As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chrono Trigger] The black wind howls...

• Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Wait...was that Lucca thing ever confirmed? I remember something about a time distortion or some crap.

You mean Lucca
    dying
    in CC? Yes.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait...was that Lucca thing ever confirmed? I remember something about a time distortion or some crap.

I think there was a (End spoilers for CC/CT)
    massive cop-out at the end, depending on the ending you get in CC, where they basically go "olol everything's back to normal, and the original cast is alive".

Take that with a grain of salt, however. I remember reading it on a wikipedia page somewhere.

Archonex on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

You mean Lucca
    dying
    in CC? Yes.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Dragkonias on
    edited August 2009
    I don't remember any ending being like that in Chrono Cross.

Dragkonias:
    Lucca is killed in the Orphanage by Lynx when he raids it looking for Kid.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I do. Broke a pad because of it.
    Nobody fucks with my CT characters!

Morvidus on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Green wrote: »
    I bought CT a few weeks ago since I've never played it before

This game nearly destroyed my life

How so?

I have classes that start at 10AM, while I was up until at least 4AM every night for about a week after getting it

Just one more Double Tech before bed

Green on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Though I did manage to find the "Hardest Ending" completely by accident, which was pretty hilarious

"oh hey the telepod has something in it, did I miss a capsule or somethiOHHHHH SHIIIIIIIT"

Green on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I bought CT a few weeks ago since I've never played it before

This game nearly destroyed my life

How so?

I have classes that start at 10AM, while I was up until at least 4AM every night for about a week after getting it

Just one more Double Tech before bed

That's like, 5 hours of sleep. I usually only get 6 a night....

Wimp...

I never really obsessed over getting all the techs. I pretty much just went with the flow.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    edited August 2009
    Morvidus wrote: »
    I do. Broke a pad because of it.
    Nobody fucks with my CT characters!

Which ending in CC was it?

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    In New Game+ in CT when a character leaves with equipment do they come back with that same stuff?

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    In New Game+ in CT when a character leaves with equipment do they come back with that same stuff?

Yes, they do.

Peewi on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I bought this the other day used at Gamestop for about 17 bucks. And I have to say I feel ashamed for not playing it sooner. Frog is probably one of my new favorite characters in a video game. The way he left the castle and his theme started playing was epic.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is on clearance at Toys R Us for $10 but I'll be damned if I can find any copies. :(

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So the only ending I have left to get is the second one. Which is the

(Late-game spoilers)
    Kill Lavos before reviving Crono

Ending.

Am I crazy to think maybe they could have tried making the ending log, uh, have the endings instead of a single picture of them? I mean, I know there's a couple variations with a couple of the endings, but come on.

My other gripe (well, one of them) with the remake is the stupid Arena.

In a game where NG+ is a pretty big freaking deal, one of the new things that they add is tied to your file, yet resets everytime you start a new game. I mean, after a certain point, I realize, you kind of stop NG+ing and maybe just start a new file, but at that point, you've probably NG+ed a few times. So you've realized that the Arena keeps resetting, so by that point, you're probably not interested in bothering.

It's not an important addition by any means, but the poor execution on top of that just makes me wonder why the hell they even bothered.

I mean, the base game is still there and still good. The story is there (mostly unmarred) and everything, so the game itself is still wonderful. But all the extra shit they shoved in (Most of it was shoved in for FF Chronicles, I realize, but especially the Dimensional Vortex and the Lost Goddamned Sanctum) just seems completely unnecessary and underthought.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    edited August 2009
    Wait, it's been a while since I've played, but can't you start a New Game+ on a new file, rather than overwriting your original one?

Cameron_Talley on
  • GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait, it's been a while since I've played, but can't you start a New Game+ on a new file, rather than overwriting your original one?
    You load a New Game + from an old save file, but once Crono exits his home, you can save that game in a brand new save slot. You don't have to overwrite your first, old, game slot.
    I'm currently on my third play through, just hitting up 1999AD every chance I can, for all the endings.

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I fired this up again and remembered a plot dilemma in Chrono Trigger that I never quite figured out, and I need an explanation.
    So you get the "cannon" ending at the end of the game and everything is hunky dory but... what is the original cause of the gates? In the robo/lucca sidequest in the forest they toss out a couple hypotheses, then just ignore that for the rest of the game. Did I just completely miss something or is it left totally unresolved?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited August 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    So I fired this up again and remembered a plot dilemma in Chrono Trigger that I never quite figured out, and I need an explanation.
    So you get the "cannon" ending at the end of the game and everything is hunky dory but... what is the original cause of the gates? In the robo/lucca sidequest in the forest they toss out a couple hypotheses, then just ignore that for the rest of the game. Did I just completely miss something or is it left totally unresolved?
    A Wizard Did it.

I don't think it's ever explained, nor does it need to be. It's like in Quantum Leap, you know....God or time or whatever you want to call it created the gates.

Cameron_Talley on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think it's left intentionally ambiguous.
    One of the biggest theories is that the planet is a living entity and it intentionally created the Gates knowing that Crono and co. would use them to save it.

But even that is hardly set in stone.

Duffel on
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I always thought
    that Lucca's teleporter, being by its very nature a bender of time and space, created the first gate as some sort of anomaly. Of course, when Marle got sucked into it, it set off a sequence of paradoxical shit that created increasing numbers of gates in a ripple effect.

Of course, that theory is mostly composed of bullshit, but it's time travel. :P

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I always thought
    that Lucca's teleporter, being by its very nature a bender of time and space, created the first gate as some sort of anomaly. Of course, when Marle got sucked into it, it set off a sequence of paradoxical shit that created increasing numbers of gates in a ripple effect.

She didn't create the first gate, IIRC the first one was the one that sent Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar across time.

Zek on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    see I was kinda hoping I had missed something and square hadn't escaped into
    The Planet Did It!

again. Ah well.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    I always thought

She didn't create the first gate, IIRC the first one was the one that sent Gaspar, Melchior and Balthasar across time.

the funny thing about time though, is that event b doesn't necessarily happen because of action a

so you could do something today

that could cause an effect 20 million years ago, you know?

Buttcleft on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Actually I always thought that the gates were caused by:
    Lavs, and that it's very existence causes temporal warps, hence why the final version has you flipping through time. Every period of time was signifigant to Lavos, well, except for 1000 ad, but the pendent reacted to create that gate, rather than just open an already existing one.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2009
    You guys do know that this is directly addressed in the game, right?
    After you leave Robo to be a farmer for 400 years, he's all "you know, I don't think the gates were created by Lavos, but by some kind of entity that wanted us to see all this shit."

And then at the end of the game, Lucca or Marle says "I think the entity that made the gates is at rest" or something.

Ambiguous, yes, but not that ambiguous. Or you can assume that the characters are just talking out their asses for the sake of it.

Besides, the Lavos theory breaks down with the gates to 1,000 AD and 990 AD.

Aroduc on
    edited August 2009
    how could that possibly be any more ambiguous?
    "hey guys something created the gates"

"who was it?"

"eh, who cares really"

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The time gates were made by Adlai Stevenson.

There. We're done forever.

YggiDee on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2009
    how could that possibly be any more ambiguous?
    "hey guys something created the gates"

"who was it?"

"eh, who cares really"

In that it eliminates the only thing in the game that could have done it. They're all but saying "Uh, yeah, God/Terra/The Planet/Zeus did it."

Aroduc on
    edited August 2009
    This helps:
    In the 11th Century, a scientist
    by the name of Lucca indicated the
    possibility of time travel through
    the use of a '"Time Egg,"' which
    utilizes miniature black holes.
    Whether this could actually be
    possible or not is still the
    subject of intense debate and
    no conclusions have been made.

According to her theory, by
    rotating a single point of
    supergravity, space-time
    continua can be drawn in...
    thus making it possible to
    transform that singular point
    which pulls in everything else,
    into a ring formation.
    Using this ring as a Gate
    between dimensions, it should
    be possible to travel back and
    forth between various space-time.

From Chrono Cross on the Gates.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I just started playing this on DS over the weekend for the first time. I love this thread but I need to not come in here. I can not resist the spoilers.

Great game though.

Spicy_Rev on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I finally picked this up last month and started playing it this weekend. The only version I'd played previously was the much-reviled one on the Final Fantasy Anthology. I wasn't too bothered by the issues in that version since I had never played the original, but I'll never be able to go back to it.

