As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Component Cables for PS2

zychizychi Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
I just got God of War 2, and according to the box/wikipedia it can output at 1080i. I saw these 14,99 Madcatz component cables online and was wondering if anyone had any experience with some of these cables, and which are the best for God of War 2, FFXII and Disgaea 2(heard the sprites look horrible on hdtvs with component).

zychi on

• Options
    ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't know about those cables but for 19.99 in Best Buy I picked up Sony component cables that work for PS2 and PS3. They work and feel like they have a good build quality so if you can find them might as well pick em up over 3rd party, especially Mad Catz. I've used them with FFXII and the results aren't very pretty, either dull, washed out composite, or jaggy as hell (albeit bright) component.

Rei on
  • Options
    jimenexjimenex Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Can anyone confirm that it does run in 1080i? I read on IGN that it will do 720p on the PS3. Can it do 1080i on the PS2? Can the PS2 handle that? If someone can confirm this it might just get me to buy it!

jimenex on
    bg.gif
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, Iknow for a fact that Gran Turismo 4 is able to be viewed in 1080i, so maybe.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Madcatz also makes a component cable that works with PS1/PS2/PS3, Xbox, and Xbox 360. It's sold at Gamestop with a Gamestop logo on the package... but the cables have the Madcatz logo molded on them. There's another cable from some other maker that works with Wii but maybe not Xbox 1.

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm playing God of War 2 on a PS3 with HDMI, it does not output 1080i. 480p max.

Urian on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    But it says it does 1080i on the box? that's strange...even if it is just the PS2 upscaling the textures. Can anybody with a PS2 confirm this?

jimenex on
    bg.gif
  • Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't see anything about 1080i on my box, in my manual or in my game.

So either

A) I'm a blind idiot

or

B) It doesn't support 1080i

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jimenex wrote: »
    But it says it does 1080i on the box? that's strange...even if it is just the PS2 upscaling the textures. Can anybody with a PS2 confirm this?

I told my friend to bring it over Thursday because I had heard the 720p rumor and I wanted him to see it on my PS3 and new 1080p Sony XBR LCD TV. Only thing is, I didn't know it was a rumor... Last I had checked, it was supposedly "confirmed" and not a rumor. I wasn't following GoWII developments closely because I planned to get it when it hit the Greatest Hits series.

So when we started it up, the guy just wouldn't go to options and set anything. He wanted to jump right in, but it clearly didn't do 720p automatically with any sort of automatic negotiation with the PS3 and its supported resolutions. He checked the in-game options and there was nothing. We set widescreen 16:9 and progressive scan, but we couldn't find anything else.

While he was playing, I hit Wikipedia first and found that thing about the game supporting 1080i. I never owned a PS2, so I wouldn't know how to set supported resolutions for a PS2 game (unlike Gamecube, PS3, Wii, XBOX, etc). I checked and it's not on the box. I checked the manual and there's nothing about 1080i. I hit up Google and found that the developers conclusively stated that the game is 480i/p "only" in response to the 720p mistake. That leaves no room for 1080i.

The official word is "no" per the developers. No 720p, no 1080i. The only place I've seen mentioning 1080i is Wikipedia. Wikipedia needs an edit.

CZroe on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh, and the component cables are on Manager's Special at some Best Buy stores. I nabbed a couple for $7.50 each.

CZroe on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The OP mentioned that it was in the box. Thanks much for clarification Czroe :^:

jimenex on
    bg.gif
  • Options
    zychizychi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    1080i isn't on the box, my mistake. But it does looks at least 2x better with the ps2/ps3 sony official component cables. I think I'm running it at 480p right now, but no where does it say what its running at. My tv usual native resolution is 1080p so it could be upconverting it. The only options in game is "widescreen and progressive scan" I put both on and saw a pretty good improvement overall, combat is still kinda fuzzy, but the jaggies and ugliness during cutscenes is better.

zychi on