As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii Sports Resort! Out now most places

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Looks like I need to play it more. I did archery for ages and never noticed a difference when I made a drawing motion.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Looks like I need to play it more. I did archery for ages and never noticed a difference when I made a drawing motion.

After you hold A on the remote, hold the chuck next to the remote. Hold Z, and pull back.

Renzo on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Awesome. Though I know I'm still going to suck at hitting the bullseye.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My only gripe with Archery is, as far as I can tell, you don't draw it like a real bow. You just hold a button to draw it. Though it makes sense in that a. there's a short fucking cable between the nunchuck and the wiimote and b. it would be hard as fuck to get it to work properly, I still would prefer to have to draw the arrow.

Pulling the nunchuk back will make the bow draw faster, but because the Nunchuk isn't super-sensitive it doesn't always work.

Brym on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Brym wrote: »
    My only gripe with Archery is, as far as I can tell, you don't draw it like a real bow. You just hold a button to draw it. Though it makes sense in that a. there's a short fucking cable between the nunchuck and the wiimote and b. it would be hard as fuck to get it to work properly, I still would prefer to have to draw the arrow.

Pulling the nunchuk back will make the bow draw faster, but because the Nunchuk isn't super-sensitive it doesn't always work.
    I just wish you could change which hand you draw with. I don't draw with my right in real life damnit I want to draw with my left hand.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Secret targets in archery! Man, there's so much stuff I'm clueless about in this game!

I just finished getting all 80 of the interest points in the free-flight. I have 70+ of them during the daytime, so need to finish up that and then start getting them for the evening and night.

I really am debating how much I want to look up and how much I want to find on my own. I did look up the last few locations in flight because I had no clue where to look (ended up being simple ones I just flew by a million times). I don't want to take away from the joy of figuring stuff out myself, but things like secret targets in archery sounds awesome and I really want to see what they are.

edit: I need to find a second Motion+

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I just finished getting all 80 of the interest points in the free-flight. I have 70+ of them during the daytime, so need to finish up that and then start getting them for the evening and night.

They're different during the 3 times of day? Oh god, I've got over 70, but I got them swapping between day, evening and night. I'm going to be going the flight game forever.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

They're different during the 3 times of day? Oh god, I've got over 70, but I got them swapping between day, evening and night. I'm going to be going the flight game forever.

You only need to get them each time if you want the stamp.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can change which hand you dram the bow with if you want, because you can change all the other games between right and left handed.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Also, I'm pretty sure you can change which hand you dram the bow with if you want, because you can change all the other games between right and left handed.

Nope. I'm left handed and my fiance is right handed. We had the setting as such, but when we play archery, its got us both set up the same way.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    SAW776 wrote: »

Nope. I'm left handed and my fiance is right handed. We had the setting as such, but when we play archery, its got us both set up the same way.

The game doesn't know which hand you're holding the remote in. Since you're holding it vertically anyway, it really shouldn't make much of a difference. My friend is a lefty and he shot just fine.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Yeah, it marks which time of the day you found it in, but each location is the same during each time of the day, just the descriptions change. But if you want the stamp, you have to find each one during each time of day. I just got all 80 during the daytime today, and will probably take a break from it so I don't ruin the fun. I just found the secret targets in archery (well, found 3 of the 4 in beginner levels) and can't hit them. Wow that is hard!

Also, table tennis is THE best. This is what I was hoping Rockstar would make when they ported over Table Tennis to the Wii. It's simply incredible! I was putting top spin, back spin, and side spin on the ball to get it all over the table and making my opponent mess up a lot. I do find that I need to recalibrate a lot during table tennis, I dunno if it's the quick motions and jerking of the controller that cause it to get off track a lot, or if it's because my batteries were getting low (1 of 4 lights).

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Yeah, it marks which time of the day you found it in, but each location is the same during each time of the day, just the descriptions change. But if you want the stamp, you have to find each one during each time of day. I just got all 80 during the daytime today, and will probably take a break from it so I don't ruin the fun. I just found the secret targets in archery (well, found 3 of the 4 in beginner levels) and can't hit them. Wow that is hard!

Also, table tennis is THE best. This is what I was hoping Rockstar would make when they ported over Table Tennis to the Wii. It's simply incredible! I was putting top spin, back spin, and side spin on the ball to get it all over the table and making my opponent mess up a lot. I do find that I need to recalibrate a lot during table tennis, I dunno if it's the quick motions and jerking of the controller that cause it to get off track a lot, or if it's because my batteries were getting low (1 of 4 lights).

Have you tried turning the sensor bar assist off? It's in the main menu options. I was getting really screwy sword and table tennis calibrations until I turned it off, and I haven't had many problems since then.

I found myself getting a bit of the ol' Wii Elbow last night while playing table tennis; ah, memories. Haven't done that since hard-core bowling sessions from the Wii launch!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'll have to try that.

I had to stop playing the bike and Frisbee games after a bit. I get tired throwing my arm out like that a bunch, even with my 2yo daughter cheering on the little dog. :D It's so cute.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I was really enjoying table tennis too until I got to the champion, who is somehow able to run from one side of the table to the other with ease, even when I'm hitting the ball with top spin. The only way I've been able to win points against her is bounce the ball off the edges of the table. My biggest complaint with Wii Sports Resort is that they've made a couple of decent games and then completely rooted the AI for them.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Have you tried turning the sensor bar assist off? It's in the main menu options. I was getting really screwy sword and table tennis calibrations until I turned it off, and I haven't had many problems since then.

Interesting. Does it do much when motion plus isn't used? Like, if I turn it off, then stop using motion plus and forget to turn it back on, does it make much of a difference?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Interesting. Does it do much when motion plus isn't used? Like, if I turn it off, then stop using motion plus and forget to turn it back on, does it make much of a difference?

The option is in the main menu of Wii Sports Resort. So Motion+ is always used there and it doesn't matter if it's turned on or off.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I found and hit all the secret targets in Archery!

What sucks though that I found about 70 i-spots in free flight during daytime, and two more during nighttime - which means to get the stamp for finding all the targets, I'd have to revisit all 80 in all 3 daytimes - because I can't remember which ones I just found during nighttime :\

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My wife bought this as a gift for me yesterday. We played it all day and it's really fun. I'm so bad a frisbee throwing, she dominated me 120 to 440. I think I really like the archery the most.

urahonky on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    last itme i played i opened up the 3rd sword even, forget what its called but you basically cut your way through an island full of people. its awesome.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    el_vicio wrote: »

Wasn't that a bitch? A couple of them aren't even visible unless you know where to aim or are a good guesser (like how I found 2-1's).

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

What sucks though that I found about 70 i-spots in free flight during daytime, and two more during nighttime - which means to get the stamp for finding all the targets, I'd have to revisit all 80 in all 3 daytimes - because I can't remember which ones I just found during nighttime :\

If you play it again, it'll show you a list of all the things you found at the end. You know, the screen where it shows you the rewards you've got for unlocking stuff. On this screen, it tells you which time period you've found each I-spot in. So as long as you're willing to go through the tedium of checking each of them, to find which ones you've found when, you'll be all right.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey, so -- can anyone help me?

I have to watch the 3 minute instructional video at least every other time I boot up the game. My saves are there, I've put 5 or 6 hours into the game, blah blah blah -- what is happening here?

Because I can't handle watching it another time. Has anyone else had this problem?

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hey, so -- can anyone help me?

Update your Wii to 4.1. That should fix it.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So yeah, I played Wii Sports Resort for a while over the weekend with a friend, and turned off Sensor Bar Assist. Didn't have to recalibrate at all, and with it on I was recalibrating every few games. Definitely should have been off by default.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    God bless you, Elkatas.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Wasn't that a bitch? A couple of them aren't even visible unless you know where to aim or are a good guesser (like how I found 2-1's).

