As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BSG] Blood & Chrome is here and will frak your shit backwards in time

AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whateverRegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
I noticed that the old thread had exceeded its limit, and since there's some new news out today, I figured this would be a good jumping off point.

HitFix is saying that none other than Bryan Singer is now attached to produce (and maybe direct) a new theatrical BSG movie, completely unrelated to Ron Moore's series but possibly related to the original and BSG 1980 series.

I'm having a hard time seeing how this isn't going to be just a terrible idea.

edit: For some added confounding talk, read the comments on that link to see loads of people who flat-out hated the SyFy series, but can't wait for the guy who did Superman Returns and Valkyrie to take a shot at it. "Facepalm" doesn't even begin to describe it.

Atomika on

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What. The. Fuck.

This is just great. I've been trying to convince my friends to give the series a try, and they're all like, "Yeah....maybe." Then this'll come out and they'll be like, "I'll just go see the movie" and of course I will say "No don't go see the movie" and they'll be all "I'm gonna go see the movie" and then they'll go see the fucking movie and they'll be all "You mean you actually like this stuff" and I'll be like "NO."

:(

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, this guy's been pushing to have a movie made for like, 20 years or something crazy like that. It's a terrible idea, but I won't be all up in arms until they actually start shooting it.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I thought the rumours of an original-series-based BSG movie had been squarely refuted by Universal back around the time RDM's series ended?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Every time I mention how BSG is incredible people laugh.

Whenever I talk about Bear McCreary and how he's the best cinematic composer ever people laugh when they hear that he wrote for BSG.

Now they will have a reason if they see this stupid movie that's going to be awful why would they do this.

Did the series just cause a quality imbalance that the idea of BSG couldn't handle. They felt it went too far to outshine the original series and decided they needed more suck

Khavall on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, this guy's been pushing to have a movie made for like, 20 years or something crazy like that. It's a terrible idea, but I won't be all up in arms until they actually start shooting it.

Between Tom DeSanto and Richard Hatch, I just keep scratching my head over what it is about the original series that people think needs revisiting. They had two chances already to get this thing right, and audiences didn't bite. The R&D series is already a legend and milestone of quality television, and offered just about everything I feel this series could strive for, surpassing even that quite often.

Totally confused.

Atomika on
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Unrelated to BSG Movie talk does anyone know why the hell The Face of the Enemy webisodes are not included in the "Complete Series Boxset"? It seems other than the Caprica Pilot (which is understandable) its the one thing thats missing in the boxset. :( After blowing a ton of cash on the Blu-ray set its a big let down (a long with the crappy box it comes in) to know its not really complete.

powersurge on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    powersurge wrote: »
    Unrelated to BSG Movie talk does anyone know why the hell The Face of the Enemy webisodes are not included in the "Complete Series Boxset"? It seems other than the Caprica Pilot (which is understandable) its the one thing thats missing in the boxset. :( After blowing a ton of cash on the Blu-ray set its a big let down (a long with the crappy box it comes in) to know its not really complete.

The Plan's not on there either. I downloaded all the individual webisodes and keep them on my computer, but Face of The Enemy all compile together lasts 1 episode, so they should have included it in Season 4 somewhere really.

But there is some big royalty fiasco with the webisodes apparently, after the Resistance they almost didn't make any more.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think I spent most of every season of BSG thinking they'd 'ruined' the show and wishing it'd go back to 'the way things were'

I also didn't like Roslin or Adama very much.

But it's still a quality show (until the last season)

Sunday_Assassin on
    edited August 2009
    I think I spent most of every season of BSG thinking they'd 'ruined' the show and wishing it'd go back to 'the way things were'

Not to flame, but what is it about the old show that you found so much more involving than the Ron Moore version? Cheap costumes and sets? Campy adventurism? Lorne Greene?

Atomika on
    edited August 2009
    I've never seen the old show

By 'the way things were' I mean the previous seasons

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    After listening to Edward James Olmos at comic-con, I have come to the conclusion that the man is irrevocably insane in a awesome way.

He has it all planed out how the end of BSG meets up with Blade Runner and has ideas about what happened after the end of the series
    Tigh shows up at Adama's shack and says "We have a problem"

Bloods End on
    edited August 2009
    I have never laughed harder than when Adama threw up on himself in the finale

edit: To expand on the previous stuff, while I very much enjoyed the characters and setting, I found more or less every reveal or significant plot development disappointing in some way or another, and while the show did at times manage to convince me otherwise after the fact, this did not stop me longing for the old more often than I enjoyed the new.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • hottoqhottoq Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    edit: To expand on the previous stuff, while I very much enjoyed the characters and setting, I found more or less every reveal or significant plot development disappointing in some way or another, and while the show did at times manage to convince me otherwise after the fact, this did not stop me longing for the old more often than I enjoyed the new.

This.

Everything after the beginning of the third season was a MASSIVE disappointment. The quality of the writing and acting took a huge nosedive. Went from being one of the best shows on TV to something I could barely muster the enthusiasm to watch. The finale was just laughably bad.

... and this coming from a guy who teared up during the liberation of New Caprica.

hottoq on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I thought the show got better and better and the brutality (which just frankly went through the roof after season 3) was pretty amazing. The beginning of season 4 part 2 was such an incredible start and then the two parter a couple of episodes later was the height of the show to me.

It was after that I kind of felt the show started to meander into its rather clumsy finale. I was really engaged all the way up until the final episode which fell really flat to me.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah that last handful of episodes had way too much navel gazing and not enough development

nexuscrawler on
    edited August 2009
    The whole episode with
    Boomer nicking off with Hera

annoyed the pure fuck out of me. I mean
    JUST SHOOT HER FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

Aegeri on
  • ThisThis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I hope that anyone responsible for making this movie dies.

This on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just finished the first season.

Holy shit, this show is so good. I ignored it forever for no good reason.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I myself have been listening to the ever-loving-fuck out of the Season 4 soundtrack. So much good stuff.

Spoilered for spoilery track names/plot match-ups
    "Assault on the Colony" is as badass as expected. It covers the "all hands" segment through the Opera House payoff. They included pretty much every significant piece of music from Daybreak on Disc 2.

My favorite from Disc 1 has to be "Kara Remembers" - plays exactly as you hear it in the episode, and there's this awesome section in the middle with just some doodling on the piano that was probably buried in the episode mix (I don't remember hearing it in the scene itself).

"The Cult of Baltar" is a very cool interpretation of his theme, with some Sanskrit choir chanting "Gaius Baltar" at times.

The version of "Gaeta's Lament" that opens the album is awesome - it is a re-recording, and I think I'm starting to prefer it to the version heard in "Guess What's Coming to Dinner?".

Definitely worth your time if you've enjoyed the music in the series.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I myself have been listening to the ever-loving-fuck out of the Season 4 soundtrack. So much good stuff.

I tear up when I listen to "An Easterly View".

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, I do NOT want this to happen. I'm actually kinda hesitant about "The Plan" only because Starbuck and Apollo aren't in it (HOW CAN THEY NOT BE?!).

I could only see this working if say, Singer was going with the tv show and helping fill in some plot holes with the cast we've become attached to.

However, because it isn't, I can only assume that "Battlestar Galactica: 1980 Revisited"'s opening day in theaters will be uglier than a town hall meeting on universal health care.

Personally, I LOVED the series till the end. I will re-watch it though so I can see what everyone was against just to understand the other side's point of view.
    I will say I think the only thing that pissed me off the most was that Starbuck went *POOF* into thin air. WHAT WAS SHE?!!?!??!
    But I think just the way the military itself fell apart after finding Earth and how people were killing themselves after experiencing joy for a milisecond to hold on to that feeling (I'm lookin' at you Dualla. I STILL HATE YOU FOR WHAT YOU DID TO BILLY) just got to me. The final five meeting together because they needed support like whoa, and how the cylons and the humans really needed to come together or they were both going to die was cool. I still didn't understand the whole splitting up thing. And the giving up technology bit seemed to be written like a greek tragedy, especially with the tag line "Alll of this has happened before and all of it will happen again". ALSO, the overthrow that Gaeta pulled off and that finally Zareck got his. Ahhh...memories....

