As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MISC] Pre-Pre-PAX Events in Vancouver BC:

• AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Theros wrote: »
    The Pre Pax Open 1.0 (Cannot attend if before 4PM)

I'm thinking the golf thing will probably be starting sometime between 4-6pm. With a late event the night before we definately won't be on the course in the morning.... and I doubt any of us want to be golfing right around noon. My golf stroke is bad enough without adding heat stroke (seeing how the weather has been so far this summer).

I've got you added for the other events.

Everyone else make sure you are added to the events you plan to attend in the OP, especially the early posters (ACC3SS, Tr0tsky, Sumi, etc) as there are some events that were added since you first posted your preferences. :winky:

AbsintheMinded on
  • ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Theros wrote: »
    Huzzah?

HUZZAH!

PS. Put me down for the Rock Band night, too.

ACC3SS on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    At this point, I'm in for everything listed...although that will be a busy weekend :lol:

tr0tsky on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    O right, I forgot to check the rosters.

In that case, put me down for everything. Shouldn't be any problem making it to all the events.

Wormdundee on
    edited July 2009
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    At this point, I'm in for everything listed...although that will be a busy weekend :lol:

Yes, yes it will.... Just consider it practice for PAX. :mrgreen:

Just another reminder that Second Level Wizards will be holding their Saturday Morning Cartoon Party at the Rio Theatre on August 8th.

So far ACC3SS and I will both be attending, if anyone else is up for it, let us know and we'll meet up beforehand.

Speaking of the Rio, if anyone wants to check out Inglorious Bastards at the Rio during our Pre-PAX week of activities let me know. That's the movie they will be showing those two weeks (Aug 21st through PAX). They will of course have more Friday night midnight double features, and I'll post the titles once they announce them.

AbsintheMinded on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Unfortunately I'm driving to Seattle on the 8th. I hope you have fun though :D

Wormdundee on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I contacted Asmadi Games today... They're sending me a copy of We Didn't Playtest This Either.... Absinthe, you still have the first game right?

parabola on
    edited August 2009
    parabola wrote: »
    I contacted Asmadi Games today... They're sending me a copy of We Didn't Playtest This Either.... Absinthe, you still have the first game right?

Nope I never bought it.... though that reminds me I should order a copy.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited August 2009
    parabola wrote: »

Nope I never bought it.... though that reminds me I should order a copy.

Who had the copy we used at PAX?

parabola on
    edited August 2009
    I think it was Adam's.....

Either way I just put in and order for all three decks. I should have it in time for most of our festivities.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited August 2009
    Sweet. I'll have WDPTDE in a couple weeks...

parabola on
    edited August 2009
    I think I might bail on the Rock Band night to see the Akira/Ghost in the Shell double-feature at the Rio. (Friday August 21st)
    :D

@Absinthe: The previous Saturday Morning Cartoons have started at 10am. (1 started at 9:30am).

ACC3SS on
    edited August 2009
    Ghost in the Shell eh?

I might be tempted to partake in that as well.... that being said the Rock Band night starts at 9pm, so I'll still attend but might be slipping out aroud 11ish.

Although that will depend on if they are showing the dubbed or subtitled versions.... not so fussy about subtitles for those two movies. Should be interesting if they offer the usual ticket discount for costumed people in either event.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited August 2009
    Although that will depend on if they are showing the dubbed or subtitled versions....

Oh, good point! Damn... when I attended the Miyazaki double-feature (Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away) they were both in English. Princess Mononoke has superb voice-overs, but I was ticked-off by the Spirited Away dubs.

Curses. Akira in English is... undesirable.

ACC3SS on
    edited August 2009
    And to expand on the little side conversation ACC3SS and I are having, here's the list of Friday Midnight Double Features at the Rio Theatre this month:

August 7th: Dazed and Confused & Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    August 14th: 2001 & Dark Star
    August 21st: Akira & Ghost in the Shell
    August 28th: The Rocky Horror Picture Show & Little Shop of Horrors

For the 28th, it should be possible to make it to the Rio after the Jimz event by midnight if any one wants to attend their twisted musical double feature.

For the 21st you can attend the Darby's event for a couple hours and still make the start of the movies.

As far as the Rio's encouragement of movie specific cosplay goes, as per usual it won't be frowned upon and will proabably be encouraged. I've yet to find out if they are offering any ticket price discounts for people in costumes for any of the shows (I'll be shocked if this does not happen on the 28th). If you intend on attending any of these, let us know (I'm a block away so I can attend all of them). If you intend on attending any of these AND intend on wearing a movie appropriate costume also let us know. I personaly don't cosplay so if I'm going to track down this information its good to know that someone actually needs it. :winky:

AbsintheMinded on
    edited August 2009
    Sign me up for the PUTTPUTT. :D

ACC3SS on
  • RC DemoralRC Demoral Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sign me up for the Vancouver wings night, + 1.

w00t.

RC Demoral on
    edited August 2009
    http://kotaku.com/5329058/bioshock-2-marketing-crew-wants-you-on-a-beach-saturday

Kits beach is listed. Anyone wanna meet up? Sunrise on a saturday = o_O though

tr0tsky on
    edited August 2009
    http://kotaku.com/5329058/bioshock-2-marketing-crew-wants-you-on-a-beach-saturday

Is that this Saturday?

That might be doable, I don't live too far away and have to be up early for the thing at the Rio anyway.

Although I have no idea what that thing you linked is for, other than viral marketing. lol.

AbsintheMinded on
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Meh, kinda looks like a big jip to me...
    and yeah... 5:35am?? naw thanks...
    I'm up for all the other events though!!
    Duuddeee, can't beleive I didn't check out his thread earlier. Although doesn't help that I kinda ignored the forums for so long.

I'll get back to you what I can come out to, hopefully everything so I get a chance to meet up with some of me fellow canadajin pax-goers.

Also, Trostsky, I'm right beside you in BYOC!! Just noticed that...

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited August 2009
    Is that this Saturday?

Yes.
    That might be doable, I don't live too far away and have to be up early for the thing at the Rio anyway.

Although I have no idea what that thing you linked is for, other than viral marketing. lol.

ooh, good idea. Maybe I'll do that too if you come down to the beach. It's pretty much just viral marketing, I think...maybe some free junk though.

tr0tsky on
    edited August 2009
    Tempted. Very tempted. I'm going to be playing my Saturday by ear, but I intend to see these Bioshock shenanigans.

Plus, if this comes true and I didn't see it, I would cry.
    Kotaku wrote:
    I'm hoping it'll be a guy in a Big Daddy suit.

ACC3SS on
  • stabn_stabn_ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pretty tempted to drive up from seattle for 22nd/23rd. All options both days sound pretty awesome.

stabn_ on
    Slytherin Headboy: Order of the Phoenix!
    edited August 2009
    stabn_ wrote: »
    Pretty tempted to drive up to seattle for 22nd/23rd. All options both days sound pretty awesome.

drive up *from* seattle?

tr0tsky on
  • stabn_stabn_ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I swear it said from the entire time :winky:

stabn_ on
    Slytherin Headboy: Order of the Phoenix!
    edited August 2009
    stabn_ wrote: »
    I swear it said from the entire time :winky:

Ah no worries, you simply looked like you called Vancouver Seattle, we could be called a lot worse things.... at least that one could be considered a compliment. :mrgreen:

AbsintheMinded on
    edited August 2009
    Tomorrow's Saturday Morning Cartoon Party HAS BEEN POSTPONED

Emailed Toren from 2LW. He hopes to reschedule in September.

Absinthe and Trotsky (and all), I still plan on doing the Bioshock/Breakfast thing tomorrow morning. Hopefully the lack of sugary cereal incentives doesn't mean you're staying in bed all day! ^.^

EDIT: Bailing on tomorrow morning.

ACC3SS on
    edited August 2009
    ACC3SS wrote: »

Absinthe and Trotsky (and all), I still plan on doing the Bioshock/Breakfast thing tomorrow morning. Hopefully the lack of sugary cereal incentives doesn't mean you're staying in bed all day! ^.^

=(

Oh well, we can go get breakfast afterwards or something.

tr0tsky on
    edited August 2009
    ACC3SS wrote: »

Oh Noes... delayed?

I'm not that surprised as I haven't seen any event signage around the Rio yet.... I was half expecting to show up tomorrow and find out it wasn't happening.

I could gripe about the last minute day before cancellation.... but PAX is in less than a month so I'm stoked about everything. Hell, I can find a silver lining in the cancellation if I try hard enough.

In any event our events will be happening so anyone who hasn't RSVP'd get on the list!

AbsintheMinded on
    edited August 2009
    oh right! gotta do that soon...
    Meh, the Vancouver ones are a little far away for me as I live in Maple Ridge, but I'm so in for the Coquitlam event!

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • refragrefrag Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mark me down for:
    Friday August 21st: Rock Band Night @ Darby's
    Saturday August 22nd: ZOMGLAzERPEWPEW Night @ Laser Dome
    Friday August 28th: ACC3SS's Still Unnamed Gaming Night @ Jimz Gaming Lounge

refrag on
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So did anyone go this morning? I want to know if anything happened on kits.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
    edited August 2009
    I couldn't make it.

I wasn't able to find a way down to Kits beach that early. In addition I ended up in Abbotsford Friday night and didn't get back into Vancouver untill 2:00am.

Either way this is what it was.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited August 2009
    Sumi wrote: »
    So did anyone go this morning? I want to know if anything happened on kits.

I did. Wasn't really interesting. Just some marketing chick putting Rapture wine bottles in the sand. Had some small posters inside. Met some new people and went for breakfast with them though, so that was cool.

tr0tsky on
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I couldn't make it.

I wasn't able to find a way down to Kits beach that early. In addition I ended up in Abbotsford Friday night and didn't get back into Vancouver untill 2:00am.

And you didn't call me!? Ptch. :P

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
    edited August 2009
    Sumi wrote: »
    I couldn't make it.

And you didn't call me!? Ptch. :P

I went out for a little late night mini putt at Castle Fun Park. From all the negativity in this thread I didn't think anyone here would want to go. :P

Actually it was last minute, some of my friends decided rather impromptu to go there and called me when they were passing my apartment.

On the plus side they really seemed to have cleaned the place up. Almost everything was working. I couldn't get my car to shift out of 2nd gear on their 4 player Daytona game, but switching to automatic for the next race was able to resolve that.

The outdoor mini putt was interesting to do at 10pm. Their lighting sucked but that just made it more entertaining. "How close am I to the hole?" "Uhm, I'm not sure.... where is the hole?"

AbsintheMinded on
    edited August 2009
    "How close am I to the hole?" "Uhm, I'm not sure.... where is the hole?"

Sounds like my last date...

tr0tsky on
    edited August 2009
    "How close am I to the hole?" "Uhm, I'm not sure.... where is the hole?"

Sounds like my last date...

I take it that's what she said?

Aaaanyway....

Since this thread was re-labeled as [MISC] instead of [PRIME] I guess it should be used for a quick discussion of Pre-PAX East events in Vancouver at some point. I'm more than happy to put together a PAX FTW! (FOR THE WINGS) NIGHT 2.5 on Tuesday March 23rd and perhaps a dinner gathering for any PAX-Easters (would it be too much of a lame pun to do dinner at Boston Pizza? :winky:).

I'm just a little curious if there will be a demand for such events. Any PAXers would be welcome, whether travelling to PAX East or just wellwishers who wanted an excuse to log off XBL for a few hours. I know of three Vancouverites going (including myself) just seeing if there are any more.

Edit: And before I forget... For the currently listed events we're getting pretty close to the time when we need to finalize reservations. So if you have RSVP'd and are bringing a +1 to any of these events, let us know. Also if you are lurking, have not RVSP'd and intend to attend also let us know.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited August 2009
    yeah I figured that beach thing would be pretty lame...
    Did you walk away with any swag Trotsky?

Sooo yeah just about to head off to bed here but tomorrow after work I'll look at my calendar and let you guys know what events I can be there for.
    Hopefully all of them...

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited August 2009
    Serenity wrote: »
    yeah I figured that beach thing would be pretty lame...
    Did you walk away with any swag Trotsky?

Just the bottle of Arcadia "wine" with Bioshock posters inside. If you look up the event on kotaku or something it has pictures.

tr0tsky on
This discussion has been closed.