As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel Solicits - November 2009 (Spoilers)

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    I bet David Finch's wife is super fast.

:winky:

TexiKen on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm pretty sure X-Factor sells well?

About 31,000 per issue, which is rather good for a quirky title with a bunch of B-listers.

It could be pushed back a bit because the 50th issue, which is in stores in October, is double-sized.

Munch on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, doesn't it regularly sell out or something?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I remember last week or the week before there were big massive ads for Issue 50, so I doubt it's been canceled at all.

Runaways didn't get an october solicit either, did it? Maybe that actually is canned?

HadjiQuest on
    edited August 2009
    I know sales for Runaways have plummeted.

As has the actual quality of the book, so no big loss if it is canned.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    God, I fucking miss BKV on that big hard.

I'd even take Whedon back. His run had it's flaws, but they're flaws that could easily be fixed. I liked it more than Moore's or what's-her-faces who I haven't really given a chance because of who she killed.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Each new writer on Runaways manages to make all the previous writers seem that much better.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2009
    I thought I was the only one here who didn't like Immonen's take on the characters.

And why has there been no Real McCoy references in the series yet?

TexiKen on
    edited August 2009
    Immonen is basically a fangirl that gets to have her "ttly awsum runaways fanfix" made canon. It's never a good sign when a pre-book interview basically boils down to "I'm going to kill someone! And bring someone else back! And there will be MORE KISSING"

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited August 2009
    God, I fucking miss BKV on that big hard.

What the hell was I talking about here o_O

Faynor on
    edited August 2009
    I was wondering that, too, but I didn't want to judge. :lol:

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited August 2009
    Book, maybe? Damn you, Freudian slip!

Faynor on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    but who did the kissing

thats important

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    everyone kissed everyone

all the time

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Old Lace and Victor made out

Awkward

Faynor on
    edited August 2009
    Quesada makes no sense. Marriage is bad, smoking is bad, but fat chicks? Come on back to life, Gert!

TexiKen on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    but Gert was awesome

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2009
    Are you dissing Gert

I can't tell if you're dissing Gert

But if you're dissing Gert we are going to have some words

Faynor on
    edited August 2009
    Gert was a great character because she was an awful character.

She was basically the perfect representation of one of those really annoying scene kids that think they're so much deeper than everyone else just because they listen to indie music only.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited August 2009
    It's sad that the first thing you think about with Gert is fat. Way to not look for the inner beauty, people.

Karolina 4 life, yo.

And I will edit this position that BKV Gert was fine in small doses, it's an Immonen written Gert I'm worried about.

TexiKen on
    edited August 2009
    Maybe in the beginning, okay.

But she grew out of it for the most part.

Gert was awesome.

Faynor on
    edited August 2009
    The thing about Runaways is that it was really a bit of a finite concept. Vaughan really wrote the story with a pretty definitive beginning, middle, and end. I mean, you can only write the kids running away from shit, clashing with adults, and making up for their parents' illicit activities for so long. Add to that their distance from New York, the hotbed of activity in the Marvel U, and the fact that they're really not superheroes, so they have no reason to routinely brush up against any recognizable heroes or villains, and there's not much left to do with them.

I think everyone kind of forgets the shitty issues of Vaughan's Runaways, the ones that didn't involve the kids' feud with their parents. Any Runaways series was doomed to eventually end up just like those issues with Topher the vampire, or that old man who stole kids and lived in the sewer, or the giant demon that was summoned by some other old man. The only other options were to turn it into a character-driven book focusing on relationships, dialogue, and interactions between characters, which would eventually be canceled, or tie it into the wider Marvel Universe in a big way, which would really betray the whole concept of the book.

Munch on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is all of BKV's run out in digest form?

I'm low on cash, but I've been looking for a short, cheap, self-contained series to grab and go through. Runaways may fit the bill.

Edit: And just how many digest volumes is his run?

HadjiQuest on
    edited August 2009
    The X-Men are in San Fran now, and you've got the (Dark?) Initiative moving teams into every state who may or may not be for the good of the public.

I think that gives us a little more activity on the West Coast, at least. Something could be worked with.

Faynor on
    edited August 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    The thing about Runaways is that it was really a bit of a finite concept. Vaughan really wrote the story with a pretty definitive beginning, middle, and end. I mean, you can only write the kids running away from shit, clashing with adults, and making up for their parents' illicit activities for so long. Add to that their distance from New York, the hotbed of activity in the Marvel U, and the fact that they're really not superheroes, so they have no reason to routinely brush up against any recognizable heroes or villains, and there's not much left to do with them.

I think everyone kind of forgets the shitty issues of Vaughan's Runaways, the ones that didn't involve the kids' feud with their parents. Any Runaways series was doomed to eventually end up just like those issues with Topher the vampire, or that old man who stole kids and lived in the sewer, or the giant demon that was summoned by some other old man. The only other options were to turn it into a character-driven book focusing on relationships, dialogue, and interactions between characters, which would eventually be canceled, or tie it into the wider Marvel Universe in a big way, which would really betray the whole concept of the book.
    The Topher issues were perfectly fine, and really did a good job of showing how the kids were entirely out of their element. The old man in the sewer one was a great Molly-centric one-shot that gave a good idea of how everything that's been happening is harder on her than she shows and why she sleeps so much, even outside of power exhaustion. The Old Man and the Monster I'll give you, though.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited August 2009
    Am I the only one who wishes that the Runaways team would do more to investigate their own histories? We know so little about what the Pride was up to before the kids learned about them, and if I was them I'd at least want to raid their tech and money vaults, if not learn more about where I came from.

Hell, those kids are probably all millionaires.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2009
    Am I the only one who wishes that the Runaways team would do more to investigate their own histories? We know so little about what the Pride was up to before the kids learned about them, and if I was them I'd at least want to raid their tech and money vaults, if not learn more about where I came from.

None of them are millionaires until they're 21, I think is how it was resolved after their parents died.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited August 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »

None of them are millionaires until they're 21, I think is how it was resolved after their parents died.

There still have to be several caches of off the book dollars, just in case, in several of the Pride's former safehouses.

Robos A Go Go on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So apparently Deadpool is getting a third series, this one in a team-up vein. I'm kinda curious about it, as I always enjoy when he gets to play off other characters, but man, Marvel is sure whoring him out lately.

noir_blood on
    edited August 2009
    Agreed on the whole whoring him out bit, but as long as the quality's maintained, I'm A-okay with it. I really like the idea of a Deadpool team-up book though. Like you said, it's always fun to see him play off other characters.

Although I still wish that they'd have made one of the Deadpool books an Agency X book, with Outlaw, Agent X, Sandi, and Taskmaster co-starring.

Munch on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Amazing #612: Spidey beaten and left for dead in a shredded costume. That image has lost all value, because we see it at least once a month.

Hensler on
    edited August 2009
    Isn't Taskmaster still running part of the Initiative or has that all fallen apart at this point?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Yeah but come on, like he couldn't be put to better use playing the straight man to Deadpool's wacky antics.

Munch on
    edited August 2009
    well of course

but that would hurt the continuity

the continuity munch

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Speaking of continuity, I wonder if anyone will launch a bitchfest wondering how Deadpool can be in three different books, assorted minis, various one-shots, and guest appearances, all at the same time. Because that would be an awesome time to reveal that the various limbs and appendages Pool's lost over the years have grown into an army of Deadpools. Or better yet, that Agent X is moonlighting as Deadpool in one of the books, following a stint at Jenny Craig.

I'm not letting this Agent X thing go.

Munch on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Now that I think about it, I probably won't bother picking up anymore Wolverine: Origins since I've heard good things about Dark Wolverine.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    Because that would be an awesome time to reveal that the various limbs and appendages Pool's lost over the years have grown into an army of Deadpools.

That's hilarious.

Crimsondude on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Taskmaster was in the Deadpool/Thunderbolts crossover. I just read the trade yesterday, and Tasky was the best part.

Also, already knowing the secret of Black Widow made the whole thing pretty funny too.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited August 2009
    dang munch

that is the best idea

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I still feel like an idiot for not realizing that on the cover of Tbolt #134 or so (the cool one with Black Widow, Songbird, Fixer and Mach V) that Black Widow's hair was red until after the reveal.

Crimsondude on