As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Much ado about polygons

LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Artist's Corner
I've been farting around with 3d modeling for a bit but never really tried any organic modeling.. Untill Now! :mrgreen:
So I figured I'd start a thread and post my work as I go and hopefully you nice folks will pick it apart and offer some helpful criticism.

I figure I'd start with a human head so here's what I've put together so far this weekend.
Head_Front.jpg

Head_Profile.jpg

Head_45.jpg

I think the eye shape is a bit off and I think they may be too far apart also think the mouth is far too wide.

HELP! (feel free to draw all over the images).

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
LittleBoots on

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It may be a good idea to set up some image planes with a picture of a face on each (front-view on one, profile view on another), so you can get a more accurate head-shape. The face is also incredibly flat right now - there is no indication of any underlying bone or muscle structure. Take a look at a skull, and really study it from different angles. Try looking up muscles of the head in google, too (as well as looking at your own face in the mirror)...and study where the flesh rises and falls.

It looks like you did this out of your head, and if you want it to look realistic, you're probably going to need a lot of reference (to help you understand the structure of the head).

NightDragon on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Are you using Blender? I bet you're using Blender.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    D-Robe wrote: »
    Are you using Blender? I bet you're using Blender.

That is a possibility.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There's a little button on the mirror modifier you can press to make sure each side sticks together when you move stuff around or use the smooth modifier.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    There's a little button on the mirror modifier you can press to make sure each side sticks together when you move stuff around or use the smooth modifier.

Yeah, I having clipping on but on open edges the subsurf bends the edge, so the mirror modifier things it's clipped at 0 but it's really not. It's not a big deal and really easy to fix when you apply the mirror modifier.

I went out and got some reference photos and I made a bit of progress, hopefully in the right direction.

Head3_15deg.jpg

EDIT:

I should probably post my reference:

LittleBoots on

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, I certainly think that's an improvement. :) Good good!

Keep at it. If you could post a profile of what you have so far, I think that'd be good. It still feels like some of the features on your face are a little too flat - mainly around the eyes, and the lips and chin. The bridge of the nose also looks like it me be a bit too thin.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nah, it doesn't bend the edge if you do it right.

sticky.png

Nudge the vertice(s) toward the reflection until the edges stick.

MKR on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The second attempt is a much larger improvement over the first indeed. :)

As said, definitely try pulling some of the geometry further back to give the face a natural "round" shape. Try inserting a light source into your workspace, it will help in showing the depth of the facial features and give you a better idea on how and where you should be sculpting.

Would you mind posting a couple wire-frames of your face? They could aid us better in critique your work :)

Cristoval on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    Nah, it doesn't bend the edge if you do it right.

Nudge the vertice(s) toward the reflection until the edges stick.

Heh, I sat here and nudged, pushed and pulled that vert and couldn't get it to stick, then I saw that my mirror modifier was after the subsurf in the stack. I switched their order and it stitched right up :P

Here are the profile and wire frame shots to help with the crits. I haven't changed anything since yesterday. Going to start working on rounding the face out more in a bit.

Check out my sweet placeholder ears.

Front_and_Profile.jpg

Front_and_Profile_WIRE.jpg

LittleBoots on

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ears were always the hardest to wrap my head around geometry wise. Thankfully with invention of Zbrush I can now just sculpt away at them as if they were clay.

Thicken-up the outer edge of the ear and add a little more geometric shape inside and I think you'll be golden!

Cristoval on