Hm...as far as I remember, only the very last one can not be spotted unless you let the camera move around before starting the round.

edit: thanks AnteCantelope, I'll have to take a closer look at that, appreciate it.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is this hard to find right now? If I go to bestbuy/gamestop are they likely to have a copy?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My wife and I played this at a relative's house last week. Head to head swordfighting is really something else. It's amazing. I lost to an 8 year old three times in a row at first, because she just came out flailing and didn't let me practice or tell me out to play. Then I found out how to block and got better. Then I found out power was based on stroke length and I became an unstoppable killing machine.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Hm...as far as I remember, only the very last one can not be spotted unless you let the camera move around before starting the round.

edit: thanks AnteCantelope, I'll have to take a closer look at that, appreciate it.

I don't remember actually seeing the orange in the first intermediate stage until I just fired off a shot in that direction.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I put more time into this this weekend with my young nephews, and I think I'm most pleasantly surprised by the basketball. Like, I figured I was going to love the swordfighting ("the Lightsaber game" in my nephews' eyes), table tennis and archery, but I thought I was going to hate basketball and it's awesome. 3-on-3 is a lot of fun and has a great deal of strategy involved.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I haven't had the money to buy it yet. I want to today, but my money is buying me Metroid Prime Trilogy tonight. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I haven't had the money to buy it yet. I want to today, but my money is buying me Metroid Prime Trilogy tonight. :P

God damnit. That reminds me, the collector's edition seems to be US only :(

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    edited August 2009
    My friend hates basketball. I can get about 22 or so on the 3 point shootout and he can get 1 or 2. He always yells at me that the game doesn't make any sense because black man shouldn't be getting his ass beat so badly at a basketball.

I always play it though. He just doesn't understand how to do the hand motions.

urahonky on
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    My friend hates basketball. I can get about 22 or so on the 3 point shootout and he can get 1 or 2. He always yells at me that the game doesn't make any sense because black man shouldn't be getting his ass beat so badly at a basketball.

Did you sit him down and explain carefully how it's just like ringing a bell?

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Uh, tonight? You mean next week?

Renzo on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Renzo wrote: »

Uh, tonight? You mean next week?

Doh, I just looked it up. I thought it was tonight...now I'm sad. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Falstaff wrote: »

Did you sit him down and explain carefully how it's just like ringing a bell?

He hit me. Then the game showed the screen, and he hit me again. I couldn't stop laughing. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've only played basketball in single player so far, but it seemed like a complete mess to me. 3 point shootout was okay, but the 3 on 3 just seemed lame. Not being able to continue possession after a steal or a block really kills the flow of what might have been a fun game. Also I refuse to play a basketball game sans rebounding. Even if I have no control over player movement, at least let the computer scramble for it or something.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

My 5-year-old nephew couldn't figure out basketball—he kept trying to throw it granny style. :) But he did a surprisingly good job at archery. Mostly he just wanted to waggle the Lightsabers around until he fell down, which was pretty much what all the other kids wanted to do as well.

And I watched my 10-year-old nephew bust through 13 or 14 stages of Swordplay Showdown; it gets pretty tough at later levels.

Lunker on
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

My 5-year-old nephew couldn't figure out basketball—he kept trying to throw it granny style. :) But he did a surprisingly good job at archery. Mostly he just wanted to waggle the Lightsabers around until he fell down, which was pretty much what all the other kids wanted to do as well.

And I watched my 10-year-old nephew bust through 13 or 14 stages of Swordplay Showdown; it gets pretty tough at later levels.

I wanted to fight a dragon or something in that final volcano level. Some of the settings for Showdown are surprisingly immersive and moody.

By the end though, I'd pretty much mastered the art of penetrating blocks, so no matter how many 3-hearts came at me the result was the same. Doesn't mean I don't feel like a badass samurai every time I play it though.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.