As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What I learned from video games.

• LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    if they let their kids watch R rated movies then who gives a shit what they think?

Plenty of parents I'm sure are a shit ton smarter and better qualified then you?

Leitner on
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Leitner wrote: »
    In the form I fill out each session for elementary school kids that let's us give updates to the parents, I added a note about how this was a bad idea unless they would also let the 9 year old watch R rated movies after I described the day's classwork.

Uh, ever think that maybe they do? In which case they now probably think you're a patronising judgemental cock, but que sera sera.

He's just judgemental, which is a good thing. Parents are fucking stupid, and I can say that because I am one. When I come home from work and see my son watching shit on E!TV that my wife put on, it pisses me off, because that garbage is just as bad as any R-rated movie out there.

Sometimes, I just hope my son DOES turn out to be a serial killer. It would be better than a metrosexual "celebrity correspondent", which basically means movie-star dick-sucker.

Morvidus on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, I watched R-rated movies all the time when I was a kid, and look how well I turned out.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Kroyd_KrensonKroyd_Krenson Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I played one of those Gabriel Knight games, the one with the werewolves, and by the end of the game I knew some German.

No, really.

Kroyd_Krenson on
    steam_sig.png
  • DebaserZbsDebaserZbs Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Morvidus wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    DebaserZbs wrote: »
    I learned that war never changes.

But Mr. Snake assured me that war has changed. :?

The ramblings of an old man with a silly moustache

I trust Hellboy over Guyver.

Yeah, but he's Guyver and Snake. That's a two-in-one combo. And I could argue that I trust Guyver over the secondary character from Turok (also Perlman). Plus, if you don't trust Guyver, he'll probably hit you with elbow blades.

DebaserZbs on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned from Rock Band and Guitar Hero that I don't need booze, drugs, and hookers to become a rock star. But that lifestyle would be boring and uncool and wouldn't allow me to ever successfully play Through The Fire And Flames live.

Sweeney Tom on
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Morvidus wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I learned that war never changes.

But Mr. Snake assured me that war has changed. :?

The ramblings of an old man with a silly moustache

I trust Hellboy over Guyver.

Yeah, but he's Guyver and Snake. That's a two-in-one combo. And I could argue that I trust Guyver over the secondary character from Turok (also Perlman). Plus, if you don't trust Guyver, he'll probably hit you with elbow blades.

Perhaps I should have said Bubba Nosferatu?

Morvidus on
  • Hey AshtrayHey Ashtray Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Video games taught me how to procrastinate successfully.

Hey Ashtray on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Silent Hunter III taught me a great deal about the Atlantic shipping campaign. I learned how to plot a course to intercept Allied freighters and manually compute the data required for a torpedo firing solution. Also that ASDIC is one of the scariest things I've ever heard.

And that Hitler had a propaganda swing band. o_O

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    I learned a whole lot about configuring DOS from making boot disks to try and play Origin games.

Oh boy. Config.sys and autoexec.bat. emm, xmm, memmaker, no high mem...

Ultima VII and Privateer were the worst offender. and Wing Commander III

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned to recognize a lot of kinds of flora thanks to being an alchemist in Oblivion.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Most shooters out there taught me a lot about guns and ammo. Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Battlefield, etc.

Forza and Gran Turismo in a wierd way taught me how to drive more controlled at high speeds (Not kidding either). Not to mention I learned a ton of facts about cars.

Adventure games like Zelda and Final Fantasy helped highten my sense of direction and map reading skills.

US Navy Fighters '97 on PC taught me so much about military jets and simulated flight. (I wish they would remake this game so bad!!!!)

Every PC game I have ever owned is the reason I got educated with computers. All the upgrades and trying to make the damn games run became an obsession. Back in the days of Doom 1 using 9600 baud rate modems, on the DOS prompt, and modifying the init string to disable call waiting on the phone line so our game wouldn't get cut off. LOL

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    if they let their kids watch R rated movies then who gives a shit what they think?

Plenty of parents I'm sure are a shit ton smarter and better qualified then you?

dont get mad because either a) youre a bad parent or b) you have bad parents.

ratings exist for a reason. ive watched moms buy their 8yr olds GTA:SA without even looking at what game they are buying. but you know. arbitrary judgements based on nothing are fun arent they?

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Like alot of people, I first learned the word Dysentery from Oregon Trail. I also, unlike most of my other classmates, how to preserve resources to make it to your destination. I never did (as I only played it in school when we had a break), but I definitely got farther than most people.

Metal Gear Solid got me interested in gene theory and nuclear weapons long before I should have known about them.

never die on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I taught myself to convert decimal to hexadecimal and to use a hex editor in order to h4xX0r my save games files in Quest for Glory II and increase my money and stats.

Yar on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yar wrote: »
    I taught myself to convert decimal to hexadecimal and to use a hex editor in order to h4xX0r my save games files in Quest for Glory II and increase my money and stats.

Oh! That reminds me. The Star Trek 25th Anniversary adventure game taught me about base number systems. There was a puzzle where you had to type out the number 99 in base 3 (which is 10200). Of course, as a kid I had no idea what "Base 3" meant. So I tried all sorts of things, I even got the redshirt vaporized by putting in the wrong combination too many times (not the first one I got killed by stupid moves). I eventually realized that "Base 3" was some kind of math problem and asked my 5th grade teacher to figure it out (she specialized in math). She was boggled that one of her students was asking her about this.

stbase3puzzle.jpg

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    I learned a whole lot about configuring DOS from making boot disks to try and play Origin games.

Oh boy. Config.sys and autoexec.bat. emm, xmm, memmaker, no high mem...

Ultima VII and Privateer were the worst offender. and Wing Commander III

I remember Sierra games being the worst, around the time of... Aces of the Pacific, I think. You'd have to cram the mouse driver, the CD-ROM driver, SMARTDRV and the expanded memory manager in while leaving something ridiculous like 612K free. I think they were the only ones where I had to configure the order of the memory blocks to squeeze them together as tight as possible.

Orogogus on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh YEAH?! Try making Ultima VII running with full sound and voice WITHOUT using EMS or XMS, because it had a fucking proprietary memory extender system.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    QEMM was my homeboy. Even with it I don't think I ever got Serpent Isle to run with full voice.

On a related note, Origin had the best customer service back in the day. I spent hours on the phone with them working on my bootdisks.

Oh, and the UO beta taught me about the dangers of over-hunting.

I Zimbra on
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    While we are on the subject of DOS voodoo -

in the SET BLASTER = A220 IRQ:5 DMA:1 etc etc configuration, what did the A220 stand for? After recently finding dosbox that was one of the only config.sys parts I could not remember.

On topic reply -

Tetris helped with critical thinking, shooters with pattern recognition, and mmo's taught me how to lead people and not be a complete dick.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned how to both play and love hockey thanks to NHL 97 for the PS1. Ditto for football with Maddens 2001 and 2002 and NFL 2K5 for PS2. It's funny to me that my sports nerdery started with my traditional nerdery.

Peen on
    edited August 2009
    Oh YEAH?! Try making Ultima VII running with full sound and voice WITHOUT using EMS or XMS, because it had a fucking proprietary memory extender system.

I remember this making it easier, not harder. Setting up EMS for Origin games was a pain, since the expanded memory manager took a fair chunk of memory.
    MadPanda wrote:
    in the SET BLASTER = A220 IRQ:5 DMA:1 etc etc configuration, what did the A220 stand for? After recently finding dosbox that was one of the only config.sys parts I could not remember.
    A220 was the port, which only ever came up for me because I was running a Sound Blaster compatible (Yay Gravis Ultrasound) rather than an actual Creative Labs Sound Blaster card.

Orogogus on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Speaking of QEMM and HIMEM - Video games taught me the difference between Extended memory and Expanded memory.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I learned the correct stance for receiving a serve in tennis from Pete Sampras Tennis.

...Unfortunately, I can't hit the ball for shit, so it didn't exactly help much.

*insert joke about being the British No. 3 here*

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I actually learned a little bit about a chip shot from Links and Tiger Woods. The first time I ever played a real game of golf I hit a very nice chip, everyone laughed when I told them I just emulated what I saw in the games. Of course every subsequent attempt was never as good as the first.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    In the form I fill out each session for elementary school kids that let's us give updates to the parents, I added a note about how this was a bad idea unless they would also let the 9 year old watch R rated movies after I described the day's classwork.

