As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MISC] PAXers losing weight for PAX

12345679»

• saintvicioussaintvicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    still dieting for pax
    been eating ALL THE GOOD STUFFFF like almonds etc. Cutting back pastas, white rice, bread, sweeets, meat....
    T.T + 1 hr of exercise a day with pilates etc.

annnd I went from 130 to 120. ten more pounds to gooo.

Thats cutting off alot of foods that are actually very good for you. You will be taking in less carbs maybe but you are cutting high quality protein out of your diet. Pasta and lean meat are amazing for you if you are trying to get into shape. As long as you back it up with proper exercise that is. All the carbs and protein pasta has to offer will be converted into fat if you dont.

As for rice it is a decent source of potassium and once again complex carbs great food for running.

saintvicious on
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    still dieting for pax
    been eating ALL THE GOOD STUFFFF like almonds etc. Cutting back pastas, white rice, bread, sweeets, meat....
    T.T + 1 hr of exercise a day with pilates etc.

annnd I went from 130 to 120. ten more pounds to gooo.

Thats cutting off alot of foods that are actually very good for you. You will be taking in less carbs maybe but you are cutting high quality protein out of your diet. Pasta and lean meat are amazing for you if you are trying to get into shape. As long as you back it up with proper exercise that is. All the carbs and protein pasta has to offer will be converted into fat if you dont.

As for rice it is a decent source of potassium and once again complex carbs great food for running.

I dunno, I've cut a lot of pasta, white rice, and most bread because there are so many better alternatives like brown rice and whole grains.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • saintvicioussaintvicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    http://www.ricegourmet.com/About_RiceNutritional.htm

The difference in rice types are not that large. One thing you have to decide is what type of look you would like as an end result of your fitness plan. Example Angelina Jolie in "Tomb Raider" compared to Angelina Jolie in "Gone in 60 Seconds". One if a more "fit" and in shape look the other is a bit more of a stringy look which may be skinnier but in my opinion looks less healthy. So take in to account do you want that more "fit" look or do you just want to be skinny. If you want the fit look then it will involve taking in those carbs and proteins and performing harder work out routines overall because you need those carbs to fuel your workout. The skinny look heck you can get that just from going on long walks and eating properly.

Also I highly highly reccomend anyone who is on a weight loss regiment to take odorless fish oils and a multivitamin on a daily basis.

saintvicious on
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    http://www.ricegourmet.com/About_RiceNutritional.htm

The difference in rice types are not that large. One thing you have to decide is what type of look you would like as an end result of your fitness plan. Example Angelina Jolie in "Tomb Raider" compared to Angelina Jolie in "Gone in 60 Seconds". One if a more "fit" and in shape look the other is a bit more of a stringy look which may be skinnier but in my opinion looks less healthy. So take in to account do you want that more "fit" look or do you just want to be skinny. If you want the fit look then it will involve taking in those carbs and proteins and performing harder work out routines overall because you need those carbs to fuel your workout. The skinny look heck you can get that just from going on long walks and eating properly.

Also I highly highly reccomend anyone who is on a weight loss regiment to take odorless fish oils and a multivitamin on a daily basis.

This is a videogame forum, of course you would prefer Tomb Raider Jolie! :P

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Bob JackassBob Jackass Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've been watching this thread off and on for a while and was hesitant to post here, only because I dunno what to say. But I think now I have a question. What do you guys do for motivation? About 2 months ago, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and they told me I absolutely have to lose weight, or I run the risk of having life-threatening complications (ie. heart disease, etc.). I spent time with a nutritionist, have a gym membership, and even spent $100 to have a special diabetes menu and shopping list prepared for me. And yet I still find myself too tired to work out on most weeknights (9 hour work day and 2 hour commute), grabbing fast food on the go, and generally duping myself into believing lame excuses not to get out and work out.

So I have all of these factors staring me in the face, and I still have difficulty doing what I know is right. So how do you guys deal with those difficult moments when you're about to fall off the wagon?

It's funny, 10 years ago, in high school, I was the exact opposite: running a mile 3 days a week, lifting for an hour 2 days a week.

Bob Jackass on
    Check out my actual, real life rock band!

Xbox Live - Bob Jackass || Playstation - Cosby__Sweater || Steam - Bob Jackass

Twitter
  • JDDMichaelJDDMichael Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So how do you guys deal with those difficult moments when you're about to fall off the wagon?

Honestly? To a point I let it happen. For me, the changes I am after are very much a long term journey, and I know I am going to fall along the way. Ultimately I still try, and embrace the successes I have. The dietary part of it all has actually been my most successful aspect, as I basically eat the same things every single day, so I don't have to think about it at all (something I highly suggest because the automatic nature of it simplifies meals quite a bit). I indulge teriyaki once a week, and have a bad habit of spooning peanutbutter into my mouth when the mood hits me, but aside from that I am fairly solid on the diet. If Red Robin happens once or twice a month, no big deal.

It helps that by eating right I have found myself eating all day long. I certainly don't feel like I am deprived. A week or two without the sugary treats and I stopped craving them entirely.

My daily meals are pretty much:

Breakfast:
    2 egg whites and one whole egg scrambled
    1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese
    1/2 cup of applesauce
    Omega 3 - 6 - 9 suppliment (eat fat to lose fat, just get the right fats)

Mid morning snack:
    "Vanilla" protein shake
    Banana

Lunch:
    Tuna
    2 tabelspoons of mayo
    Sprouted wheat bread (a little dry, but good)

After lunch snack:
    Celery
    Baby carrots
    raw broccoli
    Fat free ranch dip

Late afternoon snack:
    Orange

Dinner:
    Chicken breast
    Salad or rice and lentils

Exercise has been the trickier part, and something I waffle with week to week. My cardio hasn't happened in two weeks because I refused to run in 90+ degree temps. The weight lifting has seen good weeks and bad weeks, but when you look at the larger picture I'm doing well. I try to lift 3 days a week, but if I do 2 or even 1 on any given week I just view it through the lens of "it is what it is". I have a weight bench and weights I bought for about $200 total on Craigslist. It is sitting in my livingroom, 4 feet from my computer. If I had to go to the gym I wouldn't... This eliminates that aspect of my laziness. Eventually I'll need to hit the gym, but for the moment this is getting me well on my way.

I lost about 20 - 30 pounds just by changing how I eat. The exercise help me drop almost 20 pounds more of body fat and gain about 10 pounds of muscle, all since February of this year.

Some people operate really well under a rigid militaristic approach to their fitness... Others, like me, need to embrace our capacity for failure and just not allow it to derail the overall goal. Two steps forward and one step back is still progress. It isn't QUICK progress, but that is okay.

As for your first question, about what I use for motivation?

My basic answer is that I want this more than I want the alternative, at least 75% of the time. It would be nice if I was 100%, but I'll take what I can get.

The long answer is that I have looked back on 36 years of life and realized that if I don't make a change I am going to die a liar. There are certain goals I have for myself that, because of what they are, have an inherent time limit associated with them. My clock is ticking, and I've already burned a lot of time.

I had to face the very real question of whether or not I am just completely full of crap. A boisterous braggart who talks big but never follows through... And the truth is I don't actually know. Until I have DONE, I am still just in a state of "going to do". And if I never do, then yes... I am completely full of crap. The only defense against that conclusion is to act. Otherwise I am a liar who will die with a lifetime of "plans" and far fewer accomplishments. I don't want to reach my end of days with an album full of "could have". I want to reach it with an album full of "did".

For me... That is a hell of a motivator.

JDDMichael on
    edited August 2009
    That is a good motivator. I've thought the same thing and totally agree. I don't want to be the guy that had the dreams but not the will. I like your outlook, though. Progress is progress, even if it's slow. It's better than nothing. I'm just an impatient person, and I'm trying to change several years of bad habits in the course of a few weeks.

Thanks for the tips. I am happy to say that I saw a nutritionist last week and started my diabetic menu this week and have lost 4 lbs. already. I'd like to lose 20-25 by PAX, but I don't know. I'll be happy with 10 or 15.

Bob Jackass on

Twitter
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That is a good motivator. I've thought the same thing and totally agree. I don't want to be the guy that had the dreams but not the will. I like your outlook, though. Progress is progress, even if it's slow. It's better than nothing. I'm just an impatient person, and I'm trying to change several years of bad habits in the course of a few weeks.

Thanks for the tips. I am happy to say that I saw a nutritionist last week and started my diabetic menu this week and have lost 4 lbs. already. I'd like to lose 20-25 by PAX, but I don't know. I'll be happy with 10 or 15.

I think the trick is just finding something active that you enjoy doing and just integrate it into your life on a daily basis. Walks after dinner? Cycling? Swimming? Rollerblading? Taking a class at a gym seems to help me because it puts you on a set schedule and you have many people there to support you. Find a gym buddy. If you want to make a huge change in body it requires a huge change in lifestyle but if you are fine with slow changes and want to start off nice and easy then than it's the way to do it. Even if you go to the gym and walk on the treadmill or do some light excercise at home, it's better than nothing. You have to want this.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • YamaraYamara Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have found that tracking my food has made it much easier to lose a few pounds. I don't like eating the same thing every day, and my work place makes it hard by always bringing very tempting treats. Tracking food on my phone (or just in a small notebook) has made me more aware of when I splurge and how often, making me reduce how often it happens or by how much.

On that note, in the last 40 days since I last weighed myself, I dropped past my goal weight (which was a bit arbitrarily set). I just wanted to lose a bit of mid-section squish. However, I've been told I look taller now. Time for me to set a new goal. :)

Yamara on
    We want strategy board game testers! Check out Paiko's Indie Game thread.
    edited August 2009
    Congrats. I've always found the compliments to be a great motivator. I don't necessarily see a change, but when people say "hey, you look like you've lost some weight" I know I'm making a dent.

Bob Jackass on

Twitter
  • lilibatlilibat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Maybe you should try and get some exercise at home so you don't have to leave again to workout. You can do a lot with simple or no equipment and anything is better than nothing. Hell, even the wii fit is something to get you started. If you start working out regularly you will have more energy for everything, same goes with losing weight.

For eating better, plan to make stuff you can make ahead of time on the weekend so during the week when you get home you just pop it in the microwave. This also goes for healthy grab and go breakfasts and lunches. There are plenty of more healthy food that is convenient, including steam in bag frozen veggies.

lilibat on
    ~ lilibat
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've been using the "Cult of Done" meme that went around a few months back as a decent motivator. I just remind myself I don't have to do everything perfect. Going to the gym and working out is enough, and if I get the whole workout done, fine- but I'm going there and going to start and that's enough. Most of the time I wind up doing more than the workout, but until I actually get there I start waffling because what if... blahblahblah.
    Same with diet. If I eat something really terrible for me, I give myself a moment of guilt, then forgive it and get on with my life. If I didn't, I'd beat myself up for it forever and that feeling would just intensify the urge to self-destruct. So I just recognize it probably wasn't wise and forget about it. Believe it or not, this slacker motivation has actually been working really well for me.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • dskaitlyndskaitlyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, as an update, I've lost 40 pounds so far. Not so bad with a month left to go. My focus has drifted off a little bit as I'm currently attempting to finish a novel for a contest (deadline Dec. 2nd, gulp) and as someone mentioned earlier for some reason July was just crazy hard to lose weight.

I'm glad you all are here. It's great to see other people joining in or being supportive. Lets make the final month before PAX a good one!

dskaitlyn on
    "You know, you're a classic example of the inverse ratio between the size of the mouth and the size of the brain."
  • sum10fishysum10fishy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    dskaitlyn wrote: »
    Well, as an update, I've lost 40 pounds so far. Not so bad with a month left to go. My focus has drifted off a little bit as I'm currently attempting to finish a novel for a contest (deadline Dec. 2nd, gulp) and as someone mentioned earlier for some reason July was just crazy hard to lose weight.

I'm glad you all are here. It's great to see other people joining in or being supportive. Lets make the final month before PAX a good one!

Holy Crap! Way to go.

sum10fishy on
  • trickycooljtrickycoolj Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Long time lurker first time poster....

Anywho, eye_shuh told me to scope out this thread when I mentioned to her that I'm trying to keep tabs on my fluff before I take a family vacation to Hawaii for Christmas. At this point, any progress made pre-PAX is just a bonus!

I started using the app Lose It! on my iPhone to track every last bite of food I was eating in a day and to set a calorie goal for each day to help me achieve my goal weight. It sure was an eye opener to see how much I snacked in the evening. I definitely started to stop short of that extra cookie or ice cream treat after dinner when I realized I'd have to look it up in the app and calculate the calories and add it to my list. I noticed after a few weeks I lost 3 pounds give or take a bit... those darn hormones and water retention!

I saw a few folks in here mention experiences with EA Sports Active and Golds Gym on Wii. I've done the Wii Fit thing (even convinced my mom to get a wii too) but the main annoyance is that it's very time consuming to get back and forth in the menus and get an entire workout. Next thing you know, an hour has gone by and you've done maybe 3 strength moves with all the in between loading/explaining/good-job'ing. Having luck with these other not-Wii Fit's? Easier to stick with?

I was maybe considering DDR too, I'm pretty horrible at it but that might give me the motivation to try every day until I don't suck at it. Though being in a 2nd floor apartment might not make that the best of choices...

Every so often I fire up a workout video from Netflix on the 360. Nothing like browsing my queue with friends and seeing Cardio Power Hour! flash up on screen... :oops:

I'm horrid at sticking to gyms and trying to fit them in my schedule. I'd love to find a fun at home solution for the next little while. Plus waaaay cheaper than monthly fees to someplace I don't really want to go to!

trickycoolj on
This discussion has been closed.