As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ultimate Spider-Thread!

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think Cap's kid becoming a white supremacist makes a kind of sense. Cap himself would be an icon for those people, hailing as he does from a simpler, nobler era of segregation and solving problems with violence.

Robos A Go Go on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Since this is Millar I'm surprised he hasn't made Cap himself a white supremacist, or made it where every American has a nazi gene that will turn them into Red Skulls.

TexiKen on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm willing to give it a chance, but Ultimates has never had a lot of leeway with me. The fact is, there was nothing really redeeming about any of them, and that made it hard to get behind.

Hell, I loved Fury in USM, and hated him in Ultimates. So, I'll try it and hope for the best.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Up until Ultimates 3, wasn't Hawkeye a likeable person? As in, he did his job, but still cared for his family and stuff until they were murdered? I remember reading a page in vol. 1 where he always called his family to talk to them before he would go on a mission.

TexiKen on
    edited August 2009
    Thor, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Janet, and Tony weren't bad either, I thought.

Robos A Go Go on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    no Pietro and Wanda were always creepy incestuous jerks

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You can't prove that!

I actually liked Quicksilver and Wanda.

"Nope, I saved you. Check the cameras. Saved you."

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thor was always great.

Hensler on
    edited August 2009
    I'm convinced they weren't actually sleeping together until Loeb came along. I could have sworn there was a line of dialogue confirming this, like immediately before the team takes down Thor.

Robos A Go Go on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ringo wrote: »
    I am pro-demeaning women, I guess, is what I am saying

Though dames is pretty inoffensive in my eyes, if TLB likes it you know there's something wrong

Dames is only offensive when they get too sassy, and then it's bang, zoom, right to the moon.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    In Ultimate Origins, young-Steve Rogers was complaining about not wanting to work in the factory with the dames, which is what I was thinking of. Bendis did the 1930s dialogue really well, but then again, Bendis does dialogue really well in general. Miller's dialogue is kind of meh. You can swap all the speech bubbles in a given Miller-scene and it'd probably run coherently - still seems like the same guy talking.
    DeJesus wrote: »
    I'm glad cap isn't an all gollygee boyscout. i think if he was a war hero who was constantly in the midst of it, he'd have to be a bad ass, and guys in the army would respect a bad ass. My biiggest problem with UA was the ending.
    red skull is caps kid. come on! how corny and overused is this chestnut? i would have rather red skull was ultimate caps bucky? or how about japanese from nagasaki? how about thw only succesful supe soldier from the nazi's program? anything other than caps kid really would have been better.

Reverse-Star Wars is sort of exactly what I expect from Millar at this point.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm not usually into Ultimate Marvel myself but my friend showed me his Ultimate Spider-man (during the Clone Saga, <3 Jessica Drew) and Ultimates 1 & 2 so I'm thinking of picking up a few titles myself. I heard there's an Ultimates 3 out now and something called Ultimatum so I figure I'll start there.

Anyone have anymore recommendations to get caught up before I get into the new Ultimate Spidey line?

Glyph on
    edited August 2009
    those are bad places to start

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    Honestly, you might as well read the entirety of the old Ultimate Spider-Man line. If you want to read a good comic book series about Spider-Man, there's no reason not to go there first.

If you just want to pick up a new title every month, though, you could easily just start from Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2009
    Honestly, you might as well read the entirety of the old Ultimate Spider-Man line. If you want to read a good comic book series about Spider-Man, there's no reason not to go there first.

If you just want to pick up a new title every month, though, you could easily just start from Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1.

Already picked that up, just curious what happened in between that and the clone arc. I assume Ultimatum explains why Parker is with Gwen now.

Glyph on
    edited August 2009
    Glyph wrote: »

Already picked that up, just curious what happened in between that and the clone arc. I assume Ultimatum explains why Parker is with Gwen now.

It does not.

Future issues of USM or whatever it's called now may explain it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited August 2009
    the new USM series takes place quite a while after Ultimatum

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    the new USM series takes place quite a while after Ultimatum

And seriously, it's not like Pete and MJ haven't broken up before...

part of me still thinks that
    Peter might be under the control of the nightmare demon

because you never know...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Honestly, Ultimate Spider-Man is good enough that it's worth reading from the beginning.

There's enough collections of it you could probably buy the first year of issues in one go.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm convinced they weren't actually sleeping together until Loeb came along. I could have sworn there was a line of dialogue confirming this, like immediately before the team takes down Thor.

I don't remember any dialogue saying they were or weren't

But it was implied in the least subtle ways that they were

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2009
    it was also implied in thier UXM appearances I believe, which of course were also written by Millar

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

oh god please stop looking for reasons to read ultimatum.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pietro and Wanda have always (always) had creepy incestuous subtext to them.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ultimatum is awful

But hilariously so

I am totally buying the trade

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I rarely find things "hilariously awful"

I think I'd just be like, wow why did I buy this

why

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited August 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Pietro and Wanda have always (always) had creepy incestuous subtext to them.

I noticed this in Ultimates 2, but it always seemed fairly subtle or tongue-in-cheek. For all we know, they could just be really pretentious Eurotrash. I have heard one of the writers (Loeb?) made it a little more blatant in subsequent issues though.

Glyph on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have a very high sense of schadenfreude

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009
    I think it was intended by Millar to be nothing but a running joke on their relationship in the 616 universe, although it was certainly never subtle.

But yeah, Loeb decided he wanted to make it a plot point.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Exhibit 175 in why Loeb should not be allowed to write comics.

BostonGangler on
  • DeJesusDeJesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

These have very little to do with spidey per se but The first ult Iron man mini was pretty awesome. and while it took too long, I think i liked ultimate galactus and the build up minis. ult power was also good enough to read.

Now on to the bitching. Man ultimatum was a bag of crap. IF that many charchters were going to die, why couldn't it have been done in an interesting read. I really wish we could have started this new spidey book without lost flashbacks for exposition, but i'm guessing thats whats going to happen.

DeJesus on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd say Ultimates 1 & 2, Ultimate Galactus trilogy, and Ultimate Origins are a good place to start with getting into the Ultimate universe. If you have the money to spend I'd also say all 22 volumes of Ultimate Spider-man are worth picking up. As for UXM and UFF, I liked all of UFF but it's not required reading or anything, and I stopped reading UXM after volume 13 but I thought it ranged from OK to great up to that point.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited August 2009
    I did not like Ultimate Galactus at all.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    Buy all of Ultimate Spider-Man, Ultimate X-Men up to and including Magnetic North (and then never touch it ever again oh god it's awful), Ultimates 1 & 2, and...someone else can recommend UFF I stopped around the retarded zombie shit.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited August 2009
    I liked the zombie storyline!

Really UFF is never great but it's "pretty good" for almost all of it's run.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    I enjoyed the zombie arc too.

Personally, I stopped reading when Reed's sister got powers. I just lost interest.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2009
    I think it was the combination of Land art and the really, really, amazing level of stupidity from people just to move the plot along that made me stop.
    Zombie Reed: I have a pen. It is clearly just a normal pen, but I'm going to tell you that I used a paper clip to turn it into a teleportation pen.
    Guard: That's -- uh -- that's just a pen!
    Zombie Reed: No, no. Teleportation pen. Now, I'm going to use it and you'll see.
    [Zombie Reed clicks the pen. Zombie Reed, Zombie Torch, Zombie Thing and Zombie INVISIBLE FUCKING WOMAN disappear]
    Guard: -- oh shits let me run into the cell!
    Blackjack: ...you're kidding right?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited August 2009
    Real life guards have made stupider mistakes.

Robos A Go Go on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pretty much any Ultimate book by Bendis, Millar, and Ellis will range from good to great. That reminds me, Ultimate Human is another good miniseries focusing on Hulk and Iron Man so I'd add that to my first-time Ultimate readers list.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited August 2009
    To share my thoughts on Ultimate Human I'd have to go to the bitching thread.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you worked at the Baxter Building and saw fucking zombies from another dimension and the smartest man on the planet's alternate self tells you he madea pen into a teleportation device froma paperclip, you'd believe it too.

KVW on