As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallen Earth] All things come to an end. Then the fun starts.

• eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    I have it good authority (none) that this game will be like Tabula Rasa and you will roll a class of some sort and shoot X of Y for Z reward ad nauseum and then play a very bad half-life clone for pvp.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    I have it good authority (none) that this game will be like Tabula Rasa and you will roll a class of some sort and shoot X of Y for Z reward ad nauseum and then play a very bad half-life clone for pvp.

There are no classes, you can level via crafting (in theory), there are quite a few Town Defense-type events and out-of-the-norm quests (with hilarious conversations with NPCs), and yes, a generous selection of Go X and Kill Y to retrieve Z type quests.

Pretty fun for awhile, and certainly different. I think the biggest inno-va-shun in FE is the crafting system. It's still Collect Garbage (literally, in regards to Scavenging skill) to get the pieces for Recipe, but a few nice twists. You can simultaneously have all the crafting skills (though this is time consuming and expensive), and you can run about while crafting. Being near a crafting table, however, lowers the amount of time it takes to craft an item by about 25%. You can also make books that teach yourself or others higher/different tiers of crafting in that group, which I thought was pretty neat.

Also, you can ride a motorcycle while spraying people with an uzi.

Galielmus on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, maybe the whale on rollerskates is more graceful than I thought. He starts out really sloppily, and while he continues to be unable to skate in a straight line without crashing for very long, he can do some pretty cool looking tricks. I would consider paying to watch him skate, but probably not until he'd been practicing at live shows for awhile.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So, maybe the whale on rollerskates is more graceful than I thought. He starts out really sloppily, and while he continues to be unable to skate in a straight line without crashing for very long, he can do some pretty cool looking tricks. I would consider paying to watch him skate, but probably not until he'd been practicing at live shows for awhile.

I love that whale.

Buttcleft on
  • CaligoCaligo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Why is there so little interest in this game on these boards? Is it just because of the art style? I'd think people would get all geeked up over a Mad Max/Fallout MMO.

Caligo on
    edited August 2009
    I think it's because it's not being promoted very heavily, it's not very well known, the screenshots look like shit and everything is still under NDA. I still honestly don't think it's going to make it much longer than Tabula Rasa or Hellgate did.

Darkewolfe on
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have to wonder why they're keeping it under wraps so much when there's only a month or so to launch. A tiny little bird which does not exist in any fashion tells me (though really it doesn't what with it not existing and all) that it's not that bad.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
    edited August 2009
    Caligo wrote: »
    Why is there so little interest in this game on these boards? Is it just because of the art style? I'd think people would get all geeked up over a Mad Max/Fallout MMO.

Hard to drum up a great conversation about something you cant talk about.
    thankfully we can talk about whales on rollerskates, and i love whales on rollerskates.

Buttcleft on
    edited August 2009
    Hopefully we'll be able to have more meaningful talks about our beskated cetacean soon, as the open beta starts on the 17th.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If you don't like to craft, this is not the the game for you. To even passably get by, a sizable amount of time must be dedicated to crafting. Using firearms definitely requires crafting, due to the fact that firearms are woefully underpowered, and as such you will go through massive amounts of ammo in no time flat, requiring to you constantly gather and craft while going about your business. It forces a lot of people to go the melee route, simply because it's not as frustrating or time consuming.

Metallikat on
    edited August 2009
    Oh, yeah. My character is technically a gun user, but because I never have ammo I pretty much always just hit things with a piece of bent pipe. As a result, I'm usually doing quests designed for a couple levels below me.

Darkewolfe on
    edited August 2009
    It's a shame, because it seems like they don't factor in the constant gathering of materials and crafting a constant trickle of ammo into how useful the guns should be. It wouldn't be too bad if the ammo weighed practically nothing and was cheap and plentiful from vendors, which could be used to justify the low damage. But as it stands now, melee just makes more sense.

Metallikat on
    edited August 2009
    Well, you also have the problem that you're often fighting in very tight spaces, and things die at WoW speed. If it was more FPS like in that people/mobs died after 2-3 shots it wouldn't be so bad, but you're going to end up in melee with everything you fight no matter what. Why not start by rushing into melee with them, rather than having them run at you and taking a huge defense penalty because of your rifle?

Darkewolfe on
  • GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Once you're out of Sector 1, more and more NPCs have guns and shoot at you. When you try to close with them, they have some minor kiting capabilities. Also, as you level up, you get more and more abilities and mutations to be used that enhance your abilities. This also applies to melee, though, and I haven't levelled up both a melee and a gun character to the same level to compare their effectiveness. But yes, suffice to say, I've heard rifles and pistols are king later because of the various kiting abilities that come up and whatnot, but it will always be cheaper to be a melee champ.

Galielmus on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Downloading the beta now to give it a go tommorrow, shame to hear about the bullets thing but I feel like some post apoc fun.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Metallikat wrote: »
    If you don't like to craft, this is not the the game for you. To even passably get by, a sizable amount of time must be dedicated to crafting. Using firearms definitely requires crafting, due to the fact that firearms are woefully underpowered, and as such you will go through massive amounts of ammo in no time flat, requiring to you constantly gather and craft while going about your business. It forces a lot of people to go the melee route, simply because it's not as frustrating or time consuming.
    That sounds incredibly unfun. Maybe they're hoping for a player-run economy that will provide all that jazz?

GungHo on
    edited August 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    That sounds incredibly unfun. Maybe they're hoping for a player-run economy that will provide all that jazz?

It might change after the beta, but there's no player run economy in the beta. You craft your own stuff, or you just buy it from the vendor. There's very little player trade that I've seen.

Darkewolfe on
    edited August 2009

It might change after the beta, but there's no player run economy in the beta. You craft your own stuff, or you just buy it from the vendor. There's very little player trade that I've seen.

I like the idea of crafting ammo etc but if firearms arent powerful (likely due to balance reasons) then why bother. But I havent played yet so i'll try it this evening when I get home.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited August 2009

Money is in relatively short supply. And while some ammo and crafting materials are available via vendors, they're too expensive to consider as a regular option for even casual crafting. To give you an idea of the cash flow situation (at least in the earlier areas, can't speak for higher), almost nothing drops cash. Period. What money you get, you get from quests and selling junk at vendors (for crap prices). You almost HAVE to harvest resource nodes, even if you don't craft all that much. just so you have something to sell for cash. It slows the game down considerably because you're always stopping, getting off your mount, harvesting, getting back on mount, rinse, repeat.

Metallikat on
    edited August 2009
    You almost HAVE to harvest resource nodes, even if you don't craft all that much. just so you have something to sell for cash. It slows the game down considerably because you're always stopping, getting off your mount, harvesting, getting back on mount, rinse, repeat.
    There's something strangely addictive about it, though. I have to visit every blip on my trashdar, even if I'm in the middle of questing. Must... scrounge...

But yeah, if you don't like crafting/gathering, you're going to hate this game. A lot.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
    edited August 2009
    That's what I mean by there being no economy for it. You HAVE to scavenge/craft for yourself, and everyone does the same. No one has anything to sell, because no one crafts something they don't use. If you don't NEED to make bullets, you don't. You still have to scavenge/craft for your share of stuff. Instead of it being part of an economy, it's a basic part of playing a character. You don't buy anything, you scavenge and craft it yourself.

Darkewolfe on
    edited August 2009
    Which kind of fits the setting, but I can see a lot of people seeing it as a pain in the ass.

Though I haven't tried a full crafter character yet. That might be interesting (if a little slow)...

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
    edited August 2009
    That's what I mean by there being no economy for it. You HAVE to scavenge/craft for yourself, and everyone does the same. No one has anything to sell, because no one crafts something they don't use. If you don't NEED to make bullets, you don't. You still have to scavenge/craft for your share of stuff. Instead of it being part of an economy, it's a basic part of playing a character. You don't buy anything, you scavenge and craft it yourself.

generally speaking, its like this in every game.
    early stages when skills are easy to grind and crafting fairly simple, everyone makes their own shit.

as soon as you get further in, you have to decide between pumping time/points into crafting skills or combat sills, and thats where economies start.

the fighters gather the materials, sell them to the crafters, who make things and sell them to the fighters.

Buttcleft on
    edited August 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »

generally speaking, its like this in every game.
    early stages when skills are easy to grind and crafting fairly simple, everyone makes their own shit.

as soon as you get further in, you have to decide between pumping time/points into crafting skills or combat sills, and thats where economies start.

the fighters gather the materials, sell them to the crafters, who make things and sell them to the fighters.

yea cause the crafters (the crazy motherfuckers that actually love crafting) will be the ones stockpiling bullets and shit and selling them to the guys shooting other guys in the face. Some junktown jerky vendor ends up being the go to guy for all your gear.

so is there like food/water etc that need to be purchased to make sure you guy doesnt die in the radiated wasteland?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited August 2009
    Oh, and I forgot to mention, crafting takes time. Like, 10-15 minutes to create 80 bullets. Which you will burn through so fast it's laughable.

Metallikat on
    edited August 2009
    Oh, and I forgot to mention, crafting takes time. Like, 10-15 minutes to create 80 bullets. Which you will burn through so fast it's laughable.

Thats... not so cool, is there skills etc that make that go faster

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited August 2009
    darkmayo wrote: »

Thats... not so cool, is there skills etc that make that go faster

I heard talk of enhanced recipes for ammo, that crafted slightly larger amounts at a time. But I believe they are rare drops or some such, and did not appear common. I wouldn't mind being on a tight supply of ammo if what I had for guns did great damage, but it simply isn't the case.

Metallikat on
    edited August 2009
    gave this a go a lunch briefly, looks nice but not sure what to think yet since I didnt get out of the tutorial.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited August 2009
    Most people end up waiting until they're about to quit, and then queue up a metric ton of ammo to cook while they're logged out.

And yes, gun damage is kind of lame right now.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, you need to be crafting ammo all the time forever, including when you're not logged in. Problem with that is that all your time in-game needs to be spent harvesting copper.

Darkewolfe on
    edited August 2009
    Aaaaaand the NDA is down. It was announced in-game according to the forums. Post away.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
    edited August 2009

which you can que up when you go to log out and have all your shit done when you log in the next day.

Stop acting like its aborting babies and making bullets from stemcells.

and now that the NDA is lifted, I can say that I've been playing for awhile, mostly just scavenging nodes which is why I am only level 7, but god i love this game. I can see that I'll definitely have at least one craftwhore character

Buttcleft on
  • MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »

which you can que up when you go to log out and have all your shit done when you log in the next day.

Stop acting like its aborting babies and making bullets from stemcells.

and now that the NDA is lifted, I can say that I've been playing for awhile, mostly just scavenging nodes which is why I am only level 7, but god i love this game. I can see that I'll definitely have at least one craftwhore character

This game is enjoyable, guns are not underpowered at all if you keep your crafting skill up and are making the best stuff you can, thank you NDA drop.

EDIT: Darkewolfe what do you mean copper to craft ammo? most ammo takes say, one copper.

Maticore on
  • EnnsEnns Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So are there any real differences between the "factions?"

Enns on
    gransig.jpg
    edited August 2009
    So been playing for the last couple of hours and ... I think I really like it. Its definately not your normal mmo , its more like an mmo sandbox

pistols dont seem to be too worth it but you should be dual wielding them anyways, rifles are decent , maybe 2-4 rounds to kill a guy, melee tho seems to be king.

I do enjoy the crafting component of this game, I can really see an in game economy arise once people are past the first tiers of crafting. Pretty much queue up some things to build, run around and kill while it times down and voila, no fuss no muss. And of course collecting a bunch of materials to burn off over night is a good idea as well.

Bought a horse and bridal, tested it out for a bit, that was neat.

Good cash at first, chicken legs. Kill those weird prairie chickens and harvest them for legs, decent coin from them.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited August 2009
    So been playing for the last couple of hours and ... I think I really like it. Its definately not your normal mmo , its more like an mmo sandbox

pistols dont seem to be too worth it but you should be dual wielding them anyways, rifles are decent , maybe 2-4 rounds to kill a guy, melee tho seems to be king.

I do enjoy the crafting component of this game, I can really see an in game economy arise once people are past the first tiers of crafting. Pretty much queue up some things to build, run around and kill while it times down and voila, no fuss no muss. And of course collecting a bunch of materials to burn off over night is a good idea as well.

Good cash at first, chicken legs. Kill those weird prairie chickens and harvest them for legs, decent coin from them.

Don't judge the weapon choices at all based on the starter guns. Melee IS king for the first six-ish levels - the good news is no matter who you are you can play basically a melee character up to level eight or so (with no points in it) by just upgrading your weapon. Eight or so you can upgrade what you WANT to use and start at that.

Craft your first horse yourself - it's cheaper.

Maticore on
    edited August 2009
    Maticore wrote: »

Don't judge the weapon choices at all based on the starter guns. Melee IS king for the first six-ish levels - the good news is no matter who you are you can play basically a melee character up to level eight or so (with no points in it) by just upgrading your weapon. Eight or so you can upgrade what you WANT to use and start at that.

craft a horse?? ... what kind of freakish frankenstein horse is it

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited August 2009
    Maticore wrote: »

craft a horse?? ... what kind of freakish frankenstein horse is it

A post-apocalyptic one.

Maticore on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If I want to spend 10-15 minutes making bullets, I can go use my real bullet press and make real bullets.
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Most people end up waiting until they're about to quit, and then queue up a metric ton of ammo to cook while they're logged out.
    That's a good feature. I don't know if I've heard of a game allowing that before... crafting while logged out.

GungHo on
    edited August 2009
    That's a good feature. I don't know if I've heard of a game allowing that before... crafting while logged out.
    EVE does.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
This discussion has been closed.