As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

First drawing in a long while

ResilientResilient Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Artist's Corner
I used to do quite a bit of photography and a bit of drawing in high school and early college but kind of fell out of it.

Just for fun I am thinking of doing some sort of illustrated story about a penguin who really wants to fly. Not sure if I will make it more like a comic or what. Regardless I need to remember how to draw again.

Here is the first thing I have drawn in quite a few years. I am not really happy with the ocean and even less happy with the close ice but I can't figure out how to make it better.

Dreams of Flight
DreamsofFlight.jpg

Resilient on

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Maybe just try working on drawing with a pencil first? There seem to be a lot of fundamental issues in this, and I think it would be good for you to focus on just getting the forms down properly before progressing with rendering and color and whatnot.

I'd also suggest looking up some reference, so the penguin is more accurate (even if he's a cartoony penguin) and so your background is more interesting/"involved".

NightDragon on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There is a lot of empty space that does nothing. It feels incomplete.

MagicToaster on
  • ResilientResilient Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    MagicToaster: I realized after I started that I didn't lay it out very well so there is a lot of empty boring space.

I have been reworking it, trying to make it more interesting. Still having a hard time making ice interesting and have found that drawing water is very difficult. I am having a hard time finding examples of other pieces of work that do a good job with large expanses of water.

NightDragon: I am kind of trying to avoid drawing with pencil to get started. One of my big problems in the past was outlining everything too much which, given a pencil, I tend to do. But I agree that the color is a problem. I will probably try leaving out color for awhile.

Thanks

Resilient on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, a pencil is used for shading as well.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited August 2009
    But I have a nasty habit of ignoring that. I always made better work using charcoal because it was harder for me to outline stuff. Its sort of just subconscious. Give me pencil and paper and I will return to you a drawing where everything has a hard edge surrounding it. :?

Resilient on
    edited August 2009
    So, screw color for awhile. Here is my 2nd drawing in a long time.

knight.jpg

Thoughts on this one?

Resilient on
  • RandomActionRandomAction Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    is that a jousting helmet?

RandomAction on
    [SIGPIC]http://random2action.com[/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    I didn't know it was when I was looking at the picture, but a quick Google suggests its a frog mouthed jousting helmet.

Resilient on
  • RandomActionRandomAction Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, you can tell by the visor slit. The drawing is kind of fuzzy you should do some pencil sketches to start off.

RandomAction on
    [SIGPIC]http://random2action.com[/SIGPIC]
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Resilient wrote: »
    But I have a nasty habit of ignoring that. I always made better work using charcoal because it was harder for me to outline stuff. Its sort of just subconscious. Give me pencil and paper and I will return to you a drawing where everything has a hard edge surrounding it. :?

You should stop using excuses and learn to draw using a pencil. It's very versatile and lots of fun to use, and you'll learn fundamental techniques you should know before jumping into the digital medium. Learn to walk before you run etc.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also I was suggesting a pencil because you could do quick composition studies or something (outlining or no outlining - doesn't really matter in this case). Composition was the other major issue in that first thing you posted.

NightDragon on
    edited August 2009
    Ok, ok, I get the point. I got a sketch pad and pencils at the art store today. ;-)

Ill post some variety of pencil and paper creation in the next couple days.

Resilient on
    edited August 2009
    So here is a sketch I did while watching an episode of Battlestar last night.

heli.jpg

Its more of a sketch, I didn't draw it big enough to get all details I wanted in there.

Resilient on