As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wii Shop] Super Star Wars, NyxQuest, Rock N' Roll Climber, Brain Age Express

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Updated the thread, but didn't bother looking for videos since I'm at work.

SteevL on
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    darthmix wrote: »
    Ratings aside, I just don't have any precedent for Nintendo green-lighting a game whose only draw is its sexual theme for release on one of their systems. I mean, even if it doesn't have nudity, it's a strip poker game. It seems completely counter to the image they try to cultivate, at least in this region.

I wish I could gift it to the local TV news reporter's Wii console, for hilarious results.

Saddler on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Screw "Sexy Poker"

Wake me up when "Peek-a-boo Poker" gets released on the VC.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Are there any videos or screenshots of the Wii version of Sexy Poker?
    Ratings aside, I just don't have any precedent for Nintendo green-lighting a game whose only draw is its sexual theme for release on one of their systems. I mean, even if it doesn't have nudity, it's a strip poker game. It seems completely counter to the image they try to cultivate, at least in this region.
    It is also too sexy for Australia.
    http://au.gamespot.com/pages/news/story.php?sid=6210222&skipmc=1
    Australia's tough classification regime for games has struck again, although this time the victim isn't as high profile as last year's big-name casualties (such as Fallout 3 or F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin). Sexy Poker--an upcoming WiiWare game developed by Gameloft--has been refused classification by the Board, effectively banning the strip poker game from sale down under.

Sexy Poker pits a player against six different female opponents who wear stereotypical costumes, such as nurses' outfits, sports uniforms, police clothing, and business wear. According to the Board, the game was refused classification because nudity was used as an incentive--in this case, winning a game of poker.

"In the Board’s view Sexy Poker offers depictions of nudity as an incentive or reward to interactive game play. In the Board’s view, the general rule in the Guidelines for the Classification of Films and Computer Games prohibiting depictions of nudity as an incentive or reward, applies to the game play described above, as the player is shown increasingly detailed amounts of nudity following successful game-play," the statement said.

"In the view of the Board, the impact of the game exceeds strong as except in material restricted to adults, nudity and sexual activity must not be related to incentives or rewards. As such the game cannot be accommodated in a MA15+ classification." Because there is no R18+ rating for games in Australia, the highest classification level for a game is MA15+.

Couscous on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yet another week where I don't spend any Wii Points. Maybe that's a good thing. :P

urahonky on
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, save your points for good stuff like Cave Story.

SteevL on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sexy Cave Story

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Overturn looks like a sweet mix of Virtual ON and Armored Core. I'm waiting on the first buyers to post impressions, but the videos make it look fun.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Overturn looks like a sweet mix of Virtual ON and Armored Core. I'm waiting on the first buyers to post impressions, but the videos make it look fun.

Everyone is saying this and thus there are no first buyers. Everyone's waiting on everyone else to buy it first and post impressions.

slash000 on
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    slash000 wrote: »

Everyone is saying this and thus there are no first buyers. Everyone's waiting on everyone else to buy it first and post impressions.

I bought it. It's really fast paced and the aiming takes some getting used to (in terms of how much to lead targets and how the weapons behave, the pointer controls are awesome), but it's really fun.

I haven't had a chance to play online yet.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I found a lone Nyko Classic Controller Grip at a Gamestop today. Tagged for $4.99. I've always wanted one so I grabbed it. Rang up for $2.99

I love this fucking thing. Not only is the cable nice and tucked away but the grips might actually make starfox playable. And it adds the perfect amount of weight as well. Now the controller is of comparable weight to a 360 controller.

nyko-classic-controller-grip-20070614041859222-000.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah I got one of those awhile back at a gamestop for $.99 for no apparent reason.

It is in fact great.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited August 2009
    Yeah I got one of those awhile back at a gamestop for $.99 for no apparent reason.

It is in fact great.

It's fairly crazy but I'm actually tempted to buy a third Wii remote just so I never have to remove the one out of the grip. :P

I'm also crazily tempted to import a Classic Controller Pro, just for the hell of it.

Though I also want a White GC controller so I'd likely throw it all in one order.

...decisions.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    agoaj wrote: »
    Sexy Cave Story

Day 1 buy.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
    edited August 2009
    It's a very weird sensation to be able to point with the remote and then press the a button on the classic controller instead. lol

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey, so Icarian/NyxQuest is on the NA store today! EU people, any impressions? If I never got around to picking up Lost Winds, should I grab that or NyxQuest? Both have appealed to me.

Here's the full NA press release:
    WiiWare

NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits
    Publisher: Over The Top Games
    Players: 1-2
    ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Mild Fantasy Violence
    Price: 1,000 Wii Points™
    Description: Experience the awesome story of Nyx, an enigmatic winged girl who must descend from heaven in search of her missing friend, Icarus. Fly over the ruins of ancient Greece and avoid falling into blazing sands or perishing in the claws of cruel harpies and hydras. You will need the help of Zeus and other benevolent gods from Olympus to summon their powers. They will let you cast rays, modify the scenery and control winds as you wish. By making your own wrist movements and pointing to the game screen, you will be able to achieve these and many other feats. Fly, aim and shoot using your Wii Remote™ controller. Play with a friend and maximize your abilities: While one controls Nyx, the other will control the powers from the gods.

Rock N' Roll Climber
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Players: 1
    ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
    Price: 800 Wii Points
    Description: Prepare to "rock out" like never before in Rock N' Roll Climber. Climb rocks using the innovative control scheme, which has you controlling your character's movement using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk™ controllers. If you want an even more immersive experience, optional support for the Wii Balance Board™ is also available. Make your way up an array of courses, ranging from the Pop level's indoor rock wall to the Heavy Metal level's waterfalls (watch out for those moss-covered rocks - they're slick). In addition to the sense of accomplishment you'll feel upon reaching the top, you might just be rewarded with your own guitar.

Virtual Console

Super Star Wars

Original platform: Super NES
    Publisher: LucasArts
    ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Fantasy Violence
    Price: 800 Wii Points
    Description: Risk your life as a Jedi Knight. Join Luke, Han and Chewbacca in their fierce war against the Evil Empire. Battle treacherous aliens. Pilot two vehicles in high-speed, first-person 3-D sequences. Rip through the desert in Luke's landspeeder. Clash with aliens in the Mos Eisley Cantina. Blast menacing boss monsters and Imperial stormtroopers. Attack TIE fighters in the trenches of the Death Star. Fight your way through the wastelands of Tatooine to the hostile streets of Mos Eisley and beyond. Grab your blaster, strap on your lightsaber and take on the fight for galactic freedom.

Nintendo DSiWare

Brain Age Express: Arts & Letters

Publisher: Nintendo
    ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Mild Language
    Price: 800 Nintendo DSi Points™
    Description: This edition of the popular Brain Age series offers players a mix of new and familiar exercises, all with an artistic focus. Test your spelling in Word Attack, enjoy literary classics in Reading Aloud and tune your musical skills in Piano Player. A new Themes mode challenges you in drawing, photography and voice acting and lets you share your creativity with friends and family. And if you need a break, the always-enjoyable Virus Buster makes its return. Prepare for another round of training your brain in minutes a day.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That Brain Training actually sounds kinda promising, unfortunatly I don't have a DSi yet eeeerr.

earthwormadam on
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yay for Super Star Wars.

Though how many times in a row has there been only 1 VC game a week? I haven't been keeping track but it seems every time I check there's only 1. I miss the days when there would be 3 VC games each week.

Slicer on
    edited August 2009
    Super Star Wars. That's kind of out of nowhere isn't it?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Perhaps Super Star Wars was the announcement the LucasArts twitter was referring to.

In which case, :(

Although it's a fantastic game.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I found a lone Nyko Classic Controller Grip at a Gamestop today. Tagged for $4.99. I've always wanted one so I grabbed it. Rang up for $2.99

I love this fucking thing. Not only is the cable nice and tucked away but the grips might actually make starfox playable. And it adds the perfect amount of weight as well. Now the controller is of comparable weight to a 360 controller.

nyko-classic-controller-grip-20070614041859222-000.jpg

It looks like the Wii mote should fall off harmlessly into the ocean in the third stage of spaceflight.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nintendolife showed a press release where Lucasarts and Nintendo teamed up to bring out Super Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi over the next few weeks.

