As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 8-12-09: Long Live Bowling!

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Graphic Violence
Blackest Night #2 gives off vibes of Infinite Crisis throughout and should have been called "Mera's Night," but this was a good scene because it was the only one that had a smile in it:
bn2a.jpg

bn2b.jpg

bn2c.jpg

But GLC #39 was tits. The whole issue. But it had one page that was more creepy than anything in Blackest Night to date:
Arisia gets kicked out of Daxam now that they're xenophobic AND Superman strong (and Yat can be seen in the sun ala All Star Superman #12):

glc39a.jpg

glc39b.jpg

Kryb freaks everyone out:

glc39c.jpg

Also worth noting is Mongul is calling the yellow corps Mongul Corps. now that he has taken over Korugar.

And Guy and Kyle's reaction to the rings (and Morro lives), and this cool page of Guy being seen in red:
glc39d.jpg

glc39e.jpg

Also, Jade comes back to life and Kyle actually saw Jade in the Star Sapphires vision, not Natu.

TexiKen on

• Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Who is that dude on the right on the last Blackest Night page?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, the BLs are hardcore, Superman needs to stop dicking about on New Krypton.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I actually really enjoyed BN#2. I enjoyed all three of the BN books that came out today.

Re: BN#2 --
    I don't know a damn thing about Aquaman except that he's dead and he's a super hero that talks to fish. But the scenes with him in BN were pretty cool even though I have no idea who any of those supporting characters are.

Re: GLC #49 --
    The red silhouette character in Texiken's scan...
    That's Guy, right? The fact that he was red and was identified as Rage by the Black Rings might mean that Guy's gonna get a red ring soon...

Re: BN Batman #1 --
    Why was Tim all dickish to Dick? What happened between them? I thought they were on good terms in recent issues, no?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Firestorm, Ronnie Raymond

Lux on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, the BLs are hardcore, Superman needs to stop dicking about on New Krypton.
    Yeah this whole "But how can the heroes win without Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman?" thing is getting kind of played out. On the other hand, it would be nice to see them solve a problem without Superman coming back in the last issue and saving the day. So I guess what I'm saying is this could go either way.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    That's Guy, right? The fact that he was red and was identified as Rage by the Black Rings might mean that Guy's gonna get a red ring soon...

Why was Tim all dickish to Dick? What happened between them? I thought they were on good terms in recent issues, no?

GLC
    I don't think it's a sign of Guy getting a red ring. The Black Lanterns wait until their prey is feeling an emotion to steal their heart.

So maybe Guy will die?

Batman: They basically turned Tim into a less-crazy Jason Todd post Battle for the Cowl

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I actually really enjoyed BN#2. I enjoyed all three of the BN books that came out today.

I don't know a damn thing about Aquaman except that he's dead and he's a super hero that talks to fish. But the scenes with him in BN were pretty cool even though I have no idea who any of those supporting characters are.

Guy was red just because he was upset at the time. It was shown in BN as well, as people cycle through the emotions.

Gleason really had fun drawing the constructs this issue. There's one scene where Kyle, in an attempt to go faster, is wearing a jetpack. Iolande flys through space on a sofa all chillin', and Guy and Kyle make a big town bell and big screen TV with stadium speakers to tell people to look out for the BL rings.

Re BN #2:
    In BN #2 I just didn't get the Spectre stuff. They were implying God is magic and that the BLs trump that magic, which really doesn't make sense. These are the troubles with having explicitly stated there is a God in the DCU. I also didn't like that BLs can regenerate heads being blown off.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BN #2
    I like that getting their head blown off doesn't phase them. Lessens the zombie comparison and shows there are different rules to downing the Black Lanterns

Rans on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »

Guy was red just because he was upset at the time. It was shown in BN as well, as people cycle through the emotions.

Gleason really had fun drawing the constructs this issue. There's one scene where Kyle, in an attempt to go faster, is wearing a jetpack. Iolande flys through space on a sofa all chillin', and Guy and Kyle make a big town bell and big screen TV with stadium speakers to tell people to look out for the BL rings.

