As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Less Mining, More Shooting: Dust 514, Console FPS MMO in the EVE Universe

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This thread reminded me that I never went and played Eternal Silence (I think that's what it's called?) a source engine mod with space combat + fps combat.

Satsumomo on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    this is going to add a whole new element to the spying, going to have people accepting contracts then throwing the match so a certain side wins.

Morkath on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    this is going to add a whole new element to the spying, going to have people accepting contracts then throwing the match so a certain side wins.

I'm going to assume they've thought of that already. But this is CCP we're talking about here, so they'll probably forget all about it and then try to claim it as a feature of how hardcore the game is.

Dark_Side on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    this game won't be perfect unless and entire dropship full of console players can be camped on one planet by some guy in a cloaked force recon

Finally having a use for my Stealth Bomber would be nice. I'd totally do CAS in that baby.

Arrath on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    As if they'd ever give Bombers a useful role. :P

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i...i think i just had 17 orgasms at once. This is now my most anticipated game.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Interestingly enough I think their best bet is to keep the planetary
    combat as disconnected from the space game
    as possible.

The only thing that should connect is the isk transfer (missions) and of course planetary control. That way both games can do what they need to succeed without interfearing
    with each other which seems to be the biggest pitfall of
    games that try to do two different things together. They tend to have two different engines
    meshing together and the more they try to integrate the more messed up both aspects become.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Agreed Sonar. Though I think the marines should have to buy gear from EVE players at the least. They need something to spend ISK on after all. Who knows, maybe the marines will need to buy tanks, APCs, various aircraft, light-armored-vehicles, ect.

However it turns out I hope CCP does not underestimate the underhandedness of the EVE community.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    Agreed Sonar. Though I think the marines should have to buy gear from EVE players at the least. They need something to spend ISK on after all. Who knows, maybe the marines will need to buy tanks, APCs, various aircraft, light-armored-vehicles, ect.

However it turns out I hope CCP does not underestimate the underhandedness of the EVE community.

Dropping onto a planet's surface for a mission, without your other squadmates noticing you plant an explosive device on the dropship.

"Secure the landing site, I'll scout ahead."

As you turn a large columned corner and disappear from your squadmates sight, a large explosion rocks the landing site. Your account is credited with several hundred million isk from the enemy corp as you fade into the urban sprawl.

See now that is what I hope I can do.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    edited August 2009
    Ah yes, getting paid for teamkilling. As if the console players need an incentive to team kill :P

Arrath on
    edited August 2009
    Arrath wrote: »
    Ah yes, getting paid for teamkilling. As if the console players need an incentive to team kill :P

Because backstabbing and being a douche doesnt already exist in EVE at all :P

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    A way of playing Eve (a boring game in which lots of cool things happen) without being bored?

Color me interested.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2009

Oh no I agree, all the backstabbing, backroom politics, espionage, and propaganda is part of what makes EVE unique. It'd be really cool if they kept the same spirit in an mmofps.

Arrath on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

Oh no I agree, all the backstabbing, backroom politics, espionage, and propaganda is part of what makes EVE unique. It'd be really cool if they kept the same spirit in an mmofps.

Nah, they'll make it all kid-friendly and put in auto-aim and give everyone regenerating health and have bunnies squirt out of people instead of blood and you don't actually shoot anyone you just give them hugs.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I really don't know whether to be impressed or scared.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
    edited August 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

Nah, they'll make it all kid-friendly and put in auto-aim and give everyone regenerating health and have bunnies squirt out of people instead of blood and you don't actually shoot anyone you just give them hugs.

I would still play this.

mere_immortal on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

They will. Because if they don't, the game will tank.

Let's say it sells to every single person who is playing EVE online at the moment. Even if it did, it would still have sold worse than the fucking Terminator 4 game.

The_Scarab on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, your typical cliche X-box kiddie would never survive in the arbitrarily unfair world of EVE.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This sounds like it could have the potential to be really interesting. The idea of Planetside done right is mighty appealing. Then again I've (admittedly) never played EVE, but from everything I've seen, heard, and read it sounds dreadfully boring, overly convoluted, and excessively political and I have to wonder how well that would play out for the ground pounders. It would suck to be on a team that's constantly getting it's ass kicked because players in a completely different MMO have been playing for far longer and have tons of stuff set up already, or EVE factional grudges leading to incessant backstabbing on the battlefield.