When does Caprica come out (the season, already have the pilot on DVD)? And where can I find the webisodes? Are they still up.
    I was heart broken over the fact that Gaeta and Hoshi got together. I wanted him to get with Dualla because they seemed to always be flirty. Then she shot herself.

Mim on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So Olmos tore up a fancy model ship in the series. What could they destroy in the movie?

emnmnme on
  • ThisThis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mim wrote: »
    Personally, I LOVED the series till the end. I will re-watch it though so I can see what everyone was against just to understand the other side's point of view.

Not everyone. I thought the last 10 episodes were some of the best of the entire series.

This on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    When is The Plan coming out?

deadonthestreet on
    edited August 2009
    Gaeta's theme was great

nexuscrawler on
    edited August 2009
    This wrote: »

Not everyone. I thought the last 10 episodes were some of the best of the entire series.
    Same. I loved No Exit, and the dialogue between Calvin and Ellen.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited August 2009
    Richy wrote: »
    Calvin

Please tell me you haven't gone three whole seasons calling the guy by the wrong name.

Atomika on
    edited August 2009
    Calvin

Please tell me you haven't gone three whole seasons calling the guy by the wrong name.
    Cavil, my bad. It's been what, a year since the series was on? My memory is getting faulty.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited August 2009
    When did (and I don't know what is and isn't considered spoilers on this forums so I'll just spoiler it)
    Adama and Roslin get together officially? I mean, I know he kissed her when she made him Admiral, but before that I don't really remember them being in a relationship. Then she went bald and they finally got it on (or did they get it on, on New Caprica?).

And I think the Plan comes out in September?

Mim on
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    They got together when she came back from the basestar. He says "I love you" and she responds "about time".

But I got to say the Singer version is going down in flames. Hard.

A BSG without Admiral Adama, Tigh OR nr. 6?

Doomed to failure.

Sure there will be characters named Adama and Tigh, but they wont be the concentrated awsome that we know from the series.

Why watch a pathetic reboot when you can watch the real thing.

Kinda like who wants to watch Superman returns instead of Superman 2

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    edited August 2009
    When did (and I don't know what is and isn't considered spoilers on this forums so I'll just spoiler it)
    Adama and Roslin get together officially? I mean, I know he kissed her when she made him Admiral, but before that I don't really remember them being in a relationship. Then she went bald and they finally got it on (or did they get it on, on New Caprica?).

The closest to the actual moment would be
    when he waits for her when the baystar goes missing and she says she loves him when they reunite

nexuscrawler on
    edited August 2009
    BSG Classic is on Hulu

is sooooooo terrible

nexuscrawler on
    edited August 2009

The closest to the actual moment would be
    when he waits for her when the baystar goes missing and she says she loves him when they reunite
    So they didn't bang on New Caprica after getting high together? Cause I could've swore they banged. I thought they banged before they met up on the basestar. I do like Roslin's threat about coming back for him (I can't remember it clearly, but it was awesome).

Mim on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So do we have any speculations or anything for
    1. What was Starbuck? Was she just some Cylon copy from the radio-active Earth? Speaking of which, how the fuck did her ship end up there, after blowing up jumps away from there?

2. What the fuck did happen to all the Cylons on the nuked Earth? Like, was it some Cylon on Skinjob uprising that wiped out every single Cylon from both factions except the final 5? Or is there even more survivors from there floating about with subluminal speeds?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    edited August 2009
    1. RDM himself doesn't know; she just is.

