As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ultimate Spider-Thread!

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Magnetic North is one of the best stories I've read from Marvel. Vaughn and Immonen were such a good duo for UXM.

And Bryan Singer's will he/won't he BS that made Vaughn limited in what he could do with the book (he was only supposed to do 8 or so issues) got in the way of what could have been an even longer run. Which would have meant less if not no Kirkman stories.

TexiKen on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Not that it stops me from enjoying the book, but I still don't think the design for the Green Goblin works very well.

good thing he's dead!

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Not that it stops me from enjoying the book, but I still don't think the design for the Green Goblin works very well.

That's funny, since I actually really liked it. Made more sense since everything was tied in with the Hulk and Super Solider serum.

In other news, I just read the Ultimate Comics: Spider-man #1 and I think Johnny Storm is the Ultimate Hood. Must be something left over from his possession in Ultimatum.

Sharp101 on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I actually think that Hood is actually
    Peter Parker. And the Peter we see wearing the spiderman suit is a clone. That would explain the whole Gwen thing that shows up at the end, and sort of ties into the 616 clone saga where Gwen and Ben Reilly were together

Then again, I only briefly read through it at the comic book store. Sorry, but I'm not too much of a fan of the art outside of the action scenes and 3.99 is too much to pay for any comic nowadays.

noir_blood on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Peter Parker. And the Peter we see wearing the spiderman suit is a clone. That would explain the whole Gwen thing that shows up at the end, and sort of ties into the 616 clone saga where Gwen and Ben Reilly were together

Then again, I only briefly read through it at the comic book store. Sorry, but I'm not too much of a fan of the art outside of the action scenes and 3.99 is too much to pay for any comic nowadays.

noir_blood on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2009
    I liked the issue and I like the art except for the way he draws Peter's face

For some reason that just bugs me

Garlic Bread on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, the close up at the start of the issue was ugly. And the art seems to sorta switch in the issue. I can't explain it but it doesn't feel coherent through out the issue.

Still, enjoyable, and it's going interesting directions.

Kyougu on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There were times when I felt Peter looked like he was about 10 years old.

Other than that, and the fact that the new bad guy offs the old bad guy to prove how cool he is (hate this trope), I enjoyed the issue a great deal. Peter's new job is funny, New York's love of Spidey is a welcome change, and living with Torch and dating Gwen should keep Peter's civilian life fresh and interesting.

I do hope that the Bugle isn't permanently gone, though.

Robos A Go Go on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Peter's haircut is stupid

Also
    The Gwen thing?

Overall, decent issue

deadonthestreet on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm a bit concerned with the start up time difference of UCA and UCSM. UCA takes place 3 weeks after Ultimatum, while UCSM takes place 6 months after. This probably shouldn't bother me that much but I hope Millar and Bendis are communicating about the time line. I'd hate to see inconsistencies in a universe with only 2 or 3 ongoings.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Maybe I was reading too much into the Big punch The Hood took to the right side of his face, and then johnny having a big bruise on his right cheek feeling all fucked up at the end.

Sharp101 on
  • BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »

That does strike me as a legit possibility, although I really, really hope that it's not the case. A cloned Peter that was essentially the same as the real one would unnecessarily convolute the plot. Hell, I'm still not totally sold on Jessica as a member of the supporting cast.

BostonGangler on
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The only thing that distracted me about the issue was Peter's hair, but that can be adjusted to...he's a teenager so he can look stupid.

Overall, love the new art style. Its more similar to Immonen's than I had expected while still being its own beast. And the story...well, I trust Bendis, so I'm willing to see where things go.

JyrenB on
    osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I'm a bit concerned with the start up time difference of UCA and UCSM. UCA takes place 3 weeks after Ultimatum, while UCSM takes place 6 months after. This probably shouldn't bother me that much but I hope Millar and Bendis are communicating about the time line. I'd hate to see inconsistencies in a universe with only 2 or 3 ongoings.

