As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 8-12-09: Long Live Bowling!

2»

• InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    Did anybody happen to pick up the Marvels Project #1 today? My LCS didn't have it, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to go to the gross dungeon comic shop in the city to get it tommorow.

I picked it up. I liked it. It is mainly setup though, with
    The creation of the Human Torch back in 1939, and the reaction of the world to him, as well as stuff with Namor.

I personally think it was worth it, but it may read better as a trade.

Interpreter on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait, The Marvels project #1 came out last week, didn't it?

(I bought it last week...)

Sharp101 on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Walking Dead
    TAINTED MEAT
    BN2
    ZOMBIE SHARKS

Algertman on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Wait, The Marvels project #1 came out last week, didn't it?

(I bought it last week...)

It was released last week in some places due to a mixup in shipping or some such. It's officially out this week.

KVW on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My moment of the week: Captain America driving a motorcycle off of the Baxter building into a helicopter of AIM goons.

Hensler on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That was fantastic. And I thought Red Skulls first appearance was handled well also, being low-key in a chaotic situation.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited August 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    That was fantastic. And I thought Red Skulls first appearance was handled well also, being low-key in a chaotic situation.

I agree. I cringed when I heard what Ultimate Red Skull's origin was going to be, but I liked this first appearance.

Hensler on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aside from what's been said, I liked Unwritten #4 setting up what I understand is the crux of the comic.

X-Men Forever #5 putting it out in the open to the X-Men that the more mutants use their power, the sooner they die; that's what made Cortez so dangerous, and how/why Magneto died. Also, that the slavers in Genosha knew this, which seems like a big effing deal.

Marvels Project #1 was okay. I'd have liked to see The Angel costume up by the end, but I can wait.

Crimsondude on
    edited August 2009
    Marvels Project #1 was okay. I'd have liked to see The Angel costume up by the end, but I can wait.

I thought it was a really good issue, but I'm going to wait for the trade instead of get the rest of them. It just feels like it will be so much better in one sitting.

Hensler on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    X-Men Forever #5 putting it out in the open to the X-Men that the more mutants use their power, the sooner they die; that's what made Cortez so dangerous, and how/why Magneto died. Also, that the slavers in Genosha knew this, which seems like a big effing deal.

Is this a genetic "burning yourself out" thing or a sociological "making yourself a target" thing?

If the former, what if your power is immortality?

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That's what makes Jean being the Phoenix interesting.

That is a good idea with mutants burning themselves out. Although they point to Xavier being in a wheelchair as a reason why this is true, when it really was Shadow King in the Muir Isle Saga breaking him that did it.

TexiKen on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wow, bad news to be Cyclops then... isn't he constantly shooting his beams, and they are just stopped by the Ruby Quartz? His powers are on 24/7

Plus, what about the mutants who's power is looking funky... they are always "on" too right?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Where's X-Men Forever sit in terms of continuity?

mattharvest on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Where's X-Men Forever sit in terms of continuity?

X-Men Forever is it's own continuity, it's basically Claremont picking up from where he originally left the book back at Uncanny #3.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh that's interesting.

I loathe the whole Spawn-derived idea of mutants burning through their lives by using powers (since, among other things, it implies some way of quantifying the "use" of those powers), so I'm glad to hear it isn't being introduced into 616.

mattharvest on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, no worries there. Claremont's off in his own little world.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited August 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Yeah, no worries there. Claremont's off in his own little world.

He has been for 20 years.

Hensler on
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Adventure Comics #1's little romp with Starman is definitely my MOTW. I'm so glad that I decided to pick this up despite being behind on the Super- titles.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, what else:

Action Comics is good, quality work.

G-Man: Cape Crisis was also awesome as he and his brother kicked some grade school ass.

Uncanny X-Men: First Class #2 had a great final page.

JSA vs. Kobra #3 was awesome just because the whole plot in the ep was a giant "Fuck you" by Kobra to, well, every superhero.

Crimsondude on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »

That is a good idea with mutants burning themselves out. Although they point to Xavier being in a wheelchair as a reason why this is true, when it really was Shadow King in the Muir Isle Saga breaking him that did it.

I think it was Satan (not the Satan) who crippled Xavier. Or are you talking about something else?

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »

I think it was Satan (not the Satan) who crippled Xavier. Or are you talking about something else?

Right before X-Men #1 was released and they were wrapping up the Claremont story plots, they had Xavier walking around in a cloned body while he was with the Shi'ar. At the end of the Muir Isle Saga (Uncanny #280), the Shadow King, in a battle on the astral plane, destroyed his body making him crippled again.

TexiKen on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You're thinking of a guy called Lucifer, not Satan. He was the original crippler. I'm sure Prof X has been crippled a few ways since then.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg