As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Batman:Arkham Asylum - Out Now (PS3/360) Not Out Now (PC/EU/AU damnit)

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Kuratosu wrote: »
    Even as a kid, he's pimpin'

Don't blame me, blame the internet

Snip

Edit: Wow, I went back and watched that video. No seriously, give it a chance and know that if you don't cry at some point then you will never know love.

Never! Never ever, ever!

You can't be serious.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Don't blame me, blame the internet

Edit: Wow, I went back and watched that video. No seriously, give it a chance and know that if you don't cry at some point then you will never know love.

Never! Never ever, ever!

Hahahahahahahahahaha

That is terrible.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Never! Never ever, ever!

i didn't cry, but i giggled?

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I made it to 19 seconds

Those last 2 seconds were really fucking hard.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Look, it's just... *sniff* ...it's just a good song, OK guys?

Leeme 'lone...

KalTorak on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Since we're not really talking about AA anymore anyway, where does one start with the Justice League cartoons? Aren't there two different series or something like that? Do they follow the continuity of Batman the Animated Series, or are they standalone?

Start with Justice League but realize its first season is by far the weakest. Justice League Unlimited starts after Justice League ends. Both series are apart of the DC Animated Universe (DCAU) so you will see references to other shows like Batman and Superman.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Never! Never ever, ever!

i didn't cry, but i giggled?

We're going to die alone.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tertiee wrote: »
    Since we're not really talking about AA anymore anyway, where does one start with the Justice League cartoons? Aren't there two different series or something like that? Do they follow the continuity of Batman the Animated Series, or are they standalone?

Start with Justice League but realize its first season is by far the weakest. Justice League Unlimited starts after Justice League ends. Both series are apart of the DC Animated Universe (DCAU) so you will see references to other shows like Batman and Superman.

Thanks for the info. I'll see about grabbing Justice League from Netflix.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

JL season 1 is a bit so-so, but stick with it, Season 2 vastly improves on the formula. That and Superman doesn't get shocked and/or incapacitated by Kyprtonite every fucking second.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

JL season 1 is a bit so-so, but stick with it, Season 2 vastly improves on the formula. That and Superman doesn't get shocked and/or incapacitated by Kyprtonite every fucking second.

I thought the first few episodes of JLU were far weaker to be honest, as in "They've jumped the shark and why am I bothering?" territory.

Fortunately then the Cadmus arc kicks in and everything's freaking awesome. Also: The Question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3K-Tenpq8g

subedii on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Something I noted in the demo today. I was hammering on the attack button each time before. Today, I tried waiting and hitting the button right after each attack. It worked a lot better. I was able to get the combat takedown pretty easily.

I think there's some sort of buffering on each input. I've noticed it when I was swinging from gargoyle to gargoyle in the final room. I can hit R1 while swinging and I'll immediately swing to the next after landing on the gargoyle. Maybe this buffering happens in combat too, and if you wait, you can pick your target, making it easier to get your combo meter up.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Marikir wrote: »
    Something I noted in the demo today. I was hammering on the attack button each time before. Today, I tried waiting and hitting the button right after each attack. It worked a lot better. I was able to get the combat takedown pretty easily.

I think there's some sort of buffering on each input. I've noticed it when I was swinging from gargoyle to gargoyle in the final room. I can hit R1 while swinging and I'll immediately swing to the next after landing on the gargoyle. Maybe this buffering happens in combat too, and if you wait, you can pick your target, making it easier to get your combo meter up.

I noticed that too. There is definitely some sort of buffer as Batman doesn't start the next attack until his animation with the first finishes. Perhaps it's just the position of the enemies when you wait to do the second. There isn't that second of them moving around. Also if I hit attack to early I miss the opportunity to counter.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    subedii wrote: »

I thought the first few episodes of JLU were far weaker to be honest, as in "They've jumped the shark and why am I bothering?" territory.

Fortunately then the Cadmus arc kicks in and everything's freaking awesome. Also: The Question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3K-Tenpq8g

"The things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets. Their true purpose is sinister..."

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Ya-HA! Thirty-two flavours, I knew it!

subedii on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Jeeze.. Super-Lad is a fucking dick "because its stupid!"

Guess that superdickery website was on to something

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    " Orange socks?"

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Mr.ZsaszMr.Zsasz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So I started trying to make out what is written on some of the random papers laying around. Most of them have something to this effect:

Umberto Crazooly

Diagnosis: Has a stupid name.

I'm writing to inform you that your relative is loopy and will be confined to an inhuman floating cage in some crazy dungeon.

You have no legal discourse in this decision and may be liable for all costs incurred for the treatment of your psychotic family member.

Best regards from all of us at Arkham Asylum Rehabilitation Services.

Have a nice day,

The Joker and Pals.

So yeah, the detail put into this game is pretty sweet.

Mr.Zsasz on
    Returning some video tapes.
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just saw a gamestop commercial for the scarecrow challenge maps.

It was just the "hip bone connected thigh bone" song and batman fighting skeletons. I hadn't seen anything about the scarecrow maps, so needless to say, I was very confused.

"Wtf.. skeletons?"

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Just saw a gamestop commercial for the scarecrow challenge maps.

It was just the "hip bone connected thigh bone" song and batman fighting skeletons. I hadn't seen anything about the scarecrow maps, so needless to say, I was very confused.

"Wtf.. skeletons?"

Actually, the song was more along the lines of "the hip bone's removed from the thigh bone." Mildly amusing.

And I'm assuming since it's a Scarecrow map, it has to do with getting hit with fear toxin. -shrug-

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I assume there's a part in the game where you get hit with the fear toxin and is somewhat similar to the challenge room.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I know for a fact there is a few stages centered around the effects of scarecrow's fear toxin. So yeah, there will probably be skeletons in the story mode. I'm hoping there will be other scary things.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

BTAS, Superman: TAS, Batman Beyond, JL, and JLU are all linked in a shared universe. Static Shock an The Zeta Project, too, but those are more side stories with the occasional cameo.

If you've already watched BTAS, I would reccomend watching the series in the order they came out. STAS first, then BB, then JL, then JLU. If you really just want to skip to the League stuff, then just start with Justice League seasons one and two, then Justice League Unlimited Seasons one and two. The two shows are linked, but follow a different format. JL follows the seven core heroes(Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green lantern, Martian Manhunter, and Hawkgirl) and does longer two and three-part episodes almost exclusively. In JLU, the League expands to include almost every DC hero there is, and does mostly one-shot episodes starring a different collection of members each time, usually one or two of the big seven and one or two of the other heroes.

I would really reccomend at least watching Superman first, though. Aside from being a great show in it's own right, a lot of the late-series stuff gets brought up again in JL/JLU, and it contains the first Superman/Batman team-up episodes as well. And introduces both The Flash and the Green Lantern Corps. Lex Luthor is also a pretty major character in the JL shows.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

BTAS, Superman: TAS, Batman Beyond, JL, and JLU are all linked in a shared universe. Static Shock an The Zeta Project, too, but those are more side stories with the occasional cameo.

If you've already watched BTAS, I would reccomend watching the series in the order they came out. STAS first, then BB, then JL, then JLU. If you really just want to skip to the League stuff, then just start with Justice League seasons one and two, then Justice League Unlimited Seasons one and two. The two shows are linked, but follow a different format. JL follows the seven core heroes(Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green lantern, Martian Manhunter, and Hawkgirl) and does longer two and three-part episodes almost exclusively. In JLU, the League expands to include almost every DC hero there is, and does mostly one-shot episodes starring a different collection of members each time, usually one or two of the big seven and one or two of the other heroes.

I would really reccomend at least watching Superman first, though. Aside from being a great show in it's own right, a lot of the late-series stuff gets brought up again in JL/JLU, and it contains the first Superman/Batman team-up episodes as well. And introduces both The Flash and the Green Lantern Corps. Lex Luthor is also a pretty major character in the JL shows.

Thanks for the info. I think I know what I'll be getting from Netflix for the rest of the year. I've seen BTAS, but I've only seen bits and pieces of Superman and Batman Beyond, so I should probably catch up on those.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I know for a fact there is a few stages centered around the effects of scarecrow's fear toxin. So yeah, there will probably be skeletons in the story mode. I'm hoping there will be other scary things.

I wonder if they'll do a bit of Eternal Darkness-style effects for the fear toxin. It's usually pretty debilitating, it would kind of suck if it just reskins your enemies.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I wonder if they'll do a bit of Eternal Darkness-style effects for the fear toxin. It's usually pretty debilitating, it would kind of suck if it just reskins your enemies.

I always thought it'd be great if the fear toxin fucked with him in such a way that he had to resort to using a gun.

Has a writer done this before?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    But... but batman never uses guns. Guns killed his parents.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm pretty sure I've seen ED thrown around in previews and such to describe parts of the game so

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Which is why it would be a particularly dick move for Scarecrow to put him in a situation where he'd absolutely have to. It would be endlessly traumatizing.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I always thought it'd be great if the fear toxin fucked with him in such a way that he had to resort to using a gun.

Has a writer done this before?

I really liked on Batman Beyond how the day Bruce was forced to use a gun(he was old and pretty much getting manhandled by common thugs) was the day he decided to quit being Batman. He didn't shoot it though.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Batman_Year_2.jpg

Though he doesn't actually use it, and this is where he realizes that guns aren't for him.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Didn't realize there WAS a "Year Two" story. I just went from Year One to The Long Halloween. Is it any good?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Didn't he shoot down a plane with a sniper rifle in Dark Knight Returns?

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Htown wrote: »
    Didn't realize there WAS a "Year Two" story. I just went from Year One to The Long Halloween. Is it any good?

The cover there has the name "Todd McFarlane" on it

So no

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Oh wow, didn't even see that.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I don't have it in front of me, but I read it a week or two ago and he didn't use it to shoot anything down. I think he used it to fire a grappling hook from one of the twin towers to another.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Woodroez wrote: »

I don't have it in front of me, but I read it a week or two ago and he didn't use it to shoot anything down. I think he used it to fire a grappling hook from one of the twin towers to another.

That could be. I haven't read it in a long time.

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I haven't read the whole thread so this might have already come up. But just in case:

batman.jpg

Walmart Canada only.

source

Bamelin on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2009
    I am seriously getting fucking sick and tired of exclusive content for various retailers.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The PRICE look at the PRICE

Bamelin on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Interesting. I wonder if that's just an unlock for the armor you get for beating the game, or a new set entirely

oh, does bats have the armor on in that picture? looks pretty sharp, if not really a far cry from the default armor. I kinda like to see the yellow and black logo on plated armor, but whatevs.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg