any drawings in this motherfucker yet?

there'd be drawings if writers weren't such dang slackers

write me something bitches

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You said you wanted to write something first to show us how it's done!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited August 2009
    I never said that

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009
    TLB I sent you some shit. Including some very bad art.
    Note the italics. I did that just for you.

Lucascraft on
    edited August 2009
    italics are the way of the future

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009
    also monday I am gonna announce some bigger rules as we get closer to the second phase

also I'm gonna get the artists involved finally

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    still wanna do this

sometime

Sars_Boy on
    edited August 2009
    do it already sars

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    srsizzy wrote: »
    What exactly happens when you're beamed? Does the satellite talk to you? Talk into your mind? Make an immediate subconscious analysis and then give you powers and you just know?

And if people get psych evaluations, does that mean everyone is forced to go in and register? Or is it a choice? Can I have a character that doesn't want to have done it, but is suddenly forced into it? I mean, it seems if it's just a matter of getting registered, a person could avoid that. Can a person who's never gone into any agency or anything be in the middle of a vast empty expanse of wilderness, be the only one available to be zapped, and then be zapped?

I'm assuming from many of your posts that realistic logistics are being abandoned. If people can be zapped in any country, anywhere in the world, then registration is impossible. If people can only be zapped in America, then the rest of the world would just be pissed the fuck off and be in way more danger. So, can people just be zapped any time, anywhere, no matter what?
    These questions got missed on the bottom of the page, and if they turn out one way rather than another, it affects my pitch.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
    edited August 2009
    it is a thing you have to do like jury duty. the second you turn 18, you have to register to be a part of the program, get the psych eval, etc. Just like signing up for the draft. you will never have someone not signed up unless they fail the psych test. yes this means there are no phyiscal requirements because superpowers.

and yes the satellite talks to you when you get powers. it is sentient. it is kind of your sidekick.

as for the beaming - it only works in America as it is meant to deal with American threats.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg