As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recording phone calls

pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
edited August 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I know states vary in laws regarding recording phone calls. Some require you to notify the people being recorded, some don't and some are varying degrees in-between.

But what about recording automated computer operators? Like the ones that robo-call you, or are used to automate bill paying via phone. I'm sure you can state the call is being recorded at the beginning of the call and the computer won't care and/or hang up.

The reason I ask is I have been having a problem with paying a certain bill via phone. I would like to record the automated procedure and the ticket/receipt number it says at the end for my records.

steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
pacbowl on

• Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    IANAL, but it seems it would only be a problem if you intend on using it for legal purposes.

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    LightbladeLightblade Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Go for it, any messages the recording says are most likely already signed off on by the company's legal department. It's not like they're going to say something off script.

Lightblade on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    An automated recording has no expectation of privacy, so there's no problem with recording it.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I usually use this as a guide.
    http://www.rcfp.org/taping/
    In general, if you are calling from a cellphone, then federal law allows you to record any call, as it only requires one party to consent to the call, and that's you, consenting to record it, by recording it.

State law still varies, and can also include such nuaces as whether the other party is in a seperate state than you are.

Long and short though, as far as I know, no one's going to put you thru the ringer for recording an automated system. If it transfers you to a live person, then you might have to get their permission, depending on state of residence.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    When it comes to recording phone calls, it's only really an issue when you do something with the call you've recorded. No one is even going to find out that you've recorded an automated message, let alone take some sort of legal issue with it.

I record phone calls all the time. Sometimes I notify the person that I'm going to do it, other times I don't. If I'm using the sound bites for a radio story, I'll notify them and ask permission. If it's a print story, I generally don't ask, since after the call I use the recorded mp3 to verify my notes and double check quotes. Then, it's deleted.

If you're wondering whether or not your recorded call can be used as proof of payment down the road, I don't see why not. The reference number they give you at the end should be enough anyway.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jobastion wrote: »
    In general, if you are calling from a cellphone, then federal law allows you to record any call, as it only requires one party to consent to the call, and that's you, consenting to record it, by recording it.

State law still varies, and can also include such nuaces as whether the other party is in a seperate state than you are.

Long and short though, as far as I know, no one's going to put you thru the ringer for recording an automated system. If it transfers you to a live person, then you might have to get their permission, depending on state of residence.

Most of the two party consent states have amended their laws to cover cellphones. The only way in which you should ever really treat them differently is that you aren't allowed to use wireless methods to listen in on them either.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Jobastion wrote: »

Most of the two party consent states have amended their laws to cover cellphones. The only way in which you should ever really treat them differently is that you aren't allowed to use wireless methods to listen in on them either.

Consumerist mentioned the idea of saying something like "hey, I should be one of those recorded people. 'This call may be recorded for training purposes.' Think I could do it?"

Devious...
    Also, your avatar is awesome

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter