As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Tabletop Tournaments

2»

• SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    sweett, looks like there's moderate interest in this...
    I'm sure with all the people at PAX we'll be able to pick some more players at the event, but we should 'officialize' this and get a sign up thing going...
    i think the last set i played with was Shards of alaara or whatever

Hmmm, relatively new to magic so not sure what 'exactly' you mean but I'm pretty sure the newest set is called 'm10' or 'magic 2010'.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • ErasmusErasmus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Serenity wrote: »
    I'm sure with all the people at PAX we'll be able to pick some more players at the event, but we should 'officialize' this and get a sign up thing going...

Hmmm, relatively new to magic so not sure what 'exactly' you mean but I'm pretty sure the newest set is called 'm10' or 'magic 2010'.

Depends on what format, but in standard the last core edition (tenth) is out and m10 is in. Shards of alara is still good.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Resources.aspx?x=judge/resources/sfrstandard

Erasmus on
  • BozkoBozko Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Erasmus wrote: »
    Serenity wrote: »

Depends on what format, but in standard the last core edition (tenth) is out and m10 is in. Shards of alara is still good.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/TCG/Resources.aspx?x=judge/resources/sfrstandard

cool so my White Weeny deck is still good :P hopefully it can stand up to some of the new stuff

Bozko on
    R.O.A.C.H. 's Aluminum Chef~
    SUPER VILLAINS UNITE!
    JOIN R.O.A.C.H. Today!
    The Destructive Kitchen
    R.O.A.C.H. Home Page
  • Brex123Brex123 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Bozko wrote: »
    cool so my White Weeny deck is still good :P hopefully it can stand up to some of the new stuff

I am lucky too, as some of my favorite Lorwyn cards are still usable for PAX. Shimmering Grotto and Fertile Ground FTW.

Brex123 on
    edited August 2009
    Brex123 wrote: »

I am lucky too, as some of my favorite Lorwyn cards are still usable for PAX. Shimmering Grotto and Fertile Ground FTW.

lol ya Shimmering Grotto. Mutavault was pretty sweet :P

Bozko on
    SUPER VILLAINS UNITE!
    JOIN R.O.A.C.H. Today!
    The Destructive Kitchen
    R.O.A.C.H. Home Page
  • geeeeoffffgeeeeoffff Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i've been told this is probably a better place to ask than the general faq.

does anyone have any specifics about the wotc run magic tournaments? like when? cost? etc?

specifically i'm interested in a tourney where you pay a fee, get a deck and booster and play with that. I haven't been maintaining a good deck.

geeeeoffff on
    GD on paforums
    edited August 2009

Interesting you should say that because in my experience, the alara booster packs have all been better than the m10 packs I've gotten. Better cards IMO.
    My bro just bought 2 alara packs and got a windwalker soldier in each pack! How lucky is that?!

geeeeoffff wrote: »
    i've been told this is probably a better place to ask than the general faq.

does anyone have any specifics about the wotc run magic tournaments? like when? cost? etc?

specifically i'm interested in a tourney where you pay a fee, get a deck and booster and play with that. I haven't been maintaining a good deck.

Not too sure about the wotc run magic tourneys... this is more a discussion thread about community run events (mentioned below, that's ok I didn't know when I first posted here either)

However, Brex and I are trying to put together a community run magic draft like what you're talking about.
    We just need to see enough interest and make sure it's ok to be charging people to enter the tournament (we won't profit from it, it's just to go towards buying the decks and booster packs)

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm just going to throw this out there and see if it sticks, don't yell at me for this post! Has anyone tried/considered the video game based board games at all? I say this because I've seen the WoW and Starcraft ones as well as a Halo strategy game that I've seen in a shop window on my way to work this morning. Are they worth anyone's time or, as I suspect, are they utter tripe?

Also, are old Games Workshop games being played at all? You know; Talisman, Blood Bowl, Warrior Knights etc?

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've heard good things about the Doom game. I've not played any of em though.

And I'm going to try to bring my copy of HeroQuest, which is sort of a GW game.

SlickShughes on
    edited August 2009
    How about the WoW: TCG anyone know if this is going on? ive got tons of cards just sitting around and dont know how to play anyone up to teaching/playing a few games?

Bozko on
    SUPER VILLAINS UNITE!
    JOIN R.O.A.C.H. Today!
    The Destructive Kitchen
    R.O.A.C.H. Home Page
  • jettmorrisonjettmorrison Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is anyone familiar with Descent?

jettmorrison on
  • Weenog42Weenog42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've played Descent 4 or 5 times. You can't really run a tournament for it, however. Like Hero Quest, it's a cooperative game versus one player. It's Hero Quest on steroids, essentially. It has all the normal signatures of a Fantasy Flights game: rules-heavy, lots of pretty components.

My competitive game of choice atm - Race for the Galaxy.

Weenog42 on
  • PucSpifoPucSpifo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    How about the WoW: TCG anyone know if this is going on? ive got tons of cards just sitting around and dont know how to play anyone up to teaching/playing a few games?

Upper Deck will be hosting their own events all weekend, so that is the place to go for WOW CCG.

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
    edited August 2009
    PucSpifo wrote: »

Upper Deck will be hosting their own events all weekend, so that is the place to go for WOW CCG.

cool thanks :D

on a side note, anyone interested in playing pokemon/magic to get ready for the tourneys skype me so we can play via intrawebs to get ready :3

leeroy.jenkinz89

Bozko on
    SUPER VILLAINS UNITE!
    JOIN R.O.A.C.H. Today!
    The Destructive Kitchen
    R.O.A.C.H. Home Page
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Question:

How exactly will the Munchkin tournament work? Will it be multiple table or something? And how long would that take? I know that a 5 person game of regular Munchkin can take like 3 hours.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    EDIT: Whoops meant to post in Tabletop thread not Tabletop Tourney

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    By the way, have we discovered or has it been revealed where the tabletop stuff is happening this year? Is the annex construction finished, or is it moved somewhere else? I haven't seen mention of that yet.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
    edited August 2009
    Arco wrote: »
    Question:

How exactly will the Munchkin tournament work? Will it be multiple table or something? And how long would that take? I know that a 5 person game of regular Munchkin can take like 3 hours.

Depending on sign ups we'll have anywhere from four to eight players per table in the first round, then the winners from there will move to the final round. If needed, we can have a semi-final, assuming we have a large enough pool of players.
    Arco wrote: »
    By the way, have we discovered or has it been revealed where the tabletop stuff is happening this year? Is the annex construction finished, or is it moved somewhere else? I haven't seen mention of that yet.
    S2000Gan wrote: »

Table top will be on floors two and three of the convention center, and pretty much all of those floors will be ours.

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • Prof. PanglossProf. Pangloss Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Looking forward to Magic and We Didn't Playtest This At All, of course. But I'll also be bringing my homemade Icehouse pieces for some Treehouse, Zendo, and whatever other games I can figure out how to play until then. I'd be more than happy to run a Zendo tourny.

Prof. Pangloss on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Would there by any interest in a Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 or d20 Modern Tournament?

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • treyh37treyh37 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ok I've tenatively scheduled a pokemon tournament at PAX on friday sept 4
    signup time 3:45 pm
    start time 4:15 pm

event info here
    http://www.op.pokemon-tcg.com/tournaments/details.asp?tournament_id=909000046

treyh37 on
    later
    trey
    edited August 2009
    treyh37 wrote: »
    ok I've tenatively scheduled a pokemon tournament at PAX on friday sept 4
    signup time 3:45 pm
    start time 4:15 pm

event info here
    http://www.op.pokemon-tcg.com/tournaments/details.asp?tournament_id=909000046

I'll be there :3

Bozko on
    SUPER VILLAINS UNITE!
    JOIN R.O.A.C.H. Today!
    The Destructive Kitchen
    R.O.A.C.H. Home Page
  • CadynCadyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've heard good things about the Doom game. I've not played any of em though.

And I'm going to try to bring my copy of HeroQuest, which is sort of a GW game.

SlickShughes, you are my hero! I love HeroQuest!

Cadyn on
  • PhoricPhoric Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What about straight up board games? If I bring like, Ticket to Ride, per se, would I be able to find people to join me in a game, and maybe even put together a tourney of 16-25 players? It might be a good release from all those hardcore Magic tourneys.

Phoric on
    [Generic Witty Comment]
    edited August 2009
    i just rebuilt my deck and i was talking to a friend who told me not to draft if i havent done it in a while. ^^;

is there anymore info on the Magic Tourneys? im to lazy to lurk atm P:

Bozko on
    SUPER VILLAINS UNITE!
    JOIN R.O.A.C.H. Today!
    The Destructive Kitchen
    R.O.A.C.H. Home Page
    edited August 2009
    do we have any schedule of all the TCG tourneys/ rooms yet?

magic, pokemon, wow tcg, etc.

Bozko on
    SUPER VILLAINS UNITE!
    JOIN R.O.A.C.H. Today!
    The Destructive Kitchen
    R.O.A.C.H. Home Page
    edited August 2009
    Phoric wrote: »
    What about straight up board games? If I bring like, Ticket to Ride, per se, would I be able to find people to join me in a game, and maybe even put together a tourney of 16-25 players? It might be a good release from all those hardcore Magic tourneys.

I highly encourage this! We have table space set up just to play ANY game you want. In fact, if you want to bring a sign-up sheet to TT HQ we can post that and try to drum up more players for you.

That being said, I have a sad announcement/retraction to make. PAX will not be able to award any prizes for community run tournaments this year. Official PAX tournaments will still have awards, and our vendors will certainly have their own prizes for their events, so I encourage everyone to try to make it to the officially sanctioned events if you want fabulous prizes.

Everyone is still welcome to run their own tournaments and events, and we'll do everything we can to announce your events and let you post sign up sheets.

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
    edited August 2009
    PucSpifo wrote: »
    Phoric wrote: »

I highly encourage this! We have table space set up just to play ANY game you want. In fact, if you want to bring a sign-up sheet to TT HQ we can post that and try to drum up more players for you.

That being said, I have a sad announcement/retraction to make. PAX will not be able to award any prizes for community run tournaments this year. Official PAX tournaments will still have awards, and our vendors will certainly have their own prizes for their events, so I encourage everyone to try to make it to the officially sanctioned events if you want fabulous prizes.

Everyone is still welcome to run their own tournaments and events, and we'll do everything we can to announce your events and let you post sign up sheets.

ill help with prizes for the Magic/Pokemon tourneys. couple boosters wont kill me

Bozko on
    SUPER VILLAINS UNITE!
    JOIN R.O.A.C.H. Today!
    The Destructive Kitchen
    R.O.A.C.H. Home Page
  • SallustSallust Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    How about any VOR: The Maelstrom players or Anima: Tactics?

Sallust on
  • ThreeveThreeve Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This will be my 1st time at PAX and I'm interested in some casual tabletop gaming. Are the games provided by the staff or volunteers? Should I bring my own? I haven't been able to find many details about what is and is not provided. Same for the console stuff. Thanks for your help.

Threeve on
  • CadynCadyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Threeve wrote: »
    This will be my 1st time at PAX and I'm interested in some casual tabletop gaming. Are the games provided by the staff or volunteers? Should I bring my own? I haven't been able to find many details about what is and is not provided. Same for the console stuff. Thanks for your help.

At PAX '08, there was a room in the Tabletop Gaming area with a large amount of board/tabletop games available for checkout and freeplay. I really was wow'd by the breadth of selection, and the volunteers there were very nice.

Cadyn on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cadyn wrote: »
    Threeve wrote: »

At PAX '08, there was a room in the Tabletop Gaming area with a large amount of board/tabletop games available for checkout and freeplay. I really was wow'd by the breadth of selection, and the volunteers there were very nice.

It was intimidating, really. I couldn't find time to fit it in last year, but this time around I hope to get in some Caylus or LeHarve if I can find time/semi-experienced players so I can learn those without dropping 50+ bucks on them.

SlickShughes on
    edited August 2009
    well seems our little MTG tournament is going to be pointless seeing as WotC has posted their official list...

http://www.cascadegames.com/events/785

There's the link...
    Yeah... booster tourney starting every 2 hours... woot woot!

Sorry, Brex... I still wanna scrim with some people though.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If anyone is interested in a free, casual ravnica block draft (rav era combat rules and I keep the cards) please PM me your emails,aims and or SSNs so I can get it set up. I already have one confirmed, just need 6 more.

Drakmathus on
  • ReverendJynxedReverendJynxed Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Would there by any interest in a Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 or d20 Modern Tournament?

I'd be up for 3.5. Hell, I'll go back to my precious white books if anyone feels really nostalgic. Pretty much any system up until 3.5.

ReverendJynxed on
  • TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Horay for the return of the Puerto Rico tournament. That shit was off the chain last year.

TrainwreckX on
  • KrogueKrogue Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    There are a couple of us interested in the Puerto Rico Tournament. I can not find the information however about how to register for the tournaments.

Is there a pre-registration site, or do we just go to the tabletop area any time before the tournament to register?

Thanks.

Krogue on
This discussion has been closed.