I actually think this was a smart move on Bendis's part. If you remember, there was this massive issue with trying to fit Ultimates 2 into the Ultimate Spider-Man timeline due to the massive delays the issue suffered. Now, no matter what kind of delays it runs into, if Spider-Man shows up in UCA, Bendis can just say that UCA happens in the 6-month gap and everything fits smoothly.

On the issue itself, I actually like the art work. It sorta reminded me of some of the art that's shown up in Runaways, which is another of my favorite comics. The only thing I didn't like was how large Spider-Man's head is. If they could shrink that a bit, I think the style would fit the book perfectly.

Bendis's writing was, as usual on this title, outstanding. Out of over 130 issues, there are only 4 or five that I can pull out and say "this sucked" so its good to see it will continue going strong.
    As for the Peter-Gwen thing, after reading UCSM 1, I pulled out my USM trades and read through the scene where Gwen discovers that Peter is Spider-Man. In it she mentions how she would do anything for Peter since he's done so much just treating her as a friend. If you go back farther to her introduction, she calls him something like "this cute Parker boy" to her father when she is explaining why she pulled a knife on Kong to her father. In between those two issues, you have MJ breaking up with Peter because she couldn't stand that Gwen had moved into the Parker home. So yeah, I've always felt there were hints that Gwen had a little something for Peter, but didn't want to step on MJ's toes.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Look on the bright side, Ultimatum is already on my local comic shop's "50 cents" rack. You could get the whole thing super cheap now. Though I must say, I have never seen an issue transition to the "50 cents" rack so soon after being published.

I used to really like Jeph Loeb's work. I've re-read 'The Long Halloween' and 'Dark Victory' multiple times. But ever since his son died, his work has turned to shit. The only thing since his son's death that I've liked was the Fallen Son series.

I wish there was a way to contain him until he gets his act back together. He took great work by Pak (Hulk) and Millar (Ultimates) and just squatted over them. And now he's moving over to Buffy Season 8, which has been another one of my favorites. Yes, I love Joss Whedon. I make no apologies for this man-love.

I'm glad USM is surviving, it deserves to. I've also got some serious man-love for Bendis's work, and next to Powers, USM seems to be his favorite project. He's gotten some intriguing plot threads started, though the most interesting one to me is: What happened to the MJ/PP couple? At the very least, how come there's no KP/PP couple? I thought Kitty Pryde's relationship with Peter Parker was rather interesting. Though who knows, maybe the next couple will be KP/JD (Kitty Pryde/Jessica Drew).

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, gotta say, I loved the new USM. Loved it.

The art is still going to take some getting used to. I hope it gets tweeked as we go along, but it's comforting to know that as different as the art was, it didn't make the story any less enjoyable.

As someone who loves Gwen more then MJ or Kitty, I honestly loved the surprise in this issue. However, I know there is way more to this then meets the eye.

I'm not sure how I feel about killing off
    the Kingpin

But I do think I'm going to have to get over my Mysterio as incompetent buffoon from the 616 universe to truly get in the spirit of this one.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    cshadow42 wrote: »

Look on the bright side, Ultimatum is already on my local comic shop's "50 cents" rack. You could get the whole thing super cheap now. Though I must say, I have never seen an issue transition to the "50 cents" rack so soon after being published.

Everything I read on the Web says this about Ultimatum, but for some reason the whole thing was ridiculously popular at my LCS, and I can't figure out why. My current theory is that everyone who shops at my LCS are surfers, and Ultimatum had a big wave.

Hensler on
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So is it now "UCSM" not "USM?" UCSM 1 had me feeling a lot of relief. First off (requiem #2 spoiler)
    Peter is NOT dead- that would have probably been a deal breaker
    And second: it has a "where are they now" feeling to it. I will stick around to read WHY
    MJ and Peter are not together now.
    I hope to see more emotion over the tragedy.... I mean a lot of Peter's close allies and friends are DEAD. #1 seemed a little light hearted.

Sharp10r on
    edited August 2009
    Sharp10r wrote: »
    I hope to see more emotion over the tragedy.... I mean a lot of Peter's close allies and friends are DEAD. #1 seemed a little light hearted.

I think that's another reason that the series is set 6 months later. Sure, it still sucks, but that long after the deaths, Peter's life isn't going to be a crying-emo fest.

Hensler on
    edited August 2009
    About UCSM being light-hearted, I think it needs to be after Ultimatum. Plus it's 6 months after the event so I'd say all the heavy emotions been spent. It would be nice to see Kitty reflect on Wolverine once and a while though.

wirehead26 on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    None of Peter's friends are dead. DD hated his guts, Dr Strange was some flakey TV person that he just found out had magic, he's met the X-Men like twice and Kitty and maybe Iceman are the only ones he has any real relationship with, both of which are alive adn well. I guess he could feel bad, but I can't recall anyone he knows having died during Ultimatum. 6 months should be more than enough, especially for someone thats been just as much bad shit during the last 133 issues.

KVW on
    edited August 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    It would be nice to see Kitty reflect on Wolverine once and a while though.

Even the characters in the book realize that there is no way Wolverine is going to stay dead :D

Hensler on
    edited August 2009
    KVW wrote: »
    None of Peter's friends are dead. DD hated his guts, Dr Strange was some flakey TV person that he just found out had magic, he's met the X-Men like twice and Kitty and maybe Iceman are the only ones he has any real relationship with, both of which are alive adn well. I guess he could feel bad, but I can't recall anyone he knows having died during Ultimatum. 6 months should be more than enough, especially for someone thats been just as much bad shit during the last 133 issues.

There's no way he doesn't know people who died during Ultimatum. Most of the kids from his high school should be dead. The trauma that comes from witnessing all that destruction firsthand should have fucked him up pretty righteously too.

On the other hand, I don't exactly want the series to dwell on Ultimatum, so I really don't care.

Robos A Go Go on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's because everyone loves Spidey now that he doesn't feel like crap. Yeah, people died during the event (do not think about the event!), but they also realized not to shoot at him when he would help out.

And above all else, please remain indoors.

TexiKen on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    You guys know that's not Ultimate Hood right

It's this dude

Me Too! on
    edited August 2009
    I knew Ultimate Shroud was set to appear, but somehow I didn't make the connection.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2009
    This Ultimate Hood/Shroud guy is going to be Wolverine.

Hensler on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What's the difference between Shroud and Cloak?

Fencingsax on
    edited August 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    What's the difference between Shroud and Cloak?

Couldn't use it for teleportation

It was basically a visual thing

Versus Cloak's whole teleportation gateway contained in a cloak and Darkhawk's shooting lasers

All of which utilized the Darkforce

Me Too! on
    edited August 2009
    I really hope it isn't Wolverine. In the Ultimate universe I actually want "Dead means dead".

wirehead26 on
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Good point on the 6 month hiatus. As for dead friends: Wolverine and him had an interesting enough relationship, that I think he'd be affected. Though...like Hensler said...

Sharp10r on
    edited August 2009
    It's not Wolverine because

A) Are you fucking kidding me or do you seriously think Bendis would do that

and

B)
    Our Shroud is someone you've seen. They're a survivor of 'Ultimatum' who for some reason feels they can't show their face anymore

The survivor part rules him out

Me Too! on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    or does it

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009
    We saw his blasted, charred skeleton lying on the ground after Magneto ripped the adamantium off it

So yeah I am

Plus it's just a fucking retarded idea to begin with

Me Too! on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    No, TLB, it doesn't. Wiggan knows what's up.

Him being Wolverine is Dumb City.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The Gwen and Peter kiss left a bad taste in my mouth. Didn't feel right.

I think it ruined the whole issue for me. I didn't think I liked MJs character that much, but I guess I did.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wolverine to be Ultimate Ghost Rider

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ultimate Jean Grey to become Ultimate Blackwulf

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog