As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ultimate Spider-Thread!

• Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I liked the zombie storyline!

Really UFF is never great but it's "pretty good" for almost all of it's run.

Didn't Mike Carey write a good portion of it

That would be why

Also Ultimate Human wasn't bad per se it just didn't exactly do what you thought it would

"Oh man Iron Man Hulk and Leader awwww shit super power throwdown"

Nope

Dudes talking for four issues

Me Too! on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    that is not what the problem was at all

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pete Wisdom with giant head made me sad.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2009
    that is not what the problem was at all

It was for me

Me Too! on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    KVW wrote: »
    If you worked at the Baxter Building and saw fucking zombies from another dimension and the smartest man on the planet's alternate self tells you he madea pen into a teleportation device froma paperclip, you'd believe it too.

I'd believe it was possible, but I wouldn't open the goddamn cell. Ever. Opening the cell is someone else's job if I'm guarding anything in the fucking Baxter Building that required a cage, much less zombie alternate versions of the Fantastic Four.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was kind of surprised that they designed that cell in such a way that some dummy could open it up in a matter of moments.

CyberJackal on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    bale tell me how you really feel about ultimate human

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zampanov wrote: »
    KVW wrote: »
    If you worked at the Baxter Building and saw fucking zombies from another dimension and the smartest man on the planet's alternate self tells you he madea pen into a teleportation device froma paperclip, you'd believe it too.

I'd believe it was possible, but I wouldn't open the goddamn cell. Ever. Opening the cell is someone else's job if I'm guarding anything in the fucking Baxter Building that required a cage, much less zombie alternate versions of the Fantastic Four.

Also, why even bother to open it? There's two possibilities based on that guard's current knowledge - they're in there but invisible, or they teleported to Central Park. What is the point of opening the cell and going in to poke around? To make sure they're still there? Well congrats, they were, and now you're dead.

I did like the other parts of that story, but that bit was extra-strength retarded.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    There's something that has been bothering me about the first issue of UCSM, and that's the conversation between the criminals in the Kingpins tower. They kept on referencing how the evidence of the murder Kingpin did way back in issue 10 was destroyed in the flood and now he gets to come back into the country. All well and good, except the fact that he was already back in the country by issue 79. In fact, the last time we saw Kingpin he was being charged with the attempted murder of Moon Knight. Did that evidence get lost as well? I swear I don't get Bendis's wacky continuity glitches he sometimes imposes on himself.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I guess when DD died he didn't feel he had to leave the country for fear of Vanessa getting killed? Which brings up a good point about where Vanessa is right now, if she drowned or what.

TexiKen on
    edited August 2009
    He never even left the country again after he returned in issue 79. In issue 110 he got arrested trying to leave the country after Moon Knight accused him of attempted murder, plus he got all sorts of other charges against him. He was still in jail during Ultimatum as far as we know. Now the Moon Knight stuff might get referenced later but I doubt it.

wirehead26 on
    edited August 2009
    Could've just killed Fisk in prison too. Would've been a little less cliche that way.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2009
    Fisk isn't dead, no way he goes out that easily. It's just... I wish Bendis had himself some kind of continuity person to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen.

wirehead26 on
    edited August 2009
    ....like an editor?

TexiKen on
  • Blingston HughesBlingston Hughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Crazy talk.

Blingston Hughes on
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I like that he's dead. I would have been furious if he had gotten away with it AGAIN.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • DeJesusDeJesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    looks to me like marvel has killed 90% of the major villains and some key heroes in the ult universe. why? so they can make the whole universe a brand new day spidey adventure. Menace and freak everywhere. yipee!

DeJesus on
    edited August 2009
    what

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    DeJesus wrote: »
    looks to me like marvel has killed 90% of the major villains and some key heroes in the ult universe. why? so they can make the whole universe a brand new day spidey adventure. Menace and freak everywhere. yipee!

o_O

Hensler on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    damn

that is

I don't even read Ultimate anything

but goddamn

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009

What the fuck is this

Where are you getting that they retconned all of Ultimate Marvel and shoehorned in shitty villains

Based on two fucking comics that came out a week ago

This post is so wrong on so many levels and I hate you for it

Me Too! on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, to be fair, Ultimatum did kill a whole bunch of dudes.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited August 2009
    Yes but to call it BND for Ultimate Comics is wrong on every conceivable level

Me Too! on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »

I agree with this completely. It's not accurate, it's not very humorous, and it's just not true.

On the other hand, agree with Wiggins makes me feel unclean... UNCLEAN!!

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited August 2009
    I say lots of things that are right

I just say them in an extremely dumb and reactionary manner

Me Too! on
  • DeJesusDeJesus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Maybe i should have spoiler wrapped on that last post. But other than that, I`m pretty on the ball.
    we`re kicked 6 months into a future in UCS where peter does not work at the bugle, he has a MCJob, is not with mj, mj is a student reporter, peter is with gwen, who was dead in the ultimate verse until a few months ago, and The torch is moving in with Aunt May, I`m guessing it`s a weird cougar thing, he`ll soon be pete`s new unca Ben.

We are introduced to a brand new villain UCS in issue 1, who I already don`t care about.

wolverine, cyclops, dr. strange, Daredevil, half the xmen, some of the ultimates, MAGNETO, DR. DOOM all dead.

FF, there is no ff.

No one but drunk iron man even mentions ultimatum, except for drunk tony as a joke i think.

oh and harry got mj pregnant with a globlin child, kang is the new shield director, icemans on the cover though not in the book, kitty owns a starbucks and her dads being pretty mean to her since she was set up for murder by Jean Grey and is stuck in prison.

Some of these might be lies. but it still has that brand new day smell on it.

DeJesus on
    edited August 2009

Maybe i should have spoiler wrapped on that last post. But other than that, I`m pretty on the ball.
    we`re kicked 6 months into a future in UCS where peter does not work at the bugle, he has a MCJob, is not with mj, mj is a student reporter, peter is with gwen, who was dead in the ultimate verse until a few months ago, and The torch is moving in with Aunt May, I`m guessing it`s a weird cougar thing, he`ll soon be pete`s new unca Ben.

We are introduced to a brand new villain UCS in issue 1, who I already don`t care about.

wolverine, cyclops, dr. strange, Daredevil, half the xmen, some of the ultimates, MAGNETO, DR. DOOM all dead.

FF, there is no ff.

No one but drunk iron man even mentions ultimatum, except for drunk tony as a joke i think.

oh and harry got mj pregnant with a globlin child, kang is the new shield director, icemans on the cover though not in the book, kitty owns a starbucks and her dads being pretty mean to her since she was set up for murder by Jean Grey and is stuck in prison.

1. We were introduced to Ultimate Mysterio prior to Ultimatum, which just shows me you don't even read USM.
    2. Everything else you post is just nonsense which has nothing to do with USM or Brand New Day, and makes me think you are just completely off your meds.

Seriously though, please take this to the bitching thread, it's what it's there for and where you'd probably feel most at home.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    He could have been babbling about Ultimate Shroud, I guess? Who, at this point, I would classify more as an anti-hero who Bendis has said we have been introduced to before.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

FF, there is no ff.

The only thing you have in there that is similar to BND is the timeskip. Lets look at the points
    1. Moved 6th months. This is BNDish in what it is, not why it is. Bendis didn't do the timeskip to wipe the slate of everything, he did it because he had no desire to write about the piles of dead bodies in the Ultimate Universe. I am all for timeskipping away from the horror that was Ultimatium.

2. Peter does not work at the Bugel because it was DESTROYED. Its not like he mysteriously quit his job for no reason. Anyone who actually reads Ultimate Spider-Man knows why he doesn't work for JJ anymore.

3. He's working fast food, a common thing for teenagers to do. Its minimum wage part time work that a normal teen would have. It fits fine.

4. So he's not with MJ. That is nothing new in the Ultimate Universe. They break up and get back together every three or four story arcs. It seems perfectly plausible to me. I expect Peter and MJ to be back together again by the end of 2010.

5. MJ is a student reporter. She got this job after the Clone saga. One of the first scenes that Immoen drew when he came on board was Peter making fun of MJ because she kept saying her name wrong for a video report. This is 30+ issues established.

6.Peter with Gwen is a little strange, but not unreasonable. A teenage guy and girl not related and living together and are already friends is going to kick up the hormones. Gwen being back from the dead happened in the Clone sage, which was something like 30 issues ago + a six month gap, so in my opinion, its not a short time.

7. The Torch collapsing at Peter's door isn't unreasonable either. They're friends in the Ultimate Universe. In fact, in one scene during the Clone Saga, Johnny tells Fury that Peter is one of two friends he has, and that he'll take on all of SHIELD for Peter. With the FF not around, I can easily see Johnny going to Peter for help.

8. There is no new villain. Mysterio was the main Villain in Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 3. Ultimate Shroud acts more Anti-Hero then Villain, and Bendis says that we've met the character under the mask before.

You whole death thing is a Loeb issue. Bendis is working with what's left after Loeb shit on the whole thing and left. It really has nothing to do with UCSM 1. Everything else you posted is complete crap that has no baring what so ever on the Ultimate Universe or BND.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    AspectVoid knows what's up.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited August 2009
    AspectVoid wrote: »

FF, there is no ff.

The only thing you have in there that is similar to BND is the timeskip. Lets look at the points
    1. Moved 6th months. This is BNDish in what it is, not why it is. Bendis didn't do the timeskip to wipe the slate of everything, he did it because he had no desire to write about the piles of dead bodies in the Ultimate Universe. I am all for timeskipping away from the horror that was Ultimatium.

2. Peter does not work at the Bugel because it was DESTROYED. Its not like he mysteriously quit his job for no reason. Anyone who actually reads Ultimate Spider-Man knows why he doesn't work for JJ anymore.

3. He's working fast food, a common thing for teenagers to do. Its minimum wage part time work that a normal teen would have. It fits fine.

4. So he's not with MJ. That is nothing new in the Ultimate Universe. They break up and get back together every three or four story arcs. It seems perfectly plausible to me. I expect Peter and MJ to be back together again by the end of 2010.

5. MJ is a student reporter. She got this job after the Clone saga. One of the first scenes that Immoen drew when he came on board was Peter making fun of MJ because she kept saying her name wrong for a video report. This is 30+ issues established.

6.Peter with Gwen is a little strange, but not unreasonable. A teenage guy and girl not related and living together and are already friends is going to kick up the hormones. Gwen being back from the dead happened in the Clone sage, which was something like 30 issues ago + a six month gap, so in my opinion, its not a short time.

7. The Torch collapsing at Peter's door isn't unreasonable either. They're friends in the Ultimate Universe. In fact, in one scene during the Clone Saga, Johnny tells Fury that Peter is one of two friends he has, and that he'll take on all of SHIELD for Peter. With the FF not around, I can easily see Johnny going to Peter for help.

8. There is no new villain. Mysterio was the main Villain in Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 3. Ultimate Shroud acts more Anti-Hero then Villain, and Bendis says that we've met the character under the mask before.

You whole death thing is a Loeb issue. Bendis is working with what's left after Loeb shit on the whole thing and left. It really has nothing to do with UCSM 1. Everything else you posted is complete crap that has no baring what so ever on the Ultimate Universe or BND.

I'd lime this, but then we'd be out of lime.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, the only thing I was a little ehhhh about was Peter and Gwen being together, just because I really liked the relationship they had prior to that, as being more like siblings/best friends but I'm certainly more than willing to give it more than one panel of them kissing before judging it as a disaster of BND proportions.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited August 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Yeah, the only thing I was a little ehhhh about was Peter and Gwen being together, just because I really liked the relationship they had prior to that, as being more like siblings/best friends but I'm certainly more than willing to give it more than one panel of them kissing before judging it as a disaster of BND proportions.

See, I always wanted this dynamic to happen.

I love MJ, and I love Gwen, but there's a lot there for Peter to be attracted to. Gwen is much more independent, less needy, less emotional then MJ. I mean, if anyone is capable of handling his duel identity, it's her.

I mean, hey, "the worst that could happen" is just like a Monday for Gwen.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited August 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

I love MJ, and I love Gwen, but there's a lot there for Peter to be attracted to. Gwen is much more independent, less needy, less emotional then MJ. I mean, if anyone is capable of handling his duel identity, it's her.

Oh, no, I totally agree. It's not out of the blue for there to be an attraction, and it's definitely not ruining characterization for him and MJ to not be together, and I definitely know Bendis isn't just going to be like "they're together becuz I say so lulz." I think I'll label myself as cautiously optimistic.

I just think there needs to be more entirely sexless heterosexual guy/girl friendships, I think is my thing.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited August 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

Oh, no, I totally agree. It's not out of the blue for there to be an attraction, and it's definitely not ruining characterization for him and MJ to not be together, and I definitely know Bendis isn't just going to be like "they're together becuz I say so lulz." I think I'll label myself as cautiously optimistic.

I just think there needs to be more entirely sexless heterosexual guy/girl friendships, I think is my thing.

I agree with that too. I like what Peter and Kitty's relationship became, and where it was going. And I'm really interested to see how Peter and Jessica interact when she becomes a regular.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited August 2009
    Peter and Kitty are supposed to be together in the Ultimate Universe, why is everyone fighting this?

TexiKen on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Peter and Kitty are supposed to be together in the Ultimate Universe, why is everyone fighting this?

Because Kitty has found a much better man.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Blackjack you silly goose, there's no such thing as a platonic friendship without sexual tension between teenagers

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    darunia106 wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »

Because Kitty has found a much better man.

Bendis' alter ego does not count. That just makes it creepy.
    Blackjack you silly goose, there's no such thing as a platonic friendship without sexual tension between teenagers

Saved by the Bell has taught us the main character will tap all the girls who are platonic friends. He needs to hurry up and get on to Liz before the next Ultimatum wave hits and she dies. Look, she's MIA now, and he can't cross her off the list.

TexiKen on
    edited August 2009
    Kong isn't Bendis' alter ego just cuz he's bald.

Robos A Go Go on