As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Critique my Webcomic Please.

haintedhainted Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Artist's Corner
Today marked 1 month since I started Hainted Holler on Drunk Duck and while my numbers are slowly going up(I average 50 views a day)I was wondering what people think about it.I'm not looking to ever be anything like PA,I don't think I could achieve it,but I would like some feedback please.It's just a hobby but I do want to give the best I can to it.
Note:I'm trying to customize the look of the page and haven't had time this week between work and family commitments so it's currently a work in progress.If I knew more about coding I could already be done but,I'm not going to complain.

http://www.drunkduck.com/Hainted_Holler/

hainted on

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2009
    You need to post some art in the thread, otherwise you appear to be driving traffic towards your site

Tube on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Post specific art for critique, please.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey, welcome back. Remember to post strips in the thread, not a link. It will help with criticism because everyone is looking at the same piece.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I do that How?

hainted on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    index.php?p=583043

hainted on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    What you want is this:

8cedcdeadffc11f12b8b3e7346171e0e.jpg

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong(!@#$%;*$# interweb).I'm older than either of these guys and last time I took a computer course the screens resolution came in 2 colors.Green and darker Green.Until I bought this one the last computer I owned came from Radio Shack and saved data on cassette tapes(Look them up kids).So in other words forget it.

hainted on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thanks.By the way love the I.T. Crowd banner.

hainted on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    How old are you?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I had an Atari 2600,when they were new.I remember the launch of MTV and I saw Star Wars:A New Hope and Superman the Movie in Theaters.So calculate from that.

hainted on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    14 with a retro-fetish?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    My God You're Right.What am I thinking now?

hainted on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Alright, this thread is tanking.

Your comic, it's not that good. How long have you been drawing? The minimalistic art could work well, but right now the faces are too symbolic and off-model to really warrant any sort of human connection.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I've been drawing off and on my whole life,but I have no training.I do these on copier paper,with a Sharpie,a Bic Pen,and an old Paperback book to get a straight edge,at work, in between loading trucks.And If you've seen some of the American independent comics people actually PAY FOR and the artwork in them(Done by art school grads)I'm fairly decent
    Maybe it was wrong of me to use the Thor joke on a board frequented by Denmark-ians.

hainted on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Haha, I don't think anybody would be offended by that. I did go to your site and my comment was basically based on the general art and style. I'm not sure it's working that well for you. Some of them are clear enough, but they come off as sloppy.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    hainted wrote: »
    I had an Atari 2600,when they were new.I remember the launch of MTV and I saw Star Wars:A New Hope and Superman the Movie in Theaters.So calculate from that.

Well, you're not really giving me much to work with, my parents did all those things and they're 56. For the sake of argument I'll just assume you're 56.

I always look at things from an advertising point of view; if it doesn't grab you immediately it's not good. Your comic and page.... they're no good. Sorry, I don't mean to be blunt. The panels look so boring, the characters are just standing there looking like a 2D side scroller.

Take this comic for example:

cd18256a27ecd1d3ac59e75ce32b20ef.jpg

You could have done some interesting angles when the biscuit hits the woman, or in the next panel when the guy bends over to pick up the biscuit, it could have been a low angle from the biscuits point of view looking upwards to the couple.... but no. It's the same poses, same angle every time.

The problem here is also reflected in your web page's layout: Lack of planning. Think about what you want, but then push yourself to take it one step further. Ask yourself, how does it look? Is this the best layout for my strip/web graphics? Is my user able to navigate easily? Will this dialogue and art grab my reader's attention?

My advice to you is to push yourself. Keep drawing and designing, but push yourself! The difference when you do it and when you plan ahead will be noticable.

I won't discuss the drawings per say, because we all draw within our abilities. However, I would like to encourage you to study life drawings. It's very relaxing and your craft will improve.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    @Visti I know I was just joking with you.
    @MagicToaster Yeah I realise the art is my weak point.I'm not good with a lot of things but I am trying to do the things I'm not comfortable with or good at more,but it's an ongoing process.I'm about a month ahead of time on the comic and slowly working in background and perspective.(and maybe one day shading,who knows?)I actually consider myself more of a writer but since I can't afford an artist I'm doing and learning as I go.
    As far as the site?I think i demonstrated my general level of coding ability earlier.What you see is me working from a template and adjusting what I can.Hopefully by Monday I'll have new banners,buttons,title graphics and links.Then I'll start on the background.I want to have a background image that stays static while the rest of the page scrolls but having a hard time finding someone to help me with that.
    Having said is their anything specific from an advertising standpoint you would recommend I could do to make it more Eye-Catching?

hainted on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Okay damn, I'll jus' bullet point this shit. There is lots of shit too say.

- Do you read comics often? No offence, but this is really the bare bones of what a comic is. Its like going for a jog round your block and calling it a cross-country marathon. Buttercup Festival and Sinfest might be a decent places to start for you, at least online, now there are two guys who can bring some show to an otherwise boring three or four panel comic. I'd suggest buying some comics too however.

- Put spaces between your panels please. If that seems like a hassle, do it once, then scan and print a ton out. Not the best approach perhaps but it'll do for you.

- Speaking of panels, try some things out, like an unframed panel in the middle with two frames either side. Makes the comic look a little more spacious, you know. Or vertical panels. Or circular panels. Hat shaped panels!

- I'd also get rid of Biscuit Pete for now. It's way to early to bring in a mystery man when I don't know who the other characters are anyways. Too random too soon.

- Character design. There is none. These guys are nobodies. Fix that up if you're able.

- Read these bastards: http://www.blambot.com/grammar.shtml & http://www.blambot.com/greatcomics.shtml

- Oh and also just look around Blambot generally.

- Make the lines darker, thicker and colour it, it makes it so much more visually pleasing. You could use two shades of blue for all I care. Nedroid does!

- Read Nedroid. http://nedroid.com/

- In future, less words more action. I reckon I could (and I'm no great artist) cut the Pete comic down to two panels, no spoken words, maybe keep the Super Heroic "Who is he? What does he want?" bit in the last panel.

- Keep trucking. You scum.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Wow if it's too soon for BP I guess you're really going to think it's too soon for the Ear raping Baboon I'm bringing in next week.

hainted on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You really need to work on your drawing outside of a comic environment, right now you're trying to run before you can walk. I do believe you when you say you've been drawing all your life, but you haven't been studying it, just throwing down a doodle every once in a while. I know because I was the same. 2-3 years ago I was drawing exactly like this. I probably would have the skill now to put together a passable comic, but only just.

Anyway, what I'm really trying to get at here, is that if you want this to be good, you have to take some time outside of the comic to really study art, working out the hows and whys of why some peoples art looks so good and others so horrible. You really have to make the decision now if you have the energy to devote to this, because it's really not easy, it's a hard, frustrating, tedious beast master, so you have to really commit if you want to do it right.

I hope you do, because it would be nice to have someone older than me on here.

Mustang on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Not much to say other than keep practicing. I do like that you arent like other webcomic artists who insist on drawing straight in the computer, with rainbow coloured clothing. So thumbs-up for that! Just keep practicing, keep pushing yourself and at this stage, make sure you use references! Photograph your friends or search deviantart or flickr. Keep posting!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    MindsackMindsack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    EDIT: posting said comic

34d2d40bc3d042c2ddbda5a1931b72a0.jpg

your admiral ackbar comic was funny, and the art is okay, i think because you drew him from reference, which would have helped for the explosion (those are uberhard to draw and right now it kinda looks like a portal instead of an explosion)

the lettering is kinda hard to read and where it says "your television cant repel entertainment of this magnitude" the name of the person whos being quoted and the aint it hutt news are just too cramped together and it looks like you didn't plan it out at all.

Mindsack on
    (''''\('-_-')/'''') rawr http://gabrielmolina.tumblr.com