As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Adventure Comics/Serial comics

ScoobaShagScoobaShag Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Graphic Violence
Just recently, I've been looking around the internets for webcomics other than the gag-a-day humor strips. Stuff that trends more towards the long story arc style comics. So far I've found Rice-Boy and that's a treat, But I'm still hungry for more, does anybody have any recommendations for adventure style webcomics or really webcomics that have a definite story-line with a beginning, middle, and end?

ScoobaShag on

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Munch on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Order of the Stick or Erfworld are both at www.giantitp.com if you like to mix comics and tabletop gaming stuff. I read through Order of the Stick because it gets linked so much on Tvtropes.

Erfworld starts really slow, but it does get better once the world gets more fleshed out.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • ScoobaShagScoobaShag Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh yeah, I forgot about Erfworld, I had read the first dozen or so pages some time ago, I think I'm gonna have to get back on that.

Thanks. I'll make sure to take a look at all of those.

ScoobaShag on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    To expand this discussion to in print comics, I really fucking like Milton Caniff's Steve Canyon.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Pirate Club was an SLG publication a while back and the creator, Derek Hunter has turned the series into webcomics, They are planned for print eventually so aren't quite webcomic formatted, but they are still great.

http://pirateclub.com/

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
    edited August 2009
    The Milton Caniff story sounds like it would be difficult to get a hold of. I imagine it's probably kind of old. As for Pirate Club, that's definitely pretty cool!

ScoobaShag on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Warren Ellis and Paul Duffield are doing Freakangels. It is about a group of psychics trying to put the world back together again. Start here, at the beginning.

DouglasDanger on
    edited August 2009
    ScoobaShag wrote: »
    The Milton Caniff story sounds like it would be difficult to get a hold of. I imagine it's probably kind of old. As for Pirate Club, that's definitely pretty cool!

Looking helps. There are plenty collections of adventure serials out there.

I've got the Fermosa in Dire Straights, the 2.00 one down at the bottom, and it's good. In a lot of the reprints of his work, they rescanned the original art, and print it pre-trimmed. I'll scan some sometime to show.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited August 2009
    That's awesome, I'm just surprised is all. That was like looking for Corto Maltese in english, all I've ever found was Brazilian Eagle and that was hella expensive. Fortunately the Steve Canyon books look decidedly cheaper.

ScoobaShag on
    edited August 2009
    luckily Milton Caniff is a fairly big name in the serial comics bid'ness, so he has his share of published stuff. I think he may have been one of the artists that Dennis Kitchens did so much work publishing stuff from.

One of the things I dig doing is finding the microfilms for an old newspaper, and start reading the comics throughout the 50s. I do it at my University a good bit, and I have to be in the same newspapers for one of my jobs, so that's cool.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited August 2009
    Well now you've got me pumped to look up more Milton Caniff stuff. Dennis Kitchens doesn't strike me as a familiar name. Should I know about him?

ScoobaShag on
    edited August 2009
    He's behind Kitchen Sink Press, which is a goldmine of publications of comic artists from the mid 20th century.

The only bad thing is that they seem to do small printings, so the books they put out can be difficult to find.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Seconding Charles Christopher.

That's how you do a webcomic.

Godfather on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Girl Genius gets a lot of shit talked about it in the SE webcomics thread, but is actually very good.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, Phil Foglio's style hasn't changed in decades.

That reminds me, I need to post some of his Angel and the Ape mini-series one of these days.

Munch on
    edited August 2009
    Girl Genius gets a lot of shit talked about it in the SE webcomics thread, but is actually very good.

the front page looks like horseshit. You've failed to win me over. Show me something better from it.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited August 2009
    wait, that looks like shit? Ah well. I do have to complain about the frontpage entry though. Is there any purpose to it? No wait, there's a purpose I just don't see why you couldn't do that stuff in a sidebar or navigation area.

ScoobaShag on
    edited August 2009
    apparently the front randomly loads images. some much worse than others.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

the front page looks like horseshit. You've failed to win me over. Show me something better from it.

Nah, I don't waste time catering to assholes with no taste.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited August 2009
    I've never known someone to sum up my character so accurately and completely after such a brief interaction.

ManonvonSuperock on