I don't think I'd made it too far when I was playing that version, but I've not made it to that point in the DS game yet. I'm in 600 AD with Robo and Lucca in my party and Marle hanging back in the End of Time.

SteevL on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »
    After you leave Robo to be a farmer for 400 years, he's all "you know, I don't think the gates were created by Lavos, but by some kind of entity that wanted us to see all this shit."

And then at the end of the game, Lucca or Marle says "I think the entity that made the gates is at rest" or something.

Ambiguous, yes, but not that ambiguous. Or you can assume that the characters are just talking out their asses for the sake of it.

I'm pretty sure they address this in no uncertain terms during the campfire scene
    When someone dies, they supposedly see their life flash before their eyes. "Mother Earth" is about to die because of lavos, so her life flashing before her eyes is manifesting itself in those portals, and you were meant to take them to see what happened, and perhaps to avert it.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yay, I got all the endings today.

I think I'm pretty done with the game now for a while. Because I honestly don't care enough to fill out the other things.

Though the Beastiary is nice for changing music when you come across certain bosses and certain fights. That was a nice little touch, I thought.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »

I'm pretty sure they address this in no uncertain terms during the campfire scene
    When someone dies, they supposedly see their life flash before their eyes. "Mother Earth" is about to die because of lavos, so her life flashing before her eyes is manifesting itself in those portals, and you were meant to take them to see what happened, and perhaps to avert it.
    Well they also preface that as another possible option and not a fact.

End result: Nobody really knows. The group had a couple of theories, but nothing is ever really confirmed. I actually kind of like that they leave it ambiguous like that, since in the end it doesn't really have all that much effect on the plot. Not like say the "What happened to Schala" question the original game used to have.

Although... Chrono Cross does put a spin on the "Mother Earth's life flashing before her eyes" theory. Doesn't the planet itself hate humanity?. I thought it was explained in game that the Reptite future is the one it likes the most. Especially since when Chronopolis gets shunted back to the past, the planet responds by sending Dinopolis back with it. So the planet hates humanity, why make the gates so humanity can save it?

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited August 2009
    The planet is pretty tired of humanity due to the events of Chrono Cross, and that event (Chronopolis being sent back) occurred way after the events of Chrono Trigger. It is only because of the meddling of Belthasar that the Earth hates people.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The planet is pretty tired of humanity due to the events of Chrono Cross, and that event (Chronopolis being sent back) occurred way after the events of Chrono Trigger. It is only because of the meddling of Belthasar that the Earth hates people.

I assumed that that excuse was the Reptites and the dragon gods self-serving excuse for their actions, "we hate the humans, and since we are on the side of the earth, the earth hates humans too."

I always expected that if there were another sequel, we would have a scene where the reptites and other "champions of the earth" would suffer a very serious wake-up call about their actions. Remember when Azala tried to destroy humanity with a Black Tyranno? Fate sided with the "apes." That alone should tell them what's going on. And this was before Lavos fell and "forcibly evolved" humanity (which strikes me as another self-serving lie).

Matthew on
    edited August 2009
    Fate only sides with the apes because the apes went back in time and mucked around with it, though

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I seem to recall a bit in Chrono Cross in Fort Dragonia IIRC where it goes on about humanity
    becoming "alien" once it had contact with Lavos. It was at this point that the planet "turned" against them. Of course, this is a possibly biased source so large grains of salt may be in order.

As for Wolfman's question about gate creation:
    I figure it's a case of "desperate times call for desperate measures" and "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" on the planet's part. Humans were the only thing available to save itself so they're the ones who get to use the gates. Although it would've been interesting to see a party of Reptites from 65,000,000 BC jumping around time in their own quest to stop Lavos...

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So in other words...
    We just saved the planet's continental ass. It fucking owes us, so it can damn well stop being a whiny bitch.

...OK, so we DID end up turning Lavos into a multidimensional unkillable being that's devouring the known time-space continuum. Nobody's perfect. Like the dinosaurs could have done better. :P

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So in other words...
    We just saved the planet's continental ass. It fucking owes us, so it can damn well stop being a whiny bitch.

...OK, so we DID end up turning Lavos into a multidimensional unkillable being that's devouring the known time-space continuum. Nobody's perfect. Like the dinosaurs could have done better. :P

It's not our fault.
    The planet just took 65,000,000 years to finally decide to let our heroes do something about it.

Morvidus on