As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Void - An adventure/role-playing/after-life/painting/horror/survival/dating game

ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Games and Technology
2441eh1.jpg

Platforms: PC

Release Date: Out now in the US and the UK

The Void is now on Gamersgate!

AND STEAM!

* Here it is on Amazon UK People in the US can import the game NSFWhereNSFW from the publisher's website.

Fuck. How am I going to explain this game?

Just like SomethingAwful's amazing Pathologic Let's Play, someone there has started a Let's Play for The Void. So far it's enjoyable and informative, so if you want to see what the game is like, that's a perfect place to start.

Rock Paper Shotgun has a much better explanation/review than mine. You can read it here.

First, you may remember Pathologic, which was a surreal first person adventure game set in a small town that’s facing a plague epidemic. It was great and weird and unique and ambitious and atmospheric and mistranslated and creepy and hard-as-fuck and buggy. It was the very definition of a rough gem. Rock Paper Shotgun did a great three-part write up of the game here, here, and here. I strongly suggest you read it. There’s also a really great Let’s Play of it over at Something Awful that I also strongly suggest you read if it sounds interesting at all, because it’s much more interesting than I am able to describe.

Now the developer, Ice Pick Lodge, a very small Russian team, is about to release its second game named “The Void” in English and it is fucking weird. Like, so weird I’m having trouble making this thread to tell you about it.

In the game you have just died and your soul travels to a bleak purgatory-ish place called The Void. In this place of sorrow, grey and hopelessness, there’s only one thing that all its inhabitants hunger for and value; colour. In The Void, colour is life, it’s food, it’s a weapon, it’s a gift, and it’s poison. In The Void, you use colour for everything. It’s a limited resource, and there seems to be less and less of it as time goes on, which seems to be leading up to an apocalyptic event in the game (can the afterlife have an apocalypse? GOD THIS GAME IS WEIRD). If you’re wondering what it actually looks like, it’s these little ghostly plants of different colors that you pick up.

In gameplay terms, you must search the dead world for colour and collect it. You need colour to live in the game, and when you run out you die. When you put a certain colour in your ethereal body, that colour is basically an RPG stat. Red makes your attacks stronger, blue makes you faster, yellow makes you lucky, green makes enemies’ attacks less effective etc. Colour is constantly leaking out of you, so that’s where the survival aspect kicks in. You’re always on the hunt for this resource.

2ca5e245096916.gif fcd62245096918.gifd7ac3053166074.gif

See that sad looking fellow above? That’s you in the game. See those colorful organ-looking things? Those are called hearts in the Void, and that’s where you store the colour you find.

You also use colour to, for lack of a better term, cast spells. Casting spells uses a gesture system akin to Black & White where you draw symbols with your mouse. You use spells to attack enemies and defend yourself, and also use spells related to finding and giving colour.

34a2dd45097500.gif 56a27945097501.gif

To progress in the game, you need to give colour to the women of The Void, who are called “Sisters”, for information (you’re more or less a baby in this new world, ignorant to all) and passage to go further into the world, and also for the ability to carry more colour in your body and obtain new spells. The men of the world, called “Brothers”, don’t like this much. I believe each brother is paired to a sister, and they’re the bosses of the game. They get pissed off when you talk to or give colour to their sister, and they might hunt after you and kick your ass. And I believe they guard certain areas you need to go. The brothers look like what the monsters from Silent Hill might have nightmares of.

07142446712611.giff88b9f45097403.gif 9e796845097404.gif 27f96845097406.gif1dea0e45104324.gif

So, if it’s so weird and complicated, why am I talking about the game? Well, for one thing, its atmosphere and art direction are amazing. Just fucking amazing. It looks and feels like some awful and beautiful dream I had but can’t remember.

Second, the music in the game is equally amazing. Third, I love these types of games. Not only these ambitious and strange games from small developers, but fantasy games that are truly fantastic and not just a different coat of paint on elves and dwarves. And this is the type of game that will get no marketing or hype whatsoever and bomb. Oh, and the gameplay’s pretty neat and inspired as well. It’s just hard and unforgiving.