2. There are no other survivors besides the Final Five. Pure Cylon, like pure Human, isn't strong enough to survive.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    1. RDM himself doesn't know; she just is. <---This alone is enough to dismiss most of the "yeah buts" about the problems with the finale
    Edits of above but lets keep finale talk out of the thread if at all possible. The positions are well entrenched and all we'll do it water the plains of the intertubes with the blood of nerdrage and fanboydom

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So both 1. and 2. are both just really bad/lazy writing, and they didnt want to bother writing something logical up?

I'm not exactly asking them to give scientific details so that we can reproduce "jumping" and have faster than light travel. But I would like to have plot points more elaborate than the sarcastic "rocks fall and everyone dies" ala SomethingPositive.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    edited August 2009
    Are we still spoilering all 4 seasons? Cause I can see that being a pain in the butt and if someone hasn't watched all four seasons by now why would they jump in here?

How excited is everyone for "The Plan"? When I saw the BSG crew at Wizard World: Philadelphia my thoughts were:

1.) This is going to be awesome because they seem to really love the show
    2.) Kat has really smooth, even skin.
    3.) How will they explain away the missing Starbuck/Apollo/Roslin awesomeness? Did those guys just not want to do the movie? Will they even appear in future BSG works?

Mim on
    edited August 2009
    I thought the final episode, battle aside, was really atrociously bad.

But I can forgive that given how great the rest of the series was and honestly, 2 episodes in Season 4 part 2 were so good that is my true "finale" to the series. I don't need anything else to be perfectly happy.

Aegeri on
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm going to agree with Pants (we don't agree much regarding BSG, normally) in that discussion of the finale at this point is really just an exercise in annoyance.

Instead, I'm looking forward to fresh annoyance: The BSG movie directed by Bryan Singer. (spoilered for length)
    Now, I recognize and understand that a lot of the bitching being done about this film is hilarious when you go back to around 2002 and read some articles/comments regarding Moore's remake before anyone had seen a frame of footage. The Aint it Cool archives in particular are pretty funny. The editorials on behalf of quality genre entertainment IN FAVOR of Larson's original vision. The impassioned defenses of Daggits and Lloyd Bridges as Commander Cain. Spittle, red-faced rage, claw-marks in the keyboard type of stuff. It's a glorious example of nostalgia unexamined being given voice, a vein of internet comedy rich with irony. I wonder how much irony is running through our veins right now online, as the lovers of Moore/Eick's version now sound a LOT like the people who thought Larson/Bellisario/Hatch were the only ones with the rights to touch anything Battlestar related.

Granted, it's easier to take such a hardline position when the show you're defending is NOT a cheezy piece of pandering bullshit, but is, in fact, one of the most well-recieved pieces of televised Sci-Fi ever, and definitely one of the most influential filmic works of the last 10 years in terms of style. The protestations seem so much more righteous when you're defending something worth a shit, even if the people who love(d) the show are split on it's last 10 hours and it's (un)success, depending. I personally count myself amongst those who would call the film the finest Sci-Fi show ever made, and the finale as a piece of tonal perfection.

So, taking that into account, I've done my fair share of tantrum throwing and public ranting, wild-eyed and foamy mouthed. I'm in the calm down period, where the rationality seeps in around the edges as I take deep breaths, and the realization is this: I'm going to watch the fucking thing in 2011. I could posture and bullshit about principle, but the fact of the matter is, regardless of how good the show was, it was just a TV show. Principle is wasted on such things as popular entertainment. What kind of an asshole doesn't see a movie out of principle? Don't get me wrong, I understand not seeing a film because you think it looks shitty, the ads are awful, the director is crappy, the actors piss you off. Those are valid reasons based on the quality of a finished product you've been exposed to in some form, more than likely marketing. But to say "I won't see Battlestar Galactica on principle, out of deference to Moore?" I can see not visiting an eatery because it's owners mistreat their workers. I can see not visiting a nightclub because it's ownership has been shown to be mildly racist. I can see not purchasing a certain brand of personal cleanser because of animal testing. But such stands of moral fortitude are fucking stupid when it comes to TV and movies. You can't talk about principle if you don't couple it with perspective, otherwise you're just being a grandstanding prick. Just like the people who STILL haven't watched Moore/Eick's BSG because they disagreed with their ideas on principle. Their massive loss. If only for the fact they missed out on Bear's score, one of the finest pieces of film music since John Williams set pen to paper in the late 70's.

