As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Colin McRae: DiRT [NSF56k]

2»

• Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Just tried the game with my Logitech Driving Force Pro...

Um...

There needs to be a fix. I may not be a professional rally driver, but I'm not new at the games...and I basically spend the entire time as a pendulum...fishtailing left, right, left, right, left, right...and the only way to straighten out is to stop the car or slow it to a crawl.

Spent a good bit of time working with the settings, to no avail.

It seems like there's a delay between my input and the wheel moving in the game...but at the same time it's oversensitive, I'm only using maybe 40-50% of my wheel's lock-to-lock movement.

So far there's no answers to be found on the official forums, just scores of people complaining about the same issue...and a few responding back saying it's "perfectly fine" for them with the exact same settings I've tried.

Oh well. Someone will find a way to tweak it. ;)

citizen059 on
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Does the Driving Force Pro work in 900° mode or 200° mode with DiRT? Because I always found 240° racing wheels way too unrealistically sensitive to the point of unplayability, and if the Driving Force Pro isn't recognized, it might be defaulting to 200° mode.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I tried to play it with my keyboard. Let's just say trying to race on a track in Italy where there are cliffs you can go over is a bad thing for ones health.

The game looks both good and bad at the same time. The detail is great, but everything has this polished, unrealistic look to it. It must be the lighting or something.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    JWFokker wrote: »
    Does the Driving Force Pro work in 900° mode or 200° mode with DiRT? Because I always found 240° racing wheels way too unrealistically sensitive to the point of unplayability, and if the Driving Force Pro isn't recognized, it might be defaulting to 200° mode.

It works in both modes, but I have yet to play a racing sim where the 900 mode was worth using.

In this game, as well as others, you have to turn the wheel way too far to get the steering response you need, it's just more efficient to stick with the shorter wheel lock.

I think what's lacking is calibration...I can calibrate the wheel in Windows, but not in the game.

In older sims, like Papyrus' NASCAR or Grand Prix Legends, you can calibrate the wheel in-game and it knows the full lock-to-lock value and assigns it a numerical value.

With most newer games, you don't see that...in this case, I'm not getting the full lock-to-lock use, the car is at full lock in the game long before I am.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Just tried the game with my Logitech Driving Force Pro...

Um...

There needs to be a fix. I may not be a professional rally driver, but I'm not new at the games...and I basically spend the entire time as a pendulum...fishtailing left, right, left, right, left, right...and the only way to straighten out is to stop the car or slow it to a crawl.

Spent a good bit of time working with the settings, to no avail.

It seems like there's a delay between my input and the wheel moving in the game...but at the same time it's oversensitive, I'm only using maybe 40-50% of my wheel's lock-to-lock movement.

So far there's no answers to be found on the official forums, just scores of people complaining about the same issue...and a few responding back saying it's "perfectly fine" for them with the exact same settings I've tried.

Oh well. Someone will find a way to tweak it. ;)

Great, another RBR and GPL player!

Since we're on the same page here, I must concur that I had the same experience as well, though I used a 360 controller on my PC, since I don't have my wheel hooked up.

I adjusted the linear steering settings to both extremes and noticed little difference. The controls are definetly delayed by about half a second or a bit less, and they are definetly oversensitive.

Also, the game seems very stiff. I don't get the feel of the suspension travel which GPL and LFS has. So I guess a patch is needed, but if they do issue it, it might become a contender.

God damnit, Codemasters, you've had almost 10 years to produce a decently realistic rally game now!

The graphics were really great, though, but uneven. That dirt track in the demo was butt fucking ugly, the italian rally track was mediocre, but that german rally cross track was absolutely stunning! The grass, the trees, the lightning... oh my god, the lightning! Almost unbelievable.

First game which beats Gran Turismo 4 on the graphic side, imo, yet still... it doesn't look realistic. But very, very stylished. I hope they will polish the rest of the tracks for the final product, because I will be showing taht german track to my friends, but those others I'll bloody hide and even refuse to race on.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'd blame the poor HDR implementation for the lack of realism.

If you want to see better HDR (better than PGR3 even), check out the Burnout 5 screenshots. Seriously. I was quite impressed to see the most arcadey of racers has some of the most realistic graphics.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    XieflowXieflow Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The demo for this was absolutely awesome. It's very arcadey, which is exactly what I want, as I can't stand simulation racers.

Xieflow on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Xieflow wrote: »
    The demo for this was absolutely awesome. It's very arcadey, which is exactly what I want, as I can't stand simulation racers.

Arcadey or realistic doesn't really matter when it comes to sluggish and oversensitive controls, does it?

Or where you playing on a 360 and this is a PC issue?

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This game looks surprisingly good. Much better than Forza 2 or any of the PGR 4 screens I've seen.

Any word on Rallisport Challenge 3?

Naaahhhh

bruin on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The PGR4 screens and high def movie I watched looked very much like PGR3, with some nifty water droplet effects, but the level of detail and lighting quality was lacking.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Any word on Rallisport Challenge 3?

wonder if EA will allow DICE to make a game for MS instead of churning out another battlefield game.

don't think it will happen :(

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    ThrustinJThrustinJ Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is Dirt good? I'm a big fan of Forza and GT, but I want a good slidy dirt racer. I was going to see if Circuit City had it for cheap.

ThrustinJ on
  • Options
    KeyScourgeKeyScourge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    I just cannot keep the car on the road in this game. It's impossible!

KeyScourge on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm not a big racing game fan, but I enjoyed DIRT a lot. You definitely need a gamepad you're comfortable with to make any headway in the game, though.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods