As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me out. Laptop and Desktop recommendations.

Optimal TuckerOptimal Tucker Registered User regular
Alright. So I'm a nursing student and gamer. My desktop is old. Probably nothing really salvagable in it.

I would like a desktop capable of playing Champions online, APB, on maxed out settings. Somewhat futureproof.

I would like a laptop with great battery life mainly just to goof on web. Microsoft office. School oriented activity.

I remember pc mag? pc gamer? having a three tiered for building your own? but havent found it easily. And probably don't have the time or effort to build my own easily. I used to be a big supporter of ABS computers. They were a small competitive company, but looking at them recently shows they've moved into that 3k+ range of "power" builders.

Any suggestions/links would be appreciated.

Optimal Tucker on

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I made this for a friend of mine, he's on an $800 budget, so if need be, you can add/remove stuff from there, like a quad-core for example.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Laptop (netbook)- Asus Eee 1005HA
    no contest

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Optimal TuckerOptimal Tucker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply. The laptop is pretty on target for what I'm looking at. BUT how long is microsoft planning support for XP could this hamper me in the long run?

My budget is around 800-1000 for the pc...misght prefer it be be a bit lower. I might like perks like a pretty wireless keyboard mouse combo, but I'm not in need of them.

I have an old Aiwa surround stereo with optical in and a 24in widescreen dell monitor. I guess my priorities are gaming on the desktop. I would love to see some comparisons to nvidia veruses ATI and Intel vs AMD chipsets of the moment.

Optimal Tucker on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The setup was catering to my buddy, but it gives something to start off :)

Regarding XP, MS will continue to support it for a long time I believe since XP is still supposed to be the most widely used OS right now.

Intel CPU's are superior to AMD when it comes to gaming, but they're a bit more expensive. As for Nvidia Vs. ATI, Nvidia cards have the upper hand in performance, specially with the new Physx implementation. However, a card from ATI that performs just as well as it's Nvidia counterpart will cost much less.

I run an Intel C2D 3.0 Ghz (Clocked to 3.6) and a Radeon HD4850. It's a high-mid-range card, but I can still run all current games on HIGH.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply. The laptop is pretty on target for what I'm looking at. BUT how long is microsoft planning support for XP could this hamper me in the long run?

My budget is around 800-1000 for the pc...misght prefer it be be a bit lower. I might like perks like a pretty wireless keyboard mouse combo, but I'm not in need of them.

I have an old Aiwa surround stereo with optical in and a 24in widescreen dell monitor. I guess my priorities are gaming on the desktop. I would love to see some comparisons to nvidia veruses ATI and Intel vs AMD chipsets of the moment.

You could also upgrade to MS 7 when it hits, or just go with Linux (which is brilliantly easy to use).

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!