5e46cb48861721.gif6bb71248861723.gif26708248861727.gif e4232848861729.gife7385c48861732.gif 0ef5b548861734.gif72ba5745097884.gif3ae29e45097886.gif15846345097888.gif 01ed3c45097890.gif9ecf4e45097894.gif6637ce45097896.gif d9267945097898.gifdb8c4b45097902.gif8f02b546712337.gif 40aad846712338.gif50aea746712339.gif

Some screens:

bad05846712900.gifb4edcd46712898.gif9bc51a46712899.gifd43aed45098271.gif db7f5445098272.gif 4f58d645098273.gif 15846345098274.gif 4e678b45098276.gifb60f8045098278.gifa5d3ea51640912.gif 75cf3051640914.gif 76523151640916.gif828a0645098279.gif 79465945098282.gif dc98a445098283.gif a7bcbb45098284.gif 70256345098287.gif ba973445098289.gif d1290545098290.gif f8361445098291.gifbd507d45105134.gif

Here are some gameplay videos and trailers and such. Keep in mind that each might contain nudity in the form of pixelated nipples and/or vaginas.
I repeat, NSFW videos.
I repeat, NSFW videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ-FvuzPrgk
I repeat, NSFW videos.

I repeat, NSFW videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m402AQQ8Dfw
I repeat, NSFW videos.

I repeat, NSFW videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp5HNLDCyI0
I repeat, NSFW videos.
I repeat, NSFW videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0XprIY71SY
I repeat, NSFW videos.
I repeat, NSFW videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg43qAHnAPo
I repeat, NSFW videos.
I repeat, NSFW videos.

*whew*

The first English review I've found. NSFW (has a screenshot of a breast)

There is a bug for the 4000 (and perhaps 5000) series of ATI cards where mines in the game are invisible. Disabling antialiasing will fix this.

Clevinger on

• Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You had me at pixelated nipples and/or vaginas.

Also, I have no idea what the fuck is going on in those videos. Sure does look like a crazy dream though.

JJ on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am so glad I clicked on G&T today.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oh, I also probably should have added that those videos are all of the Russian version of the game, and the gameplay parts have no sound, only the game's soundtrack playing over them. :? Makes this thing make even more sense, doesn't it?

If I had more English stuff to post, I would. Sorry about that.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am so getting this.

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • Options
    Dr. GeroDr. Gero Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wow.

Dr. Gero on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You had me at the tread title.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I willfully go where the developers of Pathologic tread :^:

Hopefully this will be a tad more polished for a Western release.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Awesome, I didn't know the Pathologic Let's Play was continued!

Turkey on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, I was pumped about Pathologic only to be let down by hearing how difficult and buggy it was. I have a really short attention span when it comes to video games. This looks even better though, like Myst meets Okami with a little Silent Hill thrown in.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    When is it coming out in the US?

vhzod on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I know it's coming out in Europe on the 25th, but not positive about the US. When I find out I'll update the thread.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Somewhere in the middle of that OP my brain turned to liquid leaked out my ear. I have no idea what is going on here.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Somewhere in the middle of that OP my brain turned to liquid leaked out my ear. I have no idea what is going on here.

Ditto.

goggles on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wow. This reminds me of Zeno Clash, except more fucked up. Which is a scary thought.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    At least Zeno Clash was easy to explain. "You punch a lot of weird looking dudes."

Clevinger on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is pretty much right up my alley right now. I need some weirdness to shake things up. After playing Ghostbusters, Street Fighter 4, Trine and so on, this and Borderlands both look really enticing.

Thanks for making this OP, I may not have noticed this game otherwise.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This looks kind of original. This is going on my list.

Shifty_Calhoun on
  • Options
    MegazverMegazver Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You really should read the SomethingAwful Let's Play thread of Pathologic. It's brilliant.

And I've tried the russian version of The Void. It's weirder than Pathologic and probably just as hard but at least it's somewhat polished this time. It was too hard and weird for me. :(

Megazver on
    Chief Tyrol. Academician Megazver of the Jol-Nar Universities
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This game looks amazing, and I can't believe I've never heard of Pathologic.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    goggles wrote: »
    Fig-D wrote: »

Ditto.

All I understood was "pixelated nipples and/or vaginas", which is enough to get me interested.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    O_o

Interesting... And I really should read that Pathalogic LP, I read enough other ones there.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    When we say these games are 'hard' are we talking puzzle hard or combat hard? Because I'm 500% more interested in one than the other.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    When we say these games are 'hard' are we talking puzzle hard or combat hard? Because I'm 500% more interested in one than the other.

I don't think there are puzzles in either game.

Pathologic was hard because it was about as harsh as its setting - you were a doctor in a town facing plague. You have to manage your health each day, which included levels of infection and fatigue and hunger. You also had to make sure a group of seven or so people don't die each day if they are infected. Then there are the quests. There's one main quest each day, and if you don't finish it by midnight, game over. Usually it wasn't too hard to accomplish, but the game was translated to English horribly, so instructions for the quests were often times muddled.

