As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] HandHeld Tournies VHAT DO YOU VHANT?!

ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge ManagerSeattleRegistered User regular
edited August 2009 in PAX Archive
No, really. We are bringing back tournies for handheld separate from DTS shenanigans. What would you like to see for choices?

Slated lest I lose my head:
Mario Kart DS
Tetris of some flavor

DS:

PSP:

iPod/Phone:

A Puzzle Game Bonanza has also been suggested.
Thoughts please! Danke.

Scoots on

• DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've always been a big fan of Ouendan for the DS. Though I'm not sure if that is applicable here.

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • DiscoGobboDiscoGobbo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For the 10 other people with PSPs, Final Fantasy Dissidia comes out the week before PAX and has 1 on 1 multiplayer.
    Patapon 2 also has multiplayer.

DiscoGobbo on
    PSN ID : DiscoGobbo.
    Warrior | Mage
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DiscoGobbo wrote: »
    For the 10 other people with PSPs, Final Fantasy Dissidia comes out the week before PAX and has 1 on 1 multiplayer.
    Patapon 2 also has multiplayer.

Woot! So, there be two folks on the PSP list!

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DaNerd wrote: »
    I've always been a big fan of Ouendan for the DS. Though I'm not sure if that is applicable here.

I'll second a vote for Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents. Only other one I'd be liable to join is Tetris (mostly because I suck at all other games :D)

tr0tsky on
  • TriftonTrifton Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    There should SO be a Poke'mon tourny.

Trifton on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SKREEEEEEEEE
    20070328.jpg

SlickShughes on
  • ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It has been my experience that 1v1 game tournaments are incredibly boring and also take forever. Metroid Pinball, for instance, could not have ended soon enough. 1v1 FF could be fun though.

How would Patapon as a tourny work? Whomever survives the cute wins? :)
    AFAIK Puzzlequest is still preferable to Galactrix, yes?

Keep 'em coming kids!

Scoots on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bomberman

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Agents are GOOOOOOO!

:D

ACC3SS on
  • Dirk_GentlyDirk_Gently Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm with Scoots - Puzzle Quest is the bomb diggity.

Dirk_Gently on
  • Brex123Brex123 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What about a Tekken Dark Resurection tourney? I know there will most likely be a console one, but it could work as a handheld choice as well.

I also second ACC3SS' motion of an Elite Beat Agents tourney as well.

Brex123 on
  • FysaiFysai Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The World Ends with You's Tin Pin Slammer on DS? '_' Iunno.

I'm for the Tetris. That game is teh pwn. :'D

I'm also for the Pokemon Tournament. Although, THAT could take awhile. ;-;
    I'm braindead so I can't think of any others.

You know what else would take awhile? Advance Wars. (Days of Ruin or Dual Strike either or, then again Dual Strike's four player battle could actually go faster perhaps. But then again it's four people going instead of just two. '-')

Also for PSP, definately FF Dissidia.

Fysai on
    niafan.png
  • The DermThe Derm Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dual Strike Combat mode takes no time at all.
    It would also allow for a team tourney (2v2v2v2) where only 1 body needs to have the actual game (which is good seeing as how that cart can be hard to come by)

The Derm on
    Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position
    Such a heavy burden now to be the one
    Born to bare and read to all the details of our ending
    To write it down for all the world to see
    But I forgot my pen...
  • tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I would like to second ze pokemon tourney =D We must determin who is the PAX Pokemon Master!

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • BobbyjklBobbyjkl Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm FOURTHING Pokemon.

Heheheh. I'm EV training and IV training 'till then. How will we make sure someone hasn't Action Replay-ed or whatever, though? :/ But POKEMON FO SHO!

Bobbyjkl on
    ness cosplayer
    tf2_sig.png
  • zombiebotzombiebot Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Puzzlequest (the first) would rule. Would level 50 chars be required?

I'm also excited about Elite Beat Agents.

zombiebot on
    Chelseabot, fell victim Quake III, aka "Girl Killer" in 2007.
  • tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Bobbyjkl wrote: »
    I'm FOURTHING Pokemon.

Heheheh. I'm EV training and IV training 'till then. How will we make sure someone hasn't Action Replay-ed or whatever, though? :/ But POKEMON FO SHO!

I'm attempting to EV train but I hate it :( I'm sticking with the Ash Ketchum School of Pokemon Training (aka, lots of yelling and flailing about with a healthy dose of LUV)

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
    edited July 2009
    Just a quick question:

I have an M3 for my DS that I use (instead of piles of easy-to-lose cartridges) for all my games. Would I be able to use that for any DS tourneys? If there is a possible cheating issue, I will allow anyone to look over it in all ways to ensure that I have no cheats on. I don't usually use cheat anyways, but there was an option in New Super Mario Bros. to make the player character act like paper mario (flipping over instead of turning around ect.) that I had to use for the awesomeness.

Brex123 on
  • Firestorm88Firestorm88 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If there's WiFi I'd love to do Pokemon. Regular local wireless has no option to auto level them to 100 =(

Firestorm88 on
  • ShigglesShiggles Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Scoots wrote: »
    No, really. We are bringing back tournies for handheld separate from DTS shenanigans. What would you like to see for choices?

Slated lest I lose my head:
    Mario Kart DS
    Tetris of some flavor

DS:

PSP:

iPod/Phone:

A Puzzle Game Bonanza has also been suggested.
    Thoughts please! Danke.

Not sure about PSP games yet, but I concur pokemans & tetris for the ds. :)

Shiggles on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If there's WiFi I'd love to do Pokemon. Regular local wireless has no option to auto level them to 100 =(

I have a sneaking suspicion any WiFi access points are going to be seriously overloaded :)

Wormdundee on
  • GilmorneGilmorne Code Monkey ConnecticutRegistered User new member
    edited July 2009
    I don't know if you're looking for current games, but for the PSP, either GTA Game has some decent ad-hoc multiplayer, and Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters does too. There was a Wipeout: Pulse tourney at the Sony meet-up last year, which worked out OK.

Gilmorne on
    edited July 2009
    I do believe CosmicRay and I have a set list. Should be fun times, especially later in the evening.

Thanks for all your help :D

Scoots on
  • IcedhopeIcedhope Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Trifton wrote: »
    There should SO be a Poke'mon tourny.
    Thats would be amazing, and I would so do it.

Icedhope on
    Look! Another ReMake!
  • darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Guys, stop planning fun! There won't be enough time for to play all these games!

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • automaticjimautomaticjim Tampa, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I plan on bringing along my DS which games should I be packin'? :mrgreen:

automaticjim on

See you at PAX Prime!
    Twitter - Automaticjim
    Steam - Outbreak

If you’re winning, play safe and keep the game clean and simple. If you are losing, take risks and complicate the game.
  • BrillyanceBrillyance Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    For PSP GTA would definately be a good choice. SOCOM, or Syphon Filter.

Brillyance on
  • Blackfox138Blackfox138 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I like the idea of a Pokemon tourny.

In past tournaments, PBR on the Wii has been used, not only to make stuff the same level, but also to weed out the bad hacks... >.> Just a thought. Kinda kicks it out of the "handheld" realm though.

Blackfox138 on
  • OrrOrr Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm game for a psp tourney of some kind... Worms or Worms 2 would be a fantastic choice. And dissidia sounds like a great idea.

Orr on
  • h4mx0rh4mx0r Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wipeout Pure/Pulse for PSP! :O

h4mx0r on
  • mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, this Pokemon tournament listed in the schedule...

What the house rules? Level caps? Scaling? Banned items/pokeymanz?

I desire to be the very best, you see.

Like no one ever was.

mrsnackroad on
  • KevinDDRKevinDDR Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    Please have a Tetris DS tournament. That's all.

KevinDDR on
  • NovaFlaresNovaFlares Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pokemon Tourney!!!! that would kickass. If we do have one we should ban all ubers by Smogon's list and just go from there.

NovaFlares on
  • mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    For those of you who haven't seen yet, the official PAX schedules went up-

http://www.paxsite.com/schedule.pdf

Scroll down to page two to see the confirmed tournaments, but for those behind filters:

Friday: Puzzle Quest (1 PM - 5 PM), Mario Kart (midnight to 2 AM)

Saturday: Tetris (11 AM - 3 PM), FF: Dissidia (4 PM - 6 PM), The World Ends With You (Ten Pin Slammer?) (8 PM - 11 PM), Mario Kart (midnight - 3 AM)

Sunday: Pokemon (11 AM - 4 PM)

So! Rule sets, please?

mrsnackroad on
    edited August 2009
    For those of you who haven't seen yet, the official PAX schedules went up-

http://www.paxsite.com/schedule.pdf

Scroll down to page two to see the confirmed tournaments, but for those behind filters:

Friday: Puzzle Quest (1 PM - 5 PM), Mario Kart (midnight to 2 AM)

Saturday: Tetris (11 AM - 3 PM), FF: Dissidia (4 PM - 6 PM), The World Ends With You (Ten Pin Slammer?) (8 PM - 11 PM), Mario Kart (midnight - 3 AM)

Sunday: Pokemon (11 AM - 4 PM)

So! Rule sets, please?

If there are no rule sets set out by the people running it. I would like to put out a couple of suggestions for the rules.

Mario Kart: All tracks should be allowed, as for all characters in an 8 man race. The tracks should be picked at random to reduce any argument time over the track choice. Top 4 should move on to the next round. As for Snaking (swerving back and forth to have a constant power slide turbo) I would advise that that should not be allowed, as it is a bit cheap.

Tetris: It should be a standard game. As for 2 or 4 players, it does not matter, but that should be posted ahead of time, as the game changes a lot when going with 4 players.

WEWY: Whatever you have in your inventory is allowed. If you do not have all of the inventory slots, then you should be working on fixing that before PAX.

Hopefully people agree with me on these, and if there are official rules that I may have missed looking at, disregard this post.

Brex123 on
    edited August 2009
    Snaking has always been frowned upon. Enough so that we've re-run races in the past because someone couldn't keep the douchery to a minimum.

More on tournament rules later :) Life has been getting in the way the last couple weeks.

Scoots on
    edited August 2009
    Fuck yeah Puzzle Quest! I'm going to have to dust off my old cart and make sure I got around to maxing my mount's level.

SlickShughes on
  • FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

In past tournaments, PBR on the Wii has been used, not only to make stuff the same level, but also to weed out the bad hacks... >.> Just a thought. Kinda kicks it out of the "handheld" realm though.

I kinda think it should still be on PBR. That way people can actually spectate. It's still handheld (it's all being drawn directly from your DS), but you see it on TV.

Also, if PBR is used, it'll have to be done in a seperate room away from other Wii so there aren't any synching issues (either for the DS or the Wii Remotes). I can't remember if we did this at PAX or at Sakura Con last year or the year before, but we had major synching issues. Moving to a seperate room reduced the interference and it went smoothly after that.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
    edited August 2009
    Ferquin wrote: »

I kinda think it should still be on PBR. That way people can actually spectate. It's still handheld (it's all being drawn directly from your DS), but you see it on TV.

Also, if PBR is used, it'll have to be done in a seperate room away from other Wii so there aren't any synching issues (either for the DS or the Wii Remotes). I can't remember if we did this at PAX or at Sakura Con last year or the year before, but we had major synching issues. Moving to a seperate room reduced the interference and it went smoothly after that.

PabstBlueRibbon.jpg?
    Just kidding

SlickShughes on
  • mtjimmermtjimmer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pokemon OP ran a tournament series earlier this year - we could use their format. http://www.pokemonvgc.com/en/rules/rrg.html

I'm not suggesting that it's perfect, but it beats hashing out customized rules every time.

mtjimmer on
    3DS: 4940-5610-9523; Pokemon Safari: [Poison] Gloom, Ariados, Whirlipede
This discussion has been closed.