As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A [Chat] Between Hitler and Anne Frank

• SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    Someone explain to an idiot: this mini display to DVI adapter only transmits digital signals, not analog signals. What does that mean, practically? If I'm using an analog tuner to capture TV stations, that picture won't be forwarded to the monitor?

i dunno if i'm qualified to help lol u need a apple genius lol

But they're all so handsome and intimidating!

Really though last time I was at an Apple Store (Ardmore, PA) I had a question about ME language keyboards on the iPhone.

This 6'4" adonis who could be an action star and probably makes $8-9 per hour just Googled up the answer.

Man.

Never asking any of them anything ever again.
    I dunno man that makes them look like a genius next to the best buy flunkies who would just straight up lie to you

Senjutsu on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Someone explain to an idiot: this mini display to DVI adapter only transmits digital signals, not analog signals. What does that mean, practically? If I'm using an analog tuner to capture TV stations, that picture won't be forwarded to the monitor?

i dunno if i'm qualified to help lol u need a apple genius lol

But they're all so handsome and intimidating!

Really though last time I was at an Apple Store (Ardmore, PA) I had a question about ME language keyboards on the iPhone.

This 6'4" adonis who could be an action star and probably makes $8-9 per hour just Googled up the answer.

Man.

Never asking any of them anything ever again.

Ask the Mac guy at your local library. There'll definitely be a Mac guy there. Or lady.

moniker on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Without more information the answer would be: it would work fine, the signal is eventually turned into a digital signal when it leaves whatever device the analog tuner is installed inside of. What devices are you using specifically?

Sarksus on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Taco nite!

Om nom nom nom.

Quid on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    i've never had a driver's licence

and i've driven a car on only a handful of occasions

illegally, obviously

not allowed to get a license, haven't since i was like 18

annoying

Medically barred? Because, I mean, they let Ceaser drive a chariot.

yep

i was diagnosed with ASPD when i was 17, and they don't let you drive if you have that, bastards

i let that diagnosis stand for years

then last year i challenged it and got it thrown out

so i could get a license then, yay!

then before i got the chance, two months later i had a stroke

and now i have seizures and psychotic episodes so i am not allowed to drive again

quite annoyed.

Pony on
    edited August 2009
    I mean are you talking about your MacBook Organichu? Or a TV? Or what?

If you have an analog tuner working with your MacBook it would give the analog signal to your MacBook and by the time it leaves the MacBook for the monitor through the adapter it's already a digital signal.

Sarksus on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    so, i just got a call

my girlfriend was in a car accident

she's okay

but jesus fucking christ

today is not a great day

first the apartment we applied for doesn't call us, leaving us hanging over whether we got it or not (looking like we didn't) and now this

could use a hug right about now
    heartpup.jpg

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    so, i just got a call

my girlfriend was in a car accident

she's okay

but jesus fucking christ

today is not a great day

first the apartment we applied for doesn't call us, leaving us hanging over whether we got it or not (looking like we didn't) and now this

could use a hug right about now
    heartpup.jpg

druhim you are a treasure

thank you

Pony on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I'm watching Next, and the acting and dialog is not so great.

I've seen the actors do much better in other things too. Ugh.

mrflippy on
    edited August 2009

illegally, obviously

annoying

yep

i was diagnosed with ASPD when i was 17, and they don't let you drive if you have that, bastards

and now i have seizures and psychotic episodes so i am not allowed to drive again

quite annoyed.

That sucks. I mean, even if you never drive its nice to have a license just to have one. I mean, there's State ID and all, but it looks kinda funny when everyone's just expecting you to have a license.

moniker on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009

It'll work. If your analog tuner displays the TV channels on your screen, when you hook up an external monitor to the mini display port, it'll display just fine. The analog tuner converts the signals to a digital format anyway.

Premier kakos on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've been living in Illinois for 3 years now and still haven't gotten an Illinois license. I'd just gotten my NC license renewed before I moved, it doesn't expire until next March.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    bored bored bored

Trine is really fun.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2009

illegally, obviously

annoying

yep

quite annoyed.

That sucks. I mean, even if you never drive its nice to have a license just to have one. I mean, there's State ID and all, but it looks kinda funny when everyone's just expecting you to have a license.

you have no idea (unless you're in a similar spot, in which case you do)

seriously

every place assumes i have a driver's license. i actually don't have any photo ID of any sort. my provincial health card has my picture and age and shit on it, but for some fucking reason or another places don't take that as ID.

i could get an Age of Majority card which would function for some things (buying booze and getting into nightclubs mostly) but i do those things so infrequently and even rarer do i have a hassle over it (generally i am not carded for things) that i can't justify the cost.

so

there you go

Pony on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    Ok then I guess I don't understand. I'm looking at reviews of this piece (the mindisplay port to DVI adapter) for my MacBook (looking to connect to a 24" monitor) and the reviewers almost all make a point to mention that it only transmits digital- and not analog- signals.

If it's leaving my computer, isn't it a digital signal anyway? My analog cable box doesn't have a minidisplay port.

I guess I don't understand.

Organichu on
    edited August 2009
    I've been living in Illinois for 3 years now and still haven't gotten an Illinois license. I'd just gotten my NC license renewed before I moved, it doesn't expire until next March.

I thought you were supposed to renew it if you moved.

mrflippy on
    edited August 2009
    Ok then I guess I don't understand. I'm looking at reviews of this piece (the mindisplay port to DVI adapter) for my MacBook (looking to connect to a 24" monitor) and the reviewers almost all make a point to mention that it only transmits digital- and not analog- signals.

If it's leaving my computer, isn't it a digital signal anyway? My analog cable box doesn't have a minidisplay port.

The analog tuner is going into your MacBook right? By the time it leaves your MacBook it's a digital signal because it can't leave through the mini-display port any other way.

Sarksus on
    edited August 2009
    Well I don't even have a TV tuner. I'm just curious about what the reviewers are even referring to. If this piece is used to connect a MacBook to something with a DVI input... where does "it doesn't transmit analog" factor in as a negative?

Organichu on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    Your forum name is pretty cool, though.

But a pain to type when I want to log in. And it might give someone the mistaken impression that I'm some sort of drug using hedonist.

...you're not?

god i feel so alone

I got the impression from all your trainwreck stories that you were on the straight & narrow anyway.

sssssorta

i am in a dedicated monogamous relationship so the sexual hedonism is gone from my life and has been for a few years now

i still do hallucinogens now and again. LSD, a bit of mescaline, some salvia, i have a bit of virola squirreled away for a special occasion. about once a month or so i go over to my brother's place and do a bunch of shrooms and watch movies

i do hallucinogens about two or three times a month, on average?

thereabouts.

I never much cared for salvia. I haven't done much of anything besides my beloved herb for some time. Dropped lucy once last year, but since '07 when certain events made me toss out my pre-paid phone that had all my connections' numbers I've not really had the opportunity or honestly desire to pursue much of anything else. I'd maybe try mescaline or dmt if available, but I don't feel much up for engaging in an extraction and I wouldn't have a place to do so anyway. Not to mention cactus tea is supposed to taste remarkably horrific, and the price of the cactus makes lucy a more viable alternative.

TL DR on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Pretty sure it has more to do with what you are plugging it into.

Like you can't do minidisplay>dvi>vga because there is no analog signal. You can normally do DVI>VGA because DVI has both signals(if it is not coming from minidisplay).

or I'm totally talking out my ass.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    i am in a dedicated monogamous relationship so the sexual hedonism is gone from my life and has been for a few years no.
    didn't you cheat on your ex-fiancée with your current girlfriend?

Dynagrip on
    edited August 2009
    Well I don't even have a TV tuner. I'm just curious about what the reviewers are even referring to. If this piece is used to connect a MacBook to something with a DVI input... where does "it doesn't transmit analog" factor in as a negative?

Some DVI ports also pass along the analog signal. This allows you to use a DVI->DSUB adapter. I think DVI ports without the analog part won't work with the adapter, so you couldn't hook monitors up with an analog input.

mrflippy on
    edited August 2009
    Why wouldn't those people just buy a minidisplay > VGA adapter? They're the same price.

Organichu on
    edited August 2009
    Hm I feel like i'm missing something. . .

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2009
    i am very fortunate to have a virola hook-up

it will actually be more convenient once i move to Toronto, since that's where he's at

LSD is fun and all and, like shrooms, costs me dick all (i can sometimes even get it for free if i am willing to make some phone calls) but virola is way, way better

all the fun of DMT but without the horrible purging of ayahusca

hooray!

the trainwreck stories i've posted on here presents a way shittier picture of my usage of psychotropics

for every terrible story of eating lard or clawing my skin there's tons of instances where i just have a great time

so whatever

Pony on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2009
    I got the Closet, Dead Tired, Man Bites Dog, Taxi Driver, and Downfall.

The first two were random.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Why wouldn't those people just buy a minidisplay > VGA adapter? They're the same price.

Yeah if they're complaining about a digital adapter not transmitting an analog signal then they're full of nonsense. Either that or they are merely warning other people who might not know much about how the adapter works and are trying to prevent them from buying something they can't use.

Sarksus on
    edited August 2009
    I haven't had a [chat] in a long time. I think i have a goal for tonight.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

because they already have DVI > VGA adapters(they came with most things with DVI ports), and they think it would be better to have the ability to do minidisplay, DVI and VGA.

The warning is because that won't actually work.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    edited August 2009

There are two different types of DVI: DVI-Digital and DVI-Analog. What you really have to worry about is if your monitor supports DVI-D, which it probably does, but some older ones don't.

Premier kakos on
    edited August 2009

it will actually be more convenient once i move to Toronto, since that's where he's at

LSD is fun and all and, like shrooms, costs me dick all (i can sometimes even get it for free if i am willing to make some phone calls) but virola is way, way better

hooray!

the trainwreck stories i've posted on here presents a way shittier picture of my usage of psychotropics

for every terrible story of eating lard or clawing my skin there's tons of instances where i just have a great time

so whatever

Generally when I find something makes me eat lard or claw my skin I stop doing that thing.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2009
    I have to say... I, for one, am glad that Pony can never drive a car.

Premier kakos on
    edited August 2009
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    i am in a dedicated monogamous relationship so the sexual hedonism is gone from my life and has been for a few years no.
    didn't you cheat on your ex-fiancée with your current girlfriend?

from a technical standpoint, yes

it's complicated

technically, me and my ex-fiancee were not officially broken up when i pursued things with the girl i am with now

however, we'd been sleeping in seperate rooms for months. there was no intimacy in our relationship, physical or emotional. we didn't spend time together, we didn't speak to each other except for greeting each other or saying bye

and even that stopped in the couple of months leading up to this

i once asked her, point blank, if she was still in love with me and her answer was she didn't know

our relationship was over in basically every way but name

and then she fucked off to france for a month without me, even though it was something we had planned to do together. i wasn't able to pull it off financially, whereas her parents paid for her end, so she left without me.

so it was basically over, we just hadn't said the words to end it

which is what i did as soon as she got back from france, i told her the truth about what i did and how it was over, etc.

it was okay for a while and then she had a nervous breakdown

that's life for you, i guess.

Pony on
    edited August 2009
    Elki wrote: »

I need to finish watching the House of Cards trilogy.

moniker on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

hooray!

so whatever

Generally when I find something makes me eat lard or claw my skin I stop doing that thing.

I have just had great times without the lard or skin thing.

Nocturne on
    edited August 2009
    I have to say... I, for one, am glad that Pony can never drive a car.

haters gonna hate

seriously

kakos you be hatin so much

what did i do to you, son

Pony on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2009
    Elki wrote: »

I need to finish watching the House of Cards trilogy.

Never heard of it.

?

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Ron Livingston is the greatest. All punchin' out dudes.

Sarksus on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

hooray!

so whatever

Really? From you DUE?

REALLY?

Ludious on
    edited August 2009
    That sucks. I mean, even if you never drive its nice to have a license just to have one. Sure, there's State ID and all, but it looks kinda funny when everyone's just expecting you to have a license.

you have no idea (unless you're in a similar spot, in which case you do)

Nope, however I do have the interesting circumstance of wearing glasses in my picture, but not having the 'vision' impairment marked on my license since I didn't get them until I was 17. That might change in a couple years when I need to get it renewed, though it didn't when I turned 21.

moniker on
This discussion has been closed.