As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Ocean 4 - A rant

WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
I mostly opened this thread to bitch because I'm severely disappointed. I bought this game when it first came out for my fiance. Well she only got about an hour into it and kind of forgot about it. Thats fine though, I sometimes do that too.

So I decide to take a crack at it. The battle system seemed really fun at first. Its a bit like Ocarina of Time actually. You can jump back, forward, and in a circle around your targeted enemy. Why was targeted bold? Well I will get to that later my friend. Theres a basic attack that changes depending on the direction/something of the way you are attacking. Theres special attacks etc etc. Theres a bar that fills up when you get hit or do damage that when full you can go into a more powerful mode for a short while. The most fun though is blindsides. When the enemy that is targeting you and you have him targeted, you can do a special move that ends up with you behind them and buffed so all your attacks are criticals for a short while.

However. HOWEVER.

All this depends on who your target is. If someone is targetting you and you are targetting someone else? You cannot blindside them. This wouldn't be a problem if...

You could at all change your target. Thats right. There is no way you can change your target. It doesn't exist. Its entirely random. You can't just attack something that you don't have targeted either; if you hit the attack button while behind a non targeted enemy, you will actually just run over to the guy you do have targeted. This means, instead of stabbing the guy in the back, you might actually completely run around him and across the battle map to attack someone that might be dead when you get there.

Why the FUCK would you make a game where combat has EVERYTHING to do with who your target is and you can't even change your target? The kicker is that the d-pad doesn't even do a goddamn thing!

Wassermelone on

• stfuadstfuad Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is there not an option int the config menu to change the targeting system to manual? 2 and 3 had this option.

stfuad on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    stfuad wrote: »
    Is there not an option int the config menu to change the targeting system to manual? 2 and 3 had this option.

Nope. My fiance who has played the previous games mentioned this. I looked for it and couldn't find it. Knowing how blind to obvious things I can be sometimes, I googled it. A lot of people are complaining about the same thing.

Wassermelone on
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I seem to remember being able to free run -> attack while free running and it would change targets. I could be remembering wrong, though.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Off the top of my head I don't recall what the setting is but there is a way to make it stop targeting what it "thinks" you should target and start targeting what is closest to you.

Not ideal, but it works a lot better.

Also just because I'm an ass, this could have either gone in the SO4 thread, or at least the ToV vs. SO4 thread.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kaseius wrote: »
    I seem to remember being able to free run -> attack while free running and it would change targets. I could be remembering wrong, though.
    Perhaps you're thinking of ToV? I don't recall any way to change targets in SO4 aside from "run up to the enemy and wait patiently for the game to target it for you".

Billmaan on
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Billmaan wrote: »
    Kaseius wrote: »
    Perhaps you're thinking of ToV? I don't recall any way to change targets in SO4 aside from "run up to the enemy and wait patiently for the game to target it for you".

That very well could have been; I considered that and then decided that both of them did it when you do that in the game. I haven't played SO4 since it first came out and I beat it though, so it's been a while.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays