As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who wants to make a new game? :D

• yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    To unlock one of the things, you have to beat one of the quests on Hard I think. I think Q2. It's hard for me to remember because I set the unlock criteria in like 30 minutes amidst a bunch of other stuff. But I think it's Medium on Q2 and Q3 and then Hard on Q2.. Or maybe you have to beat Quest 2.5 on Medium to get something. Hard to remember. D.Mode is not unlocked by beating a Quest.....

I think beating one of the quests.. I think it's Q2.. .on Hard, I believe unlocks Quest H. I think.

Quest H is a bitch though so I'd be surprised if someone is able to beat it.

I did. :P

yurnamehere on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Hm, I just played Quest H, it's not too too hard.. iirc It's like Quest 3 in that it randomizes stuff, so you might get lucky. What makes it hard is that there's no sword and the dragons are set to Expert and the Bat camps.

slash000 on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The bat camps? How do you mean?

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
    edited May 2009
    only on Quest H. It'll camp the gold castle. Quest H is meant to be the hardest since it's a bonus quest and I figured, why not. It's pretty easy to avoid anyway, despite camping the gold castle.

slash000 on
    edited May 2009
    OK, so a side effect of trying to make the bat more like the original bat is that he's going to sometimes exhibit the "wiggliness" of the original game when tracking items. it won't be all the time just when he's tracking an item. In other words making the bat more like the original bat results in the bat exhibiting behavior like the original bat.

Today I'm done with exams and can put more time into this new Bat code.

I've spent like an hour on it already and I can already tell you it'll be a lot better.

slash000 on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In other words making the bat more like the original bat results in the bat exhibiting behavior like the original bat.
    :rotate::rotate::rotate:

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's not the bat we needed, it's the bat we deserved.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • PsyringePsyringe Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    Very nice work indeed, thanks for a beautiful remake of an all-time classic. The remake updates graphics and sound while keeping the gameplay intact, nicely done!

The only shortfall is the erratic behavior of the bat. Also, sometimes objects seem to get "lost" - I search the whole kingdom without finding them. This usually happens after the bat stole them, so it may be fixed by the announced bat code rewrite. Was that rewrite finished?

I also found a (somewhat arcane) bug: If the bat picks a live dragon up while in duck mode, it will carry the "non-duck" version of the dragon, and the duck graphics will remain on screen (without a colision box). Not a big deal by any means (most players will probably never get into a situation where they can see this bug, and even if it happens, it is just a graphics glitch without any effect on gameplay).

Psyringe on
    edited August 2009
    Hello thread revival! :)

Yeah, the bat is erratic at least compared to the original game in terms of his overworld flying activity. I started rewriting the bat code but it got a lot more complicated than it probably needs to be and I kind of "lost track" of the code. Like I got the bat semi-working like the original but as I added on the bat's features (such as picking up the different items, the 'boredom' timer, the ability to be picked up by the player), and the layers of code kept getting stacked upon each other, it got really convoluted and kind of unworkable.

I got really busy this summer and I'm still pretty busy now, but I've been trying to come up with a good way to fit the bat recoding into my schedule this Fall and see if I can't nail it down perfectly. The Bat is essentially the only thing that is noticeably different from the original game and I might as well try and perfect that last major detail before 'officially' retiring from it. (plus minor glitch fixes).

It's a lot of hard work, especially for someone who's not really a "programmer." So it'll probably take a long, long time, especially since the bat is the most complicated aspect of the entire game.

edit: In fact, now that you bring it up, i might as well get organized and try to re-do the bat again starting tonight.

slash000 on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd been watching this project closely but completely forgot all about it when you managed to release during a time of no internet during a house move.

Now all the download links are non-functioning! Sad.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    This one should still work.

halkun on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    :^:

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited August 2009
    I've been trying to come up with a good way to fit the bat recoding into my schedule this Fall and see if I can't nail it down perfectly. The Bat is essentially the only thing that is noticeably different from the original game and I might as well try and perfect that last major detail before 'officially' retiring from it. (plus minor glitch fixes).

It's a lot of hard work, especially for someone who's not really a "programmer." So it'll probably take a long, long time, especially since the bat is the most complicated aspect of the entire game.

edit: In fact, now that you bring it up, i might as well get organized and try to re-do the bat again starting tonight.

That would be great! As you said, the bat is the only major gameplay difference in an otherwise extremely faithful remake. I'll keep my fingers crossed ... :)

Psyringe on
    edited September 2009
    Still keeping my fingers crossed. :)

Psyringe on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll be downloading this tonght...it looks pretty awesome Slash...and this is coming from a guy who grew up loving the original...like I'm sure you did.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited January 2010
    Hey guys! It's been a while!

So, long story short, this project got a C&D so I shut it down.

Incidentally I was about to release a new version; I had coded an entirely new engine from the ground up. The new engine is far more robust. Very few glitches. The Bat works perfectly. All those original complaints were addressed.

But the new engine is for naught unless we come up with a new overworld.

And a new game title.

Who wants to help design a new overworld map? All of my art and tiles were totally original and so we can still use those (And the music and Sound FX were all original). But the overworld map must be new!

And any suggestions for a new game title would be great.

slash000 on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    "Amazing Adventures in Adventureland"

"Quest for the Thing"

"Dragonduck Chronicles"

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
    edited January 2010
    How do you feel about a procedural map generation system, where the user can enter any "code" or "number" they want and a map will be generated based on that?

We would then have to identify which codes or numbers end up creating the original map layouts, and write code so it disallows those. This should not be construed as some attempt to bypass the C&D by providing only a framework and leaving it up to the user to find and enter codes for the original maps.

mspencer on
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
    edited January 2010
    Dragonduck Chronicles.

I like it.

I think we might go with that.

Anybody feel like they could design some overworld areas? Or Dungeons? I have all of my completely original art assets, and the tools to lay them into overworld/dungeon maps are freeware.

Might end up sprinkling in a little more Zelda-esque flavor into this now that it's a "new" game.

slash000 on
    edited January 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    How do you feel about a procedural map generation system, where the user can enter any "code" or "number" they want and a map will be generated based on that?

We would then have to identify which codes or numbers end up creating the original map layouts, and write code so it disallows those. This should not be construed as some attempt to bypass the C&D by providing only a framework and leaving it up to the user to find and enter codes for the original maps.

That would be cool. A way to randomly generate maps.

Perhaps we could do both. Make a main overworld/dungeons and then have an additional Quest that generates entirely random overworlds.

I might be able to mod my current game engine to do that. I can't think of an algorithm for random map generation off the top of my head but I haven't thought about it yet.

But as of right now it's pretty much a full fledged "adventure" style engine and is just awaiting an overworld to play on :)

slash000 on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wait what?

Stupid companies with their

companies.

Either way, if we end up needing a place with a different feel from others I'd be happy to write new/modify existing music to fit in with any atmosphere changes.

Stupid whoever C+D'd this.

Khavall on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is sad news.

This is awesome news.

Drake on
    edited January 2010
    It's okay. It might be fun to do a new game anyway.

Anybody can do the maps. It's as simple as doodling. Except when you doodle it lays down art tiles. And the art tiles are mine, which I made from scratch, and I have them all available.

Quick and easy to make the world. Just need a design for one to make it.

edit:

Also, this frees things up for any other new ideas or suggestions. Since we're not stuck to old game design, I can add new things (within reason). Like I'm thinking about adding new enemies. Maybe give the player a permanent sword. make the dungeons longer. Add puzzle based bosses. Stuff like that is within feasibility.

slash000 on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    At the edge of Adventure

LewieP on
    edited January 2010
    I'm trying to think of one myself. If it is indeed true that specific map designs can be copyrighted but general gameplay mechanics cannot: (and I am not a lawyer so I don't know if that's true or not)

I imagine we should identify certain screen "classes" from the existing game and for each class we figure out what gameplay elements are present. Mazes have certain lengths of movement area or barrier. Maze corridors can be formed into a variety of primitive shapes.

Then we identify how we can mix and match these things, what can be separated from what, creating a kind of low-level design grammar.

Then we need rules for what has to be true about the design for the game to be playable. There must be open paths between each of these objects. When locked doors are present, items must be reachable in a way that satisfies their dependencies. The bat cannot drop an object in unreachable areas. Etc.

We could then figure out what kind of "map chunks" to create out of the primitives above, maybe to rule out some known impossible/unplayable combinations. That reduces the possibility space and should lead to shorter codes for the user to remember.

This also gives us a way for the game to figure out that a code entered by the user (or produced by a random number generator) would produce an unwinnable game layout. Better to find out immediately rather than play for two hours and get frustrated and quit.

Not easy, but that's one way to go.

mspencer on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    I'm trying to think of one myself. If it is indeed true that specific map designs can be copyrighted but general gameplay mechanics cannot: (and I am not a lawyer so I don't know if that's true or not)

I imagine we should identify certain screen "classes" from the existing game and for each class we figure out what gameplay elements are present. Mazes have certain lengths of movement area or barrier. Maze corridors can be formed into a variety of primitive shapes.

Then we identify how we can mix and match these things, what can be separated from what, creating a kind of low-level design grammar.

Then we need rules for what has to be true about the design for the game to be playable. There must be open paths between each of these objects. When locked doors are present, items must be reachable in a way that satisfies their dependencies. The bat cannot drop an object in unreachable areas. Etc.

We could then figure out what kind of "map chunks" to create out of the primitives above, maybe to rule out some known impossible/unplayable combinations. That reduces the possibility space and should lead to shorter codes for the user to remember.

This also gives us a way for the game to figure out that a code entered by the user (or produced by a random number generator) would produce an unwinnable game layout. Better to find out immediately rather than play for two hours and get frustrated and quit.

Not easy, but that's one way to go.

It should also be noted that the sounds and score were written with the idea of contiguous atmospheric chunks. e.g. the "Dark Forest" sounds and music would sound silly over the "Wharves" area, so we'd need an way to have consistent "areas" with constant atmosphere.

Khavall on
    edited January 2010
    It's true that the gameplay mechanics can't be copyrighted. Or else a lot of games on the market would be in trouble! :P

Which is fortunate, because this current iteration of the game engine is good.

Anyway, I like the idea of code generated or random generated worlds. It's tough thinking of a way to do that though. I think it's possible but might take quite a bit of work.

slash000 on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Now that you're not trying to directly emulate something, any plans as to any additional features you want to add?

jothki on
    edited January 2010
    jothki wrote: »
    Now that you're not trying to directly emulate something, any plans as to any additional features you want to add?

Well, the floor is open. I'm taking suggestions.

So far I like the idea of random and/or code generated worlds, but I'll have to think hard about how to program that in.

As far as features, well I was thinking maybe giving the player a permanent sword and adding new enemies to the world, and puzzle-based bosses to the dungeons. Still up in the air though, just thoughts I've considered.

Or, we could just keep the gameplay mechanics the same and just have a new overworld.

What do you guys think?

slash000 on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    LewieP wrote: »
    At the edge of Adventure

:^:

Impersonator on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wait.

...who even owns the rights to Adventure?

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited January 2010
    Pata wrote: »
    Wait.

...who even owns the rights to Adventure?

Atari, Inc.

Incidentally, they offer Adventure 2600 to play for free on their own website.

For whatever reason, they want to maintain control and oversight of their "classic" properties right now. I don't know the details. But it's really up to them, since it's their IP.

slash000 on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Procedurally generated shit is very hard, but super neat if you get it right.

I'm right now trying to generate an entire city procedurally - buildings, rooms, doodads, all that shit - for an entirely other game. I'm pretty sure I've bitten off way fucking more than I can chew, but whatever, it's all fun.

Imperfect on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You got a cease and desist for remaking ADVENTURE? That is pretty dumb.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You got a cease and desist for remaking ADVENTURE? That is pretty dumb.

You have no idea.

I was already telling slash, that atari probably bought the rights to the ideas of: "Dragons", "Hero's" and the word "Adventure"

delphinus on
    edited January 2010
    Well, nobody can hold a copyright to an idea. And certainly they cannot copyright the term Adventure.

They can trademark certain things, but the word Adventure is extremely generic. Completely generic terms usually get no trademark protection at all.

So really, I don't know what they have. We didn't copy any code, didn't copy any art or audio assets. Nothing in the remake was in the original. Everything was built from the ground up. There may have been an issue with the title of the game but that can be changed easily.

In any case, it doesn't matter. I've got this new engine and we can make a new game with it.

slash000 on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm surprised that they decided to cease and desist that, but looking forward to what comes out of this!

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also, this frees things up for any other new ideas or suggestions. Since we're not stuck to old game design, I can add new things (within reason). Like I'm thinking about adding new enemies. Maybe give the player a permanent sword. make the dungeons longer. Add puzzle based bosses. Stuff like that is within feasibility.

Perhaps you could give the main character a green tunic, and have to save some sort of princess

Rent on
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'd just call the game Anatidaephobia.

Artereis on
    edited January 2010
    Making a decent maze is harder than it seems..

Anyone want to draw a simple maze for this new version?

All I need is a maze. Can draw it in any format or any way you want and I can turn it into the game with the artwork and everything. I just need a basic design. If there are no takers I'll figure one out myself but the opportunity is here for anyone who wants to try their hand at making a maze for this game.

You can scribble it out on a piece of paper and take a webcam photo and send it to me if you like. Or you can draw it up in MS Paint. Or do something sophisticated with a drawing tablet thing. Doesn't matter to me; I'll do the involved work of turning the design into the game. I just need a basic maze for this.

The general layout is this:

gamemap2.jpg

The letters correspond to where you enter/leave. So if you exit a room heading right through a side marked A, you enter from the left on the other side marked A. And so on.

I just need to make some kind of maze covering this sort of lay out.

slash000 on