As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

• Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm really excited about this. I hope they don't fuck it up and make it a generic wowalike. Although I heard that Jeff Strain left Arenanet recently which feels like a bit of a shame.

Rook on
  • Options
    Dr. GeroDr. Gero Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    GW1 was a great game. I remember finishing the campaign 4 AM on the day of my SATs. Good times.

I just hope you'll be able to jump this time.

Dr. Gero on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Keeping my eye out. I enjoyed GW1 in the early days but got a late start.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Keen to see what they're doing with it. Curious to see whether they'll keep up the great tech.

devoir on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    urg, i forgot about GW2. Was there going to be a monthly fee?

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

No, absolutely free like GW1. Rumor is a trailer this week in Gamescon(or whatever that convention is called in Germany).

Also, Jeff Strain left NCSoft, not ArenaNet. He left ArenaNet a year or so ago when he was promoted to head of NCWest.

GW1 is still a fun game, I still play it a lot :)

Geod on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've really never understood the obsession with a jump button.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Rook wrote: »

They've said you'll be able to jump/swim in this one... but yeah, we'll actually have to see how much it adds.

Geod on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    welp, I'm still hopeful, having put way too much time in to GW 1

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

It's just something harmless to jam on during downtime. It annoys me to no end to play a game without jumping, makes downtime just that much worse.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Geod wrote: »

No, absolutely free like GW1.

Excellent.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is awesome, i was just discussing with my friend the other night "What happened to GW2? I heard about it for a while then it kind of dropped off the radar" and now here we go, info forthcoming. I can't wait, GW1 was probably one of the only MMO's i ever sunk a serious amount of time into.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Geod wrote: »

They've said you'll be able to jump/swim in this one... but yeah, we'll actually have to see how much it adds.

Having to walk all the way around tiny ledges and fences was a pain.

Dr. Gero on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah the whole "this world is made up entirely of canyons and arbitrary water/small fence limits" thing was very old-school and annoying, to say the least. Hopefully they've thought up better ways to lead you along the path than a world made entirely out of mazes.

I did like Guild Wars, I thought it was gorgeous, but it did very much lack an interesting atmosphere. Insta-teleporting across cities was a lot more convenient than flying ala WoW, and is something they'd probably unfortunately keep, but it does kinda ruin immersiveness. Especially when you get a quest saying "LEAVE THIS PLACE. You must continue forth whilst we fight to the death, and hold the rear guard!" (re ascalon) and then you come back later and they're all "sup there's a big dude we need you to kill olol"

The always instanced world was also great, but very depressingly devoid of life. Especially since there'd be a beaten track, but it would make no difference if you kept to it or not, since it was a battle every twelve metres no matter where you went.

theSquid on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Be interesting if they utilised a similar phasing technique to WoW, mixed in with their already significant instancing.

devoir on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This is currently one of my most anticipated games.

Period.

Only Diablo 3... and maybe Bayonetta - okay, and maybe Scribblenauts - come close. :P

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Color me interested, though I can't say I entirely trust their game design decisions after basically destroying any fun I had with the game upon releasing Nightfall.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I kept meaning to buy the expansions and restart playing using the bots to play, but never got around to it.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Don't. Teamplay with a bunch of friends while chilling on Vent was the fun, and heroes sucked all the fun right out of the game.

Man, to think about all the time I put into that game before Nightfall came out... still have a lot of good memories from early beta :)

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I don't know many people who'd be up for it, and even less who'd be able to continually play with me over the weeks it'd take to complete the campaigns. =/

devoir on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I can help occasionally if anyone needs it in GW1. Just PM "Geod of Exile." You could get Nightfall to get heroes... but yeah, playing with people is way more fun. Nightfall definitely did kill some of the grouping.

Anyways, for GW2, missions will be instanced, and explorable areas are persistent. Or so they've said so far.

Geod on
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I really quite enjoyed the original Guild Wars. It was my first "MMO" and I really got into it for about 4 months back in 2005.

The missions were pretty rad, IMO, and I liked how the game's story progressed as you went along, without it actually being a dynamic world. The journey from Ascalon to Lion's Gate, as I remember it, was a pretty thrilling experience. However, the later missions felt like they lostsome of that charm.

But no matter. I also quite enjoyed the PvP. I enjoyed Guild versus Guild warfare, but I really loved the original Tombs of the Primeval Kings, which was the original jumping point for entering the Hall of Heroes. I understand that the HoH has really gone down in popularity, but back in the day it was all the rage.

No one really knew what they were doing in the original Halls, so we would make up whatever class/skill setups we felt would be a winner and then we'd give it a few tries. My team was actually one of the first (if not the first) to come up with Spirit Spam. You'd basically have a few Spirits, which are stationary NPCs summoned by Rangers that don't move or attack or anything, but give everyone in a 100 yard radius a buff or debuff that cannot be removed. So we would basically just throw down a few dozen of every spirit, guaranteeing that the other team couldn't kill them all. It was really great for holding the Halls, and was how I got my Rank 4 wolf emote!

Anyway, so I'm interested in reading about how Guild Wars 2 is.

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Man, everyone was shit scared of the Korean teams back when I played.

Dr. Gero on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Dr. Gero wrote: »
    Man, everyone was shit scared of the Korean teams back when I played.

Dude there were some Korean teams that absolutely ruined my team in PvP matches.

I think they were witches.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Also as much as I disliked the Factions campaign itself, I liked the faction battles thing.

It was kind of a chaotic free for all with a few of us actually trying to capture towers.

Still, being a crippling shot sort of ranger was especially fun in those matches.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    FYI... trailer tomorrow at 6am EST (there's probably going to be a live feed on justin.tv). They're showing it at GamesCon in Germany, thus the early time. From what I've heard, it will also probably be on www.guildwars2.com.

Geod on
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Still, being a crippling shot sort of ranger was especially fun in those matches.

Crippling Shot flag running was awesome in GvG.

I loved running around being the sole flag runner attempting to kill the other flag runner while trying to stay away from the other team, while trying to stay alive. It was so much fun.

I remember winning the Halls of Heroes for the very first time. It was intense. I believe we lost right after we won, but still.

I don't know if you guys were playing way back when and actually paid attention to the Hall of Heroes winners spam, but if you ever saw Five O'clock News on there, I was likely in it.

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    yeah in GvG pretty much the only thing i did was cripshot flag runner :P

it was some good times

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Finally going to get some solid information. I hope we get more than a CG trailer, but even that would be welcome after waiting for info since EotN release. Plus they will probably follow it with some steady information in the near future (I can hope).

GW2 most anticipated game on my list by a long shot. 8-)

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, I remember laughing my ass off after the first few times I went up against some Koreans. "Go for the guy with the squiggles in his name!" "Which one?" "That one over there, the monk!"

In regards to GW2, I am pretty fucking pumped for this game, been waiting for it for awhile now. I was hoping they weren't going to add a jump feature just to piss off all those who moaned over the lack of one in the first game but at least this way now those people will play and shut up. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    Man, I remember laughing my ass off after the first few times I went up against some Koreans. "Go for the guy with the squiggles in his name!" "Which one?" "That one over there, the monk!"

In regards to GW2, I am pretty fucking pumped for this game, been waiting for it for awhile now. I was hoping they weren't going to add a jump feature just to piss off all those who moaned over the lack of one in the first game but at least this way now those people will play and shut up. :P

I just don't like the idea of such a photo-realistic world wherein your almighty slayer of titans gets stumped by a picket fence.

theSquid on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Geod on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Holy shit. That looks amazing. I was getting a little bored of the pseudo 2D animation, then _wham_.

Their engine and art looks incredible.

FAQ has a bunch of info: http://guildwars2.com/en/faq/

devoir on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Wow. :O

Definitely looking forward to this one.

Dr. Gero on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I know some furries that will be VERY happy that they can now play as Charr. Ugh.

Can't wait to find out more info, like what classes will be available.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I hope we get more weapon/shield skins without having to rely on rare perfect drops and paying a crazy price for them.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I know some furries that will be VERY happy that they can now play as Charr. Ugh.

The fact that some people, who just happen to like non-human characters, will enjoy playing as Charr diminishes your own enjoyment of the game? That's... kinda sad.

Personally, I'm psyched that they allow for tons of variety in said races in this game - I love having options available.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Caedere wrote: »

The fact that some people, who just happen to like non-human characters, will enjoy playing as Charr diminishes your own enjoyment of the game? That's... kinda sad.

Personally, I'm psyched that they allow for tons of variety in said races in this game - I love having options available.

"Minotaurs are cool. BUT WAIT A MINUTE, YOU WANT TO PLAY AS ONE??? THAT'S SICK, YO!!!"

I like anthropomorphic characters. Doesn't mean I want to yiff any.

Also, game looks gorgeous. It's day one, baby!

aunsoph on
  • Options
    NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Who wouldn't want to play a Charr? Those dudes are pretty badass!

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Holy living fuck I want this so bad.

I've put a ridiculous number of hours into the first game, and this just looks to continue being excellent. Their art style is so unmistakeably unique and incredible, and the trailer showed off some really cool new additions.

I saw a proper day/night cycle, while the original game had set times for each zone. They showed off underwater bits, cause there's swimming now.

But I think the most jaw dropping thing is they've finally come up with an engine that actually allows them to render the insane concept art they have. In the first game they would show all this incredible concept art with massive cities and towering forests, but the engine just couldn't do it, though it still looked good. Now Divinity's Reach and the Charr city both look ridiculously good, and HUGE.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png