As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What I learned from video games.

NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in ActionNorth CarolinaRegistered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
So I was in an Amp fueled rush last night playing AC6 and browsing another web comic (Red Meat) when I realized that, thanks to Wing Commander 3, I learned what a Tacyon particle was.

Then I recalled that story about that kid that learned basic first aid from America's Army.

So has anyone gained any real knowledge from video games here? I'm not talking about "Hitting weak spots for massive damage" or "pick up everything that's not nailed down because you WILL need it later."

maybe some of you guys learned something from an RTS or Brothers in Arms?

newSig.jpg
Nocren on

• TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned which vegetables typically grow in what season thanks to the Harvest Moon series.

TekDragon on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned that in most mazes, hugging the right hand wall will eventually take you to the exit.

And also a fair amount of useless trivia about supercars from PGR and the like.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Parasite Eve taught the the function of mitochondria, as well as other fancy biology things like apoptiosis and osteocytes (I probably spelled both of those wrong.....I havent played it in a while :))

Etiowsa on
  • DebaserZbsDebaserZbs Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    SimCity taught me in a very general way about how zoning works. Also that it's impossible to keep everyone happy - especially in SimCity 4.

DebaserZbs on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Simcity taunt me that if people piss you off to much its perfectly acceptable to unleash a volcano, tornado, toxic spill, nuclear disaster and an earthquake on them.

Buttcleft on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm pretty sure it's impossible to play almost any historical sim (Civ, Caesar, Total War, etc) without picking up -something-.

Aroduc on
  • DebaserZbsDebaserZbs Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's impossible to play almost any historical sim (Civ, Caesar, Total War, etc) without picking up -something-.

Oh, absolutely. Civilization taught me a fair deal about foreign cultures and the seven Wonders of the World long before I entered middle school.

DebaserZbs on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Comic Books and video games each taught me a huge amount of vocabulary. My parents read to me a ton when I was a kid, and as I got older I enjoyed reading, but loved comics and didn't mind really wordy games.

I cant think of any video game examples off the top of my head, but I know specifically the words Exodus, Onslaught, voracious and finding out what the phrase "To the victor goes the spoils" all came from comics books.

Its why I think if Scribblenauts was made 15 years earlier, it would have made my head explode.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    COD4 on Veteran taught me what the inside of an Xbox 360 controller looks like. Also my wall.

The_Scarab on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I mainly learned definitions of words.

I learned what a "deluge" was thanks to Faxanadu having a spell of that name. I also learned what "obsequious " meant thanks to Star Control II.

SteevL on
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Various pieces of musical trivia from the Rock Band loading screen won me a 10,000 scholarship
    Not much, but better than nothing

glithert on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Playing RPGs from an early age has definitely broadened my vocabulary.

Also I learned from Metal Gear Solid how dominant and recessive genes work!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Hahaha

Renzo on
    edited August 2009

I LIVE ON.

IN

THIS

ARM

The_Scarab on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    COD4 on Veteran taught me what the inside of an Xbox 360 controller looks like. Also my wall.

there were several games for the nes and snes that gave me similar epiphanies, that was when I also learned to solder.

Buttcleft on
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009

Dude, that's not even funny :P.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Just about everything I know about cars is from playing Gran Turismo 3.

Otherwise, just a lot of random mythology and vocabulary. That and playing Everquest significantly increased my typing spead.

"Choo choo. Bard Train to zone!"

gjaustin on
    edited August 2009
    Civ 1 - 3 basically got me an A in history all the way up to college.

The_Scarab on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    although not quite something i learned but playing videogames has given me the reflexes and hand eye coordination of a ninja,
    my coworkers like to throw things at me while i'm working and i can generally catch it if i notice the object at least 3 feet away from me

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Playing Wolfenstein back in highschool actually taught me German. Or rather, because of Wolfenstein I took German for my language elective because I wanted to know what they guys I was shooting were saying :) .

Various RPGs over the years have taught me a passing knowledge of various Mythologies; like Greek, Norse and Hindu. As the names for spells and monsters often come from there.

Selner on
  • McDudersteinMcDuderstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned that war never changes.

McDuderstein on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Dammit I was going to post this exact thing.

Can't think of any actual info I've learned from games (aside from the rock trivia glithert mentioned), but video games have definitely helped in expanding my vocabulary.

UnbreakableVow on
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned what dysentery is.

EskimoDave on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    EskimoDave wrote: »

i also learned that killing as many bison as possible will have no effect on the species.

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Mass Effect actually taught me some stuff about our solar system and has subsequently got me interested in astronomy. I might buy a telescope with my first paycheque.

Dunxco on
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

i also learned that killing as many bison as possible will have no effect on the species.

Also, use a ferry whenever possible. Fording rivers will always end in tears...

Etiowsa on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The most specific example I can remember is learning what ipecac is from Curse of Monkey Island.

I'm sure I learned a ton of vocabulary and things from games though.

Oh, I also learned that freezing a dead battery in liquid nitrogen can return some of the charge, from Runaway. Unfortunately, the game did not think it was teaching you this, it expected you to know it already.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned to love Louis Armstrong.

Lords of the Realm taught me that medieval battles consisted of a dozen guys with axes whacking at a dozen guys with swords.

And The Lurking Horror taught me how to use a microwave. I'm serious about that one. I was, like, eight.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    For me, the day Bison graced my village was the most important day of my life.

But for him...it was Tuesday.

UnbreakableVow on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    In a general way, games like the Oddworld series definitely shaped my imagination and influenced my artistic style as I grew up. I would call that learning.

BloodySloth on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

and that even if you kill 3725 pounds worth, you'll only be able to carry 200 pounds back.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Cube clubs, dead goats at ancient Greek-themed parties, sponsored tournaments, the current E3 conventions, console shortages, free pack-in games, hiding severed body parts along streets of Britain with each severed arm holding a free copy of a game, and insulting your core audience in an attempt to be ironic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp460zM_PGA

I believe I have a slightly better understanding of what works in marketing and what doesn't thanks to the videogame biz.

Also, Nolan Bushnell has stated in a couple interviews that he feels games could do a lot more to teach kids. Instead of memorizing 150 Pokemon, why not memorize the types of critters in Madagascar or new dance moves or how to survive in the desert?

emnmnme on
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    For me, the day Bison graced my village was the most important day of my life.

But for him...it was Tuesday.

pro posting right here.

i learned a shitload of geography trivia from playing where in the world is carmen sandiego on my 486
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Also, Nolan Bushnell has stated in a couple interviews that he feels games could do a lot more to teach kids. Instead of memorizing 150 Pokemon, why not memorize the types of critters in Madagascar or new dance moves or how to survive in the desert?
    isnt that what the 50cent game is for?

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh yeah, who here has played Return to Mysterious Island on the PC.

You're shipwrecked on an island. Survive.

I learned how to make glue, gunpowder, and something about creating an electric charge with a lemon and copper.

emnmnme on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have learned that video game communities are the coolest people 9/10 times. PA people in general cover a wide gambit of awesome.

That and aiming with the shotgun dead center to your chest is a bad idea. Doom guy, wtf man?

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I learned that war has changed.

BlackDove on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned how to type from old Sierra PC games. Also, like many others, my knowledge of history increased drastically thanks to the Civilization series.

RainbowDespair on
  • ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned a bit about car control from endless hours of car racing sims. I've had a few hairy moments on the asphalt than could have been worse if muscle memory hadn't taken over.

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned to always map in my mind where I have just been. Thank you

Halo
    Fear
    Final Fantasy *
    TMNT
    Megaman
    Super Mario Bros. 2
    Morrowind
    etc.
    etc.

RoyceSraphim on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »

I learned that war has changed.

Metal Gear Solid Fallout?

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius