As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

By Dominion we mean the expansion, not the latex and whips. [EVE Online Recruitment]

KorebanKoreban Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
Merch Industrial Recruitment Post (Updated 4/14/10)

Bonjour. Un plaisir de te parler encore. Merch Industrial recrute encore pour notre aventure française de légion étrangère.

For those of you who aren't French, we are now! We're taking up residence with our long time space brosefs, Tau Ceti Federation in their space to allow us to assist our Northern Coalition friends against our old nemesis Sir Molle and his gaggle of sycophants in what is looking to shape up to be the Third Great War. As always, this is the best time to join us.

We're first-and-a-half class citizens now! Vive la France!

If you're interested in the Penny-Arcade corporation, Merch Industrial, read these instructions carefully.

We have some very simple requirements to join Merch Industrial. You must have a Penny Arcade account and have contributed to the community. There. That's it. We are a corporation for Penny Arcade community members to play alongside other Penny Arcade community members. We've loosened our restrictive recruiting standards to allow for people who may have previously been worried about not being able to get in to apply.

Caveat: Hostile corp history will still be rejected, so our fine forums friend from Finfleet, the dude from Aggression(dot) and angry lowsec pirate girl from the EVE Chat thread can feel confident that Sonelon will be rejecting you. Everyone else is welcome. Oh, yeah, Sonelon is our new recruitment guy. Courthouse (that's me) has stepped away from that role to focus on actually playing EVE for a while.

This isn't rampant elitism, we want to play with people who share the common internet culture found on these boards. We're not looking for join-for-guild types of internet nomads. This forum has a culture and we're all playing together because we identified with that culture. Due to that we've suffered catastrophe after catastrophe in the last 2 months and emerged just as strong (although billions of isk lighter in the wallets) when most every other group in EVE or any other game would have splintered and broke.

We also want to weed out the spies who can't get into [LODRA] and think that Merch is a free pass into the alliance. If you've got a corp history a mile long, you know what this game's about, you know who the Goons are and if you've been around PA for a while, you've probably had a clue who Merch Industrial is. If you didn't join already and/or have hostile corp history we're going to be brutal with our scrutiny. Convo or EVEMail Sonelon before applying.

We're here to play EVE with some other chill people who 'get' cocks dicks lol jokes.

How to join Merch Industrial:

a. Create a trial account by going to http://www.eve-online.com and registering a new account
- OR –
b. Post in this thread/find a friend with Steam/Access Steam for a free 21 day trial.
- OR -
c. If you know someone who plays already, ask them to refer you using their EvE account and you get an extended trial, and that person gets 30 days free if you subscribe.
- OR -
d. Reactivate your old account

1. Go to https://wiki.goonfleet.com and check out the publicly viewable pages about character creation. [Some of these are really outdated but it's basically still the best resource available anywhere on the web, including EVE's own wiki and tutorial.]

2. Create a character. Using the goonfleet wiki is recommended as it provides a better explaination of the process than the tutorial, especially if you find yourself interested in particular aspects of EVE (mining, production, marketing, pvp...)

3. DO THE TUTORIAL. I repeat. DO THE TUTORIAL. The tutorial is about 2-3 hours or so long and it covers the most basic of functionality in the game. If you’re the type with adolescent or adult ADHD that never reads the manuals and always skips cutscenes in favor of the ‘I’ll figure it out’ mentality, take a Xanax then, OHGOD DO THE TUTORIAL, it was revamped in Apocrypha and it's really informative, it also provides you with skillbooks that you'll use towards your career path and several million isk worth of loot and rewards. It's totally worth it. I did it again, recently, for an alt account I set up. Trust me on this one. There are sections for people who want to do combat (pvp/missions), industry, exploration and mercantilism. Do one, or all of them. They really are helpful.

*Important Step*

4. When you’ve completed the tutorial, go to the People & Places button and select 'Corporation' from the pull down menu. Put 'Merch Industrial' in the box. When you hit search and see our corp come up, right-click on the corp logo and select Show Info. From there you should see an Apply to Corp button. Be sure to include your PA forums name in your application. (You can apply to the corp from any station in the game now, but you must be docked up.)

If you have not received a reply or been accepted into the corporation after 48 hours, send a brief in-game EVEMail to Sonelon, Merch Industrial’s recruitment director. If he rejects your application, check your EVEMail inbox. He's got an itchy 'reject' finger, and he may have asked you to reapply because he hit reject on accident. If you have no such message and really *are* a special snowflake who was rejected against the will of the creator of life, the universe and everything, you can appeal to Courthouse via EVEMail.

5. Once accepted you should click on the Corporation button and check under Bulletins for useful information. DO NOT REPLY TO ANY CORP OR ALLIANCE MAIL. A reply to any corp-wide or alliance-wide mail is sent to every person in the respective organization. In fact, don’t send any mail for the first couple weeks; just ask for help in corp chat.

6. Go to http://forums.merchindustrial.org and register for an account there under your EVE pilot’s name. Don’t use your PA forums name (if different from your EVE pilot). Post to introduce yourself, remark on how awesome the forums are now, visit off-topic for some truly horrible posting (please keep coming back) and vote Courthouse ’10. (That's me, Koreban, I'm the Courthouse. Flattery works. So does bribery.)

7. Spy clause: You will be called a spy. You are a spy. We know you’re a spy and it’s only a matter of time until we catch you in your spying ways.
**This not so much anymore since we don't actually own any space** Still, thick skins are expected, see part 10.

8. Use corp chat. Use it often. Seriously. We love newbies. We'll give you money if you ask for it. We'll help you get to wherever we're at or show you the ropes. You just have to ask. Whenever you log in, chat it up with us. EVE is a miserable game to play by yourself. It can be the most amazing experience you've had behind a keyboard with some friends though.

9. Don't call it a guild, Don't call your character a toon, and no it's not like WoW at all and most of the players in EvE are either WoW refugees/post-addicts or never played it and never want to hear about it. Any or all of the above will get you shot by Courthouse, (I'll totally do it too).

10. Finally, a warning (This coincides with the spy clause): If you don't have a thick skin, don't apply. You will be mocked, you will be called a spy, you will read words you never though you'd see in chat windows, you will see every racial and ethnic slur used hourly and it will offend all of your pseudo-PC space bushido e-honor sensibilities. Four letter word: cope. When you die and lose all your stuff you will be laughed at. Life is hard, and so is EVE. You've been warned.

(okay, this is like half an edit. I had a bunch of shit to post, then this French thing came up and I couldn't use the old stuff, but I didn't have time to make a bunch of new stuff, so, sorry, this is what you get. PM me if you have a picture or something you want me to put in the OP.)

Koreban on

• PagoonPagoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, this week we're purging chracters inactive for > 90 days. You are still welcome to reapp if you decide to come back.

Pagoon on
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The more I play this game, the more I enjoy it.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Being in MERCHI is pretty cool. Being a member corp of GoonSwarm really allows you the freedom to experience the top end PvP in EVE, in a winning environment. As much as GoonSwarm loves to talk about how we're the worst players in EVE, the reality is we have some great EVE minds in GS that keep the rest of the lemmings moving in the right direction.

Always wanted to take a battleship for a spin in an epic battle? You'll get to do that, a lot, in MERCHI.
    Always wanted to fly capital ships? You'll get to do that in MERCHI as well.
    Always wanted to build a space jew empire in deep space? MERCHI is a great place to do that as well.

Courthouse put it best in the OP when he said that joining MERCHI and integrating in to GoonSwarm is basically the best chance you'll ever have to jump right in to the meat of EVE and participate directly in galaxy shaping events.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am always amazed at how far MerchI has gone. From the days of yesteryear living in Housh where we were the constant victims of Space Pirates, our first Wang Star, the first time we organized ourselves to actually fight against the space pirates that were plaguing us. Good times, good times.

I don't even recognize MerchI anymore. I suppose being "purged" from the corp will not be so bad.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Not Uncle DaveNot Uncle Dave Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I might fall in to the 4 year old account and almost never posts category.

Regardless, I started up EVE a month and a half ago and ended up with the Southern Cross boys- and it's quite nice, except for the fact very few of them are in my (GMT) timezone, and that the designated training corp is swelling with pilots that can't tell their arse from their elbow. I'm at the stage where I think I know more than I know, but I know that- and yet, flying around in corp standard fits and ganking random battleships without the kind of overarching RTSness of sovereignty and nulspace isn't interesting me any more. I've learnt the very basics of fleet movement and operation, and am a successful blunt instrument for any fleet commander to bludgeon with.

IGN is Cryohazard, Gallente drone whore. I am aware that my character looks like a gay black man in a freezer.

I have a mission running Dominix for the majority of the time when no operations are running, but in Goonswarm space I'm hoping things will get a little more exciting, and i'll get a chance to actually use all the ISK that's mounting up in my wallet. I like this game, but I don't feel like I'm really playing it yet...

Not Uncle Dave on
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I might fall in to the 4 year old account and almost never posts category.

Regardless, I started up EVE a month and a half ago and ended up with the Southern Cross boys- and it's quite nice, except for the fact very few of them are in my (GMT) timezone, and that the designated training corp is swelling with pilots that can't tell their arse from their elbow. I'm at the stage where I think I know more than I know, but I know that- and yet, flying around in corp standard fits and ganking random battleships without the kind of overarching RTSness of sovereignty and nulspace isn't interesting me any more. I've learnt the very basics of fleet movement and operation, and am a successful blunt instrument for any fleet commander to bludgeon with.

IGN is Cryohazard, Gallente drone whore. I am aware that my character looks like a gay black man in a freezer.

I have a mission running Dominix for the majority of the time when no operations are running, but in Goonswarm space I'm hoping things will get a little more exciting, and i'll get a chance to actually use all the ISK that's mounting up in my wallet. I like this game, but I don't feel like I'm really playing it yet...

I look forward to your application.

Ethea on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait, I can reactivate an old account for five days? For free? Like, no-bullshit, no-strings-attached free? o_O

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • RaiekRaiek Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Excellent, Deepcrows sounds like exactly what I'm looking for right now in EVE. Just don't have the time for 0.0 with the cool kids, awesome as it sounds. Time to pack up and move out to Zimse!

Raiek on
    edited August 2009
    Wait, I can reactivate an old account for five days? For free? Like, no-bullshit, no-strings-attached free? o_O

Hah, I just now realized this myself. Maybe the OP should make that a little bigger. I came back to the thread cause I thought the idea of a free 5 day trail, when they used to be 14 days was bullshit, only to find out its for returning players.

I might sign on with the Deepcrows then cause they sound like old-skool MerchI.

Axen on
  • KorebanKoreban Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Axen wrote: »

Hah, I just now realized this myself. Maybe the OP should make that a little bigger. I came back to the thread cause I thought the idea of a free 5 day trail, when they used to be 14 days was bullshit, only to find out its for returning players.

Sized appropriately. :winky:

Koreban on
    edited August 2009

Hah, I just now realized this myself. Maybe the OP should make that a little bigger and bolder and italicized in motherfucking lime. I came back to the thread cause I thought the idea of a free 5 day trail, when they used to be 14 days was bullshit, only to find out its for returning players.

I'll have to do this later on to see just how much stuff I left floating on my old Caldari pilot.

PeregrineFalcon on
    edited August 2009
    Koreban wrote: »

Sized appropriately. :winky:

Truly you're a man after my own heart. :D

Axen on
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Gave me an error, apparently that 5day thing expired on august 3rd :P

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
    edited August 2009
    I have some great capital battle screenshots I'll post when I get home, just to show off some of EVE's epicness at the high end.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You can get a 21day trial from a referral or through steam

smokmnky on
    edited August 2009
    smokmnky wrote: »
    You can get a 21day trial from a referral or through steam

But then we would have to make new characters. :(

Axen on
  • Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I never did finish those other four pictures I promised for the recruitment post did I? Not much I can do about it when I don't have access to a computer for the last three weeks because the video card in my Laptop died and the last thing on my mind was finishing those pictures. Still feel like a dick though because I said I would do something and didn't do it. :?

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm Vorick, EX-MerchI and current CEO of Deepcrows Unlimited. Until I pick out some human resources officers for Deepcrows, I'll try to be online as much as possible to accept and help out new players, so feel free to convo or mail me in game.

I should say something here, but to be honest I got kind of blindsided by this post. I need to go set up Deepcrow's starbase and get everything prepared for the membership deluge I'm hoping for.

Bremen on
    edited August 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Gave me an error, apparently that 5day thing expired on august 3rd :P

Ugh, I was given the link last night and told to put it in, never checked it myself. Soz m8.
    I never did finish those other four pictures I promised for the recruitment post did I? Not much I can do about it when I don't have access to a computer for the last three weeks because the video card in my Laptop died and the last thing on my mind was finishing those pictures. Still feel like a dick though because I said I would do something and didn't do it.

Yeah, when I realized you hadn't been to the boards in 16 days I just went with it.
    I'm Vorick, EX-MerchI and current CEO of Deepcrows Unlimited. Until I pick out some human resources officers for Deepcrows, I'll try to be online as much as possible to accept and help out new players, so feel free to convo or mail me in game.

Man, I told you last night that I'd be doing this new post this morning.

Koreban on
    edited August 2009
    Are the Deepcrows and MerchI on friendly terms? Cause I remember the Dark Times in the Way Long Ago and do not wish to see Arcadian fighting Arcadian.

Axen on
    edited August 2009
    Are the Deepcrows and MerchI on friendly terms? Cause I remember the Dark Times in the Way Long Ago and do not wish to see Arcadian fighting Arcadian.

If there isn't yet, there will be positive standings on both sides and I'm personally hoping to see some MRCHIs get involved in DCROW ops. I will be putting my alt in Deepcrows and I'll even FC some ops when we've got people.

Deepcrows will likely have docking rights at merchi stations due to standings, but they will be corp level, not alliance level standings, so goons will shoot dcrows.

Koreban on
  • BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Deepcrows and MerchI will be friendly. Goonswarm doesn't like setting anyone blue they don't have to, though, so if you want to fly in goon fleets you'll need to join MerchI.

Bremen on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I gave EVE a try at some point, but the tutorial bugged out and I never did anything. I might give the 21 trial a try.

Peewi on
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Like the recruitment post said, there isn't a better time to join with MerchI, or the Crows.

I've been around the universe in different corporations and alliances, but playing with fellow PA'ers has been the most fun of my spaceship career.

Some recent highlights of the battles we've taken part in over the past week.
    -Destruction of a Triumvirate Titan. (The largest class ship in the game, valued at ~ $4000)
    -One of the largest fleet engagements yet with over 1000 pilots in a single system.
    -A second massive engagement where over 150 capital ships were destroyed.

Though if you're not into fighting , Merch offers any number of ways you can play the game.

So don't worry, as serious as the OP might come across, we're a very chill group of players.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Avynte wrote: »
    Like the recruitment post said, there isn't a better time to join with MerchI, or the Crows.

I've been around the universe in different corporations and alliances, but playing with fellow PA'ers has been the most fun of my spaceship career.

Some recent highlights of the battles we've taken part in over the past week.
    -Destruction of a Triumvirate Titan. (The largest class ship in the game, valued at ~ $4000)
    -One of the largest fleet engagements yet with over 1000 pilots in a single system.
    -A second massive engagement where over 150 capital ships were destroyed.

Though if you're not into fighting , Merch offers any number of ways you can play the game.

So don't worry, as serious as the OP might come across, we're a very chill group of players.

This is one of the reasons I want to get back into EVE, the chance to grief assholes out of tangible, real-world, assets. :D

PeregrineFalcon on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Apparently my two year old trial account still exists. Is it possible to completely delete it and make a new trial account with the same username? Or will I'll just have to come up with a new username?

Peewi on
  • alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd love to fly with either group, honestly. I fly ingame as TheAlqadim and I'll be contacting you guys as soon as my ovarian bearing buddy at home will allow me to have some time tonight ;)

alqadim on
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    deep crows

oh god what is going, fire everywhere

I don't understand why a separate corporation is needed. MerchI is already very casual, doesn't require PvP, and has no requirements other than "member of PA community". Assuming Deep Crow gains any significant membership, they will be people who somehow manage to fail that meager test.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Part of me wants to go back, but another part of me wants to have good grades in my classes.

Why cant I just have a mixture of the two parts? Like that middle ice dispenser that gives you an equal amount of chocolate and vanilla ice cream?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If I wasn't going away in a few weeks I'd be all over this

My character has done the rounds in 0.0 for the past year or two, I'm really burnt out on it all. Would love to go back to some low sec pirating and such.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Avynte wrote: »
    (tri's' titan loss)

This is one of the reasons I want to get back into EVE, the chance to grief assholes out of tangible, real-world, assets. :D

The best part about this whole battle was that the pilot, had just joined Tri two days earlier, was let in only because of his titan.

This was also his first time flying it into battle.

When we blew it up, one of the leading members that runs their killboard (site for hosting all records of kills/deaths) raged and shut down the service. After Triumvirate leaders coaxed him into bringing back the site, he disabled all comments, and altered the board so it looks like they are more efficient in their battle against us than reality.

Word is the Titan pilot himself is on the way to being kicked out.

All because we crushed their ego.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Janin wrote: »
    deep crows

oh god what is going, fire everywhere

I don't understand why a separate corporation is needed. MerchI is already very casual, doesn't require PvP, and has no requirements other than "member of PA community". Assuming Deep Crow gains any significant membership, they will be people who somehow manage to fail that meager test.

Because we are starting to clamp down on what "member of the PA community" means ("yah, your account may be two years old, but you have 5 posts, no you aren't getting in you spy"), and if people just want to mine all day and run missions, 0.0 is not the place to do it, especially not Delve which is consistently a "hot zone".

GnomeTank on
  • EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hmm, I may have to resub for this. Flying around in PA gangs is the best.

Ellthiteren on
  • HuntedHunted Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    The First time i tried eve was after a bunch of friends convinced me to try it , and after my two week trial i decided it was not for me and quit .

The problem was that the learning curve and the things on offer in ''Empire space'' Didnt really seem to give me any enjoyment.

That all changed when i tried again and was let into merchi through mutual friends , 0.0 space was completly different and a buzz that i didnt think you could get from ''push button''.

The guys in merchi are chill dudes and there is always help avaliable through the active forums (with an off-topic that my terrible posting is even allowed in ) and active in game corp chat , lots of group activities no matter what part of the game be it that you enjoy - production / mining / ratting / or my personal favourite pvp.

With various incentives for new players and start up help from the get go you really couldnt have a better way to get introduced into the eve universe of interweb spaceships , It is not everyones cup of tea , but considering the free trials avaliable and the option to begin living in the greatest space in eve i highly reccomend you give it a go , you may just find yourself enjoying any number of choices to do what ever the hell you like.

The fact is that there is to much to actually just list in a post so come check us out , i could always use some more help destroying other peoples expensive toys

I like to make other people cry.

Mostly from my posting.

Hunted on
    edited August 2009
    Hunted wrote: »
    Stuff

Spy.

Dr.Oblivious on

Bad+Dreamer.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Stuff

Spy.

buttes

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • HuntedHunted Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    Darmak wrote: »
    Stuff

Spy.

buttes

Donges

Hunted on
  • XikulisXikulis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

buttes

Donges

You guys are horrible..

z

Xikulis on
    edited August 2009
    Xikulis wrote: »

buttes

Donges

You guys are horrible..

z

It's you, you're the horrible one.
    And by horrible I mean horrible spy.

Dr.Oblivious on

Bad+Dreamer.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Xikulis wrote: »

buttes

Donges

You guys are horrible..

z

You wish, spy.

o

Darmak on