Uh, ever think that maybe they do? In which case they now probably think you're a patronising judgemental cock, but que sera sera.

Ever think that after tutoring a kid for months where we talk about his family with my manager talking with the parents, I might just have a SLIGHT idea of what his parents are actually fine with, their unfamiliarity with modern video games, and what they want for their kids?

Anyway, since someone mentioned halberds, I was reminded of back when you could find like a dozen different polearms statted in D&D and games based off of it. Certainly added to my knowledge base of effectively useless information barring time travel.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Ever think that after tutoring a kid for months where we talk about his family with my manager talking with the parents, I might just have a SLIGHT idea of what his parents are actually fine with, their unfamiliarity with modern video games, and what they want for their kids?

Sorry, I missed that in the post I quoted.

Leitner on
  • AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Swat 3 taught me that if you scream out "Drop the weapon and get on the ground" a bunch and the old lady in the bathroom doesn't, then it's ok to shoot her in the face with pepper spray and hog tie her, leaving her all whiny and shit while you look for her pedophile murderous son in the creepy basement.

I also learned various crap about military vehicles and first aid from America's Army. I studied the shit out of it when I played that game. I really wante d the better classes.

I taught my self how a P90 clip works by playing Global Ops.

Little Big planet teaches me things daily, physics wise.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Anyway, since someone mentioned halberds, I was reminded of back when you could find like a dozen different polearms statted in D&D and games based off of it. Certainly added to my knowledge base of effectively useless information barring time travel.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0136.html

?

Gammarah on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Let's see.

From Dungeons of Daggorath:
    Most attacking monsters can be pacified for a while if you drop a bunch of junk like dead torches, obsolete swords, extra shields, etc. on the ground in front of them.
    The word "hale" somehow means healthy, so a flask with that word is good to drink. I don't know what "abye" means but that flask tries to kill you.

From other games:
    Various flight sims taught me how and why airfoils stall.

Legend of Zelda taught me how it's dangerous to go alone, take this.

Full Spectrum Warrior taught me you have to secure fallen enemies and friendlies, so kids wandering the streets don't loot the weapons and think they are toys.

America's Army taught me enlisting == suicide.

Left 4 Dead taught me the recommended dosage for all bottles of pills is the whole bottle, all at once.

Hunt the Wumpus taught me to be afraid of bats.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
    edited August 2009
    Minesweeper taught me that a 50/50 chance is suckers' odds.

Orogogus on
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    WipEout HD is slowly teaching me that I will invariably be screwed over by weapon pads. Opponent takes the lead (the only race he managed to), and somehow gets 4 bombs in one lap. Me, I'm lucky if I get one per RACE... unless I'm at the back after being walled by other ships, in which case 80% of pickups will be mines or bombs (the other 20% being cannons and autopilots), thus preventing me from finishing higher than 2nd (small room) or 3rd (large room).

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Gammarah wrote: »

Very much so. The fact that they felt the need to stat up the glaive, the guisarme, and the glaive-guisarme boggles the mind.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Very much so. The fact that they felt the need to stat up the glaive, the guisarme, and the glaive-guisarme boggles the mind.

Glaive-guisarmes exist? o_O and they gave stats to all of them?

Oh WotC, is there anything you won't do?

Gammarah on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Monty Python did it better.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Glaive-guisarmes exist? o_O and they gave stats to all of them?

Oh WotC, is there anything you won't do?

YMMV, but I'm running an encounter against some infantry from an actual army in a D&D game over in CF and I'm actually looking for a big list of polearms. While it's simulationist, having different stats for different polearms does open up some tactical possibilities (and in the context of OSR play, makes clear why they were statted out in the first place, cf. early Dragon against the 2e PHB.)

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Tales of Vesperia has taught me that Yuri Lowell is an undistilled badass and I will never be as cool as he is

Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Frem on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I love Order of the Stick. Lots of great D&D jokes wrapped up in a pretty good plot.

LockedOnTarget on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I played one of those Gabriel Knight games, the one with the werewolves, and by the end of the game I knew some German.

No, really.

Hate to break it to you, but....SchatenJaager or however it's spelled, isn't a real German term.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00