The Void is hard, from what I gather from playing the Russian version and hearing impressions, because it's very much a survival game. Like Pathologic, the developers make the game as hard as its setting - you're a dead soul who travels to a purgatory-like place where you and all the other souls are ravenous for this one scarce resource. And you use this resource in the game for everything. There's also some randomization with the spells you might get and the colour you might find that makes the game harder and, again, the developers aren't afraid to go, "You died. Start over, bitch." The Russian title of the game is "Tension," so that gives you another idea of the mood they were going for. I don't know how much the difficulty will be changed in our version, because the English version will be the "director's cut" of the game that was released in Russia a year after the original.

I will say that The Void is infinitely more fun to play than Pathologic.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This looks so amazing. Thank you for bringing this to my attention definatly going to have to pick this up. It's like a sureal okami.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm a huge fan of Games-As-Art, and despite warnings of how it plays, I really want to check out Pathologic after reading the first few days of the Lets Play. What's the easiest way to (legally) obtain it? I can't find any places that sell it online.

Also, any good unofficial patches/translations I should check out when/if I find it?

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of Games-As-Art, and despite warnings of how it plays, I really want to check out Pathologic after reading the first few days of the Lets Play. What's the easiest way to (legally) obtain it? I can't find any places that sell it online.

Also, any good unofficial patches/translations I should check out when/if I find it?

Here you go

Re: Translation. They were working on some kind of patch, but I don't think it ever materialized.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I need to try this. Zeno Clash was awesome - I'm ready for more fantastic weirdness.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Raiden, I think it's pretty much essential to read this walkthrough as you play, or at least at the first sign of trouble. It'll cut down on so much of the tedium, especially when the translation isn't clear on what you need to do.

www.pathologic-game.com/path_walkthrough_eng.pdf

There's also a "general advice" section in it that would be good to follow, from what I remember.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Clevinger wrote: »
    Raiden, I think it's pretty much essential to read this walkthrough as you play, or at least at the first sign of trouble. It'll cut down on so much of the tedium, especially when the translation isn't clear on what you need to do.

www.pathologic-game.com/path_walkthrough_eng.pdf

There's also a "general advice" section in it that would be good to follow, from what I remember.

Bookmarked, thanks.

Even though the Bachelor is the "easiest", I'm probably going to play the Haru my first time, since I can't stop reading the Bachelor's LP.

I'll let you know how it goes. Might even start a thread on it, since there isn't one already.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Whatever you do, don't play The Devotress. The other two characters have decent to bad translations, but you can still understand a lot of them. The Devotress' translation, however, is just complete shit and incomprehensible.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Whatever you do, don't play The Devotress. The other two characters have decent to bad translations, but you can still understand a lot of them. The Devotress' translation, however, is just complete shit and incomprehensible.

That bums me out, I was really interested in learning her side of the story (especially since from what I've read, it's hinted that she is the only char who gets to go inside the Apiary). Is there any decent write up of her story I can read when I finish a playthrough?

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The names confuse me, but I'm pretty sure the doctor and the Haruspex both go into the Apiary. At least the doctor does, as he's the only character I've played.

But,
    in the doctor's playthrough you meet the haruspex (for some reason called "Haruspicus" in the translation) in the Apiary, and it seems like a kind of workplace for him, so I believe you go there a lot as that character.

I don't know about a plot summary for the devotress. If you really want it that bad, you could go to Ice Pick Lodge's forums and ask one of the developers if he could summarize it for you. One developer you could ask is named The LxR on the forum, and he's a nice fellow who would likely help you if he has the time. Or maybe start a topic asking the fans for it. They're also nice people who would likely help.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »

That bums me out, I was really interested in learning her side of the story (especially since from what I've read, it's hinted that she is the only char who gets to go inside the Apiary). Is there any decent write up of her story I can read when I finish a playthrough?

A russian guy in the Something Awful Let's Play thread has already played through, wrote and translated an entire playthrough of the Devotress part of the story. He's waiting for the guy doing the Doctor to finish his.

Megazver on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    oh, cool

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    That is exactly the answer I was hoping to hear.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    XantusXantus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    im superjazzed about this. can't wait to be running around in a panic looking for some yellow misty shit so I don't die.... in the afterlife...

Xantus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Xantus wrote: »
    im superjazzed about this. can't wait to be running around in a panic looking for some yellow misty shit so I don't die.... in the afterlife...

Or drop into Nightmare, the other afterlife below the one you're in. The one the Brothers came from, in reward for their good behavior. They consider this afterlife to be their awesome Paradise, so Nightmare probably kind of sucks!

Megazver on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ...That says a lot about the tone of this game.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pathologic spoliers:
    The bit where you go down into the tunnels as the Haruspex, and run into the tiny little man wearing the rat mask? One of my best videogame WTF moments.

Zsetrek on