I don't want to be that kind of asshole. And Bryan Singer is a pretty good director. Combine that with my sense of curiosity, and unless the ads look mindless and the early critical reception is pure poison on a Uwe Boll level, I'm pretty certain I'm going to see this thing. I hear word of Singer taking meetings with Justin Timberlake, and I know there's a chance he's going to be Starbuck in this revamping of the core concept, and I grind my teeth. I like Timberlake, and I think he's got a good film career in him. Maybe as Apollo, I can see it. But not as Starbuck. Even so, even with the knowledge that all we're getting is an Adama wholly different than Greene or Olmos, and a Starbuck that isn't Katee Sackhoff OR Dirk Benedict, and a director whose last shot at a beloved property was a self-indulgent, bloated, reverential mess? I'm gonna see it. I know I'm gonna see it. I'm not gonna start cheerleading for the thing, don't get me wrong. But this movie isn't going to replace that complete series box set at any time. It won't even replace the 78 series. It will be its own thing, and it'll be interesting to look at, even if it's only interesting in the same way a lot of BSG fans are discovering that 78 series on Hulu with chortles, guffaws and winces. People still sought it out, and gave it a shot. The show came up short, but they still at least gave it a shot.

I'll give this a shot. A fair one. If it fails, it fails, and so what, I didn't fuckin make it, it's not my baby, it's just another shitty movie I saw in a theater one day. I'm still VERY skeptical. The speed that this thing is coming together with tells me that Universal doesn't give a shit about the quality, only about the potential for having their own homegrown "Star Trek" revival. It's misguided thinking at best, not looking at why Star Trek was dead, why that revival worked, not devoting an ounce of thought beyond "They got one of those at Paramount, do we have one here at Universal?" The whole thing just feels crassly blatant in its cash-grab, fuck-the-quality feel. Almost like when ABC threw money at Larson because they saw Lucas shoving millions by the fistful into his still nascent neck-pouch-goiter-thing. And we ended up with a pretty looking, empty, stupid, pandering shitpile of sci-fi entertainment.

My hope? They rescind the statement that they're not going to play in Moore's sandbox, and they tell a story set on the Battlestar Galactica, during the First Cylon War in Moore's timeline. No Adama commanding, no Apollo, no Starbuck, no journey across the stars, no quest to find earth, no apocalypse. Just a straight up War Movie set in space featuring a bunch of young bucks on the decks of a badass spaceship shooting holy fuck out of robots? I might start getting out pom-pom's for that. It's distanced from both shows, and presents enough of a blank slate. It's reimagination on the level Universal seems to want, without having to explore the now exhausted concept of apocalyptic footrace across the cosmos yet again. Hell, have the Galactica fight another colony's Battlestar, pre-Cylon War. From when the Cylons did all the Colonials dirty work. There are options here.

Those options won't be explored, because Larson is almost devoid of skill as a storyteller, and Singer isn't great at coming up with a story, either (Superman Returns, his initial BSG pitch about 6 years ago) and we'll end up with Timber-buck getting his pew-pew on as another revamping of Stu Phillips' classic theme rumbles in the background. And I'll be in the theater watching it. Either being disappointed and rolling my eyes at this waste of money and time. Or being pleased at how something called Battlestar Galactica ended up being a decent movie in spite of its goofy name. Just like in 2003. Until then, the rage I'm seeing and feeling is too impotent. There's nothing to it. At least, nothing yet.

Fatboy Roberts on