As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MISC] Pre-Pre-PAX Events in Vancouver BC:

• SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Edit: And before I forget... For the currently listed events we're getting pretty close to the time when we need to finalize reservations. So if you have RSVP'd and are bringing a +1 to any of these events, let us know. Also if you are lurking, have not RVSP'd and intend to attend also let us know.

I always have a +1. It's kinda like having an extra limb.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Sumi wrote: »

Edit: And before I forget... For the currently listed events we're getting pretty close to the time when we need to finalize reservations. So if you have RSVP'd and are bringing a +1 to any of these events, let us know. Also if you are lurking, have not RVSP'd and intend to attend also let us know.

I always have a +1. It's kinda like having an extra limb.

Limb :winky:

parabola on
  • ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Since this thread was re-labeled as [MISC] instead of [PRIME] I guess it should be used for a quick discussion of Pre-PAX East events in Vancouver at some point. I'm more than happy to put together a PAX FTW! (FOR THE WINGS) NIGHT 2.5 on Tuesday March 23rd and perhaps a dinner gathering for any PAX-Easters (would it be too much of a lame pun to do dinner at Boston Pizza? :winky:).

I'm just a little curious if there will be a demand for such events. Any PAXers would be welcome, whether travelling to PAX East or just wellwishers who wanted an excuse to log off XBL for a few hours. I know of three Vancouverites going (including myself) just seeing if there are any more.

Chances are slim to none that I'll be going to PAX East, but I'll gladly attend any event!

ACC3SS on
  • AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    ACC3SS wrote: »
    Since this thread was re-labeled as [MISC] instead of [PRIME] I guess it should be used for a quick discussion of Pre-PAX East events in Vancouver at some point. I'm more than happy to put together a PAX FTW! (FOR THE WINGS) NIGHT 2.5 on Tuesday March 23rd and perhaps a dinner gathering for any PAX-Easters (would it be too much of a lame pun to do dinner at Boston Pizza? :winky:).

I'm just a little curious if there will be a demand for such events. Any PAXers would be welcome, whether travelling to PAX East or just wellwishers who wanted an excuse to log off XBL for a few hours. I know of three Vancouverites going (including myself) just seeing if there are any more.

Chances are slim to none that I'll be going to PAX East, but I'll gladly attend any event!

Yeah I'm thinking there may just be three of us (off the forums anyway) that will be venturing east in March.... but its a good excuse for everyone to get out and meet up. At the very least we can celebrate the Olympics being over as well.

So I think I have sorted through all the posts and now have everyone added to the appropriate event lists in the OP. Just waiting on Captain Indecisive :P and any lurkers. With that we should have some pretty good sized events happening.

Upon further review I have also learned that 2K Games has lame marketing promos and taken note that in the future I am required to call Sumi before venturing into Abbotsford. :winky:

Let me know if I missed anything else.

AbsintheMinded on
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well I've kinda been lurking, but as I said before, I should be able to determine which events I can come to by tonight/tomorrow once I have time to look at my schedule.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • CeldaCelda Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey guys, Celda here. I went to PAX last year, came to one of the Pre-Pax events, roomed with ACC3SS and David (forgot his username). I remember meeting Badlcuk, Trotsky, Sumi, and some others.

This year I am going to Bumbershoot instead of PAX (I know, I know). However, I need to leave on Sunday, since I need to be back in town by Monday morning. Is anyone driving and has an empty spot in the car? Of course I would be willing to chip in for gas.

Ideally, you'd be checking out Seattle until late Sunday night (Jason Mraz goes on stage Sunday night at 9:30pm) but of course I am flexible (after all, you are doing me a favour).

I might come to a couple of the Pre-PAX events as well (Laser Tag, Gaming Night)

And if this is the wrong thread to be posting in looking for a ride, please let me know where I should be posting. Thanks!

Celda on
    edited August 2009
    The Canadian Supertrip Thread has all the carpools.

I think most of us are going to be coming back on Monday, but you might have some luck there.

But this IS the right thread for signing up for Pre-PAX events. Let us know if you shift from tentative to confirmed and I'll add you to the lists.

AbsintheMinded on
  • CeldaCelda Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Thanks Absinthe, just did that!

Celda on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'll probably have a +1 for Jimz/Dinner/PAX FTW

tr0tsky on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    can you add me for PAX FTW +2 ?

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm wondering if there's anything going on Monday? I'll be busing back to Vancouver but because of schedules and prices couldn't get a plane out until Tuesday morning, so not sure what I'm going to be doing in the meantime.

Asiina on
    edited August 2009
    Asiina wrote: »
    I'm wondering if there's anything going on Monday? I'll be busing back to Vancouver but because of schedules and prices couldn't get a plane out until Tuesday morning, so not sure what I'm going to be doing in the meantime.

It's hard to say because people go back at different times. I won't be getting back into Vancouver until like 8pm. Maybe a movie or something but I'll probably just want to pass out at that point.

tr0tsky on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Same here, no doubt. I may take the opportunity to look around Seattle a little. Not sure if I should get a hotel in Vancouver and just lounge around or hobo it up at the airport.

Asiina on
    edited August 2009
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    I'll probably have a +1 for Jimz/Dinner/PAX FTW

That's a good point you probably didn't intend to make (or did you? :winky:). We really need to lock down the dinner event.

Dinner Event:

A few pages back I listed off a series of buffet places we could try (which I'll repost here) but if anyone has a preference or an alternative restaurant they want to reccommend let me know:

So far I've found a couple options for places that serve unlimited quantities of food at a set price.
    (1) New India Buffet & Restaurant: 805 West Broadway, Vancouver ($15 range)
    (2) Tomokazu Japanese Restaurant: 201-1128 West Broadway, Vancouver ($25 range)
    (3) Davie Mongolian BBQ: 1161 Davie Street, Vancouver ($15 range)
    (4) Seoul House Korean Restaurant: 1215 West Broadway, Vancouver (Sundays 12-4, $15 dollar range)

For the date it was originally scheduled for Sunday August 30th. Since the FTW night is also that week I'd like to take advantage of the fact that no one has signed up for the dinner yet and further space out the food events. We will be moving the Dinner event to Sunday August 23rd and using it to replace the Pitch and Putt day.

The Pitch and Putt event has, fizzled out, so unless Worm, (the only person that signed up other than myself and tr0tsky) really wants us to go golfing, it's probably time to put that event to sleep and replace it with something a larger group wants to attend. We do still have mini-putt on Saturday the 22nd.

LF Raid Group: Abbotsford

For Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th, we will now have open spots in the schedule. Since Sumi is so awesome to come in from Abbotsford for everything and since b0wser (the CSTs fearless leader) hasn't signed up for any of our events I'd like to take the party out to them for at least one night.

So once again I'll propose a trip to Castle Fun Park on Saturday the 29th. For mini-putt, pool, go-karts or whatever interests you. We'll need some awesome volunteers to offer to drive any vehicleless Vancouverites out there (for a share of gas money of course). They are open until midnight every night so we'd probably be looking at something like 8pm to midnight. We could get a round of minigolf in and still have enough time for me to beat all of you at pool a couple times each.

And before anyone gripes:
    (1) Yes their mini-putt is tacky, it's supposed to be.
    (2) Yes the arcade sucks, but we get an awesome video game night on Friday at Jims, so we aren't going for the arcade.
    (3) No the pool tables aren't uneven, I'm just that much better than you. :P

AbsintheMinded on
    edited August 2009
    Me likey.

Sumi on
    edited August 2009
    I vote for Mongolian BBQ.

As far as Castle Fun Park, I'd be down for that. Can probably be convinced to drive (space for 6 others if we squish) as well.

tr0tsky on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm up for any of the restrauntss and the Castle Fun Park if I can find a ride down.

parabola on
    edited August 2009
    I vote for Mongolian BBQ.

That place does sound pretty good, never been to it but have heard good things.
    Can probably be convinced to drive (space for 6 others if we squish) as well.

I'll pay a share of the gas and buy you a round of mini-golf. Convinced yet?

Also I guess someone should let b0wser know he's coming out with us that night. :P

I'm going to try to find out when they close down their outdoor "attractions" so I can make sure we plan to be there early enough. I'm pretty sure the outdoor golf and go karts are open until 10 or 11 so starting at 8pm should be enough time. The indoor stuff stays open until midnight.

As a side note I put in the reservation at Wings, for a party of 30. They are very happy to have us there again. :winky:

AbsintheMinded on
    edited August 2009
    THE POST YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!

ACC3SS presents...

video_games-1.jpg

THE TIME HAS COME!

Prepare yourself for a night of console gaming at Jimz Gamer Lounge on August 28th from 7-10pm. Admission is 20 bones. The competition will be fierce. Alliances will be hastily made and epically discarded. Foes will be crushed. Headshots will be made. Combos will be counted. Blocks will be boomed. Grifballs will be planted. Princesses will be in other castles, which may also be crashed. And, yes, there will be blood. Zombie blood.

Jim even said he'd throw a BBQ for us. OM NOM HOTDOGS.

So, put on your gaming face (GRRRR!) and bring a Queen E to the most anticipated Pre-PAX Vancouver Gaming Night of the year. You won't regret it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Game Discussion

Left 4 Dead - I would love to fight off a Zombie infection alongside you fine folk.
    Castle Crashers - TMNT 1989 was fun last year. This is even better!
    Rock Band - Karaoke for all!
    Boom Blox - It was a hit last year.
    Halo 3 Grifball - It's tough to set up because it requires downloaded maps, but I'll try to cook up something.
    Halo 3/CoD4 - Gotta have some FPS.
    YOUR FANTASIC GAME IDEA HERE - Comment below!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PS. Bring your buttons! BUTTONS!!!

ACC3SS on
    edited August 2009
    Well then.... if we are doing posters now. :winky:
    PAXFTW2.jpg

AbsintheMinded on
    edited August 2009
    Well then.... if we are doing posters now. :winky:
    PAXFTW2.jpg
    GMDC%20TOUCHE.jpg

Also, +1 for Japanese and/or Mongolian. I'm staying away from the other two.

ACC3SS on
    edited August 2009

I'm thinking we'll be going with the Mongolian BBQ at this rate.

You coming on the Abbotsford Raid? You're already halfway there. :P

Now.... where's the poster for tr0tsky's main event? lol.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited August 2009
    Does Jim have an snes?

Sumi on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    MONGOLIAN BBQ

And yeah, I'm totally cool with ditching the golf thing. I will go to anything, at any time (when I'm not working).

Wormdundee on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    how late do you guys think FTWings will go? I'm hoping to be on the 5pm boat to Van, but if I miss that then it's the 7pm (which means into downtown van by 9pm)

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    edited August 2009
    Sumi wrote: »
    Does Jim have an snes?

No. If you have one and are okay with bringing it, be my guest. He's got a ton of TVs, it shouldn't be a problem.
    You coming on the Abbotsford Raid? You're already halfway there. :P

Yes, I probably will. I can only say "definitely yes" to so many things before my head asplode, though. So, this one will be a "probable," okay? :P

Also, update the OP you lazy bum! I don't care if the forums are down, you update that post!

Alsoalso, take me off Rock Band night. I plan to go to the Rio as I previously mentioned. I'll post the details of the double-feature once I get home from work so I can access Facebook (damn restrictions).

ACC3SS on
    edited August 2009
    SmallLady wrote: »
    how late do you guys think FTWings will go? I'm hoping to be on the 5pm boat to Van, but if I miss that then it's the 7pm (which means into downtown van by 9pm)

I think we left around 10 or 11 pm last year. However we made the mistake of filling up at a dinner earlier that day.

Pretty much, they'll let us stay until we stop buying drinks and food.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited August 2009

Well apparantly Darby's is lame and doesn't do Rock Band night anymore =/

Maybe just turn it into Anime double feature night at the Rio? Or could maybe play Rock Band at my place...if there's not too many of us :P

tr0tsky on
    edited August 2009
    Let's post tr0tsky's address on the forums and see what happens.

ACC3SS on
    edited August 2009
    Let's post tr0tsky's address on the forums and see what happens.

You're supposed to say that after you get my address from me.

tr0tsky on
    edited August 2009

Maybe just turn it into Anime double feature night at the Rio? Or could maybe play Rock Band at my place...if there's not too many of us :P

Well, I was planning on leaving Rock Band early to catch the double feature. So if you wanted to call it off and catch the double feature with us that's cool. However if you wanted to host a little rock band gathering as a pre-movie warm up, (and then join us at the movie) thats even cooler. :winky:

AbsintheMinded on
  • YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well I'm living in Abbotsford now anyways, so count me in for Abbotsford Raid Night. Also, I'm apparently listed as part of SmallLady's +2 for FTW. Feel free to -1 and add me to the list.

Yuritau on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Well, I was planning on leaving Rock Band early to catch the double feature. So if you wanted to call it off and catch the double feature with us that's cool. However if you wanted to host a little rock band gathering as a pre-movie warm up, (and then join us at the movie) thats even cooler. :winky:

Just a question, when do the double features start? Because this is definitely a good replacement for the rock band night (even if we still do a little rock banding at tr0stky's first.

Wormdundee on
    edited August 2009
    Good timing Worm. I just updated the OP.

The double features are midnight movies.... so they start at midnight and end early Saturday Morning.

As for the 21st, the double feature that night is Akira and Ghost in the Shell. Tickets are $10 or $8 if you dress in costume. The Rio puts two different movies on every friday at midnight, always with discounts for cosplayers. I don't cosplay ever, but I still think thats awesome for them to do. Makes the scene a lot more fun.

As a side note if you are taking the Skytrain past Broadway after Jimz Gaming Night the next Friday, be forewarned, that's the night they show the Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Rio.... should be a few interesting looking people out that night. :winky:

Edit: With the Darby's event dissapearing those of us going to the movie will probably congreagate at my place prior to the double feature for some pre-movie food and gaming. I only live two blocks down the street from the theatre. It's not an official event so no sign up sheet, if you are coming to the double feature you can PM me for details on the pre-movie festivities.

AbsintheMinded on
  • TeenychickaTeenychicka Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ahh the Rio, I haven't been since the couch I crashed on after moved. *tear* If I could teleport home, I definitely would go to that.

But, I will put Wings down on the calendar! +1 because it's always more fun with a bro.

Teenychicka on
    8502184533758290.gif OH YEAH!
    edited August 2009
    So I have to ask all my fellow Vancouverites (and veteran PAXers) a question:

Is that new blasted Telus TV commercial making the rest of you even more anxious for PAX to start, or just me?
    Dammit PAX ressurected and appropriated that song first! :P

Anyway... updated the list for FTW. That event is filling up fast. Looks like Jimz Gaming Night and FTW Night will both have pretty good showings for their second year.
    Ahh the Rio, I haven't been since the couch I crashed on after moved. *tear* If I could teleport home, I definitely would go to that.

What part of Vancouver do you need to get back to afterwards? As more people sign up there might be someone heading your way on their way home. I can't volunteer someone else's car, but if you post what way you are heading, someone might offer you a ride. 8-)

Come to think of it I'll probably be the only person who is not going to need to drive to get home after the movies.

AbsintheMinded on
  • TeenychickaTeenychicka Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What part of Vancouver do you need to get back to afterwards? As more people sign up there might be someone heading your way on their way home. I can't volunteer someone else's car, but if you post what way you are heading, someone might offer you a ride. 8-)

Come to think of it I'll probably be the only person who is not going to need to drive to get home after the movies.

I'll be needing to get back to New West (inb4 "oh god, the boons!"). I'll check and see how far the nightbus makes it.

Teenychicka on
    8502184533758290.gif OH YEAH!
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

You havn't been to many sporting events in recent times have you? The final countdown is always played during the final moments of almost any sport.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey all, fellow Vancouverite here. It'll be the first time at PAX for me and I'm taking the bus down with many of your Thursday.

If there is still space at FTW the night before please add me to the list. Unfortunately I'll be out of town leading up to PAX, which takes me out of the rest of what sounds to be an awesome week.

Varcayn on
    edited August 2009
    Qs23 wrote: »

You havn't been to many sporting events in recent times have you? The final countdown is always played during the final moments of almost any sport.

Not to mention many high school pep rallies.

Sumi on
This discussion has been closed.