Although, it'd be hilarious if it turns out that there's so much backstabbing going on, that entire teams are comprised of enemy spies. So that the red team is staffed entirely by blue guys, and the blue team is entirely red, and the two teams end up competing over who can throw the match more.

Dartboy on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If that's going to happen to anybody, it'll be the Goons. Who I'd be playing with, except the learning curve for that game is too high for my level of interest and available time to play MMOs.

devoir on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The consequences for players in the "ground game" would have to be pretty far removed from the consequences for players in EVE. That's why I sort of expect this game to be really detached from what's actually going on in EVE, but give EVE players the additional hook of being able to influence events there.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    The consequences for players in the "ground game" would have to be pretty far removed from the consequences for players in EVE. That's why I sort of expect this game to be really detached from what's actually going on in EVE, but give EVE players the additional hook of being able to influence events there.

Nah. The opposite. Make this game absolutely crucial to the full eve universe so that super hardcore pro corps have to get all their members buying it and playing it.

The_Scarab on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    can the show they are running succeed that way, though? It seems like they are hyping this as a standalone game, not a console expansion for eve

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If I can pick this up and play more easily than EVE, I'm in. My problem with EVE is mostly with the system of getting into it after I've been out for a few months (this is why I don't play EVE, I don't have the spare time). Though MerchI aren't as pissed at me as they were a few months back.

Mortal Sky on
    edited August 2009
    It could be interesting if they integrate this into a planetary occupation expansion for Eve.

Blockade a planet, start off a surface war. Provide resources via your ships or you can't spawn anymore dudes. Complete/defend objectives, win the surface war to gain the ground advantage.
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    If I can pick this up and play more easily than EVE, I'm in. My problem with EVE is mostly with the system of getting into it after I've been out for a few months (this is why I don't play EVE, I don't have the spare time). Though MerchI aren't as pissed at me as they were a few months back.

This, very much.

I also hope that you can setup a smaller mercenary group that can get hired by the big boys, without having to be part of the big boys. There's way too much stuff to keep up with regarding Eve politics with Goonswarm, etc.

devoir on
  • BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    devoir wrote: »
    It could be interesting if they integrate this into a planetary occupation expansion for Eve.

Blockade a planet, start off a surface war. Provide resources via your ships or you can't spawn anymore dudes. Complete/defend objectives, win the surface war to gain the ground advantage.

They've explicitly stated this is the case. The first part at least, the details on how the ship/soldier games interact with each other haven't been elaborated on other than that dust will be used in 0.0 sov warfare in the upcoming sov expansion.

Bremen on
    edited August 2009
    Ah, okay. I didn't notice much in the way of details from their initial announcement, but the coverage I've seen was pretty minimal.

devoir on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    An intense firefight over a mining industry, hour long battle, both sides giving it their all.

Then suddenly a random dude in a Dreadnaught decides he is bored and launches a capital ship killing missile at the mine.

TheCrumblyCracker on
    edited August 2009
    devoir on
  • Jelly JigglerJelly Jiggler Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Its a mmo in a mmo.

My mind is blown and im buying this.

Jelly Jiggler on
    camo_sig2.png
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I really hate how anything and everything is called an MMO these days.
    K: The game isn't a sole shooter, but from the announcement also a MMO. How massive will be your multiplayer, how many people can take part in one skirmish?
    CCP: If we take how many people can take part in one skirmish, I wouldn't call it MMO. We rather take the huge world of Eve Online in which the game takes place, and where many people account for. I can't tell at the moment how many players can take part in one fight. For one this is limited by the hardware but also which team sizes make sense and how the maps will look like etc.

"Skirmish"-based gameplay is not an MMO. And, quite frankly, FPS + mind-bogglingly boring bullshit you will inevitably have to go through in order to play that FPS < just a fucking FPS.

Garthor on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wait

...what?

What is this

What's happening

Where am I

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I have never played EVE but I know how big a douche people can be in that game, so considering that console players may become unwitting pawns in the grand schemes of the high and mighty corporate archons, fills me with dread and amusement.

I predict a worse case scenario of someone getting shot over this, not dying, just shot.

edit: I can just imagine explaining this to fratboys.
    You see all these people, they want to fuck you in the ass. Some of them will note use lube, others will trick you into greasing the chute. Still others will hire a shadow syndicate to become your best friend and slowly seduce you and make you gay. Then they will break up with you so that the person who wants to fuck you in the ass can let you pick them up on the rebound and let them fuck you in the ass.

But on the upside, with a lot of patience, you can do the same thing, maybe ever better.

RoyceSraphim on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm still not entirely clear on what this is

Whatever it is I never in my entire life thought I'd see anything like it, I can tell you that for sure!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh, great. So if I have an off day I not only lose a game but have someone who lost an investment of thousands of spacegamebux on me angry at my gamertag. I've seen the writeups of the shenanigans that go on in EVE; those fuckers hold grudges but deep.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    All cynicism aside, I love the idea of jumping from a space sim to a planet side combat sim. Battlefront 2 is my bishi. That said, I also predict what happened in Galaxies will happen here. A massive marketing and update in one direction and then a MASSIVE course correction in another that tosses of a few subscribers and may make the system better or worse.

RoyceSraphim on
    edited August 2009
    Bursar wrote: »
    Oh, great. So if I have an off day I not only lose a game but have someone who lost an investment of thousands of spacegamebux on me angry at my gamertag. I've seen the writeups of the shenanigans that go on in EVE; those fuckers hold grudges but deep.

Brings up an interesting point. How the hell are teams arranged? Do people just anonymously join games? That would reduce the interaction from EVE to just be a hole that money is thrown into and then something happens. Do people have to form persistent military groups? That would reduce the console game to Thumb Twiddling Simulator Three: Twiddle Harder. I mean, buying a console game and then NOT BEING ABLE TO EVEN PLAY IT at the whims of the enormous douchefuckers playing EVE? Fuck me if that is not the worst idea ever.

Garthor on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    EVE is a hole that you throw money into. It's a MMO, by definition you're paying to achieve nonexistent effects.

This is probably the only way i'd play EVE again. The concept of a MMOFPSRTS in the EVE Universe would be great.

What's more, it'd add the human element that I felt was lacking when I tried to get into it before. Without that element of human interaction, the game just felt like a lifeless wasteland of endless space punctuated by the occasional meaningless landmark, and simulated spreadsheets.

Archonex on
    edited August 2009
    Archonex wrote: »
    EVE is a hole that you throw money into. It's a MMO, by definition you're paying to achieve nonexistent effects.

This is probably the only way i'd play EVE again. The concept of a MMOFPSRTS in the EVE Universe would be great.

What's more, it'd add the human element that I felt was lacking when I tried to get into it before. Without that element of human interaction, the game just felt like a lifeless wasteland of endless space punctuated by the occasional meaningless landmark, and simulated spreadsheets.

No, you misunderstand. My point is that either a player in EVE is paying money for absolutely no control over the outcome of the battle (as players are joining at random anyway), or a player of Dust is not able to actually play the game without getting the go-ahead from a player in EVE (as they are only playing games which they are paid for).

Thinking about it now, a middle-ground that makes sense would be that games are filled with random people, but an EVE player can pay money to instead pick an organized team to fight the battle for them. However, this is what we call a "pubstomp" and is really actually very much not fun.

Garthor on
  • Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    You know what? Fuck this. We don't really know enough to really speculate or criticize them over this game just yet, because any information that they've given to us is way too vague to even form a valid opinion over it other than it's a console MMO and it will effect Eve Online's Sov. in some way. The game has been under wraps for threes whole years (almost as long as EvE was under development) and we've only gotten a small trinket of info about it as of right now. I think we need to wait until we know more about how this is all going to play out before we crucify CCP to a cross.

And if the information down the road is as bad as everyone thinks it's going to be...well then THATS when we burn them at the stake and stone them for birthing the antichrist, but as right now the panic attack really needs to stop.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png