Re BN #2:
    In BN #2 I just didn't get the Spectre stuff. They were implying God is magic and that the BLs trump that magic, which really doesn't make sense. These are the troubles with having explicitly stated there is a God in the DCU. I also didn't like that BLs can regenerate heads being blown off.

Doesnt BN2 also show that
    If the body is revived the spirit comes with it? Because Deadman didn't want to revive and he seemed to but without any control over himself.

The spectre thing was bullshit though, talk about overpowered

Theres no way basically that this is going to be won through fighting unless it really does go some all out cheesy emotional togetherness of the Lanterns.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The interesting thing about BN #2 was:
    Dove being at peace and therefore can't come back to life.

And yeah, the spirit thing made no sense. That whole page with Deadman coming back made no sense, really

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Re BN #2:

Doesnt BN2 also show that
    If the body is revived the spirit comes with it? Because Deadman didn't want to revive and he seemed to but without any control over himself.

The spectre thing was bullshit though, talk about overpowered

Theres no way basically that this is going to be won through fighting unless it really does go some all out cheesy emotional togetherness of the Lanterns.

Deadman:
    The preview for Blackest Night: Batman shows his body become a Black Lantern but his soul remains intact. He also tries to retrieve his body but experiences agonizing pain.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    My take on the spectre thing:

As we've seen in GL Rebirth, and other places as well, the spirit of the Spectre is almost like a parasite in its own right. It cannot act on its own. It needs a host body. We've also seen that other parasites, such as Parallax, can co-habit a body along with the Spectre.

I think what we've got going on here is a situation very similar to what happened in GL Rebirth.
    The Black Ring resurrected the body of Crispin Glover and possessed it with whatever black energy the rings have. The Spirit of the Spectre is now trapped within the body of its host, who has been converted into a Black Lantern.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Crispin Glover is perhaps the best typo ever

Rans on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The interesting thing about BN #2 was:
    Dove being at peace and therefore can't come back to life.

And yeah, the spirit thing made no sense. That whole page with Deadman coming back made no sense, really

So that means everyone whos been revived isn't at peace?

Wonder if thats why they wait till people are feeling strong emotions to kill them so that they will desire to come back.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I don't get it. . .

Oh. His name is Crispus Allen. Wow. I was way off.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    crispin_glover.jpg

Black Lantern Crispin Glover!!!

Rans on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    or you may have been channeling Danny Glover, in which case I will now read all of the Spectre's lines in Danny Glover's voice and god that is just so hysterical

Rans on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Pet Avengers #4. Lockjaw is super smart:
    PA4a.jpg

And then Thanos beats all the Pet Avengers. But Lockjaw has a plan!!!!!:

PA4b.jpg

PA4c.jpg

PA4d.jpg

And the blasting goes on forever and he finally traps Thanos in another dimension

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited August 2009
    Rans wrote: »
    Crispin Glover is perhaps the best typo ever

:lol:

So, was there another ring today?

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Not at my store.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Goddamn it, I'm stupid for clicking that Pet Avengers spoiler.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    But wasn't it awesome, Crimson?

But you know who's better than Lockjaw? Bufkin.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    RE: Deadman and my pet theory I've been nursing.
    So we see that, with BLs at least, the spirit and body are separate. So, theoretically, all the people who are coming back are coming back in body only, with their spirits being...elsewhere. With the big deal currently being made over Bruce Wayne's skull being used by Black Hand, I've been wondering...what if his spirit, wherever the hell it is, is rescued somehow from the Omega Sanction and, along with the spirits of those being brought back by the BLC, he ends up leading the fight that eventually stops the BLC? Souls vs. bodies...life vs. death. It would seem that since you can't physically stop a Black Lantern, you'll simply have to find a way to overpower whatever it is that is animating them. And, once that's done, with the spirit restored to the body, everyone's back!

cr0w on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    That's not a bad theory. But there's one major flaw with it.
    Its way too soon to be bringing back Bruce. They've already previewed or hinted at Batman story arcs as far out as next year, with Dick in the cowl. Grant Morrison already has like 4 or 5 arcs planned out for Batman and Robin. Assuming each arc is 4 or 5 issues, we're talking somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 to 25 issues of B&R before there's even a chance of seeing Bruce in the cowl again.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well
    Maybe if he comes back, he won't want to be Batman. At least, not yet. I'm sure he'd have a few things to sort out after coming back from the dead and all, and he'd probably want a little personal time. Assuming, of course, the writers actually try to let Bruce grow instead of sticking with the "There is no Bruce, only Batman!" stuff. If Dick is keeping Gotham safe as Batman, I think Bruce might enjoy some time off. He might finally take time to enjoy being alive.

cr0w on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Batman isnt dead. Hes been shown in the past months ago.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I tend to ignore everything about FC. Plus, you know, the body. At the very least I'd assume they'll be doing something with it.

cr0w on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    But wasn't it awesome, Crimson?

But you know who's better than Lockjaw? Bufkin.

If you spoil Fables I swear I will fucking END YOU!

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2009
    Hey guys, take the speculation to the Blackest Night thread, please

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Fables #87. Oh, Bufkin.....:
    f87a.jpg

f87b.jpg

f87c.jpg

Oh, and USM #1, didn't buy but looked through, and
    Peter and Gwen are together (kinda weird for Aunt May since they all live together). Pete is Spidey still and works at a burger joint now that the DB is gone. Mysterio "kills" the Kingpin.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The end of Walking Dead was a great "Fuck yeah!" moment.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

How'd it end?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    im not sure if this was the week that thor vol.2 finally hit paperback but that was my moment. god do i love that book.

Angry on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

How'd it end?

Not sure if you've been following it at all but
    In the current arc the survivors are being hunted by a group of hunter cannibals. The cannibals have captured Dale and eaten his remaining leg but instead of finishing him off they decide it will be easier to capture the others if they're scared. The survivors are currently holed up in a church and over the course of the evening Dale's unconscious and legless body is left out in the church's yard. When the survivors go out to help Dale, Rick immediately figures out that it's a trap. He discretely tells the others to run inside as he opens fire on the forest. Glenn gets shot in the leg but they all get inside the church where they realize they aren't being murdered, they're being hunted to be captured. Leading to this exchange:
    Abraham: "They only fired one shot. Hit Glenn right in the leg...they aren't trying to kill him or any of us. They're toying with us."
    Rick: "Mother fuckers. They're going to feel pretty stupid when they find out."
    Abraham: "Find out what?"
    *panel of Rick looking like a bad ass with his gun drawn*
    Rick: "They're fucking with the WRONG people."

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Deadpool #13. Deadpool decides to be a pirate.

Since he has so much money now and needs to lie low, he and Bob (forced to dress up as a parrot) decide to pillage a Dubai-like island called Jakarra:

dp13a.jpg

dp13b.jpg

dp13c.jpg

dp13d.jpg

And then real pirates show up and Deadpool decides to save the day! Yay!

And Adventure Comics #1 was good. Lots of Krypto love and it makes everyone happy. It was animals week apparently, with this, Fables, and Pet Avengers. But oooh, secret!

ac1a.jpg

ac1b.jpg

Also the Legion backup every month should just be Starman flying around doing stuff, nothing more:
    ac1c.jpg

ac1d.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My MotW was buying volumes 2 and 3 of Preacher for 5 bucks each at my LCS. Thank the Lord I didn't buy that over-priced hardcover, although I hope I can find volume 1 around that same price somewhere, maybe Amazon.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mine was buying all four seasons of Samurai Jack for $25, new. Hooolllla.

Also, Damien slapping Dick in the Batmobile.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ultimate Avengers #001 contained my MOTW.
    "What kind of girl gets stopped by a bomb?"

That, and the ultra-violence.

KidDork on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think this is one of my Favorite Deadpool issues. So much awesome stuff.

The whole buying the boat part was amazing.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Did anybody happen to pick up the Marvels Project #1 today? My LCS didn't have it, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to go to the gross dungeon comic shop in the city to get it tommorow.

Hensler on