Plus it said more Lucasarts games are to be announced for VC soon. Please Maniac Mansion! :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited August 2009
    I never enjoyed the Super Star Wars games, but I know that plenty of people did.

Also, I suspect this is the last time I'll be updating this thread since we're close to 100 pages now.

SteevL on
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    These Super NES Star Wars games were pretty good, right? I worry my nostalgia tinted glasses may be fogging up my memories.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Perhaps Super Star Wars was the announcement the LucasArts twitter was referring to.

Still, with LucasArts putting one of their SNES titles on the VC, that opens up the possibility of other LucasArts games that came from the NES, SNES and N64. That's a pretty decent little library if that's the case.
    Zombies Ate My Neighbors anybody? How about Indiana Jones Adventures?

Slagmire on
    edited August 2009
    I was actually playing Super Empire Strikes Back on my SNES last night. I loved them, although the difficulty was cheap beyond words..but they were fun as heck.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    These Super NES Star Wars games were pretty good, right? I worry my nostalgia tinted glasses may be fogging up my memories.

Well, let's just say that there are a ton of better shooter/platformers out there. I personally don't think they've held up very well, though the lightsaber parts in Empire are still pretty good.

You know what you could do? Buy Super Turrican instead. I doubt many people have, and it is a much, much better game overall. It's by Factor-5, who, incidentally, made some pretty great Star Wars games.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited August 2009
    Slagmire wrote: »

Still, with LucasArts putting one of their SNES titles on the VC, that opens up the possibility of other LucasArts games that came from the NES, SNES and N64. That's a pretty decent little library if that's the case.

Rogue Squadron, Star Wars: Episode One Racer, Battle for Naboo, Indiana Jones & the Infernal Machine, Shadows of the Empire.

I'd buy probably all of 'em.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd totally buy Episode One Podracer, but there still hasn't been any movement on third party N64 games.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited August 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »

Well, let's just say that there are a ton of better shooter/platformers out there. I personally don't think they've held up very well, though the lightsaber parts in Empire are still pretty good.

You know what you could do? Buy Super Turrican instead. I doubt many people have, and it is a much, much better game overall. It's by Factor-5, who, incidentally, made some pretty great Star Wars games.

Yes, buy Super Turrican....which is an awesome shooter. It's better than the Star Wars games...but on the other hand the Super Star Wars games are pretty great too if you can get past the cheap difficulty.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

YODA STORIES! :mrgreen:

Just kidding (partially), I'm the most excited about Zombies Ate My Neighbors since that's had an ESRB rating FOREVER and it would be nice to finally see it up there. But I would also love to see Shadows of the Empire, Episode I Racer and Rogue Squadron.

OH WAIT, Metal Warriors! That's one I need to see!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

YODA STORIES! :mrgreen:

Just kidding (partially), I'm the most excited about Zombies Ate My Neighbors since that's had an ESRB rating FOREVER and it would be nice to finally see it up there. But I would also love to see Shadows of the Empire, Episode I Racer and Rogue Squadron.

OH WAIT, Metal Warriors! That's one I need to see!
    I still have my copy of Yoda Stories somewhere. That would be pretty rad on the DS.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I would buy the HELL out of Episode One: Racer

Renzo on
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Renzo wrote: »
    I would buy the HELL out of Episode One: Racer
    That game was great, and in 480p with a smoother framerate it could only get better!
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    I still have my copy of Yoda Stories somewhere. That would be pretty rad on the DS.
    That would be neat, I wonder why they never had a level creator for those "desktop adventures". Might be something nifty they could add in a DS version.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    They need to make a new Pod Racing game so fucking bad. It probably wouldn't sell very well, but I can always dream.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
    edited August 2009
    I am sad this thread made it to page 100 without us getting Dracula X on the VC. :(

SteevL on
    edited August 2009
    I'll say it since noone else has. I'm more sad there was no Earthbound before the 100 pages. :(

So who's making the new thread?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited August 2009
    I need impressions on NyxQuest.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited August 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I'll say it since noone else has. I'm more sad there was no Earthbound before the 100 pages. :(

So who's making the new thread?

Can I make the new thread?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Everytime I see the name "NyxQuest" I think it says "NyQuill"

TheSonicRetard on