As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ultimate Spider-Thread!

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    They should hire a comedian to just write jokes for Spider-Man and sprinkle them throughout every issue. Maybe Dane Cook.

Robos A Go Go on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The correct answer would be Greg Daniels.

TexiKen on
    edited August 2009
    Joan Rivers!

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2009
    Whoever writes 2 and a Half Men? or According to Jim. Or Seth Meyers.

TexiKen on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Joan Rivers!

they should hire

RAAAAAAAANDY

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What about that hilarious latino comedian

Oh what's his name

Carlos Mencia

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    They should hire a comedian to just write jokes for Spider-Man and sprinkle them throughout every issue. Maybe Dane Cook.

Spider-Man's jokes would all have to be CAPITAL LETTERS WITH LOTS OF EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!

Lux on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Joan Rivers!

they should hire

RAAAAAAAANDY
    There's webbing on my diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccckkkkkkk

HadjiQuest on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2009

Just so you know, implying that Dane Cook is funny is a bannable offense.

DJ Eebs on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Some of his early stuff isn't terrible the first time you hear it.

Fencingsax on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Some of his early stuff isn't terrible the first time you hear it.

The first time you hear it from the person he stole it from, yeah.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    OK I feel stupid. For the longest time I thought the first artist for UCA was the same guy who drew Ultimate War.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »
    that dude in the preview dosen't look anything like the Mysterio from USM Annual #3

meh he looks similar. Head all smoky and magical and stuff.

When I first saw the art for this guy, I thought 'Finally! Ultimate Ghost Rider!' Then I read the solicits.

But I guess Mysterio is pretty cool too.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ultimate Ghost Rider is going to be in Ultimate Avengers.

KVW on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    still waiting for Ultimate D.K.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Donkey Kong isn't a Marvel character sorry.

Faynor on
    edited August 2009
    you just wanna make me post it again don't you

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is that Blade on the Ultimate Comics Avengers cover? Can anybody tell me what issues of USM he was in? I'm slowly collecting that series, and haven't seen Ultimate Blade yet.

Hensler on
    edited August 2009
    He first appeared in the Ultimate Spider-Man Special, which was a one shot to cap off the Ultimate Marvel Team-Up series. He showed up for only 8 pages. He was basically the same as DD in telling Spidey to slag off.

TexiKen on
    edited August 2009
    He's in the Morbius arc, which is #95-96, right before the Clone Saga starts.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    Sweet, thanks. Except for a few Tomb of Dracula's that I haven't found yet, I've got all of Blade's comic book appearances.

Hensler on
    edited August 2009
    that can either be a really good thing

or a horrible thing

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22449 - Wizard Chicago's Ultimates panel. Long read, but lots of good information and some new art about Ultimate Spidey and the other Ultimate Comics books.
    When McCann asked the audience whether or not they'd like to see new series, Millar jumped in with, "Does the name Alan Moore mean anything to you? Keep Twittering that!" Millar also noted that he plans to include Ultimate Spider-Man in his new series and "I'd like to write him quite badly" to upset Bendis who is very territorial with the character. "Ultimate Spider-Man is like a skinny little Bendis with hair."

Hensler on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Millar's just jealous that Ultimate Spidey is the only thing to survive the ultimate comics line without a soul crushing taint.

Use whichever definition of taint you prefer, they both work here.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thinking about it, it's pretty crazy that Bendis has been writing USM since issue 1. You hardly ever see that sort of commitment to a character anymore.

Kyougu on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2009
    I don't think it's lack of commitment that's the problem with changing creative teams

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2009
    Spider-Man and Ultimates preview.

Edit: Whoops, just saw the date.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2009
    Sentry wrote: »
    Millar's just jealous that Ultimate Spidey is the only thing to survive the ultimate comics line without a soul crushing taint.

or he's mark millar and he just likes to give people shit

DJ Eebs on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

or he's mark millar and he just likes to give people shit

Probably a mixture of both. I can see him being kind of miffed at what his Ultimates became down the line. I don't really know how devoted he was to the characters, so I can't say. Bendis could be described as being overly protective of Ultimate Spidey, but it seems to have been warranted.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • DeJesusDeJesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    USM was the only consistently good Ultimate book. I liked some arcs more than others, but i always looked forward to it. Because I know bendis will snag me with a storyline or idea at some point. I`d say Ultimates 2 is in my top 5 of mainstream arcs of all time. It`s close to Watchmen good.

I really can`t say i enjoyed reading much of Ultimatum, for the most part it was shock value, and little substance. But i think with some of the big name deaths, it really does what it was supposed to do, which is separate the ultimate line from the the main marvel continuity. Now I`m actually looking forward to the new ultimate line.

DeJesus on
    edited August 2009
    While I can understand liking it, comparing Ultimates 2 to Watchmen is pretty o_O

And I disagree with you thinking Ultimatium fulfill's the Ultimate universe's purpose. It isn't a universe where everyone can die. They can do that in What If?s. It's supposed to be more accessible to the average guy.

Faynor on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    While I can understand liking it, comparing Ultimates 2 to Watchmen is pretty o_O

And I disagree with you thinking Ultimatium fulfill's the Ultimate universe's purpose. It isn't a universe where everyone can die. They can do that in What If?s. It's supposed to be more accessible to the average guy.

I guess less characters=less continuity=more accessible.

Kyougu on
    edited August 2009
    If they were going to cull the Ultimate universe, they should have murdered 90% of the cast of Ultimate X-Men. God damn did that series get convoluted fast.

DJ Eebs on
    edited August 2009
    The Ultimate Universe it too obsessed with making every major hero and villain from the 616 into a crazy version of themselves that is just... MORE EXTREME!. I want to see Ultimate get away from showing Marvel characters through the funhouse mirror and instead be more about updating the concepts. Let Ultimate Spider-Man be about a kid with spider-powers fighting bad guys; they don't have to be the same bad guys we've seen in the regular books for forty years.

Hensler on
    edited August 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    The Ultimate Universe it too obsessed with making every major hero and villain from the 616 into a crazy version of themselves that is just... MORE EXTREME!. I want to see Ultimate get away from showing Marvel characters through the funhouse mirror and instead be more about updating the concepts. Let Ultimate Spider-Man be about a kid with spider-powers fighting bad guys; they don't have to be the same bad guys we've seen in the regular books for forty years.

While the Ultimate Line is guilty of this, I think you used the worst possible example. Ultimate Spider-Man does update the concepts. I can't really think of a way they made someone more extreme. Except maybe Gwen, because she was a cardboard cut out of a doll that wanted to be a real girl someday. (Get it? She's bland! Badum-ch.)

Faynor on
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I was thinking of Gwen, and Osborn, but I picked Spider-Man as an example since it's the USM thread. Ultimate X-Men was the biggest offender: These are like the original versions, only some of them are gay!

Hensler on
    edited August 2009
    I thought Piotr's sexuality was handled pretty well.

Robos A Go Go on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've read every Ultimate book with the exception of the 2 Ultimate Iron Man stories, Ultimate Adventures (might still read that eventually), the second UFF/UXM Loeb book, and all of Robert Kirkman's UXM run. Now I admit I seem to have a very high tolerance for shitty books, my non-hatred of Ultimatum for instance, but I enjoyed pretty much all of the Ultimate universe. I didn't actively hate or even dislike anything I read.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited August 2009
    yeah the blame for that lays squarely on UXM, Ultimate Spidey has been perfect in that regard in my opinion.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    Not that it stops me from enjoying the book, but I still don't think the design for the Green Goblin works very well.

Robos A Go Go on